Should I get this Philips 42" HDTV (42PF7421D)?

ananag112

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5057433

I will be using it for watching TV mostly, but gaming and watching movies occasionally as well. I looked around and most people were positive about it. I have a $500 gift card to Walmart, so I would prefer to buy this HDTV at Walmart. If there are any other better HDTVs at Walmart, please tell me. I also prefer to get an LCD TV. Thank you very much for your help.

Well, It's not 1080p... if it was less than 36 or 38 inches I won't mind the 1080p as much cause you can't tell the difference from 1080i to 1080p from smaller in. tv's. But in a 42" inch tv you should try to look into a 1080p if you can.

It's contrast and brightness ratio's are pretty low, and I've had bad experiences with walmart. However, if I were you, I'd go to walmart and check the tv out...see how it looks.
Also, check out the inputs and what you need. For example, there is only one HDMI cable.....which is bad news if you're a ps3 or blu-ray owner.

[quote name='thehoo']It's contrast and brightness ratio's are pretty low, and I've had bad experiences with walmart. However, if I were you, I'd go to walmart and check the tv out...see how it looks.
Also, check out the inputs and what you need. For example, there is only one HDMI cable.....which is bad news if you're a ps3 or blu-ray owner.[/QUOTE]

It's online only. But, I'd check and see if another B&M store near you carries it and check it out there.

Just be sure to get Site to Store shipping(if available in your area, it will be everywhere in the next few months) if you get it from Walmart.com and save yourself $80 or so on shipping.

[quote name='thehoo']It's contrast and brightness ratio's are pretty low, and I've had bad experiences with walmart. However, if I were you, I'd go to walmart and check the tv out...see how it looks.
Also, check out the inputs and what you need. For example, there is only one HDMI cable.....which is bad news if you're a ps3 or blu-ray owner.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. The contrast ratio is low, but I hear Philips is very conservative in reporting the contrast ratio, so its comparable to higher contrast ratios of other brands.

I have a digital cable box and it outputs in 720p, so I thought 720p would be fine for this purpose.

Thanks for the help everyone.

1080p is pretty much a waste, so don't worry about it ;) 1080p and i have the same resolution, the difference is only in how many of those lines are shown every 1/60 of a second- consider that film is shown at only 24 fps and that traditional tv is all "i" or interlaced. In this case, size doesn't matter ;) On anything less than 40 inches, it will be fairly hard to tell the diff between 720 and 1080, although it is still WAY more meaningful than the aforementioned "p" and either is worlds beyond 480 - good luck and enjoy!

[quote name='Nearo']1080p is pretty much a waste, so don't worry about it ;) 1080p and i have the same resolution, the difference is only in how many of those lines are shown every 1/60 of a second- consider that film is shown at only 24 fps and that traditional tv is all "i" or interlaced. In this case, size doesn't matter ;) On anything less than 40 inches, it will be fairly hard to tell the diff between 720 and 1080, although it is still WAY more meaningful than the aforementioned "p" and either is worlds beyond 480 - good luck and enjoy![/quote]
I definitely don't agree with you about the resolution. The "p" does add a noticeable difference. On a PS2, for instance, games look much better in 480p than they do in 480i. For HDTV, 720p generally looks better to me than 1080i. I can't really explain it, but it just does to me. You seem to think that the progressive scan doesn't add anything, but if it doesn't, then why would it have ever been created in the first place?

Unless you're set on 42", take a look at this set:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5031323

I think this is the same TV Wal-Mart uses to demo 360 and PS3 games, but a little bit bigger than that 27-inch model. I've seen it running DVD video on the showroom floor, and I was very impressed with its video quality in that respect as well.

It would also be less of an out-of-pocket expense.

bread's done
Back