Should Sony retire the Dualshock design completely for PS4?

Another (maybe fake?) pic

originalrdy.jpg

I'm really glad they didn't move the left analog stick.

As long as third party companies come out with xbox type controllers for the PS4 I don't care what Sony does with their design. Right now I use the Power-A wired controller, looks and feels exactly like the 360's controller, and I love that. Can't stand the feel or position of the sticks on a Sony controller.

I've never cared for it. I prefer offset analog sticks and triggers. Much better for shooters IMO, and that's most of what I play. Moot though as I doubt I'll get a PS4. If I buy any next gen system I'd probably just stick with Xbox as I don't game enough to own more than one console again and I enjoy the MS first party stuff more than Sony's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why not change the controller but make the PS4 backwards compatible with DS3 controllers? A la Gamecube controllers on the Wii. It's little more work for the developers but it'll make a lot of gamers happy.

I think the new design looks good. It looks like they made the controller the right width finally. What I do not understand is why do they need a dedicated button to record and share? I can't imagine using that button much it seems like a menu option would do just fine.

[quote name='Javery']I will never press the record or share button... ever. Total waste of real estate![/QUOTE]

im sure all of us have had a funny moment in games where we would have liked to share it with some ppl on our friends list.

they werent going to put anything else in that "real estate"

[quote name='8bitArtist']im sure all of us have had a funny moment in games where we would have liked to share it with some ppl on our friends list.

they werent going to put anything else in that "real estate"[/QUOTE]

Nothing anyone does while playing any game is that interesting. :D

[quote name='Indiana']I think the new design looks good. It looks like they made the controller the right width finally. What I do not understand is why do they need a dedicated button to record and share? I can't imagine using that button much it seems like a menu option would do just fine.[/QUOTE]

It's an option integrated into the system itself, not something up to the developers to add in from what I understand.

It would be like needing to go into the menu in a game and choosing to pull up XMB.

I think i would use the share button a lot. I wish i had such a feature when playing skyrim. Just screen caps of the scenery would have been awesome. To be able to rewind and upload a video of something funny in assassins creed 3. Not to mention being able to record multiplayer matches like COD.

The controller looks good to me. The analogs look further apart, I really hated how close the analogs were on the dual shock 3. Triggers look better shaped, but still look like they are made from the same slippery plastic that the DS3 has. Dpad looks bigger. Analog tops look better for grip, and overall the controller looks more comfortable to hold.

Yeah, the sticks being further apart is an improvement, but I still vastly prefer offset analog sticks. The triggers still suck too.

[quote name='Javery']Nothing anyone does while playing any game is that interesting. :D[/QUOTE]
Someone's jelly of pro gamers. . .

I'd never, ever use the Share button either. I really don't want/need to show anyone anything I'm doing in a game, for me that's a lame addition. Would def be trading in this controller and opting for a third party one, if I can ever afford a PS4.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']I'm never going to use the Share feature either but I understand that many people would use it and I think it's a cool feature.[/QUOTE]

it's been on xbox for over two years now share feature and no one uses it on that thing lol no one wants to flood facebook and twitter with games they are playing. I know i don't want to see it flood my fb and twitter

i love the design of dual shock from ps1. The problem is with the touch screen and built in senser light thing i think we are looking at 60-70 bucks a controller which is way too high.

[quote name='praxus07']I'd never, ever use the Share button either. I really don't want/need to show anyone anything I'm doing in a game, for me that's a lame addition. Would def be trading in this controller and opting for a third party one, if I can ever afford a PS4.[/QUOTE]

problem is 3rd party controllers will for sure include touch screen and maybe cut out share button. But the 3rd party will still need the touch screen and the senser bar on top which will not make it any cheaper. Seeing some games will require the use of that senser bar on top and touch screen.

[quote name='MetalSlugger']The Share feature is awesome solely for the video recording aspect. No more $150-200 capture devices complicating my setup.[/QUOTE]

This is the main benefit I've seen, but this is a feature that should have been in the last generation. I can already do that with my PC easily.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']it's been on xbox for over two years now share feature and no one uses it on that thing lol no one wants to flood facebook and twitter with games they are playing. I know i don't want to see it flood my fb and twitter[/QUOTE]

That's not all it does.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']i love the design of dual shock from ps1. The problem is with the touch screen and built in senser light thing i think we are looking at 60-70 bucks a controller which is way too high.[/QUOTE]That'll be the main reason to buy a controller/game bundle the savings will be worth it.

bread's done
Back