Should I get a Gamecube?

Santorum X

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
My birthday is around the corner and my sis asked me what I would like as a gift. She offered to get me a Gamecube because this is the only next-gen system that I don't have. The question I ask my fellow CAGers is should I take the GC or get something else? A GC would be nice but I have games that I still need to play (and finish), and I am not really big on Zelda, nor Metroid, nor Mario (any more). Also, looking at the game line up for the GC doesn't impress either. So what do you guys think I should do?

I love gamecube, but then again, I love Nintendo games. Metroid Prime and Zelda Windwaker are among my favorite games. If you don't like that type of game, don't get a gamecube. Some other notables are Super Smash, Viewtiful Joe, and Mario Kart. If you don't like those as well, stay away from gamecube.

Find a friend who has a gamecube and rent a few a games. Give the games a try before you pass them off, you might be surprised. Personally I love my GC and its the only console I play, other than my GBA SP, and I have all the others as well. But again its a matter of liking the games or not.

[quote name='sj41']Why would you get it if you don't want it?[/quote]

I never said I didn't want it. If I had it I would definately get Viewtiful Joe and Ikaruga, both I have played and enjoyed. I just would feel that I wouldn't buy too many games for it and wouldn't play with as much as my Xbox, PS2, and DC. Any game recommendations besides Mario, Metroid, and Zelda?

[quote name='Santorum X'][quote name='sj41']Why would you get it if you don't want it?[/quote]

I never said I don't want it. If I had it I would definately get Viewtiful Joe and Ikaruga, both I have played and enjoyed. I just would feel that I wouldn't buy too many games for it and wouldn't play with as much as my Xbox, PS2, and DC. Any game recommendations besides Mario, Metroid, and Zelda?[/quote]

animal crossing...its just the only game you need.

GC seems to be hit or miss with people. I would take dcfox's addvice, try one for a week. I dont really play mine too much........

[quote name='punqsux']animal crossing...its just the only game you need.[/quote]

I always did want to try that game out. Is it like the Sims? I hope not because I grew tired of the Sims after couple of days.

[quote name='Santorum X'][quote name='punqsux']animal crossing...its just the only game you need.[/quote]

I always did want to try that game out. Is it like the Sims? I hope not because I grew tired of the Sims after couple of days.[/quote]
Its like the Sims and then again its not like the sims. But some other exclusives you should try out are the RE's. It would help though if we knew what you were into.

[quote name='Santorum X'][quote name='punqsux']animal crossing...its just the only game you need.[/quote]

I always did want to try that game out. Is it like the Sims? I hope not because I grew tired of the Sims after couple of days.[/quote]

its a virtual town. not a sim! its most comparable to something like ultima online w/o fighting. you collect and trade items, get $ for doing tasks and stuff like that. the game is always going even when youre not playing. if u stop playing for a long time, it will ask where youve been, oh man, if u ever reset the game without saving...youre gunna get bitched at hardcore

[quote name='punqsux']http://www.gamestop.com/gs/bundle/gc_1.asp

cube with animal crossing, 80 bells...oops, 80 bucks[/quote]
Just to show you how much I play this game, I've amassed a fortune of over 4,000,000 bells.

[quote name='dcfox'][quote name='punqsux']http://www.gamestop.com/gs/bundle/gc_1.asp

Just to show you how much I play this game, I've amassed a fortune of over 4,000,000 bells.[/quote]

oh man, i cant wait for a sequal to this. i hope its online. so many nerds wouldnt have lives, or in my case, less of a life than i have now ^^

[quote name='punqsux'][quote name='dcfox'][quote name='punqsux']http://www.gamestop.com/gs/bundle/gc_1.asp

Just to show you how much I play this game, I've amassed a fortune of over 4,000,000 bells.[/quote]

oh man, i cant wait for a sequal to this. i hope its online. so many nerds wouldnt have lives, or in my case, less of a life than i have now ^^[/quote]
I know how you feel. I was disappointed when it wasn't mentioned during Nintendo's e3 press release. But I'm also looking foward to Animal Crossing DS. Portable Animal Crossing is going to be awesome!

[quote name='dcfox'][quote name='punqsux'][quote name='dcfox'][quote name='punqsux']http://www.gamestop.com/gs/bundle/gc_1.asp

oh man, i cant wait for a sequal to this. i hope its online. so many nerds wouldnt have lives, or in my case, less of a life than i have now ^^[/quote]
I know how you feel. I was disappointed when it wasn't mentioned during Nintendo's e3 press release. But I'm also looking foward to Animal Crossing DS. Portable Animal Crossing is going to be awesome![/quote]

i like the way you think! i always thought that it would work on the gba, but on the ds it could prolly even look better than the cube version (which, just for people who dont know, was developed for n64)

I kind of feel bad for the Europeans. From what I hear Animal Crossing hasn't been released over there yet. Also I've always wanted to import Animal Forest for my N64 just to see what its like.

To answer Santorum X: Twin Snakes, Geist, and Killer 7 should fill your needs. The last two games however won't be out for a while.

For once, I actually recommended someone not get a GameCube, simply because there's not much reason to get one if you're not into Nintendo's big franchises. If you don't have a GBA SP, it's almost worth getting just for the GBA Player alone; but as for the games you mentioned, Ikaruga was a DreamCast game (right?), and Viewtiful Joe is coming out on PS2 and the (horrible idea) PSP.

I myself really like the GC's design and feel, but it's hard to recommend a system based on something so opinionated.

Animal Crossing is really cool. It's really not much like The Sims, because it's more about character interaction. Also cool is the timed events, such as characters remembering your birthday, and special events that are only going on during different months and seasons. Cool game. Edit: Oops, looks like I kinda missed the Animal Crossing conversation, aheh....

Anyway, I'd say have your sister buy you a couple of games for other systems, or maybe some Family Guy or Adult Swim DVDs. Yep.

I'd say that you should try it out first, and seriously get a feel for it. The only problem with games are that on the Gamecube they seem to be more expensive. Try getting Eternal Darkness if you like survival horror. If you like star wars, Rebel Squadron 2 and 3 are good choices (I own 3 myself). Animal Crossing is a brilliant game ^ see up for examples. I personally have and LOOOOVE harvest moon a wonderful life. which is kind of like animal crossing only with a farming simulation. It makes all the farming chores seem not so tedious but fun. Have you ever played a harvest moon game? That's an option.
There are multi-console games too. Personally if I were you i'd save up a shitload of money because there are about 40 total must have games coming out at the end of the year for me i forgot about. (Mortal Kombat Deception, GT 4, GTA SA, Kingdom Hearts 2, The Sims 2, KH Chain of Memories, NBC Game, Time Crisis Zone, Splinter Cell 3, the PSP, the DS, and a SHITLOAD more .. see Gamespot and their E3 list for a full list of games premiered at E3.)
I just realized this and now i'm screwed. So i'm saving up every dime for the games I want.

[quote name='"Santorum X"'][quote name='sj41']I just would feel that I wouldn't buy too many games for it and wouldn't play with as much as my Xbox, PS2, and DC. Any game recommendations besides Mario, Metroid, and Zelda?[/quote]

I thought the same thing when I got one for X-mas (even though I have always loved Nintendo I couldn't get excited for GameCube).

Anyway, I think I've bought 10 games for it since X-mas and I'm thoroughly impressed in all phases. I play it more than any of my other systems now easily.

Eternal Darkness is a good one...only GC exclusive I can think of off the top of my head that hasn't been mentioned.

I've got the big 3. The cube is the least played by me. My son who is 13 rocks the cube daily. If you have got p2 and xbox and games that you have not started, If I were you I'd opt out and get something different

I also have all three major systems, and the GCN gets the least amount of play. I've been trying to expand my GC library lately though, but nothing has really jumped out as a killer app.

Really like the cube, but then again Nintendo games are where its at for me. Nothing beats Metroid Prime or Zelda Wind Waker IMO. If you don't like these franchises then you probably would not enjoy the cube as these are the types of games it is known for. Although you will be missing out on some pretty great games. There are some other exclusives to reccomend, have you tried Pikmin or F-zero?

i just want to 3rd the recommendation for metroid prime- if people bought an xbox just to play halo, mp really is the equivalent for the cube in terms of owning a console just for one game
and its an fp experience not had on any of the other consoles- or the pc for that matter
really an amazing game that stays true to the metroid roots, but at the same time if you never played or even were interested in the previous games, you can still get into prime
the only warning is that it is not an fps, does not control like one and takes some re-education to pick it up, and also get back to traditional fps control setup

i have all three, but my dumb box gets least play. i love my cube, and am so happy i got it. one of my favorite systems ever. sooo many good games. get one.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']i have all three, but my dumb box gets least play. i love my cube, and am so happy i got it. one of my favorite systems ever. sooo many good games. get one.[/quote]

Sneaky, I'm looking at the timestamp on your last post. Shouldn't you be in school? Have you been skipping class young man? Are you on drugs? Give me the drugs, now.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']i am in school. im in programming trying to code pong. its a real pain in the ass so i come here to vent.[/quote]

Ahh, I remember my friend's computer programming class. I'd sneak out of my class, penguin-style, to go to his class and play CounterStrike or Total Annihilation. It was a pain considering we had to install and uninstall at the end of each class, but it was fun none the less.

[quote name='magilacudy']The only system you don't have? What else gift could you get, since you have everything?[/quote]

Well, I don't have a Sega Master System, Genesis, Saturn, Turbografx-16 (did have it :( ), Neo Geo, N64, and portable systems. Maybe I should ask for a mp3 player... :whistle2:k

you can get XIII for gamecube as well. i originally bought it for the ps2, but paid the extra $5 for the gc version b/c i like the controller better and the graphics are a little sharper. once the E3 lineup comes out, i don't think i'll be touching any of my other systems for awhile. :D

Product Number 03 might be your cup of tea too. If you don't like Nintendo's products though, its hard to recommend a Gamecube for 3rd party exclusives.

I played XIII and I have to say it totally blowed donkeys for me. I was confused 5 minutes into the game and then I died after glitching myself into a coma collapsed in the water. Never the less i am happy to say i didn't spend money on that piece of crap. (played it over chris's house)

Definately get a Cube, its my fav system. Games like Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil, Metroid Prime, and Wind Waker, Metal Gear Solid, and Viewitful Joe are some of the best games I've ever played, not to mention the badass Wavebird controller. After using it during long multiplayer sessions, you'll be spoiled having to use the other controllers for PS2 and Xbox.

This debate went on a long time ago, like, back in the days when the Sega Saturn was still a competing system. The issue was which system to buy, Saturn or PSOne, N64 and one game developer put it best when he said, "I own all three. There are more games for the Playstation but I play my Saturn the most. They just make better games."

The moral to this story is, don't just buy one, buy them all and then you can figure out which system you like to play more.

bread's done
Back