Should I get a Slim or BC PS3?

KtMack23

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
I am in the market for PS3 (Mostly to play Blu-Rays honestly) and I'm deciding which model to get. I have a huge collection of PS2 RPG's that I'd like to get around to playing, so I still use my PS2. My current set up has my Fat PS2, Slim 360, and Wii along with my 19in HDTV all on my desk (It's quite a large desk). Once I get a PS3, I won't have enough room for a 4th console, so I'd have to lug the ps2 out of my closet everytime I wanted to play.

Is getting an old fat backwards compatible ps3 worth it just for ease of use? Or are the slims so much quiter/use less power/cooler/all around better that I should just get one of those?

I got a PS3 slim and all I really use it for is Blu-Ray. Almost everything I play seems to run better on the 360.

I wouldn't even care much about BC on PS3. You can always run old-school and have an RF switch/cable for the PS2 and leave it somewhere close by. My HDMI's on my 32" are taken up by PS3 & 360. I have the PS2 & N64 hooked up via RF cable.

I vote for the PS3 slim.

BC PS3 will be expensive and hard to find. PS3 slims are dropping in price and easy to come by. Best bet would be to just get a slim ps3 and a slim ps2. I know you said you're running out of space, and i dont remember how large the phat ps2 is, but the slim ps2 is really tiny and won't take much room.

Fat BC PS3 you find out there for sale probably aren't that reliable, because they tend to get the YLOD. If you do buy one, your should earmark another $100 to get it reballed in case it breaks...

id go for the slim with a warranty, if your like me, you probably wont play old rpg's for quite awhile. the only reason id want a fat ps3 is if i didnt care about playing online and wanted to run linux wich you can no longer do after a certain firmware upgrade.. or to modify it

You say you won't have enough room for a 4th console, but a PS3 Slim, and a PS2 slim aren't that much bigger than a PS3 fatty. So basically I'd suggest you trade off your PS2 fat for a slim model and get a PS3 slim as well.

I would avoid the BC models because they really aren't as reliable at all compared to a slim. They also are louder and less efficient.

Yeah get the slim. Its cheaper, more reliable, and quieter(better for blu-ray and movie watching;)).

If you are like most CAGs, you probably have a backlog of games which you will never get to let alone a backlog of games from last gen.
icon10.gif

Get the Slim PS3, runs better, uses less power. Might as well by the new PS2 slim to replace the old phat PS2 since it's probably on it's last legs. I did.

I say slim ps3 as well I upgraded my old fat for a slim but I disagree about the slim being quite. I think my fat made less disk read noise, on games any way.

If the PS3 was released as the Slim model, I wouldn't own a PS3. I'd go PS3 BC all day long... unlimited Virtual Memory cards on your PS2 collection is worth it alone. Not to mention smoothing/upscaling and wireless controllers. If I could buy a Japanese BC PS3, I would, just so I could enjoy the same benefits for my Japanese PS1/PS2 games that I get with my U.S. games.

LOL. I have a xbox 360, wii ,and phat ps2 also.

Anyway, do u like ps3 games?

If you just want a blu ray player, its probably cheaper to just buy one then buying a ps3.

PS3 phat is good only if you want to save a bit space, but they could die anytime.

The slim are a bit better, but remember YROD could happen.

Sounds like your PS2 is strong. I still have mines when it was first release.
I got 2 brand new ps2 slim. Wondering if i should sell/trade one since....

[quote name='The Punisher']LOL. I have a xbox 360, wii ,and phat ps2 also.

Anyway, do u like ps3 games?

If you just want a blu ray player, its probably cheaper to just buy one then buying a ps3.

PS3 phat is good only if you want to save a bit space, but they could die anytime.

The slim are a bit better, but remember YROD could happen.

Sounds like your PS2 is strong. I still have mines when it was first release.
I got 2 brand new ps2 slim. Wondering if i should sell/trade one since....[/QUOTE]

I have a dynex bluray player that works perfectly fine. Has netflix, pandora etc. What it doesn't have that PS3 has is Amazon Prime streaming.

I used to use an HDMI cable from my desktop to the PC to watch tv shows on Amazon Prime. It's a pain in the ass. Now my PS3 slim which cost around $150 new is a good substitute. I sell my bluray player for $40.....and I paid $110 for a decent PS3 media set up.

Still love the 360 more though.

OP, just get a slim ps2 & slim ps3.

[quote name='Calipso']I have a dynex bluray player that works perfectly fine. Has netflix, pandora etc. What it doesn't have that PS3 has is Amazon Prime streaming.

I used to use an HDMI cable from my desktop to the PC to watch tv shows on Amazon Prime. It's a pain in the ass. Now my PS3 slim which cost around $150 new is a good substitute. I sell my bluray player for $40.....and I paid $110 for a decent PS3 media set up.

Still love the 360 more though.

OP, just get a slim ps2 & slim ps3.[/QUOTE]

I too like the xbox 360, but pc games still need some love....

I have a fat.

I want to get a slim and new ps2 instead.

Are the fats really still fetching that much more money?

[quote name='b3b0p']Are the fats really still fetching that much more money?[/QUOTE]
If they are, then maybe I should clean the lens on this fat 60gb model I bought last year from a guy trying to trade it into the local shop here. It did read PS3 games when I first tested it and for the week I continued testing it after buying it. But then I stored it for almost a year and now it won't load in a PS3 game for some reason.

I'd also have to find a screw for the top of the PS3 to secure that back on there, as the guy who had it before me didn't bother to put the screw back in there(or three of the screws to close the PS3 back up after he opened it clean it). The door that goes over the memory card ports is also MIA(the lil flap/hinge it goes on is there though) and the outer case to the console is scratched to shit.:whistle2:#:whistle2:#:whistle2:#:whistle2:#:roll:

For what I paid though, even if I got like $80 for it console only I'd be fine with that price. I just want it gone.

I always wanted one of the full BC ones, then once I had one it just sat here.:lol: Go figure.:roll:

bread's done
Back