Should I move to San Diego?

Spiritseed

CAGiversary!
I am in Indianapolis right now and it sucks. I know that the price for everything is 3 times more expensive in San Diego but it's so cool. Anyone have any input? Or does anyone live there that can vouch for it's coolness?

You SOOO want to move there. Who cares how much it costs. The quality of life is 10 times better. Summer time in SD is awesome too!

Do you have lots of friends in San Diego? That would be a factor for me. I live in Indianapolis and believe me it does not suck. Try living in Midland Michigan...that sucks.

I would definatly find out what job you could get there first, and how much you would be making. Also find out how much your exact cost of living would be. This goes for anywhere you would move. Always find out everything before you go. You dont want to end up somewhere that you cant afford to live and then be stuck and broke and have to move back becuase you couldnt make it.

I live in the midwest, and it is really bad here economy worsers then most places, and I don't live in rural area. I live in a big city. I was going to a fast food chain to try to get a part time job (for a little extra change) and their were grown men in suits applying as well. thats how bad the economy is out here go out west.

[quote name='Graystone']I live in the midwest, and it is really bad here economy worsers then most places, and I don't live in rural area. I live in a big city. I was going to a fast food chain to try to get a part time job (for a little extra change) and their were grown men in suits applying as well. thats how bad the economy is out here go out west.[/quote]

What?
Maybe it's because you don't have marketable talents?
I've lived in the Midwest my entire life an have never been left wanting for a job. You think it's bad in the midwest, where there is a huge industrial base alway needing workers of a just about any skill level, just think about how bad it must be out West. I mean, heck, just in Michigan you have the world headquarters of the Big 3, many, many auto plants, tons of companies that exist soley to support the Big 3.... and those are just the jobs in that sector.

Yeah I could just go back to school but in California and have the government pay for my lodging for the time being lol. I do have some friends and family out there as well, that I could stay with. I have some money saved so I could survive a month or so without a job, at worst I go back to making pizzas somewhere (I co-owned a Dominos for 2 years so it should be easy enough). My only problem seems to be transportation, I don't think my car right now would make it from Indy to Cally, how is public transportation there? Or are there any decent used cars for cheap?

If you can afford it.... go. I've been there a couple of times to visit my sister and I love it. I have actually contemplated making the move myself.

I live In Lakeside, which is a community about 15 miles from San Diego....It is expensive here, but jobs are abundant, just go to a temp agency and as long as you have some talent in clerical, you can easily geta temp-to-hire position at about 10 an hour, rent for a one bedroom ranges from 750-1300 depending where you want to live, coastal, like Pacific Beach and La Jolla will be jaw-dropping, but if you have the money, well worth it, places like El Cajon, Lakeside and Santee are more affordable, around $750 for a one bedroom...if you have a friend, get a two bedroom and save...for the most part, groceries, insurance, gas, and the such are expensive, but compared to all of california, doable....if you want to come here and buy property, look to spend at least $250,000 for a condo(2br, 1 bath 800 sq. ft.) and $525000(4Br., 2 bath, 1400 sq. ft.) for a mediocre house in El Cajon, lakeside, National City(basically, anywhere that is 20 minutes away from Cali. fun)....Schools are great, but if you were moving to california, I would recommend Moreno Valley, San Bernardino, Riverside, good schools, cheaper rent, and available jobs, but those are my 2 cents////

[quote name='romodome']I live In Lakeside, which is a community about 15 miles from San Diego....It is expensive here, but jobs are abundant, just go to a temp agency and as long as you have some talent in clerical, you can easily geta temp-to-hire position at about 10 an hour, rent for a one bedroom ranges from 750-1300 depending where you want to live, coastal, like Pacific Beach and La Jolla will be jaw-dropping, but if you have the money, well worth it, places like El Cajon, Lakeside and Santee are more affordable, around $750 for a one bedroom...if you have a friend, get a two bedroom and save...for the most part, groceries, insurance, gas, and the such are expensive, but compared to all of california, doable....if you want to come here and buy property, look to spend at least $250,000 for a condo(2br, 1 bath 800 sq. ft.) and $525000(4Br., 2 bath, 1400 sq. ft.) for a mediocre house in El Cajon, lakeside, National City(basically, anywhere that is 20 minutes away from Cali. fun)....Schools are great, but if you were moving to california, I would recommend Moreno Valley, San Bernardino, Riverside, good schools, cheaper rent, and available jobs, but those are my 2 cents////[/quote]

Yeah, it would be nice, but I think I would find it way, way too hard to take at 50-75% pay cut and then move to a place that the cost of living is 2-3X higher. I think the people and traffic would end up driving me insane anyway.

Lets make one thing clear. Public transportation is horrible in CA. You absolutely need a reliable vehicle. If there is one thing I've learned since I moved to the east coast it's that most of CA was built with the car owner in mind. Look at all the spacious roads and highways. That's not the case out here on the east coast. If you don't have a reliable car you might want to hold off on the move until you do.

As an ex-Californian, I can honestly say that San Bernardino, Riverside and Moreno Valley are ghetto. Its ok if you want to work there, but not where you want to live. San Diego, if you can afford it, is much better than those areas. (On a side note, I've always wondered how the hell illegal immigrants could find an affordable place to stay in San Diego? Because they're everywhere....)

The weather in San Diego is nice year round, but places do tend to get a bit crowded over the summer.

[qoute]Maybe it's because you don't have marketable talents?
I've lived in the Midwest my entire life an have never been left wanting for a job. You think it's bad in the midwest, where there is a huge industrial base alway needing workers of a just about any skill level, just think about how bad it must be out West. I mean, heck, just in Michigan you have the world headquarters of the Big 3, many, many auto plants, tons of companies that exist soley to support the Big 3.... and those are just the jobs in that sector.[/quote]

The auto companies around here I have many friends family and neighgbors working for delphi gm, and chrsyler they get decent pay and laid off every month and a half for 4 weeks which I know is normal but working in a factory is not as great as everyone makes it out to be. we live in the midwest so The big jobs are the factory you tell me how great the factories are when you stand on your feet for 10 hours day and 60 years then get to reitre. I have marketable talents I graduted high school and college. you looking at it like the factories and auto compaines are where it is at it ain't.

I live in San Diego, and love it. There are only 3 things that blow.
1. Gas Prices
2. House Prices
3. Shitty FreeWay Traffic

But these things can be over looked as the quality of life and weather and all that great stuff makes up for it by leaps and bounds.

[quote name='Graystone'][qoute]Maybe it's because you don't have marketable talents?
I've lived in the Midwest my entire life an have never been left wanting for a job. You think it's bad in the midwest, where there is a huge industrial base alway needing workers of a just about any skill level, just think about how bad it must be out West. I mean, heck, just in Michigan you have the world headquarters of the Big 3, many, many auto plants, tons of companies that exist soley to support the Big 3.... and those are just the jobs in that sector.[/quote]

The auto companies around here I have many friends family and neighgbors working for delphi gm, and chrsyler they get decent pay and laid off every month and a half for 4 weeks which I know is normal but working in a factory is not as great as everyone makes it out to be. we live in the midwest so The big jobs are the factory you tell me how great the factories are when you stand on your feet for 10 hours day and 60 years then get to reitre. I have marketable talents I graduted high school and college. you looking at it like the factories and auto compaines are where it is at it ain't.[/quote]

You do realize that only a fraction of the employees of Ford, GM and D-C
work in factories, right? They keep a cadre of lawyers, thousands of IT professionals, Thousands of engineers, designers, researchers, etc. While you have the mistaken impression that it's only blue collar line jobs offered by the Big 3, they're still one of the largest employes in Michigan and many other parts of the Midwest....

and that isn't even begining to consider the providers of supplies, the contract houses, etc.

I mean, from the sounds of it, you've never seen the Ford, GM or D-C technical centers, or any other facility besides a production facility.

this might sound silly, but you might want to move to a more affordable part of Cali first, get established in your new state, and the move to San Diego later. I only suggest this because there are many other places in Cali that are just as beautiful and cool as Diego, but much cheaper to live; and i'm not suggesting any ghettos.

When you move to the other side of the continent, there is a lot of reacclimation to do; i (personally) would be scared to jump head-first into San Diego right off the bat. That's just me though....

And yes, San Diego (and most of California, for that matter) is wonderful, especially if you're used to being really hot/cold all the time where you live now...

/2 cents

[quote name='ex0']I live in San Diego, and love it. There are only 3 things that blow.
1. Gas Prices
2. House Prices

But these things can be over looked as the quality of life and weather and all that great stuff makes up for it by leaps and bounds.[/quote]

I just moved from San Diego after college and work (total 6 years) and lemme tell you, SD traffic is child's play compared to LA and Bay area. Yes, it's getting bad but it's still not THAT bad unless you plan to live up near Mira Mesa and north. I miss it there so much, but yes it was expensive. The question is will you have a job out there? That's really important, and the job market in SD isn't the best in the world (not the worst either) cept maybe if you go biotech.

I live in San Diego.

Let me tell ya, it's a great place. It may not be all crazy like Los Angeles or anything.

But hey, San Diego is a humble town, beautiful women, wonderful weather.

Sure the gas prices are high, jobs MAY be hard to come by(depending on what you're doing)... but it's a great location if you wanna live nicely.

Not that far from all the good shit in LA...(E3 when it's in town, Disneyland, Magic Mtn., etc...) Great night life, and a lot of shit, too much to go in depth too.

IT RUCKIN FOCKS MANG!

San Diego is an awful sports town. The Chargers are leaving, and all they'll have are the Padres. But no one even cares about them. The bars there suck too.

Personally I don't like warm sunny days every day of the year, but to each their own.

[quote name='nikkai'][quote name='ex0']I live in San Diego, and love it. There are only 3 things that blow.
1. Gas Prices
2. House Prices

But these things can be over looked as the quality of life and weather and all that great stuff makes up for it by leaps and bounds.[/quote]

I just moved from San Diego after college and work (total 6 years) and lemme tell you, SD traffic is child's play compared to LA and Bay area. Yes, it's getting bad but it's still not THAT bad unless you plan to live up near Mira Mesa and north. I miss it there so much, but yes it was expensive. The question is will you have a job out there? That's really important, and the job market in SD isn't the best in the world (not the worst either) cept maybe if you go biotech.[/quote]
Oh I know, I lived in LA for 8 years. When I moved to SD though, the traffic was fine, and the fact that there is really only one freeway to go from North to South County reals screws things up. I live in Scripps, which is one exit north of Mira Mesa..so :p.
Anyway my suggestion is this. Get a job where you travel north in the morning and south in the evening. It will help you avoid traffic a little better.

bread's done
Back