Silent Hill on PSN

steve_k

CAGiversary!
Before anyone attacks me for this, I first want to acknowledge this is old news and that I have been out of the CAG loop for a while,

With that established..........

Silent Hill is such a great Playstation game and a no-brainer for the Playstation Network. I already have the game on an original Playstation disc, so I will not be paying for the upload. My question, though, is how did Sony decide on the $5.99 price?

Tomb Raider, which is by no means scarce and easily obtainable, was given a $10 price tag. Resident Evil: Directors Cut is still pretty easy to find, but was also given a $10 price tag. Silent Hill, on the other hand, is one of those games that no one wants to let go of and commands ridiculous prices on Ebay. Sony has decided to tag the elusive Silent Hill with a $6 download fee (no complaints, it's a great bargain).

Does Sony pull prices out of a hat when uploading new PS1 games to the network? Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was completely justified by a $10 price tag. Metal Gear Solid also deserved the $10 price to a lesser extent. But why did Tomb Raider get a $10 price, and why did Silent Hill only get a $6 price?

No complaints, by the way - just curiosity!

i was wondering that too im glad it was 5.99 and heres to hoping if they release re 2 and 3 they will also be 5.99.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']$5.99 is the standard price for PS1 games. They'll make it $9.99 for top tier games they think people will pay $10 for.[/QUOTE]

That's my point exactly. Silent Hill sells on ebay for $30+ (very consevative estimate) while just about every other game sells for less (with exceptions, of course), so why would Sony not think people would be willing to pay $10 for a Silent Hill download? This is the game everyone wants, but cannot get ahold of.

Even in brick-and-mortar video game (small mom and pop) stores, Silent Hill on PS1 usually has a hefty price tag. This game has a high demand.

Because they don't think it's worthy of that higher price. It doesn't have anything to do with resale pricing. I don't know why anybody would make a big deal about the game not costing more than it does.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Because they don't think it's worthy of that higher price. It doesn't have anything to do with resale pricing. I don't know why anybody would make a big deal about the game not costing more than it does.[/QUOTE]

I was just curious and wanted to know if anyone else had the same quesion I did. It's just one of the many ways to determine whether or not I'm weird. If I make a statement and everyone agrees, maybe I'm not so weird. If I make a statement and everyone is baffled, maybe I'm a weirdo.

I had a physical copy of this game about 2 years ago, but since I hadn't played it in forever I got rid of it.

I just saw this on the store a couple of days ago and I may download it for $6, since I want to play through it again.

I wonder if they included the alternate ending with the UFO. That shit was hilarious.

As to pricing for these games, I have no friggin' idea how they do it, but they need someone to price most of the shit on PSN ALOT cheaper. Paying $10-15 for a download is ridiculous.

They're probably roughly basing it off of the game sales.

IE Silent Hill was a greatest hits game, but Tomb Raider's popularity was off the charts. It's the difference between Angelina Jolie and whoever played the mother in that Silent Hill movie.

It's more of a reinterpretation. I wish they would make this game with the Homecoming or Silent Hill 2 engine.

Are the controls any better on PSN than they are on the PS1? I know that's a silly question but I figured the PS1 version was taxing the console it was on.

For what you pay for PSone classics. It is a better value than what Nintendo is charging for there downloadable NES, SNES, and N64 games.

[quote name='willardhaven']It's more of a reinterpretation. I wish they would make this game with the Homecoming or Silent Hill 2 engine.

Are the controls any better on PSN than they are on the PS1? I know that's a silly question but I figured the PS1 version was taxing the console it was on.[/QUOTE]

Controls seem to be pretty much the same. Just stick with the D-pad and you'll be ok.

I just beat this game. There are some small emulation issues, one of them is the final boss & ending.

If you're fighting the boss for the good ending, if you use the rifle it will cause the audio to stop working and you will not hear anything for the entire ending. If you use the handgun in the fight it can cause the same or also cause the game to emit a loud continuous annoying sound. However, this was all resolved when using the shotgun, even after the other issues, the shotgun will revert everything back to normal. So make sure to use it for the final shot.

The only other known emulation issues I found were that in some cutscenes sometimes the audio does not show up for one word phrases utterred by characters.

This was my first time playing SH1 other than playing a demo back in 1999 that I must say now was a crappy demo. The plot and dialogue is a bit confusing so I read a little of one of the plot FAQs over at gamefaqs and it shows that the story is not as simple as I imagined and is quite excellent. Even the small touches. Here's one:

Question: What's up with the sirens in this game?

The sirens were probably the last thing Alessa heard, and the
transition between her life as a normal child and her "life" as a
fractured mind trapped in her own nightmares. So now they mark
the transition between the misty, real town and the nightmare
version of the town, playing every time Harry shifts between them.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/file/198641/28331

bread's done
Back