Should i just get a 360 core?

Furashu

CAGiversary!
Feedback
16 (100%)
hello im planning on getting a 360 and 400 is a bit too much...
i got a free 360 wireless controller from that whole club live thing..
i dont plan on using the 360 for movies or anything or music just games. but do i even need the harddrive?
please give me some advice. thanks

You'd still need something to save your progress in games on. I don't know how much a memory card is but it's cheaper than a hard drive.

You've got to think, what are you going to save to? Are you going to want to play XBL Arcade games? If so you need memory.

Unless you want to spend $25 for a memory card, I highly suggest going w/ the premium so you get the HDD which has a lot more space....

AGHHHHHHHH lol the decisions....
yeah i was leaning towards the premium at first...
i fear the red rings lol
but what place has a lifetime warranty is that just costco? i dont want a bundle itll be 500 -_-

Just save a little more $$$ and get the one with the hard drive. Even the 12/20/whatever's usable smaller hard drive is better than a shitty overpriced memory card. The hard drive's overpriced, too, but you get so little with the memory card it really isn't worth it. It's only really useful if you want to take your profile to a friend's house. That's it.

DO NOT GET THE CORE.

Here, wait 6 (or 7) days and see if MS announces a a price drop for the 360...if they do, WAIT!. If not, look for a deal on a Premium.

the core plays games just the same as the premium. the only thing you'll miss is the hard drive. if you can find an HDD or memory card somewhere on the cheap, then you'll be fine to get a core. im sure some elite owners will be pawning off their HDDs anyhow.

Save your pennies for the premium, the big releases aren't out for a few months yet anyway.

No one has mentioned even OP if he was going to be online at all. To get game updates, and play old xbox games you'll need the hard drive.

[quote name='Graystone']No one has mentioned even OP if he was going to be online at all. To get game updates, and play old xbox games you'll need the hard drive.[/quote]
thanks for the info looks like ill go for the premium after all but after w/e M$ announcement. lol

Also, I beleive COSTCO changed their return policy....it is NOT a lifetime policy anymore on electronics (from what I've read).

PREMIUM is the way to go though.

The MS warranty is good enough for $50....I'm sending mine back for the third time this week actually. My 4th 360 now.

The Core is fine if you get a good deal on it, that is, enough to offset the expenses of the stuff you'll want to buy (wireless controller, hard drive, video cable). I got a good deal on the Core and a couple of games when I bought the system...after selling one of the games and the wired controller I came out a few bucks ahead of where I would have been with the Premium. If you're paying anything even close to regular price though, definitely get the Premium or Elite.

I'd also suggest waiting until after E3 though. I doubt they'll announce a price drop, but you never know.

[quote name='doubledown'] The MS warranty is good enough for $50....I'm sending mine back for the third time this week actually. My 4th 360 now.[/QUOTE]This is exactly the kind of thing that scares the crap out of me about buying a 360. When you say your 4th 360, do you mean your 3rd different refurb? I'm not crazy about the idea of sending a dead 360 back and hoping for the best when they switch it out for another one that somebody else sent in for repairs.

What is Best Buy's return policy? I seem to remember reading somewhere in the Coffin Support thread one time that they allow you to return a dead system and exchange it for a new one, but I could be wrong.

Also, if I could ask a really stupid question..... what happens to the stuff on your hard drive when your 360 dies? I'm guessing your XBox Live account allows you to redownload any XBLA games you've previously bought, and hopefully all your achievements are still in place, but any game saves are lost. Is that about right?

just curious, on a core 360, can an external usb hard drive be used to save arcade games, trailers, game saves, demo's, etc?

becasue i already have a 60 GB 5400rpm external drive

When you send a 360 back, you KEEP your HDD, they ONLY want the system.

As for my situation.
- First 360 died, MS sent back a FAULTY 360, in which I sent in again and got a FREE wireless controller back and a GOOD console.
- The 3rd console has been working great, until this week...died, so back it goes.

As for my replacement 360's, they all have seemed new, without scratches...although, that was at the beginning life of the 360.

If you waited this long...wait for the 65nm chip. I bought a launch console and never had a day of trouble with it, until April...Since then, I am waiting for my refurbed, refurb to come back from MS.

Basically... you should only get a Core if you have every intention of getting a hard drive as well. Between game updates, demos, Live arcade games, BC games, and save files, you're really screwing yourself over if you go without a hard drive. I'm pretty much summing up what everyone else said, but there's one more "vote" for ya.

Problem with sending yours in for repair is all your XBLA games you bought BEFORE the repair, on the old system can't be played on the NEW system unless you're connected to xbox live. I used to have broadband and don't have access anymore in a more rural area, and now Geometry Wars and some others are only in trial mode on mine. It sucks.

If you want to play Xbox games, save much, play Arcade games, download demos, videos... you're going to need a hard drive. It's definitely worth it.

I definitely recommend against buying a core. Just try to get a deal on a premium, it shouldn't be that hard to find a $350 deal or a deal with it and a good game or two.

[quote name='Furashu']JULY 10th...so far away well maybe with that ps3 drop maybe m$ will do the same :)[/QUOTE]
What PS3 price drop?

Given that MS has raised their warranty from 90 to 1 year to now 3 years, it's worth it just to get it. I wouldn't even bother with hardware protection from BB or CC, since if it fails often enough (which it has for some people), BB and CC can elect to just stop helping you, as they have in the past...

Wait until E3 next week, see what happens there. If nothing,
get one off of eBay. I've bought 2 (One for a friend) off of eBay as brand new units and MS honors the warranty on both of 'em. I paid $315 apiece avg for the two.

bread's done
Back