Should I trade new 80 gb PS3 for backwards compatible 80 gb one? or even the 60gb one

hooncake

CAG Veteran
Hi,

I realized I wanted to play ff 12 (played 10 already) and maybe play shadow of colossus, persona 4, god of war 1 and 2.

should i trade my 2 weeks old 80 gb ps3 for backwards compatible one on craigslist?

or try to get ps2 for 40 bucks which i can..? what would you guys do?

thanks

No, keep the PS3 you have. While the 60GB failure rate is still lower than some other console or even older PS consoles, it's more likely to happen because they are older consoles, have by far the most electrical components (more components usually means higher chance of failure), warranty is likely up (and if it breaks and you have no receipt to prove it was bought within a year, you gotta pay $150. Plus we've already had a few threads of broken 60GB consoles bought from CL and so on), and they dissipate more power (meaning they get hot much faster). 60GB consoles were last made in Feb./Mar. 2007 I believe. Not to scare people with the 60GB, but from what I've seen on various polls (of the SKU people own directly to failure), 60GB has by far the most failures. Personally, I feel its way too risky to get one. The 80GB with partial software BC is a better bet on lasting (I have yet to hear them have a yellow light error or blinking light error), but if I wasn't getting one new, I'd just avoid it personally (because if you buy new and have a receipt, you will at least have a year warranty).

Personally, PS2 BC is a mixed bag. While it can be nice having an all in one console and not having to use memory cards for saves, there are still some issues such as a little input lag, none of the SKUs have perfect PS2 BC (a firmware update CAN screw up a game's compatibility), some games upscaled and smooth actually look worse (PS2 games look the best on a PS2, connected to an SDTV), you are signed off of PSN when playing PS2 games (you have to reconnect the controller pressing the PS Button when first playing a PS2 game, and when you exit), and they take the longest time to boot up.

While I have a PS3 SKU with PS2 BC, I actually rather have one without, because it uses less power (and quieter), more likely to survive over time (my PS3 warranty is up), and so on. I only used my PS2 BC right when I got my PS3 near launch, but once I got my HDTV and more PS2 games, I just can't go back to playing PS2. The only thing I don't like is less USB ports, but oh course I can get a hub.

EDIT: Here is a thread over a CL situation on a 60GB
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198546

EDIT 2: It may be best you post this in the PS3 FAQ thread stickied, because that's where PS3 related questions are asked and answered.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm the opposite of Mana. I bought a 60gig SKU back when they were on "fire sale" before they discontinued them and I couldn't be happier.

I probably play more PS2 games on my PS3 lately. Persona 4 has been hogging my system for the past 40 hours and I've been working my way back through the entire Metal Gear collection. I have a few other PS2 RPG's that need to be finished eventually as well.

I've never noticed my PS3 having any lag when playing my PS2 games and my only complaint is that the PS3 in its nature runs hot, so my game room can get kinda steamy if I have the heat on and the PS3 is running.

I don't have the space to store a PS2 and I find it kinda silly to have one when I can play anything I want on my PS3.

:p

[quote name='blackjaw']I'm the opposite of Mana. I bought a 60gig SKU back when they were on "fire sale" before they discontinued them and I couldn't be happier.[/quote]Since you bought a new PS3, that's why I don't see an issue with what you did. You know how long it has been left on and how it has been treated. Consoles which come used, there's no telling what happened to it. Previous generations, it wasn't so bad to recommend someone to buy used since consoles were either more durable and less complicated. Since someone could leave their PS3 Folding@Home for several weeks, allow too much dust to get inside, or many other things not taking care of it well, it may not last (or be dead on arrival).

I've never noticed my PS3 having any lag when playing my PS2 games and my only complaint is that the PS3 in its nature runs hot, so my game room can get kinda steamy if I have the heat on and the PS3 is running.
MarkMan explained about it before, but its something you notice if you are hardcore into fighters, music games, etc. where timing is a bit off; however, the lag is no where near as severe as playing a PS1 game on PS3 (now that makes games unplayable, especially for a music game). If you are playing a turn-based RPG for an example that doesn't require precise timing, it's okay (Shadow Hearts for an example may be a tad problematic).

Oh yeah, I forgot to add that if someone wants to get PS2 accessories to work on PS3, forget it. Most adapters have input lag, and some accessories just won't work at all no matter what you do (like the Taiko Drum and Guitar controller for every GH game after the 1st). Just a rumor I'm hearing is that the recent firmware update screwed up some USB -> PS2 adapters working on consoles. I don't believe this is an issue for someone like blackjaw since I don't think he uses his PS3 for those types of games (from the PS2 BC).

I would probably invest in a ps2 slim in your situation (don't know how you cannot have room for one). They are conveniently small. I still use my fat whenever I need to play a fighter on the system. I lucky don't have to worry about input lag since there is no emulation or adapters involved.

This thread just makes me glad I got an early PS3 which had the BC, I take it for granted now. Never had a problem with BC since launch.

That said, I actually agree with those who say get a PS2 slim, especially given how cheap it is now. I would always be weary of something like that on Craigslist, and I'd feel much better keeping the brand new PS3 and just springing the 100 bucks for the older console. I don't know what sort of factor money is in your thinking though.

[quote name='camoor']Is that 80GB PS3 with the two games out yet (resistance and motorstorm)?[/QUOTE]Yes it is. I actually saw it at Target (before it was actually suppose to be released and took a picture of it).

zl2bdl.jpg

Like what seems to be the majority, if you want to play PS2 games, just buy a slim PS2 cheap (used PS2 would be okay even, since it's just not as complicated as a PS3). I honestly just don't recommend at all buying a used 60GB (due to way too many problems I've heard on forums over used ones, and I could safely say the percentage of used ones working well after a while wasn't too high, partially because you never know what the previous owner could have done with it). And if the PS3 breaks, you'll have to pay $150 + tax to repair it (SCEA also requires a receipt for all warranty repairs), which could turn a $200-$430 60GB purchase into much more, and only get another refurb. back. And with a new 80GB, as long as you have a receipt, you are covered for at least a year if anything goes wrong.

For those who're still interested in buying/finding a used BC PS3 ...

Since I'm a new member, I won't post the link unless people here say it's okay. But I found a reputable online retailer which seems to have the best price for a used BC 60GB PS3.

Just keep it and either get a new "slim" ps2 or get a "fat" PS2 with a network adapter,500gb HDD, HD Loader backup your games onto it and enjoy your disk less PS2 with faster loading than playing them off the disks and your set.

bread's done
Back