Should people only buy a Wii if they have friends?

Zen Davis

Banned
I've noticed a lot of people complaining about the lack of games for the Wii and although I can totally relate to them on the single player front, my brother, his friend, and myself had a blast going through Wii Tennis, Excite Truck, Cooking Mama, and Dragonball Z Budokai Tenakichi 2 over the Easter weekend. Out of all the games, Excite Truck probably got the most play but all of them were very fun.

Now my question is for everyone who says that their Wii consoles have been collecting dust since they've gotten it. Are you more inclined to play with people anonymously online than with friends and family? Although the thrill is there in online gameplay, I can't believe that playing with people you know has lost all of its appeal. What do you guys think?

Honestly, I think a Wii purchase depends not only on whether or not your friends or local or far-away but also based on how much enjoyment you get out of the games themselves. I have friends who are absolutely sick of minigame compilations yet they have a wealth of gaming friends living nearby and in their home. Should they get a Wii? They still can't decide because the fun is there but they aren't too fond of what's available title-wise.

It really depends, overall. I prefer my 360 over the Wii not because of the games, mostly because I find there to be worthwhile titles across both consoles, but because most of my college friends are scattered throughout the country and we're all connected through the 360. If Nintendo rolled out online capabilities with the Wii from the start and also included some Melee action (or announced such in the near or forseeable future) we all could have all ended up with Wiis instead. But, at the moment, it is what it is.

That and, thanks to CAG, I've been paying around $1.50 per month for XBLive for the past two years, and $1 per month for the next two. Now that's reasonable for a robust service! But if the Wii has reasonable online and everyone picks it up I can easily go the other way as well.

[quote name='mastarecoil']A general rule is people on this forum are whiny 14 year olds, so they have no friends.[/quote]

I think your thinking of gamefaqs...

Zelda was the only thing I played by myself... and WarioWare too but that lasted for a whole 4 hours to unlock everything.

I enjoy playing a few short rounds of Wii Sports or Wii Play by myself but it's definitely a party with friends.

Wii sports is the only game I have for the Wii that I play with friends and that got old after about 10-15 hours (but I still play occasionally). From what I've heard and experienced myself all the other games you listed aren't exactly AAA titles and are only worth renting at most.

It doesn't depend if you play with your friends it depends if you and your friends like simple (not necessarily boring) games. My friends and I mostly prefer games like Rainbow Six Vegas, Gears coop, Halo 1, and pc games so the Wii sucks ATM IMO.

I do like the older monkeyballs and still play Mario Party 1 sometimes, but most of the Wii games don't seem to have much effort put into them (considering Monkeyball 1 and 2 scored in the high 80's on gamerankings and the Wii's version got 73%).

As someone without friends *sniff. I know* or at least someone without friends within half an hour of himself, I can say my Wii has been collecting dust. I really want to like the system, but there are very few solid single player experiences yet. Then again, this statement is coming from someone who really doesn't do that much console gaming these days so take that for what it's worth.

as of now, it's probably a good idea only to get a Wii if you have friends to play with every now and then(they dont necessarily have to be gamer friends)

My friends aren't into gaming, but there are a ton of good single player Wii games out right now.

Zelda: TP, Trauma Center, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather, SSX Blur, not to mention the Virtual Console.

I have plenty of fun with my Wii, I'm kinda shocked people people are kinda classifying it as a multiplayer only system. Sure, it has some party games, but it also has some strong single player games as well.

I forgot Cooking Mama, I had a blast with the DS one and that had no multiplayer, I can't imagine not having a blast with the single player in Cooking Mama for the Wii as well.

[quote name='DrFoo']Wii sports is the only game I have for the Wii that I play with friends and that got old after about 10-15 hours (but I still play occasionally). From what I've heard and experienced myself all the other games you listed aren't exactly AAA titles and are only worth renting at most.

It doesn't depend if you play with your friends it depends if you and your friends like simple (not necessarily boring) games. My friends and I mostly prefer games like Rainbow Six Vegas, Gears coop, Halo 1, and pc games so the Wii sucks ATM IMO.

I do like the older monkeyballs and still play Mario Party 1 sometimes, but most of the Wii games don't seem to have much effort put into them (considering Monkeyball 1 and 2 scored in the high 80's on gamerankings and the Wii's version got 73%).[/quote]
DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 2 is hardly a simple game. Having spent a number of hours with with, the game has a serious learning curve to it. I just think that because a game is only AA instead of AAA, it is still work checking out.

I've gotten myself a blockbuster game pass to play through Cooking Mama, The Godfather, SSX Blur, Super Paper Mario, and a couple of other games to see exactly how much fun I can have with the console in order to buy the games that appeal to me. It comes across that you haven't even tried any of the other games I mentioned (don't start with Cooking Mama) yet you've written them off and as such, the Wii as well.

[quote name='dallow']So Godfather and SSX Blur are fun?[/quote]
I've heard that The Godfather is very decent. I'm looking forward to playing it.

Yeah, I don't think its a good idea to buy one if you don't have friends close by. I have fallen into the trap of having friends everywhere except for here! So the wii wouldn't do me any good at this point. Not to mention the fact that I am an adult and would need friends who would be willing to come over and who would have time and transportation to do that, juggling schedules when everyone is working/school is sometimes not easy. I actually don't like any of the 3 current consoles at this point and I will be holding out until something that I am satisfied with happens. I am just too cheap to buy any of them, plus I have a whole collection of games that I am very satisfied with to keep me busy, at least 20 unplayed gamecube games and 2 major pokemon releases on the way for the DS. No need to spend for a new major console right away.

[quote name='ahmedmalik']I've heard that The Godfather is very decent. I'm looking forward to playing it.[/quote]

I guess that barely qualifies it for rental status.
I'll get around to it.

I see all these first generation Wii titles becoming clearance much faster than games for other systems.

Don't forget that there's a whole bunch of gamecube games for it and the sort of okay virtual console.
Add Super Paper Mario as a reason for getting the wii.

I'm just renting the games for now but eventually some good stuff will show up, it's like the first year of DS where the games were just kind of meh.

My friends still kinda like it, but we have more fun with the...PS..man, nevermind, I'll just shut my mouth. :lol:

[quote name='ahmedmalik']DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 2 is hardly a simple game. Having spent a number of hours with with, the game has a serious learning curve to it. I just think that because a game is only AA instead of AAA, it is still work checking out.
[/quote]

Agreed, its a decent fighter game. The only reason I see that people keep saying that it's not even worth lookin if your not a fan of the series is that the character selection is small at the beginning. The fighting is pretty repititive at the beginning, and the single player mode basically the same thing over and over again, fighting and winning and fighting and winning. There is a pretty big gap between difficulty levels and I guess most players would stick at easy, making the game tiring quickly since it has no variation. And all the effort going through it is not worth it for a non-fan. There's a pretty big learning curve, as said above. The controls are hard to explain, its simple, but there's so many options. And with the speed the game is going at, it is great and frantic fun.... Once you pull through most of the game...

[quote name='dallow']
I see all these first generation Wii titles becoming clearance much faster than games for other systems.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, the first generation games getting clearanced are either a) little kids games, and those don't have a strong shelf life at all or b) games that are really very shitty (Far Cry).

You've still got a number of very strong, decent games that haven't yet gone clearance.

Right now? Maybe. Zelda and Super Paper Mario are great single player exclusives, but that's pretty much it. So it wouldn't hurt to wait on buying one if you don't play much multiplayer (mines gathered a lot of dust since Lauch for that reason--most multiplayer I do is at my friends on his 360).

But in the long run, heck no. There will be a lot of great single player games. Mario Galaxy, Metroid, probably a Pikmin game and tons more.

since ive beat zelda my wii has primarily been a multiplayer console. but there are some new games i want to pick up like sonic and paper mario, not to mention games down the pipe

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']SSX Blur is the worst Wii game I've played thus far. Stay far away.[/quote]
I'm actually really enjoying SSX Blur. I haven't played any of the previous SSX's, so maybe if you're used to a dual analog setup, you wouldn't like this iteration. I definitely recommend spending time with the tutorials to get used to the controls (especially the uber tricks, which take a little while to get the hang of).

Single player games I've enjoyed: Excite Truck, Zelda, Paper Mario, SSX Blur, Sonic - of those, I've spent the most time with Excite Truck.

Honorable mentions: Elebits (got annoyed with the "don't break more than 5 objects, don't be too loud" restrictions) and Trauma Center (played the DS version too recently, will probably go back to the Wii version after a little break).

Well it is obvious, Rather your talking PS3 or Wii, or at the moment any console nothing seems to really be coming out. However I personally could care less about online play or "party"/friend games. Sure when my friends come over we have fun playing Wii Play, Wii Sports and Rayman, but I rather have good single player games(Metriod/Zelda/TMNT/BurnOUt/God of War/DMC) or Top Notch Sports games like other consoles version of Madden and Tiger Woods and When friends come over play cards or risk.

[quote name='ahmedmalik']I've noticed a lot of people complaining about the lack of games for the Wii and although I can totally relate to them on the single player front, my brother, his friend, and myself had a blast going through Wii Tennis, Excite Truck, Cooking Mama, and Dragonball Z Budokai Tenakichi 2 over the Easter weekend. Out of all the games, Excite Truck probably got the most play but all of them were very fun.

Now my question is for everyone who says that their Wii consoles have been collecting dust since they've gotten it. Are you more inclined to play with people anonymously online than with friends and family? Although the thrill is there in online gameplay, I can't believe that playing with people you know has lost all of its appeal. What do you guys think?[/quote]

[quote name='rendil']I'm actually really enjoying SSX Blur. I haven't played any of the previous SSX's, so maybe if you're used to a dual analog setup, you wouldn't like this iteration. I definitely recommend spending time with the tutorials to get used to the controls (especially the uber tricks, which take a little while to get the hang of).[/quote]

I loved the previous SSX games because of the great controls.
I have a feeling this one would be very terrible to me.

I haven't gotten around to Elebits though. I do want to try that one out.

[quote name='ahmedmalik']DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 2 is hardly a simple game. Having spent a number of hours with with, the game has a serious learning curve to it. I just think that because a game is only AA instead of AAA, it is still work checking out.

I've gotten myself a blockbuster game pass to play through Cooking Mama, The Godfather, SSX Blur, Super Paper Mario, and a couple of other games to see exactly how much fun I can have with the console in order to buy the games that appeal to me. It comes across that you haven't even tried any of the other games I mentioned (don't start with Cooking Mama) yet you've written them off and as such, the Wii as well.
[/QUOTE]
I've tried several of them and they are all fun for a little while, but that's it. DBZ might not be simple, but it got a 72% on gamerankings, and I don't even really like fighters (except SSB :) )

It seems like a very small percentage of people here enjoy all these games on the Wii, but I don't know anyone IRL that enjoys them all that much, and obviously reviewers don't think they are exactly amazing. Zelda's it for me for now.

[quote name='DrFoo']I've tried several of them and they are all fun for a little while, but that's it. DBZ might not be simple, but it got a 72% on gamerankings, and I don't even really like fighters (except SSB :) )

It seems like a very small percentage of people here enjoy all these games on the Wii, but I don't know anyone IRL that enjoys them all that much, and obviously reviewers don't think they are exactly amazing. Zelda's it for me for now.[/quote]

I own DBZ for the PS2 and this one is plays entirely differently and is definitely worth a go. Check the IGN review if you must for an idea of how the game plays. It's definitely not traditional.

And about gamesrankings - like I said. Even if it's not the amazing selection of games in the world, it doesn't mean they won't bring a smile to your face. :D

bread's done
Back