Should I get a Wii or a Kinect?

Matedawg11

CAGiversary!
Feedback
65 (99%)
I already have a 360 so I wouldn't have to buy the console itself. I've always wanted a motion gaming system in my house so which one would be better? Considering exclusives, function, price, everything you wanna consider...

Thanks!

[quote name='Matedawg11']I already have a 360 so I wouldn't have to buy the console itself. I've always wanted a motion gaming system in my house so which one would be better? Considering exclusives, function, price, everything you wanna consider...

Thanks![/QUOTE]

My two cents...if you haven't picked up a Wii by now, might as well hold out and see what happens with Kinect. The technology is promising (I'm more impressed with the hacks than the games that launched with the "system"). Aside from Dance Central and perhaps Kinectimals (if you have a 4-year-old), there a lot of room to improve.

There aren't that many Kinect games out, but there are tons of Wii exclusives that make it worth owning the system. (There are many threads talking about the best Wii games, but most Nintendo first party stuff is great. Then there are gems like Zack & Wiki which make awesome use of the controls, as well as other great Wii exclusives like Fragile Dreams.)

The first question is do you have a LOT of space in front of your TV. To use Kinect you really need about 8 feet away from your TV plus room to move side to side. If you don't have this space it is simple...get a Wii.

Otherwise if you enjoy Nintendo's 1st party games (Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Metroid, Kirby) definitely go with the Wii. There are some other good Wii exclusives out there like Goldeneye.

The Kinect is fun but there just isn't much at all out for it now. But if you aren't that interested in Nintendo's 1st party titles, it is still fun and a worthwhile investment. The only really good games for Kinect right now are Dance Central (although some do prefer Dance Masters) and Kinect Sports. Kinect will certainly be cheaper for you since all the hardware you need is Kinect.

If you get a Wii you can probably find one for $180 or for $200 with a $50 giftcard. You are almost surely going to want at least one extra remote and nunchuk which aren't cheap.

I really like my Kinect..
Kinect sports is really fun...
You will need space to use it though.
If you like the Xbox gaming system and want motion control for parties and friends I'd say Kinect. But it does need more games.

[quote name='aem']The first question is do you have a LOT of space in front of your TV. To use Kinect you really need about 8 feet away from your TV plus room to move side to side. If you don't have this space it is simple...get a Wii.[/QUOTE]

You probably need more than that. I have about 8 feet, and it's not enough, according to Kinect Adventures. It's always losing track of me if I barely move forward, and god forbid if I want to play with 2 players. I'm not particularly impressed and I already know it will be collecting dust.

Speaking of collecting dust, the Wii is probably not much better if you aren't into the main first party games like Mario stuff. If you don't have a Wii yet, chances are you probably don't care. My Wii lies dormant until a new game I want comes out, then I play for about a week, and then it goes back to sleep.

aem- "The first question is do you have a LOT of space in front of your TV. To use Kinect you really need about 8 feet away from your TV plus room to move side to side. If you don't have this space it is simple...get a Wii."

Disagree. I read so many reviews about people bitching about space requirements. Maybe it's because I have my Kinect up about 4 feet or so off the ground, but if anything, it wants me closer to the TV than I'd like to be. 5-6 ft seem to be plenty of distance for it to simultaneously track me (about 6ft) and my 4 year old son (3ft-something?)

Regarding the OP's question, I don't own a Wii, have played one occassionally with friends, and it just wasn't for me. With Kinect, I was blown away by the interface, the fact that of the three systems it's the most unique technology, and seems to have the most room to grow. It also works as a videochat camera, and the performance has blown me away. There are literally $80,000 mocap systems that track at the same quality as Kinect.

For games, It's true that Kinect Sports and Dance Central are the go to titles, but if you have kids, or interest in Kinectimals, that is also done really well. My wife wants my son to hurry up and finish it so she can play. I haven't tried any of the fitness games, but it sounds like at least a couple of those are solid too.

Why is it that people think that these things are interchangeable? Ps3 Move or Kinect or Wii.
They're not, and the Wii is a console, not an attachment. If you don't care for any of the Software on the Wii, then buy one of those attachments, but they shouldn't be compared as if they're the same type of product. The Wii has plenty of Software that does not necessarily rely on motion controls, and some of it very good.

yeah i just got a wii and i think its excellent, totally underated in comparison to xbox and ps3,plus motionplus should be makin a difference soon

I dont have much space at all for a Kinect and the Wii sounds pretty good to me right now...I might pick it up

I just found a Wii on Amazon for $130 shipped (Like New) yes or no!?!?

bread's done
Back