Should I get a Xbox 360 or a PS3?

LeafPanda

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
I already have a Wii, but I am thinking about getting either a 360 or a PS3 soon.
I am having trouble deciding on them. I want to hear your opinions so I have a better picture of which one is right for me.
Random Info:
Always liked the franchised on the Playstations, but I have played the 360 a lot lately.

PS3.

More reliable, great features, great games, and brighter future (especially when it comes to exclusive games coming). Definitely a better value for your money, including the 40GB. I would only recommend a 360 over a PS3 if you are hardcore online (and don't mind paying $50 a year) and you want a few JRPGs now and prefer to not wait for a bunch (which PS3 will have eventually).

Between the two, I'd go with the 360. My roommate picked up both, so I've had plenty of time to play on both of them, both online and offline. Nearly all of the games I've been interested in are either multiplatform or 360-exclusive, and regardless of what anyone says, the two systems look the same as far as graphics go. From the PSN store, none of the games really interested me, while there are a bunch of XBLA games that I'll be picking up in the near future. As for reliability, his PS3 was defective out of the box, and I'll be on my 3rd PS2 (1st one developed DRE, 2nd has a misaligned part, probably the laser), so it's you aren't guaranteed to be better off with the PS3. (To be fair, my friend's 7-month old 360 died on him this past March). I've also had issues with Call of Duty 4 multiplayer on the PS3, with it being unable to connect for prolonged periods of time on a constant basis (a couple hours to a few days).

The one major draw for the PS3 is that online is free (and Blu-Ray, if you're interested in HD movies). If that matters to you, go with that. Otherwise, I'd say the 360, at this point in time, is the better option. Check the release lists, both present and future, to make your final decision.

If you want to know a little background for my opinion, I also have a Wii as my primary console, and generally prefer FPS, RPG/SRPG, and "unique" games (Katamari, Trauma Center, etc.), though I don't own a single FPS for the Wii.

Viewing your post history OP, no choice is more obvious than a PS3. All I suggest is, be patient and wait until your favorite game franchise of choice has hit shelves before adopting a PS3. Between now and then, the PS3 may have had a price-drop or two. There's no reason having a $500 console now only for you to stand around and picking your nose waiting for games to ever come out.

PS3, no question about it. I own all 3, and the PS3 is my favorite system with some excellent games out now (ratchet and clank, uncharted, resistance, etc) and some insane games coming (MGS4, LBP, Killzone 2, etc etc). Plus free online, free WIFI, ability to upgrade hard drive with whatever drive you want, WAY more reliable hardware, etc etc.

360 has some good games, but its ran out of exclusive titles to matter, and the hardware, simply put, is a joke. I am on my 3rd 360, and my PS3 is a launch 60 gig that works perfect. Also, going online with the 360 is 50 bucks a year, and 90% of the time, you play against a bunch of 12-13 year old kids who know nothing other then cussing and calling you racial slurs. It really is pathetic. Ive never encountered that online with the PS3 at any point.

I have a 360 and a Wii (going to get a PS3 eventually), but the 360 has a wide range of great games, and its my choice. (for the record, I rank them 360, Wii, PS3).

That being said, I think the easiest arguement is, when this argument gets brought up, at least half of the people who argue for the PS3 seem to put forth reliability as the #1 reason. Now, I got RROD, and had to send it in. I was out of my 360 for about 3 weeks. Even though this is a huge annoyance, I don't think it should dictate which system you get. It should be based on (and pretty much only on) the exclusive games you want to play (or where your buddies play online). Really, what do you want to play? Heavenly Sword, Ratchet, and GT eventually, or Halo, Viva Pinata, etc?

It all depends on what you want. For the most part, both systems are going to get the same software (like GTA IV and GH), but it's the exclusive titles that have to be a draw for you. For me, I like the Metal Gear and FF series, so the PS3 is a good choice for me. If you like shooters and more western-style RPGs (like Mass Effect), then perhaps the 360 would fit your needs better.

PS3 has the better line up going forward.
Slighty better than 360, and much better than Wii.

Don't expect any more 3rd party exclusives for 360 anymore either.
I don't see Sony's first party games losing ground to MS's.

I like the 360 the best of the current generation. Online multiplayer is a big portion of that, most CAGs that I know play on the 360, as do my RL friends. Plus I prefer the 360 controller, had a lot of BC Xbox games, and love the cheesemints.

The PS3 is great if you're looking for PS3-type games (MGS4), and as a Blu-Ray player.

You know what I'm going to say. I prefer the ps3 over the 360,but I really think you should get both. If you only got one I would get the ps3 if it was me,but everyone wouldn't agree with that.

Xbox360

Pros:

It has some really great games.
Xbox live is done really well.
The controller is the best I've seen for fps games.

Cons:
Online isn't free.
The d-pad is terrible. I hate the controller for fighters.
The system gets the rrod.
It isn't that great at backwards compatibility

PS3:

Pros:

It plays blu-ray.
The controller is really great.
Online play is free.
The system is built extremely well.

Cons:
Online play isn't set up as half as good as xbox live.
Certain versions of the ps3 isn't good at backwards compatibility
It still hasn't got that many great titles.

This comes up all the time, and it's nearly impossible for you to get good advice here. Pretty much anyone that actually recommends one over the other is biased--be it a fan boy or simply someone who just likes one better but isn't that extreme.

The only way you can make a good decision is to research what both offer (and not by asking for biased opinions on a site full of loser fanboys) and decide which offers the most of what you want.

The stuff you should research are things like:

Which as more exclusive games that I want to play?
Do I enjoy online gaming enough to play for X-box live and it's extra features, etc.?
Do I care about having a blu-ray player?
Which controller feels better in my hands?

It's not rocket science. Just do some research, go give them a test drive in best buy or wherever etc., and go with whichever seems more your cup of tea.

[quote name='Dezuria']From someone who has Wii, PS3 and 360... I say 360 is the best choice.[/quote]

Same here, and I would have to agree.

it really depends on if Blu-Ray is a factor to you. if it's not then get a 360. if Blu-Ray is important then you kinda have to get both, but i'd get a 360 first.

I'd get a PS3 based solely on reliability alone. I have all 3 consoles. My 360 has red-ringed and been repaired, and still gets disc read errors.

I like the PS3 for the variety of things I can do with it. I also have a Xb360 and a Wii, but the PS3 has the greatest variety of things I do with it. It is great for Blu-Rays/DVDs and is not bad for surfing the net (I think it is much better than the Wii for web surfing). along with that the slide show feature for pictures with all the memory card slots is great (I have a launch 60GB). I also like to use it to play music off my computer (to be fair the 360 also does this just as well).

I also think that, for me, the exclusives on the PS3 can't be beat ( I am a Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy Junkie). I also just happened to get my GTA IV copy on the PS3 too, mainly because I really prefer the feel of the dual shock 3 over the xbox control pad. Also, and sadly this does not apply to the 40GB, but it is really nice to play PS One and PS2 games on the PS3, practicaly unlimited save space and the upconverting looks really nice on my HDTV (I have a 42 inch 720P Plasma).

Ulitimately it is your choice, but these are my reasons behind the PS3.

ps3 more.

I have both systems. I don't think it's better gameswise, it's just my gaming tastes are better suited for it.

Also the fact that it doesn't double as a ticking time bomb helps too.

[quote name='tehweezner']it really depends on if Blu-Ray is a factor to you. if it's not then get a 360. if Blu-Ray is important then you kinda have to get both, but i'd get a 360 first.[/QUOTE]

I'd like a BR player someday, but when I do take the plunge it won't be a PS3. Lack of universal remote support kills it for me. I didn't spend money on a Harmony remote to then buy crappy electronics it won't work with.

When I get one it will be a standalone player and it won't be made by Sony.

Think of time. the 360 took almost three years to get great exclusives. The PS3 is one year old and is already starting to dish out exclusives. gt5, uncharted, ratchet and clank, both motorstorms, both resistances, heavenly sword, Lair, EOJ, mgs 4, and the list goes on. the ps3 is reliable, the controller is universally better, blu-ray drive, web browser, free internet, and wifi built in. The 360 cant make its fucking consoles work, only has bioshock, mass effect, and GOW. also, halo is shit .

[quote name='w00t_culafi']Think of time. the 360 took almost three years to get great exclusives. The PS3 is one year old and is already starting to dish out exclusives. gt5, uncharted, ratchet and clank, both motorstorms, both resistances, heavenly sword, Lair, EOJ, mgs 4, and the list goes on. the ps3 is reliable, the controller is universally better, blu-ray drive, web browser, free internet, and wifi built in. The 360 cant make its fucking consoles work, only has bioshock, mass effect, and GOW. also, halo is shit .[/QUOTE]
Also, Lair and Heavenly Sword are shit. The 360 controller is better.

I've been pondering the same question... I would recommend that you spend some time thinking about what things are most important to you.

Which console has the exclusives that appeal to you? Some people might say that certain games are "must haves," but it all depends on taste. For example, Gears of War doesn't appeal to me, but neither does Resistance.

How much is cost a consideration? How will RRoD affect you as a consumer? What type of online experience are you interested in? What types of features are important to you? The PS3 has more features built in, but they come at a price. The 360 has a more comprehensive online experience, but that will also cost money.

Personally, I'm going to wait until after e3 to make a decision. There may be some big announcements that may swing momentum in one direction or another. Price drops? PS3 slim? A RRoD free 360? More exclusives to one or the other?

Gears of War 2, Halo 3, GTA IV Exclusive Content, Halo Wars and the best online experience, sure you have to pay $30 a year but its worth it, does that answer your question?

Ask yourself what type games you want to play and who you want to play them with. What do your friends have?

[quote name='blackhole82']I'd get a PS3 based solely on reliability alone. I have all 3 consoles. My 360 has red-ringed and been repaired, and still gets disc read errors.[/quote]

IAWTC

Plus have you seen that Killzone 2 trailer (I KID I KEEEEEED)

I still have awhile until my birthday, which is when I might get a big chunk of the money I need.
I am still a little skeptical about the PS3, I would like to play my PS2 games on it. I heard Sony is taking it into consideration after they took it out.
I know some of you say I should research which is what I will start doing, but I still like people's opinions.

I just got both.

They both serve different purposes, have different sets of games I'm interested in that are exclusive to each, and I don't have to deal with the disappointment of seeing an awesome game on a system I don't own.

I really couldn't make a decision at all... both systems have killer lineups from now until the end of the year.

360 if you're a gamer, perfect controller for FPS and racing games, D-pad does suck though
PS3 if you like watching movies, and metal gear solid 4 + FFXIII

yes, 360 has the red ring of death but it also has 3 yrs warranty for that problem, no proof of purchase necessary
xbox live is great compared to any online gaming system, well worth $50/yr or around $30 since you're a CAG
i've had my xbox 360 since 2006, no red ring, but the disc drive did stop reading for the online portion of Halo 3, sold it and bought a falcon, no problems yet
already has a great line-up of games
I love my 360 and so do many of my friends

PS3 has tons of media loading problems where blu-ray discs stop reading (more common in 40gb and 80gb) and you have a 1 yr warranty, but you will need your receipt or a valid proof of purchase so keep it, recommend buying extended warranty through retailer
upgradeable HDD, good controller for fighting games, future line up looks promising
60gb is most reliable mostly fails due to overheating issues though
PSN is free, downloadable retail games(not recommended for multiple users)

360 gets my vote hands down for right now, never know down the line though

[quote name='greyzieoriental']
PS3 has tons of media loading problems where blu-ray discs stop reading ... recommend buying extended warranty through retailer
[/quote]

bull-crap.
I don't know where you get your information from, but wherever it is, you should not rely on it any more.

PS3 does not have problems loading media, it does not overheat (unless you don't provide proper ventilation, and the 40 GBs are even cooler than other models).

Sorry, but PS3s are very reliable machines. (Actually, one of my 60 GB's, 2 out of 4 USB ports don't seem to be working anymore, but I think it's my Logitech keyboard that's at fault. I know for a fact that it fried my PS2's USB ports and feel like an idiot for using it on my PS3 (needed to enter security tring for wireless...))

Do you want Ninja Gaiden 2, Too Human, Gears of War 2, Fable 2 and Banjo Kazooie 3

or do you want

Metal Gear Solid 4, Little Big Planet, Resistance 2, Killzone 2, and Final Fantasy 13

?

[quote name='ananag112']Do you want Ninja Gaiden 2, Too Human, Gears of War 2, Fable 2 and Banjo Kazooie 3

or do you want

Metal Gear Solid 4, Little Big Planet, Resistance 2, Killzone 2, and Final Fantasy 13

?[/quote]

That is exactly the thing you should be asking yourself.

It's funny, although I love my 360 and couldn't be without it, if I could only own one console and was only buying 1-4 games a month (instead of per week :oops:) I might go with the PS3, you do get a lot for your money and playing online is free.

Looking at what exclusives you want is a good place to start though.

[quote name='ananag112']Do you want Ninja Gaiden 2, Too Human, Gears of War 2, Fable 2 and Banjo Kazooie 3

or do you want

?[/quote]
The thing is that I enjoy shooters, but I sort of like RPGs over them. Final Fantasy 13 and KH3 were the ones I was looking forward to, until I saw Cross Edge.
Also, now I realize that the 360 also has some pretty good exclusives that I passed over.
This might be Off-topic, but didn't banjo-kazooie die a long time ago.

[quote name='LeafPanda']The thing is that I enjoy shooters, but I sort of like RPGs over them. Final Fantasy 13 and KH3 were the ones I was looking forward to, until I saw Cross Edge.
Also, now I realize that the 360 also has some pretty good exclusives that I passed over.
This might be Off-topic, but didn't banjo-kazooie die a long time ago.[/QUOTE]

360 has some good RPG's too... Lost Odyssey for sure, Blue Dragon, Mass Effect, Eternal Sonata, some Atlus games coming for it soon.

PSTriple no doubt http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF4CEAq_AEU

j/k whatever you like i guess.. .to me.. 360 has lots going for it.. but PS3 will have cool exclusive gams soon.. if you can afford it.. get 360 first.. ps3 will probably drop in price by the time.. you enjoy 360 for awhile and by then ps3 will game lot of good games also..

PS3 has a great online system, and its free. GTA IV, ps3 owners are playing games online for free, however 360 owners have to pay to get online. Same game, same servers, except one you have to pay for.

PS3 does have a great library of games, that's getting even better.

Also you can use your PS3 as a computer by intalling Linux which is free. (a feature that people don't really talk about)

People like the 360 and they're going to advocate for it, but they're not going to tell you the hardships they've had in being a 360 owner. 360 owners are already looking towards the next xbox, plus MS hasn't fixed the Red ring of Death problem. Why spend money on uncertanty, something that may break right when you start to enjoy it. Plus you have to always spend money on live, and when you don't pay... now all your games lose their online feature.

If I pay 60 dollars for a game, I feel like I am entitled to make use of all the features of that game, single player, co-op, and especially online services. If for some reason you don't have money and you can't afford live for a month or two, now all your 360 games lose their online feature, however with PS3 there's no pay-for-feature... you give your 60 bucks and you enjoy your game... all of your game.

but hey that's just me...

People are switching from 360 to PS3 daily... but you don't see too much of people putting down their PS3s to switch to 360.

go with the PS3 you'll be happier!

[quote name='Thomas96'] Also you can use your PS3 as a computer by intalling Linux which is free. (a feature that people don't really talk about)[/quote]

Sure it is nice to have the ability to watch movies or convert your sytem to a mini comuter, but true gamers buy the system for one reason and one reason alone, GAMING!

[quote name='Thomas96'] 360 owners are already looking towards the next xbox[/quote]

Really and where are your facts and testimony to support this. Sure having a system fail due to the RRoD sucked because I had to wait for the replacement and couldn't play games for a few weeks. However, this being said I still would buy a 360 over the PS3. SONY thinks by having multiple cell processors and Blu-Ray is what makes them better, wrong. It all comes down to the games regardless of their graphics, which is very apparent with Wii sales. SONY fucked up with the pricepoint of their system, took away Dual Shock because they're cheap and idiots (and now want the consumer to fit the bill for their mistake), and can't meet a release date to save their asses. IMHO SONY is where Nintendo was when Nintendo opted not to team with SONY. They feel because of the PS1/2 and their top position that no one can touch them, but they need a reality check because this can hurt you in the business world.

360:twoguns:PS3 :applause: Regardless of the RRoD situation, which I was a victim too, the 360 is by far the smart choice because MS seems to have learned from their Xbox mistakes. Everyone is going to have their opinion especially fanboys, but you need to look at the facts for both systems:

- Which has a more extensive library for your tastes?
- How much hard drive space will these games eat up (SONY seems to give the illusion with their HD space after seeing the space DMC4/GTA IV eat up)
- Do you want the system for gaming or movies?
- Which provides features you want for a good price (free online sounds nice, but when there isn't a decent 1st party library to play who cares)

I'm a owner of all 3 systems and admit I lean towards the 360 because I feel it is a better all around system. Graphically between the PS3/360 there isn't a major difference. Movie wise... this shouldn't even be discussed because you're buying a gaming console, but the PS3 is the best value for HD movies. As for the games I think MS has stronger IP's moving forward. Sure SONY has their MGS, GoW, GT and other IP's, but MS has more innovative titles coming to their platform. Also SONY doesn't seem to care about the gamer in the early phase of the PS3. The pricepoint was too high, they lied about the DS3 because their asses were too cheap and the big one game release dates. Not that I really care because I won't buy the titles on launch anyways, but could SONY have anymore titles get continuously pushed back. How about you wait until there are signs of a solid release date before announcing them. Well enough of my rambling OP. Good luck with your selection and I hope you get the one that will truly fit you and your gaming needs.

[quote name='greyzieoriental']360 if you're a gamer, perfect controller for FPS and racing games, D-pad does suck though
PS3 if you like watching movies, and metal gear solid 4 + FFXIII

yes, 360 has the red ring of death but it also has 3 yrs warranty for that problem, no proof of purchase necessary
xbox live is great compared to any online gaming system, well worth $50/yr or around $30 since you're a CAG
i've had my xbox 360 since 2006, no red ring, but the disc drive did stop reading for the online portion of Halo 3, sold it and bought a falcon, no problems yet
already has a great line-up of games
I love my 360 and so do many of my friends

PS3 has tons of media loading problems where blu-ray discs stop reading (more common in 40gb and 80gb) and you have a 1 yr warranty, but you will need your receipt or a valid proof of purchase so keep it, recommend buying extended warranty through retailer
upgradeable HDD, good controller for fighting games, future line up looks promising
PSN is free, downloadable retail games(not recommended for multiple users)

360 gets my vote hands down for right now, never know down the line though[/QUOTE]

PS3 does not have media loading problems... or overheating issues.. and on PSN you can gameshare and multiple users on the same console can use any games or content added to the system (regardless of which user added it) which is why PS3 owners can make multiple users and download content from other countries, Japan, UK, etc and then use the content and demos with any user thats on the system. You can't do that stuff on the 360.

I don't know ifyou were confused, or just lying... which one was it?

[quote name='Thomas96']PS3 does not have media loading problems... or overheating issues.. and on PSN you can gameshare and multiple users on the same console can use any games or content added to the system (regardless of which user added it) which is why PS3 owners can make multiple users and download content from other countries, Japan, UK, etc and then use the content and demos with any user thats on the system. You can't do that stuff on the 360.

I don't know ifyou were confused, or just lying... which one was it?[/QUOTE]PS3 does not have overheating issues. Yeah, it may get warm, but doesn't overheat causing a hardware failure. The ONLY way someone may have an overheating issue is if they leave their PS3 Folding 24/7 for several months.

I've got both, and simply won't recommend 360 hardware to anyone based on principle. Everytime i turn it on I expect to get a red ring, DRE, or scratched disc.
I'm on my 5th replair (5 repairs and 3 times MS sent me a different console).

Don't get me wrong, i love the 360 exclusive games and XBox Live is nice although i don't do a lot of online gaming, but simply from my horrible hardware experiences i won't recommend a 360.

If only somebody could get 360 games to play on a PS3, that would be a perfect world! ;)

Might as well lock this now, we've had some sensible replies but now the fanboy idiots are taking over.

Thread-I_like_where_this_thread_is_going.jpg

[quote name='neudog']360:twoguns:PS3 :applause: Regardless of the RRoD situation, which I was a victim too, the 360 is by far the smart choice because MS seems to have learned from their Xbox mistakes. Everyone is going to have their opinion especially fanboys, but you need to look at the facts for both systems:

- Which has a more extensive library for your tastes?
- How much hard drive space will these games eat up (SONY seems to give the illusion with their HD space after seeing the space DMC4/GTA IV eat up)
- Do you want the system for gaming or movies?
- Which provides features you want for a good price (free online sounds nice, but when there isn't a decent library to play who cares)

I'm a owner of all 3 systems and admit I lean towards the 360 because I feel it is a better all around system. Graphically between the PS3/360 there isn't a major difference. Movie wise... this shouldn't even be discussed because you're buying a gaming console, but the PS3 is the best value for HD movies. As for the games I think MS has stronger IP's moving forward. Sure SONY has their MGS, GoW, GT and other IP's, but MS has more innovative titles coming to their platform. Also SONY doesn't seem to care about the gamer in the early phase of the PS3. The pricepoint was too high, they lied about the DS3 because their asses were too cheap and the big one game release dates. Not that I really care because I won't buy the titles on launch anyways, but could SONY have anymore titles get continuously pushed back. How about you wait until there are signs of a solid release date before announcing them. Well enough of my rambling OP. Good luck with your selection and I hope you get the one that will truly fit you and your gaming needs.[/QUOTE]

The PS3 is not JUST a gaming console... its an Entertainment Centerpiece. Sony when the PS3 had to rush the launch, they couldn't even make enough console. I thought for sure that the PS3s were going to have problems, but they took they're time and make quality pieces of hardware. Now MS didn't have to rush they were ready, but ever launch 360 sold has now RROD. But Sony doesn't care about the consumer. Sony was implementing new technology, and the 360 is basically a remix of the original xbox with different chips. Sony had every excuse to being crap to the launch table but they didn't, they did too much. PS3 didn't need Super Audio CD, but it had it, didn't need HDMI, didn't need 60gb hard drive, but hey it had it all.. (and you had to pay for it too). The 360 had to design a brand new system just to properly compete with the PS3 and its features. Was MS thinking about the gamers when they released crap that they KNEW was faulty, then they released new hardware that did it again. Was it the gamers they were thinking about when they charged 179.99 for an 160gb proprietary drive, or 99.99 for a sorry 20gb hard drive. [Please note you can get any standard SATA drive for your ps3 I got a 160gb drive for 70 dollars - not a great deal but hey its pretty good) 100 dollars for the "MS" Wi fi adapter, which is included in the PS3.

Yep, the OP (if he's still reading) should stop paying much heed. As I said earlier, pay no attention to anyone who actually recommends one or the other two you as they are fanboys wanting peopel to buy "their" console.

Again just take some time and objectively look at what the consoles offer and make your decision.

-Which has the most exclusive games you want?
-Do you want the PS3 for Blu ray? Which controller do you personally like better?
-Do you do enough online gaming to warrant paying $30/year (lots of deals for that or less posted here) for X-box live and it's features over PSN (and research the differences to see if they matter to you)?
-Does the RROD problem scare you too much?

That's how to make a smart purchase. Not going by "advice" from fanboys.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']PS3 does not have overheating issues. Yeah, it may get warm, but doesn't overheat causing a hardware failure. The ONLY way someone may have an overheating issue is if they leave their PS3 Folding 24/7 for several months.[/QUOTE]

I've never seen anyone in the PS3 thread saying that they're PS3 overheated...

Gamers Beware: XBox Could Be A Fire Hazard

http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/19/xbox-360-power-supply-pinpointed-as-cause-of-house-fire/

How to fix overheating 360.
http://www.engadget.com/2005/11/25/how-to-fix-your-overheating-360/

bread's done
Back