Should I get this TV? (Now with price!!! $260!!!)

Thanks for the reply, one question though. Where do I go on the Xbox dashboard to change the settings for the HD?

I'm not exactly sure but it's pretty easy to find. Just enable 480p and 1080i and you will be all set. I'm pretty sure it's in the same area that lets you change your screen size from 4.3 (standard square) to 16.9 (widescreen).

f i get the HD cables will it make a difference like it does on jerichos sanyo or do i not have a HD tuner in my tv?

It should make a noticeable difference. Like I said above you do not need a built in tuner, just plug in the proper cables and change the settings.

I saw one of these tv's at the Walmart here and I had the cashier scan it to check the price and it still rings up at $500 something. Do you know if it was clearanced everywhere or if it is at just a few Walmarts.

[quote name='SIUfan86']if i get the HD cables will it make a difference like it does on jerichos sanyo or do i not have a HD tuner in my tv?[/QUOTE]

You don't need a tuner to be able to take advantage of the HD modes with your XBox, and yes the HD cables will make a HUGE difference. The Microsoft pack will do you fine enough, and for even $20 new that's a nice price (of course $10 used is even better).

As others have mentioned just make sure you got your settings set up right (480p and 1080i in the dashboard video settings) and play away. Let us know what you think once you get everything up and running. :D

[quote name='demomanTNA']You don't need a tuner to be able to take advantage of the HD modes with your XBox, and yes the HD cables will make a HUGE difference. The Microsoft pack will do you fine enough, and for even $20 new that's a nice price (of course $10 used is even better).

As others have mentioned just make sure you got your settings set up right (480p and 1080i in the dashboard video settings) and play away. Let us know what you think once you get everything up and running. :D[/QUOTE]

i can tell some difference but it isn't phenomenal like i thought it was gonna be. do the cables just make the picture clearer and crisper or should i look for something else?

[quote name='roachman313']I saw one of these tv's at the Walmart here and I had the cashier scan it to check the price and it still rings up at $500 something. Do you know if it was clearanced everywhere or if it is at just a few Walmarts.[/QUOTE]

both jericho's 30 " sanyo and my 30" philips were on clearance. they were marked down from around 600 to 400. then we jipped the manager down to 260.

[quote name='RawisJericho']I have a question for those of you who own the $368 refurb Phillips TVs. My friend (SIUFan86) has that TV and is wanting to know if it can play Xbox games in HD (with the HD pack) straight out of the box, or if he will need the buy a tuner along with the Xbox HD pack.

I am almost 100% sure he has the same model number, I will have him post it on here shortly.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, is the built in tuner only for receiving HD programming using a "rabbit ear" or mounted antenna, or can I use it for regular cable and directv as well?[/QUOTE]
It can actually recieve unencrypted HD channels through your cable provider, but after a certain date they disabled this aspect of the TV. On the back of the TV there's a serial number that either starts with a V4 or a V5. If it starts with V4 the Clear QAM tuner is enabled and if it starts with V5 it's disabled.

If it's enabled there should be a "Digital Cable Add-on Search" option in the TV's menu when you have your cable line connected to the digital tuner. If it's disabled you supposedly can call Sanyo and they will re-enable it for you, but i'm not sure how they deal with this now that they are bringing in new models.

I had this TV...what a piece of crap...i pair 700 for it...When i played my xbox games in HD, the picture was clear...really nice, but it had that look of the vapors coming off of a oil spot on the ground on a hot day....i NEVER will buy anything over $200 at walmart again...its always crap!!

[quote name='jrbernal83']I had this TV...what a piece of crap...i pair 700 for it...When i played my xbox games in HD, the picture was clear...really nice, but it had that look of the vapors coming off of a oil spot on the ground on a hot day....i NEVER will buy anything over $200 at walmart again...its always crap!![/QUOTE]

I'm not for sure if you are talking about the Sanyo or Phillips, but on my TV (Sanyo), I can see wavy looking lines on the screen when I play my Xbox. Is this normal for HD tvs or is something up with mine?

[quote name='RawisJericho']I'm not for sure if you are talking about the Sanyo or Phillips, but on my TV (Sanyo), I can see wavy looking lines on the screen when I play my Xbox. Is this normal for HD tvs or is something up with mine?[/QUOTE]

Is that when you play dvd's? or games? I have also heard that the sanyo's can have componet problems.

[quote name='RawisJericho']I'm not for sure if you are talking about the Sanyo or Phillips, but on my TV (Sanyo), I can see wavy looking lines on the screen when I play my Xbox. Is this normal for HD tvs or is something up with mine?[/QUOTE]
Do you have the cheap cables or the official HD pack? This is what the cheap cables do sometimes.

Do you have the correct options enabled in the dashboard?

[quote name='dafoomie']Do you have the cheap cables or the official HD pack? This is what the cheap cables do sometimes.

Do you have the correct options enabled in the dashboard?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, triple check those options. Wavy is the same thing I get when I forget to enable HD.

[quote name='dafoomie']Do you have the cheap cables or the official HD pack? This is what the cheap cables do sometimes.

Do you have the correct options enabled in the dashboard?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I have the official ones. Do I have to enable HD every time I play? This is what I have enabled. I did the widescreen mode, and I enabled all of the HD modes besides the 720.

I hate to ask a stupid question, but are you sure you pluged the componet cables(red, blue, green) to the componet inputs on the tv.

Also it could be that the componet inputs are bad. If you check the sanyo thread on the avs forums link I provided earlier. It will give you an idea if you inputs are bad.

Also get your self an avia or video essentals dvd to calibrate you new hd set.

The wavyness could also be cause by your sharpness being up to high. turn it al the way off.

It might look blurier but there will be less jaggies and no false information in the picture.

[quote name='js1']I hate to ask a stupid question, but are you sure you pluged the componet cables(red, blue, green) to the componet inputs on the tv.

Also it could be that the componet inputs are bad. If you check the sanyo thread on the avs forums link I provided earlier. It will give you an idea if you inputs are bad.

Also get your self an avia or video essentals dvd to calibrate you new hd set.

The wavyness could also be cause by your sharpness being up to high. turn it al the way off.

It might look blurier but there will be less jaggies and no false information in the picture.[/QUOTE]

I'm playing Breakdown and I'm noticing a lot of jaggies... Should the graphics blow me away, or will I still notice jaggies?

bread's done
Back