Should i trust refurbished consoles?

JJBro1

CAGiversary!
I just saw a psp go for 160 but it was refurbished. I was also thinking about buying a ps3 slim refurbished. Thing is, i never bought anything that wasn't new. Has anyone had any experience buying a refurbished console? Was it good or bad?

In my experiences the only refurbished/used system I have ever had an issue with was the 360 (shocker I know). My 80gb PS3 is a gamestop refurb and my OG xbox was a MS refurb and that thing lasted me years before I sold it off. All in all I think it boils down to how much your gonna save. 10-20 bucks I would say hold off for new but if it is a significant amount (30+ dollars) I would say go for it

a bit of paranoia, a bit of common sense, and consider where you're going to buy the refurbished console/handheld. If it's from off the street, CL, etc you're probably better off paying extra for peace of mind. If it's from GS or someone that actually gives a warranty, you've have a much better chance of coming out ontop. The psp go was probably some someone who bought it/won it/stole it, didn't like it, then promptly returned it.

I wouldn't however buy a refur'd xbox 360. You can get them pretty cheap lately.

If buying from GS, buy a warranty. My cousin just had his serviced through use of the warranty and found it to be the best $20 (at the time I believe) he ever spent, as it was a straight up replacement (with a newer refurb unit).

I've never boughten one, but he loves his, so get one you can trust/from a place you can trust.

If you're getting it straight from the manufacturer--like the 360 refurbished Microsoft units GS and other retailers sell--then it's well worth it. It comes with the standard manufacturer's warranty, packed like a new system.

If you're going to get refurbished, well... I'll not entertain you with stories of the "Roach Box" from my days in video game retail.

I always use the warranty as a guide. Case in point Apple refurbished has the same warranty as new products. Plus I know the ease of use of apples warranty since I have used it before which is just take it to the apple store and they will handle it. So for apple products I don't think twice about it, while with pretty much everywhere else I tend to tread with caution as many times the warranty is 30-90 days, not sure who supports the warranty, etc. The saving for me need to be substantial for me to deal with the possible headaches, like my sony soundbar I bought for around $100 less than I could find anywhere else.

[quote name='Trudy']

If you're going to get refurbished, well... I'll not entertain you with stories of the "Roach Box" from my days in video game retail.[/QUOTE]
Story time! I wanna read about those stories! NOW!

[quote name='JJBro1']I just saw a psp go for 160 but it was refurbished. I was also thinking about buying a ps3 slim refurbished. Thing is, i never bought anything that wasn't new. Has anyone had any experience buying a refurbished console? Was it good or bad?[/QUOTE]

IMO you can. However, just make sure that you get coverage!!
SqaureTrade is a great company with good reviews.
http://www.amazon.com/SquareTrade-3...00/dp/B001N89OCI/ref=acc_glance_vg_ai_BST_t_1
I bought a refurb 360 from Amazon and bought the 3 year warranty for $24. Call them up, they will cover things bought in other stores and even Ebay if you add them within the first month.
1-877-WARRANTY.

bread's done
Back