Should I feel ripped off?

Johnnybeachboy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
65 (100%)
Hey everyone, just wanted to ask the forums here if I got ripped off.

I visited an acquaintance of mine today to drop off some school notes for his little brother and we had a conversations regarding the new consoles that are releasing. Eventually, my acquaintance said that his little brother wanted to sell his xbox 360 250GB. I was his brother's superior on the beach I worked at.

I lost his number so I got it from my acquaintance and earlier today at around 10P.M I went up to their house again to bargain on the price.

I chatted with the brother for around thirty minutes because I knew him from school (And considered him sort of a friend). I also wanted to talk to him before I left to go to my university. However, I got him down to $120 and his brother (the person I was talking to earlier) walks in and says I was ripping him off. I chuckle because he was being ridiculous. I give the little brother the money and shake his hand (SEALING the deal)  His stepfather comes in and the trio have a discussion. Ultimately the step-father asks if I could give the boy an extra ten due to the pricing of the items included. At this point I was frustrated and wanted to leave. I figured if I didn't like it I could resell it. (I've been wanting to get an Xbox for awhile but only on the cheap)

I gave the little brother a hug before I left because I always kept an eye on him in school (he's going to be a Sophmore) His mother also told me that he talked about me often. Was all the stress worth it?

here's the list of items a bought for $130:

1x 250GB Xbox S Glossy (console had typical wear but the interiors ran perfectly. However, there was some sticker residue I need to remove and some scuffs I need to dull out, it hasn't been used in ages)

1x rechargeable battery for wireless controllers.

1x associated cords (AV, power brick, etc)

1x Xbox headset (which he forgot to hand it to me, it was 11 o'clock at night and they're parents were annoyed)

All games were in very good to like new conditon

PS3

1x Call of Duty Black Ops

1x Littlebigplanet: Game of the Year edition

Xbox

1x Guitar Hero: Legends of Rock

1x Call of Duty 4 Game of the year Edition

1x Gears of War Trilogy (Code might be used)

1x The Beatles Rock Band (somehow new....)

1x Dead Rising 2

The controller was destroyed during Hurricane Sandy. That normally would've been a deal breaker. I figured I could find a cheap controller or mod one of my PS3 ones.

I'm alittle pissed because I didn't act clever. The whole situation was stupid. I'm going to have to talk to them since they still owe me a cheapo headset.

Last edited by a moderator:
No offense, but I think you're making a bit of a big deal out of $10. I think it was a solid deal, less so because of the lack of a controller, but it's pretty common to pay a premium when buying from friends/family. All that really matters is do you like the stuff you got? If so then you should enjoy them and not sweet the small stuff, and if not well you can always sell it again :)

No offense, but I think you're making a bit of a big deal out of $10. I think it was a solid deal, less so because of the lack of a controller, but it's pretty common to pay a premium when buying from friends/family. All that really matters is do you like the stuff you got? If so then you should enjoy them and not sweet the small stuff, and if not well you can always sell it again :)
But... but... they shook hands! That SEALED the deal!! You never break playground rules!

All jokes aside, even after paying the extra $10 and broken stuff, you still got a pretty sweet deal. I would still talk to them and let them know about the issues though.

The disk tray is too sensitive. Keeps popping open and the rubbing alcohol isnt working on the sticker issue.

It this point I dont give a damn. Going to ask him to take it back. Should wait for a price drop.

Not very happy with it either.

Enough alcohol or goo-gone will work on any sticker residue.

I think you might be able to get the money back. Since you guys are in high school (said something about him going to be a sophmore), most parents will just tell their kids to give back the money to not cause a fuss.

Good life lesson on negotiation I guess and don't sweat going up 10 bucks.

bread's done
Back