Sin and Punishment: Star Successor - GS Pre-order bonuses - June 27th

Cao Cao

CAGiversary!
Nintendo finally announced a US release date for Sin and Punishment 2 at their conference, and they uploaded a trailer that shows the localized version and the English dub voices.

* Sin and Punishment: Star Successor, the breakthrough shooter game for Wii from legendary developer Treasure, will launch across North America on June 7. The game features nonstop action with two playable characters and international online leaderboards to track high scores. Using the Wii Remote pointer functionality, the game offers unprecedented precision in the shooter genre.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/62273.html

GameStop has some pre-order bonuses available:
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=75107
A 500 Nintendo Point card for all pre-orders, and a poster for online pre-orders.

Still nothing from Amazon yet:
http://www.amazon.com/Sin-Punishment-Star-Successor-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B002EE7OKE/

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Josh5890']I've always been on the edge with picking up the first one on the VC, now I think I will.[/QUOTE]

Easily one of the best VC titles, and perhaps one of the best digital titles on the service overall. Granted, it is VERY difficult (being a Treasure game) and the premise is overwhelmingly arcade in nature, but it's just too damn awesome for words.

If you play the second level and don't find it exhilarating, you should give up gaming altogether.

As for this new installment, looks excellent. And since Nintendo doesn't seem keen on another proper console Starfox, I'll take this in the meantime.

[quote name='LostRoad']Am I misunderstanding Cao Caos quote that S&P2 will only use the Wii mote and not the nunchuck as well?[/QUOTE]

The WM/NC scheme is the default, but it was confirmed a while back that the game would also support the Zapper, Classic Controller, and GameCube controller.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sin_and_Punishment_2

Seriously? I just always imagined there would be a co-op option. That would have been so fun, and also made the game a little "easier" for the "casual" crowd.

Anyone know how long this game is? Loved the original but I don't wanna spend $50 on a 3 hr game. Although I will be buying this at some point.

The allegedly final boxart wass posted over at GAF.

sin-punishment-star-successor-us-bo.jpg

I have to admit the trailers on the Nintendo channel has me sold.

Too bad my Wii backlog is several games deep, and this will be a $20 game in less than 4 months.

Gotta have that poster, just gotta.

Also, yeah, pretty sure the game will drop like crazy seeing how short it is. So if not for those pre-order bonuses I probably wouldn't have even given it a second thought. I'm sure the game is "rad"... but $50 really is kind of pricey for a supposedly 6 hour game. And yet.... I really want to support Treasure.

Not sure what to make of this yet. However I find it pretty awesome how you can basically use any type of controller for this game.

I've only played about 3 stages, but I'm damn glad I picked this up. If you liked the original, you'll like this. Though the option to use other controls is nice, I've been sticking with the Remote/Nunchuk option and it's been great.

It may be a short game, but you'll enjoy it. Plus, even on normal, it's not a game that pulls any punches. I've managed to not die on only one stage thus far.

Moving on from gameplay discussion... though it's a niche title, I was a bit taken aback to find out that my GS only got 2 copies. No pre-orders, just straight up two copies.

Yea, being a major Nintendo release, you'd think they'd get more copies. I see Best Buy and Target have it in their ad.

I pre-ordered online and picked up in store, but didn't get the poster.

Played through the first 2 stages and I've died a couple of times on easy. The control scheme cramps your hands on the classic controller. I'll try the nunchuck next time I play.

[quote name='2DMention']
[/QUOTE]

Usually with gamestop's online only bonuses you have to get the item shipped to you.
Hopefully my copy will be going out early tomorrow.

[quote name='2DMention']Yea, being a major Nintendo release, you'd think they'd get more copies. I see Best Buy and Target have it in their ad.

Played through the first 2 stages and I've died a couple of times on easy. The control scheme cramps your hands on the classic controller. I'll try the nunchuck next time I play.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, even if you're used to playing the original on the VC, I'd really recommend the Wiimote set-up first and foremost. To me, it's like the difference between RE4 and RE4 Wii Edition... both are playable, but one just feels so much better.

And, this may be semantics, but I really don't think this is a 'major' Nintendo release in NA. It'll appeal to the crowd on here, but the fanbase is limited. Shit, I realize it's only Sunday, but I was 450 on the US Overall leaderboard, and I only beat 3 stages. I was 52 on the first stage leaderboard. Flying off the shelves this is not. :lol: Even with good word of mouth, I think this is destined to remain a niche title, which is a shame.

This game feels like I just took a step onto dog droppings barefoot. It feels like shit between my toes.

This might just be because of the Wiimote and nunchuck controls, and I might need to pick up a Classic Controller Pro to play this game. But holy balls, this game is shitty.

Good luck keeping a steady hand without first locking onto your enemies to send projectiles their way because you've got to keep your cursor over them while tapping the B button. Easier said than done.

Good luck flying around while aiming and knowing what the fuck you're doing. It's so disorienting. There's a reason the aircraft carrier level worked so well in the first game, and while your jetpack abilities try to recreate the magic of that level in every level of this sequel, it just makes everything a disorienting mess. Keeping you going left and right only in the first game helped so much.

I can hardly ever get the lock-on to work the first time I press it. I can do it no problem in the original. It is a crapshoot in this game. And why do you need to lock on every time? (Might only be Isa's problem, I haven't tried Kachi.) In the first game, you remained in lock on mode until you pressed the button to end it. You could lock instantly lock on to the next enemy you wanted to. Not in this game.

What the hell is up with everything being all colorful and feminine? The first game was delightfully drab with a gritty graphical style. Isa looks like a girl! Just like every other anime thing going on these days! And why am I fighting intergalactic sperm in the second level? It looks like that episode of Family Guy where Stewie tries to kill all of Peter's sperm but without the funny.

The music is... decent so far.

Holy shit at that round dragon thing that you fight in the cylinder. This fight suffers from what I like to call Iridion 3D effect. Your perspective of the big rapid fire circular laser beams is totally impossible! I'm always up for a challenge, but when your perspective causes you to wonder what the fuck you're doing until you die, there's a problem there!

I can't believe I spent another $50 on another shitty game. I swear, I have more fun with games I get from the cheapass deals I get on Steam! And those aren't puny fly by night indie productions, either! They make Sin and Punishment 2 look like a baby's toy!

I'm going to give the Classic Controller a try with this game. If it fails to live up to my expectations, I'm through. I love the first game way too much to let this shallow and pedantic sequel tarnish my image of it.

Well... I can see that I'm not quite as big a fan of the first one of you, but I really haven't experienced ANY of the control issues or problems you describe. I admit, the characters look a bit off (reminds me of Dark Crystal), but the gameplay is solid.

I'm not saying it's "OMG BEST GAME EVER", but I don't think it deserves anywhere near the damning review you gave it. I'm not even trying to make it seem like nothing, I just literally have had zero of the problems you had with the controls.

[quote name='Strell']I'm getting really tired of hearing about Chuplayer's sexual fetishes.[/QUOTE]

Oh eat me.

Anyway, I was just reminded of something more similar to the round dragon boss fight than Iridion 3D. It's the special stages from Sonic Advance 1. How everything's coming at you and the camera's stuck behind you, and you've got to fit into a tight space and not hit the stuff around you all from that horrid perspective. It's terrible.

At least in Star Fox and Star Fox 64 which have a similar perspective, nothing's coming at you nearly as fast, and there's usually much more room to navigate, and those games are awesome!

For anyone on the fence, I wanted to throw out there that the K-Mart rep has been teasing of an awesome deal on this next week, and he'll reveal it sometime this week.

So I just played a bunch more. I think I've got more of a hang of it than I did before, but that doesn't mean it's any less shitty.

Apparently you're supposed to spam the dash button. That must be why they gave it its own button in this game. It is not humanly possible to beat the game without spamming a split second of invincibility over and over again. I feel like I'm spamming Blanka's electrocution move. It's cheap, but in this game, it's necessary, and it's stupid.

On top of all that, the Wii nunchuck makes my wrist hurt so fucking much that I can't stand playing it for more than half an hour. The thing is so fucking small and so fucking gimmicky that it has no place in the world of video games. Not even playing with the Atari 7800 joystick gave me such carpal-tunnel inducing strain as this stupid accessory. I hope there are class action lawsuits because the thing can't be healthy.

I'd better get a classic controller pro before I use this game as a skateboard and then trade it back to GameStop which is where it belongs!

[quote name='Chuplayer']
On top of all that, the Wii nunchuck makes my wrist hurt so fucking much that I can't stand playing it for more than half an hour. [/QUOTE]

You think that's bad, wait till you play it on the Classic Controller. You use every button and it f's up your wrist really bad.

[quote name='2DMention']You think that's bad, wait till you play it on the Classic Controller. You use every button and it f's up your wrist really bad.[/QUOTE]

At least for the Wiimote and nunchuck, it gave you almost complete control over what did what. I think I can map out a setup similar to what the N64 version was like.

Yeah, sean's right -- chu be crazy.

I posted impressions of the game over in the GGT, but I'll repost them here!

As for how it is... this is my favorite kind of game. It is as hardcore as action games come and it wastes minimal time on bullshit like story or gameplay tutorials. Frankly, I'm surprised Nintendo even brought the game to the States, because Sin & Punishment more or less tells casual players to go fuck their faces. But anyway, The game is just fucking awesome. There's constant bullets, enemies, and explosions all over the place, to the point where it feels far more like a shmup than an on-rails shooter. It's one of the few action games I've played in the last few years that's genuinely exciting, and that's due in large part to the challenge level being so perfect. It starts out pretty easy, but around the third or fourth stage, you realize that your relationship with the game has turned into:

Me: "But S&P, I shit from there!"
S&P: "Not right now, you don't!"

The difficulty ramps up gradually enough and gets your blood a'boilin' while avoiding frustration. I yelled "fuck" a few times and called the main character a cunt around 5-6 times, but it was the good kind of profane language. The kind of profane language you use when you're playing something that's the coolest, most exhilarating goddamn thing you've played in like forever. This is a game for men. After you play it, you'll feel like you should eat steak and potatoes for dinner and put a cigarette out on a bitch's forehead.

One thing I was kinda worried about before picking up the game was that Treasure has a nasty habit of overcomplicating their games. I mean, I like stuff like Ikaruga and Gunstar Heroes a lot, but those games have way too much complexity for their own damn good. I feel like the devs. really nailed it with S&P 2, though, because there are just enough nuances to make the gameplay feel fully-realized, but there's not so much shit going on that the game plays like a mess.

So basically, is it worth buying? Hell fucking yes. I don't care that it's 10:30 at night -- if you like action games and you're not a complete dyke, get your ass to the goddamn store and buy this fucker.

So I got to the air fortress level. At first I thought it wouldn't be that bad because it sounded like the aircraft carrier level. While it was disappointing to see the game try to recreate the magic of the first game in such a cheap way, how bad could it be if it was recreating that awesome series of events?

It could be bad. Real baaaaaaaad. Instead of it being a high flying action level, it recreates the most annoying level of the first game: the sidescrolling level. Seriously, that was the worst part of the first game, and it only gets worse in the sequel with the Wiimote. What once was an annoying exercise in aiming at enemies in the original game now becomes a genuinely fucked up exercise in futility. Aiming makes no sense in this level. It just doesn't. I hate it. I really do.

Why would they bring back the worst part of the original game? Holy shit! What a disappointment!

[quote name='snipegod']I'm waiting for Chu to trade this in to my local EB.[/quote]

Where the hell are you?

[quote name='2DMention']I'm stuck on the mission 3 boss chic with the sword. Any strategies on beating her?[/QUOTE]

This is actually where I stopped the other day. I tried it about 6 times, decided to come back to it. A lot of my problem is that the rest of the game sort of conditions you to be impatient, whereas this seems to require the opposite. That was my take on it, anyway. Haven't had a chance to get back to it just yet.

[quote name='62t']so classic control or wiimote?[/QUOTE]

My opinion, wiimote all the way.

[quote name='2DMention']I'm stuck on the mission 3 boss chic with the sword. Any strategies on beating her?[/QUOTE]

When that skank dashes at you with her sword, you should dash away a little bit, but also tap B when she's near you so you can deflect her. She'll be bounced back a little bit and you'll be out of harms way. Then, try and get close to her and knock her ass out.

I wasn't going to get this until I played it in Gamestop the other day. It was easy to pick up and play but hooked me right away. I might just start by downloading part 1 on the Virtual Console. 49.99 is a hefty price tag for any game really.

bread's done
Back