Sin City Topic... NO SPOILERS!!!

[quote name='Wshakspear']...I'm still waiting for someone to come in and complain...and that hasn't happened yet.

Even with the good comic movies people bitch, but so far, not Sin City. We've sold quite a few of the trades, and a lot of people who are just hyped to hear Miller wanting to make a Hartigan prequel comic.[/QUOTE]

well, i thought it was alright, possibly mediocre. i felt the only thing the movie really had going for it was the visual presentation, which was the only reason i went to see it. for the most part the dialogue seemed forced. There were a few memorable scenes, like the ride that featured the dead benecio del toro.

i'm glad i saw the movie, but i don't want to see it again.

*flame away!*

This movie was flat out amazing. I wanted to see it again immediately after leaving the theater. I bought a shirt and poster right outside the movie.

Hell, it was good enough for me to change my avatar and sig from the badass that was Kiriyama.

Comic City in Novi,MI has plenty of Sin City vol 1 and most of the 5 so far released in the new format....and we have the Art of Sin City, a coaster set, and some magnet sets :)

Just saying :)

Marv is the fucking man, and Kevin is one freaky sum'bitch. This is by far one of my favorite movies....ever.

"Take away his weapons.......... both of them."
-Hartigan

70ko.jpg

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']I got that same Sin City Poster, I just need to put it up somewhere.[/QUOTE]

It really says something about Marv's badassitude that I picked that poster over the two Jessica Alba ones. :lol:

[quote name='ElfAngel7']
Also, Alba not stripping really stood out in the movie like a sore thumb. Come on, you're in a part of town with 3/4 naked whores standing on the corners and with most likely a dozen different nudie bars around the town, you're telling me that they'll come to watch a girl that wouldn't take it off?
[/QUOTE]

Hmmm...are you talking about the guys in the movie or the guys who went to watch the movie. When I read this I thought it was hilarious.

I'm thinking the character that Alba plays is suppose to be that alluring. In the real world, there's a ton of unmentionable stuff on the internet but guys still go out to watch real actresses at the movies.

[quote name='jngx80']I'm thinking the character that Alba plays is suppose to be that alluring. In the real world, there's a ton of unmentionable stuff on the internet but guys still go out to watch real actresses at the movies.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. The fact that she won't strip is what makes her appealing. Where's the satisfaction in knowing you'll get something? It's only the unattainable that people desire. So, naturally, everyone gravitates to sweet ol' Nancy, who'll never give them what they want. That way, they can keep on wanting.

I don't even know where to look for a poster around here. Hopefully Sam Goody or another B&M will have it.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Personally, I thought Clive Owen's character (I forgot his name) was cooler. Marv sure was fun to watch, though.[/QUOTE]

It was a bit easier to identify with Dwight, other than the near invulnerable Marv.

But I still think Marv rocked.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']It was a bit easier to identify with Dwight, other than the near invulnerable Marv.

But I still think Marv rocked.[/QUOTE]

Bingo. And the fact that he had ROSARIO motherfuckin' DAWSON hanging all over him all the time didn't hurt either.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Bingo. And the fact that he had Vivica Fox hanging all over him all the time didn't hurt either.[/QUOTE]

Rosario Dawson?

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Bingo. And the fact that he had Vivica Fox hanging all over him all the time didn't hurt either.[/QUOTE]

Ahem, Gail was Rosario Dawson.

But yea, that didn't hurt :wink:.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Ahem, Gail was Rosario Dawson.

But yea, that didn't hurt :wink:.[/QUOTE]

I swear, I can't seem to get anything right these days.

[quote name='Ledhed']Exactly. The fact that she won't strip is what makes her appealing. Where's the satisfaction in knowing you'll get something? It's only the unattainable that people desire. So, naturally, everyone gravitates to sweet ol' Nancy, who'll never give them what they want. That way, they can keep on wanting.[/QUOTE]

deep stuff, i love that psychological philosophy posting, yeah, im hoping to look into that movie, especially after these great reviews

[quote name='Ozzkev55']deep stuff, i love that psychological philosophy posting, yeah, im hoping to look into that movie, especially after these great reviews[/QUOTE]

Keep in mind that only applies to the movie as well. In the comic, she strips bare. But, the rules still apply: noone can touch her, lest they'd like Marv touching them soon to follow. So, in a sense, she's still unattainable, perhaps even more so since everyone actually sees what they're missing.

Also, WOW. "A Dame to Kill For" is a totally seperate Dwight story. Lots of links between characters that are barely expressed in the movies.

[quote name='Ledhed']
Also, WOW. "A Dame to Kill For" is a totally seperate Dwight story. Lots of links between characters that are barely expressed in the movies.[/QUOTE]

It's kind of like a prequel so I can see why they didn't include the story in the film, I actually heard they planned like 4 or 5 stories for the film but decided against it in the end because of length.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']It's kind of like a prequel so I can see why they didn't include the story in the film, I actually heard they planned like 4 or 5 stories for the film but decided against it in the end because of length.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it definitely didn't need to be in the film. It was nice to see some more backstory for Dwight though, who seems to me as being the least developed "main" character in the movie. Who knows, maybe he'll use the rest of the stories for another movie. This one seemed to perform well, so it seems only natural.

[quote name='Ledhed']Exactly. The fact that she won't strip is what makes her appealing. Where's the satisfaction in knowing you'll get something? It's only the unattainable that people desire. So, naturally, everyone gravitates to sweet ol' Nancy, who'll never give them what they want. That way, they can keep on wanting.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, I'm pretty sure it's more complicated then that.

I don't think it's the "nudity factor", but the "playboy factor". They build the character up, give her a backstory, and your basic attraction is no longer merely physical.

[quote name='camoor']Hmmm, I'm pretty sure it's more complicated then that.

I don't think it's the "nudity factor", but the "playboy factor". They build the character up, give her a backstory, and your basic attraction is no longer merely physical.[/QUOTE]

If you're talking in terms of us, the readers, then yes. But I was referring to the point that someone made about how all the men in Sin City would rather watch Nancy not show anything at all as opposed to visiting any number of prostitutes. I doubt the men who sit and watch Nancy in the books/movie care much for her background.

Perhaps we're all reading a bit too far into this. :lol:

bread's done
Back