Silver Slim PS2s are back in stock at most B&M Stores

xghostsniperx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
Still $129.99, unfortunately. But for anyone who isn't looking to slap down the $160+ on eBay for one, this is a good deal.

After talking with a few friends from other states, it seems like this is a nationwide thing. Most Best Buys, Targets, and a few other retail stores have Silver Slim PS2s in again. I wouldn't bother trying GS/EB though.

EDIT: I've been notified that these supposedly have some compatibility problems with a few games. I looked it over, and besides a few sound issues in RE2, there's really nothing to worry about. Here's the link anyways:

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/659/659949p1.html

[quote name='-Never4ever-']not a deal.[/quote]

People used to post when PS3s were in stock. Why can't I post when an obviously large shipment of a highly sought item arrived at most stores?

If it's not a deal, all the mods have to do is move it.

[quote name='luffy_kun']i find it sad/funny that these sell better than ps3s... aaa the allure of guitar hero[/QUOTE]

If I was someone who didn't own a PS2 or PS3 (I only have PS2), I would chose the PS2 for $129 over the $499 or $599 for a PS3. Less than 1/4 the price, a huge library of games and tons of cheap games compared to the $40+ games for PS3

[quote name='CitizenB']I didn't know these were hard to find as I've seen them at local gamestores.[/quote]

I believe they were released a few months before the PS3 launch-- Sony's last little push on the PS2. By Christmas, most B&M retailers were sold out until now. Supposedly, these are "Limited Edition" but with the new shipment it remains to be seen how limited they actually are.

Can anyone confirm if CC got some of these? My ps2 sort of crapped out and I need to order a new part to fix it, I was already thinking about using the $40 off $200 coupon there for a ps2.

[quote name='freshzen']Can anyone confirm if CC got some of these? My ps2 sort of crapped out and I need to order a new part to fix it, I was already thinking about using the $40 off $200 coupon there for a ps2.[/quote]

I just checked my product locator of the stores near me, and none of the three got any.

I would say you'd be best off at Target or Best Buy. I realize you want to use that coupon, but who knows what will be going on with CC since they're closing quite a few stores...

I think it's only 7 stores in the US, and like 62 in Canada. There is almost no way any of the Circuit City stores around Denver will close down :)

[quote name='Legendary Gokou']This is interesting. I had managed to obtain one prior to Christmas, but I could really use the money by selling it if they go for that much on eBay. Hmm ...[/quote]

didn't gamestop.com have these available for awhile a couple of weeks ago? didn't know they were that big of a deal.

Word of warning to CAGS:

The silver PStwo slim in Japan had compatability issues with some PS1/PS2 games and in the US, it wasn't so much them not playing games because of that problem, but because they were DYING quickly.

I have witnessed a silver PStwo my one buddies sister owns not wanting to read a game when he started the system up one night. He had to put it back in 'sleep' mode and then restart it.

So, buyer beware on this version of the slim PStwo, as Sony STILL hasn't fixed ALL the bugs with their last gen machine.

As for the silver PStwo, it doesn't hold my interest at all. Then again, I have a slim black PStwo which I've played maybe 10 times since buying it a year plus ago. I just have too much fun playing my Xbox and all its great games. That's not to say that I didn't enjoy my time with my 39001 PS2, as I played the HELL out of it with Vice City.

Just be careful my fellow CAGs, as Sony's PS2 WAS the focus of a lawsuit over their known problems. Buy that extra 2 year warranty because you never know when an 'oops' moment may occur.

[quote name='charlestgarcia']never :( sony is not gonna drop the price on something that still sells...[/quote] Yup, especially with the losses they take for each PS3.

[quote name='vherub']Does anyone recall when the price dropped to $129?
Just wondering how long until another pricedrop comes along[/quote]

It was in late April of 2006. I'm sure you can Google it and find the exact date, but I'm positive it was in April that it was lowered.

CAGs above have already mentioned it, but I highly doubt a PS2 price drop is coming soon. PS2s are still selling really well, and with the losses Sony is taking on the PS3, I wouldn't bet on a price drop anytime soon.

What other Psone games don't work on the sliver slim Pstwo?

That's terrible to hear that the silver one is having problems. I would have thought by now Sony could have fixed all the problems or at least improved on the black slim with the release of the silver one.

Still though it would be nice to have a silver one as a collector's piece and waiting for a pricedrop!

lol,my Fat 2004 PS2 still works fine....I actually want the skinny one but don't really need it...I'm waiting for my PS2 to not work anymore

never :( sony is not gonna drop the price on something that still sells...

Well, "never" is not true, but I wouldn't count on this calendar year. I imagine the next slash will be to the $99.99 pricepoint, but in addition to the PS2 still selling and being a somewhat vital console in 2007, making it even cheaper would undercut their own floundering PS3 even more. Despite what their PR figures claim, I'm convinced we'll see a PS3 price drop by the Fall, and that PS2 reduction about a year from now, when the software for it has all but ground to a halt (save the Seanbaby games).

Those of you convinced otherwise based on precedents (that clearly are semi-relevant at best right now), please feel free to systematically deconstruct my half-assed guessing. You...'win'.

I bought one today, $140.xx after tax. My modded black slim line took a dive the other day and I can't wait for parts to be delivered I needed a console this weekend haha

[quote name='snakelda']lol,my Fat 2004 PS2 still works fine....I actually want the skinny one but don't really need it...I'm waiting for my PS2 to not work anymore[/quote]

haha i was thinking the exact same thing. i love the silver look. i kinda wish my fatty would die so i had an excuse to buy one of these =)

[quote name='redline']So will the PS2 hit $50 like the PSOne eventually did? I might get one at that price.[/quote]

Eventually? Definitely. It'll hit $99, or maybe even $79 first, but after that it's pretty much up to the store to sell the rest off. I doubt they'll be an "official" price point below $99 or $79, though stores will probably clear them out at lower prices if PS3 really kicks into gear.

ok, I couldn't find the missing pricedrop puzzle pieces

PS
Sept 95 $299
May 96 $199
Mar 97 $150
May 02 $50

PS2
Oct 2000 $299
May 02 $199
May 03 $180
May 04 $150
April 06 $129

Based on vherub's guide I would think PS2 will be $100 in spring 08, and then possibly $80 a year later...I don't really see the point in waiting though.

I got rid of my 60 gig PS3 a few days ago because there just wasn't anything worth having it for (that wasn't already on my 360), and picked up a silver PS2 today instead. I realized that all the good games are on the PS2 still, and the 3was just a $600 brick on my entertainment center if I wasn't using it, and I couldn't justify having spent the $$ on the 3 when I would just play PS2 games. Anyway, I really like the silver PS2, and just ordered a silver Sony memory card to match.

Is it wrong of me to consider taking the PStwo I just bought last week back in and trying to get a silver one?

I'm only half-serious there, as I like the black console. But there is something appealing about the silver one...

[quote name='heybtbm']The silver Sony memory cards were never released in the US. They were only released in Japan and Europe. Check ebay...that's where I got mine. I picked up a silver Logitech wireless controller too from Lik-Sang, before they went out of business...

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/9474/silverps2boq0.jpg[/quote]
Logitech makes their awesome ps2 wireless controller in silver? fuck yes, I was holding back because I didnt think they did. Where did you get that?

damn, I want these PS2s to come in stock. I'm trying to cash in my warranty at BB and apparently the stores in my town have been sold out of PS2s for 2 months :shock:

[quote name='PlumeNoir']Is it wrong of me to consider taking the PStwo I just bought last week back in and trying to get a silver one?

I'm only half-serious there, as I like the black console. But there is something appealing about the silver one...[/QUOTE]

only if you're catholic.

[quote name='nharmon91']Logitech makes their awesome ps2 wireless controller in silver? fuck yes, I was holding back because I didnt think they did. Where did you get that?[/quote] Bumping for an answer

[quote name='luffy_kun']i find it sad/funny that these sell better than ps3s... aaa the allure of guitar hero[/QUOTE]
I don't know why someone would find a system that is roughly 4X cheaper, with 6.5 years worth of hundreds of game titles available, selling more than the PS3, funny.

But that's... just me. :bouncy:

[quote name='nharmon91']Logitech makes their awesome ps2 wireless controller in silver? fuck yes, I was holding back because I didnt think they did. Where did you get that?[/QUOTE]

And as you quoted, "The silver Sony memory cards were never released in the US. They were only released in Japan and Europe. Check ebay...that's where I got mine. I picked up a silver Logitech wireless controller too from Lik-Sang, before they went out of business..."

So I dunno, I mean, I'm not him or anything, but I'd guess that he picked up his silver Logitech wireless controller [too] from Lik-Sang, before they went out of business. [...]

[quote name='diaeresis']And as you quoted, "The silver Sony memory cards were never released in the US. They were only released in Japan and Europe. Check ebay...that's where I got mine. I picked up a silver Logitech wireless controller too from Lik-Sang, before they went out of business..."

So I dunno, I mean, I'm not him or anything, but I'd guess that he picked up his silver Logitech wireless controller [too] from Lik-Sang, before they went out of business. [...][/QUOTE]

Yeah, I thought it was obvious so I didn't reply.

To clarify:

I bought the silver Logitech controller at Lik-Sang (before they went out of business). Without a doubt the Logitech wireless is superior to the 1st party Sony controller in every aspect. I'm thinking of picking up a third one before they disappear at retail in the US. Black and white are the only two colors I've seen at stores.

[quote name='heybtbm']Yeah, I thought it was obvious so I didn't reply.

To clarify:

I bought the silver Logitech controller at Lik-Sang (before they went out of business). Without a doubt the Logitech wireless is superior to the 1st party Sony controller in every aspect. I'm thinking of picking up a third one before they disappear at retail in the US. Black and white are the only two colors I've seen at stores.[/quote]
Play-Asia has some silver ones.

bread's done
Back