SingStar PS3 - General Discussion & Info - SingStar Dance now available ...

[quote name='evergoo']Little Richard - Tutti Frutti[/quote]
This, alone, makes up for all the rest of the crap.

Well, no, it doesn't, but still - a womp bomp a lu bop a womp bam boom! :applause:

[quote name='evergoo']Mark Ronson feat. Daniel Merriweather - Stop Me
[/QUOTE]
Sadly I think this is as close to a Morrissey song as we will ever get.

Don't get me wrong I love Tutti Frutti as much as any other guy ... or i guess more? but anyway the point is I'm not sure anyone besides Little Richard can sing that.[quote name='fuss']if Singstar Disney worked on my PS3[/quote]I don't understand how this doesn't happen. If SingStar Disney worked.. it would be a whole new ball game. Heck I might consider buying a BC PS3 just so I wouldn't have to swap.

P.S. just got Rocks and Legends.. I just need PopV2 and I think I'll have all the PS2 SS I need.

[quote name='evergoo']

George Baker Selection - Little Green Bag
[/QUOTE]

-Gotta get my Reservoir Dogs on.

[quote name='evergoo']

Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan - Especially For You
[/QUOTE]

- Takes me back to high school. Kylie still sounded like an Aussie and Jason Donovan was yet to become Buzz. Good times.

Bad news, it appears all patches and everything were pushed back a week. My guess is that one sector of SCE (who approves patches) denied it due to finding an issue.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Bad news, it appears all patches and everything were pushed back a week. My guess is that one sector of SCE (who approves patches) denied it due to finding an issue.[/quote]

Oh well; I'd rather them delay and get it right than release with bugs.

Can anyone recommend any of the PS2 discs if the only disc I own now is Singstar V1 on the PS3?

I don't recognize half of these artists in the singstore, which is kind of surprising to a degree.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Can anyone recommend any of the PS2 discs if the only disc I own now is Singstar V1 on the PS3?

I don't recognize half of these artists in the singstore, which is kind of surprising to a degree.[/quote]

The SingStore pretty much sucks. Period.

As for other PS2/PS3 discs, use this wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SingStar_titles#PlayStation_2

Just make sure you're looking at NA PS2 discs, PS3 games are region-free of course if you're keen on importing.

[quote name='mtxbass1']
I don't recognize half of these artists in the singstore, which is kind of surprising to a degree.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='bornrunnin31']The SingStore pretty much sucks. Period.
[/QUOTE]That's because of the following reasons:
-No UMG songs in the SingStore. There never will be. Anyway UMG artists people want to see in the SingStore, it will never happen, period (I know you know this, but this is something everyone should know).

-Warner Music Group is now on hold, when it comes to bringing music digitally (whether its SingStar, Rock Band, etc.).

-Due to SingStar sticking to the fixed $1.49 pricing, the latest or more popular artists are not happy with that. They feel their music is worth more than songs by artists people either don't know well or older songs. The amount SingStar songs would have to cost is $1.99 or up (allow for variable pricing) to please artists. This is what holds up UMG from ever supporting SingStore (too much proof about it) and it's why some Sony BMG artists aren't even in the store. If SingStar songs were cover and/or lacked music videos, they could have gotten away with the $1.49 pricetag.

-SingStore is intended for a global audience, no doubt. When you look at the songs in each update, at least 80% of them have charted in the year they debuted. However, it's like some debut towards the top in the U.K., Australia, or NA. Due to SingStar having its biggest popularity in Australia and the U.K., that explains why its artists may be more skewed to those regions. If each SingStore was heavily region specific where SCEA had to deal with artists for the U.S. Store, SCE Aus. dealing with Australia, etc., we'd probably see artists people are more familiar with. Although they try to go global, not all licensing is. Some popular songs which may perform better in the U.S. (such as Heaven is a place on Earth, YMCA, etc.), are distributed by UMG in NA, and since UMG has not agreed to support the SingStore, SCEE London cannot put their music on the U.S. Store. One time, there was a mistake where the Scorpions "Rock You Like A Hurricane" showed up (which UMG had the rights to in NA), and it ended up getting removed because of that.

-Partially, EMI is one of the bigger companies putting music on the SingStore. They are a company who is just happy people want to use their music. Since they are based in Europe, most of their music does come from Europe.

So when you remove the most popular company (UMG) who owns the entire Motown backlog, most rap/hip-hop, and most current hits from every appearing in the SingStore, that's a lot. While WMG isn't as big, they still have the rights to Madonna, Metallica, etc. While Sony BMG may have AC/DC, they are exclusive to RB. Some might think that licensing Sony BMG music would be easy since it says Sony, because it's no easier for SCEE London than Harmonix to license their music. Sony's divisions all operate separately, where its even been said some of them have tried to sue one another before.

What does help discs releases in a way is a few things (which is why the artists are usually good):
-It's actually cheaper/less complicated to licenses artists for discs. Artists can be paid various amounts to have their music on a disc, unless a fixed price like the SingStore. UMG, WMG, Sony BMG, EMI, etc. all support discs.

-Every disc is region specific. They will put songs on each disc to cater to each region. Songs which Europe knows but the U.S. doesn't, isn't likely to appear on a U.S. disc (and that's one reason the U.S. has to wait for their SingStar games).

In other news, SingStar Queen officially confirmed for NA and the patch:
April 16, 2009 - Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) today announced the upcoming North American release of SingStar Queen for the PLAYSTATION 3 (PS3) and PlayStation 2 computer entertainment systems. Available as a standalone disc on August 18, 2009 SingStar Queen marks the franchise's second foray into artist specific content, providing fans with the ultimate interactive singing experience set to the rock hits of Queen.

SingStar Queen for the PS3 system features 25 chart-topping tracks from the iconic pop-rock group including, 'Another One Bites the Dust', 'We Are The Champions', 'Bohemian Rhapsody', 'Under Pressure' and many more. With SingStar Queen for the PS3 system, players have additional access to a catalog of hundreds of downloadable songs featuring real artists and videos, via the PS3 online SingStore. Players can choose songs across multiple genres to create their own personalized party playlists. Providing a truly interactive singing experience, players can share their musical performances with family and friends via the online SingStar community, My SingStar Online.

SingStar Queen for the PS3 system will come equipped with a new voice control menu which will enable players to scroll through the song carousel and select the track they'd like to sing by simply speaking into the microphone. Players can additionally use the voice control menu to search for and purchase songs through the SingStore. The new feature set will be available early next week via a global patch release and will be compatible with all SingStar PS3 discs. In addition to voice control, the patch provides support for over 30 trophies including 'Super Singer Gold', 'Keep it Cool' and 'All Eyes on You', quick song purchase functionality and an enhanced redesign of the SingStore and My SingStar Online.

The SingStar franchise continues to expand its growing PS2 music library with the addition of SingStar Queen for the PS2 system which features 20 popular hits including, 'Crazy Little Thing Called Love', 'Bohemian Rhapsody', 'We Will Rock You','Fat Bottomed Girls' and more.
Members of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Queen formed in 1971, and over the ensuing 20 years wrote and recorded such multi-platinum albums as News of the World, The Game, A Night at the Opera, A Day At The Races, A Kind of Magic and Live Killers. Their timeless hits include "Bohemian Rhapsody," "Killer Queen," "We Will Rock You," "We are the Champions" and "Under Pressure." Queen has sold more than 40 million albums in the United States and bands like Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Green Day and My Chemical Romance have all cited Queen as a major musical influence.

The independent Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) has rated SingStar Queen for PS2 "T" for Teen. For more information about the ESRB visit www.esrb.org.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/973/973642p1.html

[quote name='bornrunnin31']The SingStore pretty much sucks. Period.

As for other PS2/PS3 discs, use this wikipedia page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SingStar_titles#PlayStation_2

Just make sure you're looking at NA PS2 discs, PS3 games are region-free of course if you're keen on importing.[/quote]

Thx man. I finally got around to opening Singstar tonight and now I'm craving even more music.

I've never given much thought to how hard it is to sing some of these songs until I tried doing it myself. Pretty funny how that works actually.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Thx man. I finally got around to opening Singstar tonight and now I'm craving even more music.

I've never given much thought to how hard it is to sing some of these songs until I tried doing it myself. Pretty funny how that works actually.[/QUOTE]It's a fun game, I really like it. You can buy PS2 discs at Sears on clearance at times. Personally, my two most recommended discs by far are SingStar 80's and 90's (90's being my favorite disc ever). All PS2 discs play in any PS3 SKU (even ones without PS2 BC), but you need a PS3 SingStar copy (which you already have).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']It's a fun game, I really like it. You can buy PS2 discs at Sears on clearance at times. Personally, my two most recommended discs by far are SingStar 80's and 90's (90's being my favorite disc ever). All PS2 discs play in any PS3 SKU (even ones without PS2 BC), but you need a PS3 SingStar copy (which you already have).[/QUOTE]

Does it just run the disc so the songs are accessable ? Or does it let you use the songs in the PS3 game ?
Please describe the PS2 game disc experience .

[quote name='Richlough']Does it just run the disc so the songs are accessable ? Or does it let you use the songs in the PS3 game ?
Please describe the PS2 game disc experience .[/quote]
You start the game using the PS3 disc.
You press a button at the song select screen.
The game "pauses" telling you to insert a Singstar disc.
You put a PS2 disc in.
The game reads the disc and replaces the original disc's songs with the new disc's songs in the song select menu.

You're running the PS3 software, so the interface is the same.

[quote name='mguiddy']So the patch is voice commands and adding one set of trophies for all PS3 Singstar games?[/QUOTE]

Think so. That and a GUI overhaul, at least the online portion I think I read.

The PS2 discs have the music videos and all that right? Originally I was doing practice and thought it was just okay, but then I was playing single player and saw how it tracks if you sing on key or not (sorta). Are the other PS2 versions just like that?

[quote name='mtxbass1']The PS2 discs have the music videos and all that right? Originally I was doing practice and thought it was just okay, but then I was playing single player and saw how it tracks if you sing on key or not (sorta). Are the other PS2 versions just like that?[/quote]
Yes.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Well, looks like I know what I'm going to look for on the cheap this weekend then...[/QUOTE]

Don't forget the 20% PS2 coupon from EB/GS this week!

[quote name='mtxbass1']Can anyone recommend any of the PS2 discs if the only disc I own now is Singstar V1 on the PS3?

I don't recognize half of these artists in the singstore, which is kind of surprising to a degree.[/QUOTE]

my favorites are 80's and Rocks. i didn't care for the 90's disc, since the songs that i was excited about were too hard to sing. i must've overestimated my singing skills!

i think i've only bought like 5-10 songs in the singstore. like bornrunnin said, there's an awful lot of crap in there.

For $10, I'd pick it up. I only like a few of their songs, though, like Mamma Mia and Dancing Queen. I'm sure you'll grow fond of their other songs.

As Bornrunnin' said earlier, SingStar Queen is awesome! Most of the tracks are recognizable to anyone and Queen songs are just pure fun to sing. :D

[quote name='evergoo']For $10, I'd pick it up. I only like a few of their songs, though, like Mamma Mia and Dancing Queen. I'm sure you'll grow fond of their other songs.

As Bornrunnin' said earlier, SingStar Queen is awesome! Most of the tracks are recognizable to anyone and Queen songs are just pure fun to sing. :D[/quote]

I'm so tempted, but I only know 2-3 of their songs.

I ended up picking up Singstar 80's and Singstar Pop today for $9.98 each at Toys R US. They had Singstar 90's, but it had the mics with it for $19.98. They also had Singstar Legends for $9.98, but I only saw 1-2 songs that were interesting. I was hoping for Singstar 90's or Country by itself, but no luck.

[quote name='mtxbass1']I'm so tempted, but I only know 2-3 of their songs.

I ended up picking up Singstar 80's and Singstar Pop today for $9.98 each at Toys R US. They had Singstar 90's, but it had the mics with it for $19.98. They also had Singstar Legends for $9.98, but I only saw 1-2 songs that were interesting. I was hoping for Singstar 90's or Country by itself, but no luck.[/quote]
The Country bundle is on clearance at Sears. I got mine for $15, but I think it's been seen at $10 now.
I also saw it's supposed to be $10 at Best Buy starting tomorrow.

Abba and Vol. 2 is also supposed to be $10 at Best Buy too.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mguiddy']The Country bundle is on clearance at Sears. I got mine for $15, but I think it's been seen at $10 now.
I also saw it's supposed to be $10 at Best Buy starting tomorrow.

Abba and Vol. 2 is also supposed to be $10 at Best Buy too.[/quote]

No luck at my sears.

I heard that Best Buy sale was a bust so far. Right?

[quote name='mtxbass1']
I heard that Best Buy sale was a bust so far. Right?[/quote]
I don't know. I wasn't following the thread (I just happened to glance in it last night) and haven't been in a Best Buy in... 3-4 years.

just got the Queen disc in the mail. w00t! i'll be firing it up tonight when i get home from work.

thanks for the heads up on the PS2 discs at TRU. hopefully that wasn't just a sale they had last week. i'd like to pick up the Legends disc even though i bought a handful of the songs on it from the singstore already.

Patch is up, at least when using the Queen version, not sure if it activates with USA SingStars.

Edit: Voice Control won't be available until the 22nd though.

[quote name='bendeco45']just got the Queen disc in the mail. w00t! i'll be firing it up tonight when i get home from work.

thanks for the heads up on the PS2 discs at TRU. hopefully that wasn't just a sale they had last week. i'd like to pick up the Legends disc even though i bought a handful of the songs on it from the singstore already.[/quote]

They are on clearance at TRU. It isn't a weekly sale.

Ladies and Ladies, the new SingStar patch is supposedly now live that along with other things brings trophy support and voice activated song selection.

Info here along with SingStar Queen info for the US.

Things I've noticed about the update:

- Includes Trophies
- Voice Control (preview is available in SingStore) will be ready on April 22
- Custom music is no longer available in Menu Music settings (boo!)

Wow. That's shitty about custom music. I found that "feature" the other day and thought it was cool. Why would they remove something like that?

How do you fix it when the song vocals are all washed out? I am not talking about YOUR vocals - but the real song vocals. Every so often you just can not hear the words they are singing. How do you fix this? I have tried exiting out of the game and going back with no luck. Its just on some songs - sometimes it happens, sometimes it does not.

10% off all games & accessories until midnight tonight on cdwow.us right now, so if you want an even better deal on imports - today is the day!

As for the vocal issue SoCalDude, I know there's an option for muting the song vocals (not exactly sure where). The feature works better on some songs than others for whatever reason. Did you find that in the options list?

Just throwing my two cents in here. I have never played Singstar, but will be ALL over Singstar Queen. That will be my gateway drug!

I really want them to release the wireless mics in the US as well. Don't really want to pay an arm and a leg to bring them over. Wish Queen was getting released here sooner!

[quote name='fuss']How do you fix it when the song vocals are all washed out? I am not talking about YOUR vocals - but the real song vocals. Every so often you just can not hear the words they are singing. How do you fix this? I have tried exiting out of the game and going back with no luck. Its just on some songs - sometimes it happens, sometimes it does not.[/quote]

Which songs are you having issues with?

[quote name='bornrunnin31']As for the vocal issue SoCalDude, I know there's an option for muting the song vocals (not exactly sure where). The feature works better on some songs than others for whatever reason. Did you find that in the options list?[/quote]
I have never looked for or used that option. Its random when it happens - strange. Is this a song-by-song option? I can not find this option.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Which songs are you having issues with?[/quote]
The one that comes to mind is "bad day" by Daniel Powter. My son loves to sing this song, and it would do this no matter what I tried the other night. But it does it for random songs at random times.

And a question about the PS2 Singstar -- will it work with the trophies? With the Country budle on sale for $10 next week at BBY... mmmm. I could get some new mics and sing me some Johnny Cash.

[quote name='bornrunnin31']10% off all games & accessories until midnight tonight on cdwow.us right now, so if you want an even better deal on imports - today is the day!
[/quote]

Bought it! :D
If I didn't bite on this, I probably wouldn't be able to play SingStar all summer, since both my wired mics are broken. And with the recent trophy patch, I just can't afford to let this opportunity pass me by. Thanks for the heads up. ;)

Options > Peripheral Settings > Microphone Settings > Vocal Reduction.

You want to turn Vocal Reduction to off if you want the song to be consistently at one volume. On keeps it muted the whole song, and my guess is that you have it to "fade out" which only mutes when someone is singing into the microphone.

Also, Voice Control patch it up right now according to SingStar Queen.
Options > Manage Content > Manage Extras to turn that on or off.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Wow. That's shitty about custom music. I found that "feature" the other day and thought it was cool. Why would they remove something like that?[/quote]

[quote name='evergoo']Things I've noticed about the update:

- Includes Trophies
- Voice Control (preview is available in SingStore) will be ready on April 22
- Custom music is no longer available in Menu Music settings (boo!)[/quote]

Custom music for the menu is available through the XMB. When you are in a menu, hit the PS button and choose your song.

[quote name='Oxygen']Custom music for the menu is available through the XMB. When you are in a menu, hit the PS button and choose your song.[/quote]

Still. Why remove a feature that was already in the game?

[quote name='mtxbass1']Still. Why remove a feature that was already in the game?[/quote]
I guess they wanted to rearrange things. I dunno why they could not have kept the other option as well.

I think people will complain about it enough and they'll eventually patch the custom music...one year later. ;)

I'm liking the Voice Control options. It should do well at parties where people are controller-phobes.

[quote name='evergoo']I think people will complain about it enough and they'll eventually patch the custom music...one year later. ;)

I'm liking the Voice Control options. It should do well at parties where people are controller-phobes.[/quote]
Yeah I am excited about the voice control. It will take a little getting used to, but I think it is a cool addition to the game.

bread's done
Back