Single Parent family

cgpwns

CAGiversary!
Well since my parents are getting divorced on my sisters birthday (next week) because he slept with another woman and is unhappy with us, I thought I'd make a poll. I don't want him to leave, especially with all the surgeries I still have to get and the physical therapy. I don't hate him, but it wasn't right what he did to my mother or to the rest of the family. He lied to us for a long time.

Anyways I'm curious to see how many of you are single parents or are children of single parents (no, not some sort of offspring of an asexual being!!).

Sorry to hear that. I am happily married and I would never cheat on my wife so I guess I fall into poll option #4.

I'm sorry to hear about your family problems. I also am from a broken home too (my Dad was shacking up with another woman at the time my parents got divorced).

The route I took was to stay away from the Family drama; I moved out and headed far away from them (I moved to another state). It helped clear out bitter feelings in my head and also it helped me grow as a person.

Two parent family, I'm not married. Though since I've was about 10 I haven't been able to figure out why my parents don't get divorced. It's not a glaring thing like cheating (that I know of) or abuse, it's just there seems to be nothing there. Not a good marriage.

I think the hardest part will be to make sure that your father's behavior doesn't affect your future relationships with women. Sadly, I see many more people who cheat on their boyfriend/girlfriend or even spouse who come from a broken home such as yours vs. those who didn't. Stay strong.

I've been happily married for 15 yrs but I grew up in a single parent home. Promised myself not to do the same mistake to my kids my parent made to me.

My parents got divorced many years ago when I was ten. My mother was cheating on my father and she still won't admit it. The funny thing is my dad harbors no ill will towards her but she takes every chance she gets to bash the hell out of him.

[quote name='UnderwaterMadman']The funny thing is my dad harbors no ill will towards her but she takes every chance she gets to bash the hell out of him.[/QUOTE]

Isn't it great how some family members seem to dedicate their lives to making other family members unhappy? It's like they get some sort of sick pleasure out of hurting and defaming their own relatives. (Not that I'd know anything about that. . .) :D

[quote name='cgpwns']Well since my parents are getting divorced on my sisters birthday (next week) because he slept with another woman and is unhappy with us, I thought I'd make a poll. I don't want him to leave, especially with all the surgeries I still have to get and the physical therapy. I don't hate him, but it wasn't right what he did to my mother or to the rest of the family. He lied to us for a long time.

Anyways I'm curious to see how many of you are single parents or are children of single parents (no, not some sort of offspring of an asexual being!!).[/QUOTE]

First off, a little of my background: my parents got divorced when I was twelve, and I'm twenty-eight now. There was nothing like cheating going on, but it was pretty clear that things just weren't working out -- even as a twelve-year-old, when my dad broke the news, my first reaction was "It's about time."

Now for the advice: you don't deserve one iota of responsibility for what's happening. As much as it will obviously affect you, it's 100% fully and completely an issue that begins and ends with your mom and dad. This is NOT -- repeat, NOT -- happening because your dad "is unhappy with you." That's an excuse, and a cowardly way out. Maybe your dad's actions were understandable; maybe they weren't: that's for you to decide, in time. But that line above should read "my parents are getting divorced next week because he slept with another woman, PERIOD." Any notion that it in any way had anything to do with you should be put out of your head right now.

As one of the above posters said, as soon as you can get it, some physical and emotional distance will do you a world of good.

[quote name='Quackzilla']Those kind of "Happy Birthday" gifts are sick.

Parents getting divorced on a childs birthday is horrible.[/QUOTE]

Damn, every year, she has to remember that shit.

Well my dad is home from work and outside in the yard doing something he hasn't said anything to me since he got in. I had today off work, so I was home all day. My dad told my mom when he got home that he isn't going anywhere, and she said he's just trying to keep her from suing his girlfriend. They aren't getting along at all, my mom is putting words in his mouth and he is still lying too. I don't know how things will turn out now (he has less than a week to decide if they will do marriage counceling), but I'm just going to worry about my own problems for now, which shouldn't be too hard since I got plenty. I don't think he dislikes me or my sister, he just wants a different life style I guess?

On the plus side I still got my scholarship (I almost lost it due to credit hours, but I had medical reasons), so that pays for all of my tuition, and I get to get out of work in a few weeks for my first time doing jury duty (which I heard you get paid for too).

[quote name='cgpwns']Well my dad is home from work and outside in the yard doing something he hasn't said anything to me since he got in. I had today off work, so I was home all day. My dad told my mom when he got home that he isn't going anywhere, and she said he's just trying to keep her from suing his girlfriend. They aren't getting along at all, my mom is putting words in his mouth and he is still lying too. I don't know how things will turn out now (he has less than a week to decide if they will do marriage counceling), but I'm just going to worry about my own problems for now, which shouldn't be too hard since I got plenty. I don't think he dislikes me or my sister, he just wants a different life style I guess?

On the plus side I still got my scholarship (I almost lost it due to credit hours, but I had medical reasons), so that pays for all of my tuition, and I get to get out of work in a few weeks for my first time doing jury duty (which I heard you get paid for too).[/QUOTE]
That's really the best thing you can do, just worry about yourself and whatever you have going on. Realize that your parents are just people like you or me, and just because they're your "parents" doesn't mean that they're perfect. People cheat, people get into fights, people get divorced. That doesn't have anything to do with you, and you shouldn't concern yourself with it.

Don't feel obligated to side with your parents, or to even care about what they do in regards to their relationship. They'll do what they're going to do, and it's none of your worry now. You've gotten what you needed from them already (food/shelter), and you'll be moving out and away soon.

Try to get out more than you normally would've, stay away from the house.

[quote name='cgpwns']Well my dad is home from work and outside in the yard doing something he hasn't said anything to me since he got in. I had today off work, so I was home all day. My dad told my mom when he got home that he isn't going anywhere, and she said he's just trying to keep her from suing his girlfriend. They aren't getting along at all, my mom is putting words in his mouth and he is still lying too. I don't know how things will turn out now (he has less than a week to decide if they will do marriage counceling), but I'm just going to worry about my own problems for now, which shouldn't be too hard since I got plenty. I don't think he dislikes me or my sister, he just wants a different life style I guess?

On the plus side I still got my scholarship (I almost lost it due to credit hours, but I had medical reasons), so that pays for all of my tuition, and I get to get out of work in a few weeks for my first time doing jury duty (which I heard you get paid for too).[/QUOTE]

Are you just home for the summer? You're not commuting to college, are you? If so, if you can, get some college loans to live by the campus (unless your sister is younger than you, then she might need you right now). There doesn't sound like there's anything constructive going on at your parent's house.

bread's done
Back