Simpler FPS suggestions... for my mother.

palejackal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I'm a gamer, I play FPSes, and all that jazz, but I'm curious what you people think is the best 'simple' FPS out there. She used to enjoy Doom and Descent. I've got CoD4, Crysis, Half-Life 2, etc. but I think those all might be more complex than she's looking for (even on Easy), for now at least.

I never played Serious Sam, and I'm not even sure how old it is, but it might fit the bill.

So any suggestions for newer Doom or Descent style games, where there's not too much thinking involved... and hopefully improved graphics? Hmmm, maybe F.E.A.R. (well, she might not want a 'scary' game) or Doom 3 would do the trick.

Thanks for any help.

I think Half-Life 2 is a good choice, it's not exactly like Doom but it has a really interesting plot and is relatively linear, she shouldn't have too much difficulty getting through it.

Serious Sam is awesome. Get the Serious Sam Gold collection, if you can, it has the first game and Second Edition, which was sort of an expansion. I heard Serious Sam 2 wasn't as good.

Half Life should be pretty good. It's a bit more complex than Doom (never played Descent) but it's simple to control and play.

Then she can go on to HL2.

Frontlines:Fuel of War.
It has some steep graphics requirements, but its level design is very straightfoward. They have sniper levels, remote control helicopter and tank action, vehicle combat, a little of everything.
IMO it's very underrated and incredibly fun.

Frontlines: Fuel of War is a good choice. Personally I hated that game (because its was too simple and generic for me) but I think it would be good for her.
The Metroid Prime series would be good (especially the third one) - but thats only of course if you have a GC/Wii and don't mind the puzzle aspect of the game.

EDIT:
now that I think about it Metroid Prime wouldn't be a good choice - some of those puzzles were really a bitch to figure out

The counter strike for Xbox was very simple and fun

My girlfriend likes the Ghost Recon games because they are simple but at the same time you can make them complex maybe those will suffice

[quote name='Vinny']Half Life should be pretty good. It's a bit more complex than Doom (never played Descent) but it's simple to control and play.

Then she can go on to HL2.[/QUOTE]
This. Serious Sam and Doom 3 would be good choices too. Serious Sam is pretty much just loads and loads of guys thrown at you and you have to slaughter them all. It also has a great coop mode. Doom 3 is also pretty easy to play. FEAR is a hard game to control IMO (you have to deal with a zoom button to improve your accuracy, leaning, and slow motion).

Thanks for all the suggestions, though more are appreciated. I just installed Half Life 1, since I recalled I still had the CD. I've got Doom 3 and FEAR as well, so maybe I'll install HL2 and Doom 3 once I buy my friend's 8600GT for cheap.

I was talking about PC titles, since while I have a 360, I think the controller learning curve for any system would be a turn off.

Half-Life 1 might be tough on mom. It starts off easy enough but towards the end you have to babystep through it manipulating saves. Kill an enemy, save, kill another enemy but lost too much health and ammo, restart, killed him with no health lost, save.

Definitely agree with the Painkiller or Serious Sam suggestions -- those are straight forward shooters, that align themselves very well with Doom.

Others that she might enjoy include -

No One Lives Forever 1 & 2 -- she can play as a female protaganist, in this 1960s spy spoof shooter
Star Trek: Elite Forces 1 & 2 -- go into the Trek Universe and blow everything up.
Sin Episodes -- The game adjusts to your level of play, dynamicly I believe - so it would be challenging but not to challenging
XIII -- David Duchovny voiced, cell shaded shooter, if I remember correctly, no super challenging puzzles, but an interesting story.

Quake Wars is a pretty simple FPS. Prey is pretty straight forward as well. It's simple without being completely mindless. There's also Halo/Halo 2.

Try to find FPS that do not look up and down. That seesm to get my Father in Law all the time.

So Serious Sam (I dont think you could ook up or down). Is probably your best start.

Otherwise its retro BlakeStone, Duke Nukem, etc.

As ever, thanks for the suggestions.

[quote name='Snake2715']Try to find FPS that do not look up and down. That seesm to get my Father in Law all the time.[/quote]

That's something I'm worried about, but my mother did play Descent which is a 3d space shooter, except it's in confined spaces, so she may be able to manage it.

I don't think Quake Wars, BF series or Frontlines: FUel of War would be good choices. They're centered on open sandbox experience and have multiple objectives that must be completed on the fly.

Maybe something more linear?

I think Deus Ex 1 or 2 could be right for her considering they're slower in pace and can be achieved in many ways, some of them simpler.

I think Serious Sam is the best choice here. It is pretty straight forward, the enemies come in waves and there are tons of them. There are codes for unlimited ammo and probably unlock all weapons (I can't remember) that should make it a bit easier just to play through. The maps are big with long viewing distances and some of the bosses are huge but not with the puzzle quality to the bosses in Painkiller. Pretty much just shoot it until its dead. The sense of humor is a bit juvenile but at least it has a sense of humor.
Serious Sam is the most fun I've had with any Co-op FPS (have hopes for Left4 Dead but we'll see) so that is the preferred way to play.
In reference to the previous page Serious Sam does allow you to look up and down but if she can handle descent which I found disorienting, this should be no problem especially if playing with a mouse.
I'd probably avoid multiplayer non-co-op games as they tend to be a little unforgiving towards novices. Also I try to avoid games with stealth levels as they tend to be more frustrating than straight forward FPS games.

Well my top recommendation would be Return to Castle Wolfenstein since it plays almost like the original Doom and is made by the guys who made Doom.

My second choice would be Serious Sam or Painkiller. Painkiller is very alike to Serious Sam. Sam has a more cartoony feel while Painkiller is a more realistic look to it. It's up to you.

I'm a bit late on playing this game, but I just started playing no one lives forever and think it's probably the most accessible fps for a female who isn't into all that blood and guts or military stuff.

Funny storyline, female protagonist, fun shooter - it has it all. Plus its pretty cheap and easy on the graphics card while still looking fairly detailed with bright realistic environments. Tons of different weapons and fun spy gadgets. check out some gameplay on youtube and you can see if it's something she might like. - I recommend the tricycle chase.

There are 3 games to the series if she ends up liking the first one. No One Lives Forever, Contract J.A.C.K., and No One Lives Forever 2.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']I'm a bit late on playing this game, but I just started playing no one lives forever and think it's probably the most accessible fps for a female who isn't into all that blood and guts or military stuff.

Funny storyline, female protagonist, fun shooter - it has it all. Plus its pretty cheap and easy on the graphics card while still looking fairly detailed with bright realistic environments. Tons of different weapons and fun spy gadgets. check out some gameplay on youtube and you can see if it's something she might like. - I recommend the tricycle chase.

There are 3 games to the series if she ends up liking the first one. No One Lives Forever, Contract J.A.C.K., and No One Lives Forever 2.[/QUOTE]

Definitely agree with the NOLF and NOLF 2 references, but Contract J.A.C.K was not nearly as funny or fun. I would recommend avoiding it.

bread's done
Back