Silicon Cover DS Lite by HORI

dmunkee

CAGiversary!
Well, this is my first review on CAG (my first review ever for that matter), so I figured I'd share my thoughts on HORI's silicon cover for the DS Lite. I myself have a white silicon cover, but for this review, I'll be using my girlfriend's black one since it'll be easier to see on my white DS.

Now first and foremost, unlike a lot of other silicon protectors available to the DS Lite, the Hori silicon cover doesn't have that familiar, rubbery feel that so many of us despise. Instead, the Hori cover has more of a silky smooth feel to it, very nice I must say. Also unlike your standard silicon, the Hori cover doesn't seem to attract dust and lint as much, and certainly nothing that can't be brushed away with your hand anyway.

The cover itself is made up of two pieces (top and bottom) connected by two straps:

b9c26ace.jpg

Installation is painfully easy, just slip the bottom half of the Lite in first, there are two small tabs located on the top of the bottom portion that go into the wrist strap holes of the Lite, helping to secure the lite in place even more. Then simply pull the top portion over the display half and thats that.

8769cd6d.jpg

You have access to various switches and the stylus slot just fine, and what I like (others might not) is that it covers the both the L/R buttons from your cheeto fingers which I imagine is something white lite owners would like. Pretty much, the only portion that isn't covered is the hinge section for obvious reasons.

c1c61e8d.jpg

Now for the gripes, while they don't bother me much, they can for others so I'll make a quick mention of those.

When the lite is open, the two straps on the back loop out, which you probably won't notice playing normal DS games but you will when playing Brain Age or Hotel Dusk. It didn't bother me, but it did bother my girlfriend so it may or may not bother you. Another thing is that the DS itself doesn't close all the way, a very small gap is present but hard to notice, so its kind of hard to tell in the picture:

021c3233.jpg

Again, this is something that didn't bother me, but I know it would bother others. Since I've had it on, nothing has creeped into the DS that wouldn't normally, but I figured I'd mention it.

As with a lot of DS protectors, it might fit weird inside certain cases or pouches, here is a quick compatibility list of the Hori Silicon Cover with other Hori products from their website. It actually does fit inside the multi-pouch, but you just need to mind the straps on the back of the cover, other wise it fits just fine. Also, since the wrist strap holes are used by the cover, wrist straps or anyting that plugs into it can't be used.

All in all, I'd say this is a very good protector for the DS, and certainly the best silicon cover on the market. The size and functions of the handheld aren't compromised at all, and while some may not like the negatives, I can easily recommend the Silicon Cover DS Lite.

As of this writing, all colors are in stock at play-asia and it comes in white, black, pink, light green, and light blue.
Well, thanks for reading. Any questions, comments, or critiques are welcome :).

Nice review. Regarding that loop out, thats normal when you have the DS open. Only thing to do to avoid that is to cut the straps off. From the looks of it, the silicon itself will still hold in place but may slip off since the strap is no longer holding the two silicons together.

I know that is isn't available in-store anywhere, but I believe that a few domestic sites that happen to sell imports do have these. ncsx.com for example, though they might not have all of the colors in stock. Thats all that comes to mind though.

My question is, can you see through the skin? Cause I have a HORI protector on the lid of my DS, and over time it got bubbles. So yeah...

Hi everyone..
I bought new Ds lite console last week and i need some solid skin cover on it. So could anyone here please suggest me some websites providing nice ds lite skin covers .

ds lite skin covers

bread's done
Back