Should I pick up an Xbox 360 Elite for $230?

lukewin

CAGiversary!
Feedback
48 (100%)
I saw an Xbox 360 Elite for $230 at a pawn shop. The upside, it comes with a 120 gig hard drive. The downside, it comes with composite cables and a wired controller (not black). Manufacture date of 10-31-07. Should I pick it up?

I would at least ask to be able to boot it up before purchasing to make sure it doesn't have the RRoD. Plus you always run the risk with a used hard drive that the attached online profile has been banned.

[quote name='Ryouko']I would at least ask to be able to boot it up before purchasing to make sure it doesn't have the RRoD. Plus you always run the risk with a used hard drive that the attached online profile has been banned.[/QUOTE]

If I'm not mistaken, its the console itself that is banned, not the user profile.

It is the console ID that gets banned for modding. Profiles themselves can be banned for their behavior on live. If it's just a profile banning that's easy to get around. The console ID banning, not so much.

they had it hooked up and running, so I don't think the RROD is a problem. Picking up a 360 wasn't ever something I planned on doing, but picking up a great deal on a 360, I wouldn't mind.

It's a slippery slope OP. On one hand it's a great deal, but on the other hand it's a used 360...something you should avoid like the plague because of the awful problems that they have had. Your best bet in getting a 360 that will actually work (i.e. not RROD, banned, etc) is to buy it new. I would just say buyer beware here because that thing could end up being a $230 paper weight for all you know.

if it works, it works... just know that the elite only came out about a year... so red ring would still be covered... but if system is modded, then hope you like playing copy games... just remove faceplate to see if seal has be tampered with and when booting up, check if it detects the 120gb harddrive

great price i might add :D

[quote name='ogbaka']if it works, it works... just know that the elite only came out about a year... so red ring would still be covered...[/quote]

Unless the system was already registered, and the OP is not able to get warranty coverage from MS.

just me, but i would NEVER buy something like that from a pawn shop, it could be fucked up, or it could be STOLEN and as soon as you connect it to the internet, xbox can trace it because the serial number is programed into your system. (i believe, not 100% about them being able to trace it)

Honestly, I'd rather spend $299 on a brand-new 60GB 360, especially with all the holiday sales going on (not to mention two free games in the box).

[quote name='crzyjoeguy']just me, but i would NEVER buy something like that from a pawn shop, [/QUOTE]

dude, stop being paranoid.. if you buy a used console from gamestop it could be those exact same reason.

Most of the time people get in over their heads and they need to sell stuff off to make rent / pay bills. Usually the first things to go are entertainment stuff (like video games and dvds) . I purchased a PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Xboxes, GBAs, PSPs, DSes all work just fine, and no I haven't been "tracked" online .. you'd have to be stupid if you log in on someone else's XBL account. But I'm sure there are some dummies out there.. even then 9/10 times it isn't stolen or anything like that..

the best video game deals in the world are at pawn shops and yard sales.

[quote name='Walt Jay']Honestly, I'd rather spend $299 on a brand-new 60GB 360, especially with all the holiday sales going on (not to mention two free games in the box).[/QUOTE]

.. the two free games are not quality titles to say the least.. Lego Indiana Jones is OK, but it isn't an AAA title by any means..

As for the OP suggestion.. you know, xbox 360s are pretty cheap these days, I would just get a new one for under 300 bucks. You don't *really* need an elite unless you really want that hard drive.

It's not exactly paranoia to think a high-ticket item at a pawn shop could likely have be stolen, especially if you live in or around an urban area.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']It's not exactly paranoia to think a high-ticket item at a pawn shop could likely have be stolen, especially if you live in or around an urban area.[/QUOTE]

to be fair to pawn shops, they have to hold items for 2 weeks or so so if someone reports it to the police (and the police stop by there multiple times a week) and they have the item in question at the pawn shop, they then go ahead and find out who pawned it.. there is a lot that goes into it that some people don't think about.

so yeah.. you shouldn't be paranoid about things in the pawn shop.. or should you be worried about it, you can tell the cops, IF they EVER come talk to you about it, which pawn shop you bought it from and then go from there.. really, I wouldn't worry about buying those kinds of stuff from the pawn shops, just make sure you turn it on power a game up and see if it runs for 10 - 15 minutes before you go.. they'll let you do that.

[quote name='urzishra14']to be fair to pawn shops, they have to hold items for 2 weeks or so so if someone reports it to the police (and the police stop by there multiple times a week) and they have the item in question at the pawn shop, they then go ahead and find out who pawned it.. there is a lot that goes into it that some people don't think about.

so yeah.. you shouldn't be paranoid about things in the pawn shop.. or should you be worried about it, you can tell the cops, IF they EVER come talk to you about it, which pawn shop you bought it from and then go from there.. really, I wouldn't worry about buying those kinds of stuff from the pawn shops, just make sure you turn it on power a game up and see if it runs for 10 - 15 minutes before you go.. they'll let you do that.[/quote]

yea but ALOT of pawn shops will buy stolen shit at cheaper prices and not give a fuck, n i dont think its being paranoid to not want to buy something from a fucking pawn shop.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']It's not exactly paranoia to think a high-ticket item at a pawn shop could likely have be stolen, especially if you live in or around an urban area.[/quote]

and i am from baltimore city so yea, alot grimmy shit happens there so i have the right to be weary of pawn shops. (i no longer live in bmore)

[quote name='crzyjoeguy']yea but ALOT of pawn shops will buy stolen shit at cheaper prices and not give a fuck, n i dont think its being paranoid to not want to buy something from a fucking pawn shop.[/QUOTE]

and the fucking cops show up to your fucking house every fucking day just to make sure you didn't fucking steal every fucking thing in your fucking house too huh?

Who cares if it's stolen? Like the original owner really wrote down their serial number. :roll: And big whoop, it's USED. Ooooh. Ever heard of a 3 year RROD warranty? It was manufactured in 07, meaning that the earliest it could lose its warranty is in 2010. Sell the cables and controller for $25, then buy a Wireless controller and HDMI for $35. Congrats, you've got a $240 Elite.

Buy it. The black color is totally worth it. :bouncy:

[quote name='Access_Denied']Who cares if it's stolen? Like the original owner really wrote down their serial number. :roll: And big whoop, it's USED. Ooooh. Ever heard of a 3 year RROD warranty? It was manufactured in 07, meaning that the earliest it could lose its warranty is in 2010. Sell the cables and controller for $25, then buy a Wireless controller and HDMI for $35. Congrats, you've got a $240 Elite.

Buy it. The black color is totally worth it. :bouncy:[/quote]

Wow, ever heard of a console that was already registered and not covered by the warranty? Yeah...totally worth it when the guy ends up with a $200+ paperweight. He'll be the coolest kid in the city.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Wow, ever heard of a console that was already registered and not covered by the warranty? Yeah...totally worth it when the guy ends up with a $200+ paperweight. He'll be the coolest kid in the city.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I have heard of it. But the good thing is, the OP is the original owner, he just moved. Does MS have a policy where you warranty expires if you move? ;)

[quote name='urzishra14']and the fucking cops show up to your fucking house every fucking day just to make sure you didn't fucking steal every fucking thing in your fucking house too huh?[/quote]

awwww whats the matter got a little sand in your vagina, dood its my fucking opinion and i have the right to have it if you dont like it then fuck off plain and simple

bread's done
Back