Should I send in my working 360?

aktick

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
My 1 year non-RROD warranty will be up early November. Unit was replaced in like April, the one I have now has a manufacture date of 12/05, and seems to be just fine (though it's louder than hell).

Do you think I should just say that this one is acting up, order a coffin, and get a new one (hopefully a newer HDMI system)? If they get my old one, and test it and find nothing wrong (I've no idea if they test them or not? I'd think they would?), will they just ship it back to me? Or do you think they'll just send me a known working system no questions asked?

From about April until early November, I probably play it 3 hours a week. During the winter months I'll bet it's 4 or 5 times that. I'd much rather be without it for the next few weeks than the middle of January. And the fact that the 3 year warranty only covers RROD issues has me worried that it'll be my drive that acts up (which is why I sent my first unit in), and I'll be SOL and have to pay for it to be fixed.

I hate to have to play games with them like this, but it's kind of their own fault.

console is covered for 3 years for RROD, and u haven't had a problem so far so there is no need to get it replaced.

What it sounds like you want to do is send in your console just so you get some sort of extra warranty just in case something else happens which is not RROD. which would be a waste of MS's time and also make is more difficult for those who actually got the RROD from getting there console back in time.

you are getting another refurbish unit, and some people ended up having to send that one back when it has problem.

[quote name='ighosty']console is covered for 3 years for RROD, and u haven't had a problem so far so there is no need to get it replaced.

What it sounds like you want to do is send in your console just so you get some sort of extra warranty just in case something else happens which is not RROD. which would be a waste of MS's time and also make is more difficult for those who actually got the RROD from getting there console back in time.[/quote]

Yes, I understand the console is covered for 3 years for RROD, that was the entire point of my asking - the first time I had to send my console in, it was because my DVD drive wasn't reading discs. If that happens again on November 15th, what happens? I'm guessing I'll have to pony up who knows how much to get it repaired. And this disc reading problem is pretty common. If it was also covered for 3 years, I would obviously just keep it and hope it doesn't happen again, but if it did I'd be covered, so wouldn't be too upset.

Otherwise if my console gets the disc read problem after the 1 year warranty, I'm going to probably have to try and produce the RROD so it'll be covered.

Again, I hate to do any of this crap, but MS is kind of forcing us to do it.

[quote name='62t']you are getting another refurbish unit, and some people ended up having to send that one back when it has problem.[/quote]

Yeah, that's the main reason I wouldn't do it. If I knew I'd get a known working unit back, it'd make the decision easier.

um...ever heard of dont fix what aint broke?

Do you ever heard of someone getting warranty work done on a car with no problems? Also, you ever dropped off a car for warranty work just to pick it up and find out they upgraded you to leather or added a gps?

seriously.....

I understand that you would be very mad if your console crapped out right after the warranty went out, but the same thing happens with every electronic.

Would you send your TV back for repair when it wasn't needed, your camcorder, your ps2, your ipod? Where would it end? If electronic happen to not work after the warranty goes out then that is just unfortunate for that person. It happens to thousands of people everyday and it is something you just need to understand instead of trying to rip off a company.

Clearly you guys have had much better experiences with MS than I have, so I apologize for asking here.

The last thing I'm attempting to do is rip anybody off. If I had a car and it was discovered that make and model had a problem with the ignition, I'd expect them to fix whatever the problem was with the ignition, not give me another car with that same defect. Same goes for a TV, camcorder, or ipod.

I fully understand consumer electronics all have a certain defect rate. It's just that most all of them fix any major known problems, not just replace with a ticking time bomb.

Maybe my problem is that in my business, if I sell somebody something and it doesn't do what promised, my ass is grass. I might be unfairly holding MS to the same standards of honesty and integrity.

Again, I apologize for bringing it up, and can completely understand why you'd think I was trying to "pull one over" on MS. :)

[quote name='aktick']Clearly you guys have had much better experiences with MS than I have, so I apologize for asking here.

The last thing I'm attempting to do is rip anybody off. If I had a car and it was discovered that make and model had a problem with the ignition, I'd expect them to fix whatever the problem was with the ignition, not give me another car with that same defect. Same goes for a TV, camcorder, or ipod.

I fully understand consumer electronics all have a certain defect rate. It's just that most all of them fix any major known problems, not just replace with a ticking time bomb.

Maybe my problem is that in my business, if I sell somebody something and it doesn't do what promised, my ass is grass. I might be unfairly holding MS to the same standards of honesty and integrity.

Again, I apologize for bringing it up, and can completely understand why you'd think I was trying to "pull one over" on MS. :)[/quote]

I'd say...if the system you have now is problem free...just hold onto it and use it. The replacement you'll get from Microsoft will be a refurbished one. I doubt they will send you a newer HDMI console seeing as how they probably have a large lot of busted 360s that they'll fix and send back out again. The system you'll be getting won't have a significantly better disc drive than the one you have now.

No, you shouldn't.

Even though the 3 year warranty is only for the 3 RRoD, you're not supposed to send in something that works for an exchange. Microsoft would test it anyways, and ship it back to you if nothing is wrong with it. So you would be wasting both your time and Microsoft's time.

If your dvd drive fails, that is something that is relatively easy to replace yourself provided that you go to a site like xboxscene.com and learn how to pull the dvd drive key, which you can put into your replacement drive.

Then you'll have wasted everybody's time and shipping for the privilege of having the shipper kick the shit out of your 360 on the trip there and back.

bread's done
Back