Sid Meier's "Pirates" $12.50 Target Clearance (YMMV as usual)

Advocatus

CAGiversary!
Sid Meier's Pirates $12.50 Most stores do not have it clearance priced yet. Check the scanner, if it says cannot find price on clearance items, it's a go

I made a new thread, because most places still have this full price.
This is also in the Target clearance thread

This was in Plymouth Meeting, PA. Don't bother checking there now.

My brother reported (Columbus, OH) went to his target and found the box, still labelled $49.99. He took it to the price scanner and it said something like, "Cannot find price on clearance item"... so he took it to the registar. There is some difficulty getting the 12.50 to come up, but if it's market clearance it should be.

Good luck.

Edit: To Add, my box has a sticker on the bottom that says, "As Is Was $49.99 Now $12.48" The box was in perfect unopened condition.

im going to slap the first person to post:

"zomg j00 n00ber, po5t in teh t4r637 thr3add!1!1"

this is an amazing deal on one of the best games of last year. its worthy of its on thread.

sadly my comp could never run this game. i will still check target for this in case i ever build a decent compy capable of running this. hell my comp cant even run arcanum of steamworks and magic obscura :whistle2:/

hmm i am considering preordering the xbox version of this game for $30 at gamerush... I dunno if that is a good use of credit or not tho since the xbox game is only $40 msrp

I am a PC gaming noob, but isnt it just a matter of time before all pc games go to $10 new(either at target or gogamer or frys/outpost or whereever?)

Pretty much. PC games drop like a rock compared to console versions, and there are very few "rare" PC games. And they usually don't become rare until several years after they are released if they are going to. There is always a pretty big window where you can pick up a certain game for dirt cheap.

I might go check this out. I've never really been into PC gaming, but I've always been fascinated with the piratical lifestyle.

I played Pirates! on the Commodore 64, Pirates! Gold on the PC and Genesis, and now this one. They are all fantastic games I have sunk hundreds of hours into, you really can't go wrong.

Will be checking out Target tomorrow, thanks OP. I have a Target and a Super Target within a mile of eachother - hopefully one of them will have this deal. Wouldn't mind killing some time playing this game (big time sink).

thanks for the find OP. i might have have to check this out for my future computer. do you guys think that the xbox version or the pc version will be better??

[quote name='punqsux']im going to slap the first person to post:

"zomg j00 n00ber, po5t in teh t4r637 thr3add!1!1"

this is an amazing deal on one of the best games of last year. its worthy of its on thread.[/QUOTE]

Danza-slap I hope

The odds that it's less than $35 at my local Super Target are probably one in ten-thousand.

Though, if I'm up that way during my work schedule, I'll have to stop in and check. :)

The Target I went to had 3 on the shelf marked at $49.99. No stickers or clearance markings on the box. Did the scan and came up not found in the system. Went to the register and didn't come up either. Cashier called electronics dept. and was told game was shelf price $49.99. Didn't buy. Went back to electronics dept. to confirm and associate was in the process of scanning games to get info. I said I had a friend who bought on clearance for $12.50. He said it's not in the system and when games aren't they are the price on the shelf. Maybe I'm paranoid but he seemed to be lusting after the 3 copies. Didn't buy. Good luck.

Just visited a target in Jax, FL. Price on the shelf was $49.99. I took it to the scanner and the lady in the games department and the game wouldn't scan. Half the people in the store were walking around with price guns, repricing things, so I don't think they had gotten around to changing the game price yet.

Anyway, to make a long story short, the game never rang up for any price, I told the lady it should be $12.50 and she sold it to me for that amount. Just had to wait 20 minutes while they kept trying to look it up.

Good find OP!

Same thing happened to me as the previous two posters in Wake Forest for all the NC guys looking to get this. Marked 49.99 on the shelf, nothing doing on the scanner, and when the guy in the electronics department scanned it for me, it wouldn't come up in the system.

So I was outta luck. He said that they may be in the process of clearancing it out and that's why the system isn't showing it, but I didn't buy that.

I'll probably check back in a day or two to see if it's been updated. Of course, they'll all be gone at that point.

I have little to no luck with the Target YMMV deals, but I've been wanting this game so I figured I'd check out the Target down the road. They had three copies on the shelf all marked at $49.99 with no sign of a clearance sticker. Scanning the game got me the 'not found in system' error as well. So I had the girl working in the electronics department price check it for me explaining the error I got on the scanner machine.

She played around with her scanner gun for a minute or so, and then told me it was $3.98. My jaw hit the floor at this point, and I asked her if I'd have any trouble with it ringing up for that price up front. She was cool and wrote a note for the cashier on how to ring it up. So on the way to the registers I grabbed the other two. After some cashier confusion in spite of the note, I got all 3 for $3.98 a pop.

This was the Target at Spring Meadows in Toledo/Holland Ohio.

Two are up for trade. If interested drop me a PM. Thanks for the heads up on this deal!

schnuth

Holy smokes. I was just at Target this afternoon and they had Pirates on the shelf but marked for $50. With no clearance tag I didn't bother to have it scanned.

At least I picked up Battlefield Vietnam for five dollars.

The Washington Square store in Tigard, OR is all out. Judging by the way the guy sounded on the phone it sounded like they'd been clearenced out for some time. oh well. It's not like I need any new games to play anyway, but I've got a friend who's dying for it.

Edit: I also called the Beaverton target and they've been out for a couple weeks too. The Portland-Metro area is just Pirates dry it seems.

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Holy smokes. I was just at Target this afternoon and they had Pirates on the shelf but marked for $50. With no clearance tag I didn't bother to have it scanned.

At least I picked up Battlefield Vietnam for five dollars.[/QUOTE]

damn you!!

I checked two today and one had it for 10 and the other 13. I did pick up far cry for 10 so I guess I should not complain too much

Checked out my local Target, and found one copy of Pirates. It wasn't marked with the usual clearance tag, but had an "As-Is" label for $4.96. Needless to say, it was quickly purchased.

Same story as previously reported. The one at my Target didn't ring up for any price and I don't think they ever found one, so I ended up getting it for $4.99. Most Targets will probably give this away pretty cheap, it's just a matter of what price your cashier decides to make up for it.

I went to Target in Rochester, NY for this game this morning. I grabbed it and also Battlefield Vietnam for 4.98. The cashier in front said it wouldn't scan, and asked if I knew how much it was supposed to be. I said I didn't know, so he just rang it up for the same price of 4.98 as Battlefield Vietnam and sent me on my way. So it seems that people are mostly at the mercy of the store employees on this one.

If someone can grab an extra let me know. Maybe we can do a trade or something. I can go back at the end of the week and see if there are still copies of BV for $5.

This is of course VERY YMMV.
I also just got back from target in SE Tennessee. I took the game to the register to pay and it came up unknown. They called someone to look up the UPC and they also showed it not in the system. I also had Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault which was 7.48 with me, so the lady said "thats normally what they clearance games to, so do you want this one for 7.48?"
I was like YEAH!!!

So, Pirates 7.48
Medal of honor Pacific Assault (DVD Version) - 7.48

Happy Hunting!!

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']If someone can grab an extra let me know. Maybe we can do a trade or something. I can go back at the end of the week and see if there are still copies of BV for $5.[/QUOTE]

Same goes for me as well, i'd be happy to pay Cost + Shipping + A little extra for your trouble if someone is able to grab a few extra copies.

An old co-worker of mine was raving about this game for a month or so before it came out, and was ranting about it after finally getting to play it, so i'm curious to see what he was so excited about.

EDIT: Hang on a sec, Casey, you found it for 10 today? Was it one of the Targets on Capital by chance? If so i'll go there tomorrow and hope they still have it left. Or are you talking about Battlefield Vietnam?

serious YMMV on this one. I went to two targets in Richmond, VA. both had it. both it did not come up when they scanned. both cashiers went to find the ticket on the shelf (which said 49.99), scanned it, typed in some number, and both told me it was not on clearence and it was $49.99. bogus, maybe i'm unlucky when I pick which register to check out at.

i would appreciate if someone can post when this thing is ringing up correctly since one of the targets is really close.

I tried to get one, but to no avail. No price came up at the register, so they looked up what they referred to as "the item number." (Please place both hands in the air and wiggle your fingers in a mysterious way when you read "the item number." It makes it much more enjoyable.) They typed said "item number" into the computer and a $49.99 appeared. 'Twas very disappointing.

went to my local target today, but they were all out of pirates. can someone direct me to the post that lists the other target clearence games? thanks.

[quote name='Ronz']Same goes for me as well, i'd be happy to pay Cost + Shipping + A little extra for your trouble if someone is able to grab a few extra copies.

An old co-worker of mine was raving about this game for a month or so before it came out, and was ranting about it after finally getting to play it, so i'm curious to see what he was so excited about.

EDIT: Hang on a sec, Casey, you found it for 10 today? Was it one of the Targets on Capital by chance? If so i'll go there tomorrow and hope they still have it left. Or are you talking about Battlefield Vietnam?[/QUOTE]

I was talking about BF:V.

the Target by TTC has two copies and the one near green rd. has one. If my friend is working tomorrow I may see if he can hook me up at the one near Greend Rd.

I went just right now (in santa cruz county, CA) and scanned the game. It came up with no price, so I took it to a register. The guy scanned it and the price didn't come up so he said the price is what's on the sticker where the games were which was the normal 49.99. So I went to another cash register and she scanned it. I told her it was on clearance and she went to the back (probably to ask the manager), she came back and I got it for $6.86. ^_^

When it doesn't show up in the system find someone with a Hand Scanner to check it. I once got a Xbox game although from the reviews it appears to be crappy one for only 1.64 this way.

Same problem here in Houston. Guy couldn't get to scan on the register or the price gun. He ended up writting down the number off the price tag below the games and it came up 50 bucks. I'm gonna go back tomorrow and see if I just came at a bad time.

Sorry for the n00b question, but what does YMMV stand for? Thanks.

[quote name='cycophuk']Same problem here in Houston. Guy couldn't get to scan on the register or the price gun. He ended up writting down the number off the price tag below the games and it came up 50 bucks. I'm gonna go back tomorrow and see if I just came at a bad time.

Sorry for the n00b question, but what does YMMV stand for? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary.

For when a deal might work on one area and not another. Or other such non-certainty with the deal.

YMMV stands for your mileage may vary, and basically means the deal is not universal and you may or may not be able to get it.

I went to five targets in my town today. Scored twice, could have gone for more, but didn't want to be a hog :)

Store #1: Did not ring up under any item. Went to front lanes, asked about price, they sent someone back and checked the little $49.99 price beneath the item. I told them I found it in CDs all alone so I wasn't sure how much it was. I also told them it was clearance at other Targets for $12.50, but they said no go.

Store #2: Same thing, did not go for it after 30 minutes of scanning and frustration.

Store #3: All out of Pirates.

Store #4: Seemed to be all out of it, but I'm so glad I asked a passing stocker. He said "Oh yeah, we have one copy left, something must have been wrong with it." He then took me to a little media clearance section around the CD Players where they had one copy of it for $7.46 "AS IS Marked down from $39.99" (weird ... $39.99). I looked at the slightly bruised box, took it up the front and bought it. The last and only one in the store and the only one I had seen all that day was actually clearanced.

Store #5: Stopped on the way home and found 4 or so copies of Pirates. All were $49.99 and "item could not be found" as usual. Shopped around for a cute little beach tumbler with a crab on it with my girlfriend and decided to run back to my car to get the winning $7.46 receipt. Took all my items up the front lanes and crossed my fingers. It wasn't in the database, but I asked them if the product was giving them problems. I told them it was doing the same thing at the other Target I went to and showed them my winning receipt with "201020000 ENTERTAINMEN FT $7.46" on it. I told them I got the last one at the other store, wanted to get another one for my girlfriend, and it was giving the other store pricing problems. They said okay and gave me a brand new, mint condition copy of the game at $7.46.

I recommend this tactic if you find one real cheap and want more copies. It was VERY YMMV here in Tucson, AZ. Thanks for the great deal though, I look forward to playing this game!

I just played this game from 9PM-2:15AM, way to go guys!

I'm #4 Pirate and I have 2 pieces of the map to find my sister :)

Got this last night at the Target in Homestead, PA for $4.96.

I asked the electronics clerk how much it was, since it wasn't showing up when I used the customer scanner, and I'd heard it was on clearance. When he (very nice guy) scanned it, it didn't show up at all, and he looked suprised about it. I said something like "I heard it was $4.96 for some people online." And he just repeated that he can't find it in the system, and asked if it was on the clearance shelf (it wasn't). I asked if he could sell it to me, and he said "you saw it for $4.96? ok."

Again, he was very nice about it. I want to highlight this, since we're pretty quick to complain about retail employees but not as quick to praise when we have a good experience...

There are 2 copies left on the shelf, if anyone else wants to try. I also saw Far Cry, but didn't scan it.

I feel a little bad, since the actual price that someone mentioned in this thread was $4.99 or $4.98, and other people are mentioning $10-$12, but at the time, I had that price in my head after reading this thread...

Thanks OP!

bread's done
Back