Six Flags new mandatory locker policy, pay to use a locker for your stuff or no ride

[quote name='YoshiFan1']They are getting rid of them.

And to add to the lines issue, it doesn't help with Flashpass, the biggest scam of them all. For anyone that doesn't know, it allows you to pay extra to cut to the front of the line. $31 for 1 person, for regular, $71 for 1 person for gold (75% faster) for 2007 at Great Adventure. So those who refuse to get ripped of by using the system, and choose to wait in line even have to wait longer.[/QUOTE]

If you've got the money, those flash passes are worth every cent. A 90 minute line being reduced to a 22 minute line that you don't have to stand in is absolutely worth it. If you can't afford it, that's one thing, but don't shit on the people who can.

[quote name='zman73']I know this is an old topic, and the closest Six Flags near me (Six Flags over Georgia) still enforces this policy, but with a little planning it is not such a bad place to visit...

Id been avoiding the place for years hearing all sorts of bad things, but the allure of of a top ten rated B&M hyper coaster made me want to visit again, along with a few other rides suck as a B&M flying coaster. I know the recession is affecting them especially as they try to get out of bankruptcty... but seasons passes for 2010 were only $49.99 and allowed us admission for the rest of 09 free... seasons parking pass was $45... crazy, but Im allowed admission into any six flags park with this.

With 4 of us, being a hot day... foodwise, we ended up eating at an established chain Johnny Rockets and getting 4 burgers, fries, rings, and two souveneir cups which could be refilled for free all day for $40... not horrible, but Ive been going to Busch Gardens Va, Kings Dominion, and Water Country USA my whole life so Im used to high food pricing.

The locker policy is still in effect and sucks, but knowing which rides had them before I went (Goliath, Cyclone, Georgia Scorcher... only 3) made planning the trip a little easier... and it being a slow time of year combined with recent flooding... I got to ride on everything I wanted multiple times. I left mostly satisfied. Its still nowhere the park Busch is but the ten coasters they have made up partially for that

Six Flags really needs to improve their public image or they will not survive. Too many people have a horrible opinion of them. I still had a bad taste in my mouth over how they handles the New Orleans park, but thats another story[/QUOTE]

I've seen the flood damage on TV, but how bad is it really in the park? Is the entire park open or are sections blocked off? I used to go here once a year at least and I'm wondering what is damaged beyond repair...

[quote name='rickshankshaw']If you've got the money, those flash passes are worth every cent. A 90 minute line being reduced to a 22 minute line that you don't have to stand in is absolutely worth it. If you can't afford it, that's one thing, but don't shit on the people who can.[/QUOTE]

yoshifan isnt shitting on the people who can afford the flashpass. he or she is saying the people who can't afford the flashpass are getting shitted on even more by having to wait even longer.

[quote name='nativetongue88']yoshifan isnt shitting on the people who can afford the flashpass. he or she is saying the people who can't afford the flashpass are getting shitted on even more by having to wait even longer.[/QUOTE]

It's the same thing. If they can't afford it, don't bitch. I can and so I paid for it. If you can't afford a new game at a $60 price point, do you claim how unfair the game industry is? No. You shut up and wait for a price drop. Same principle here. Can't afford the flash pass? Shut up and wait in line.

It's a service I can afford to take advantage of and I did. He can't. His problem. Not mine. His entire gripe is that he can't afford the service so he has to wait longer. I say tough shit. The locker thing I can accept is bullshit. Not this. Not at all.

EIther way, if anyone can afford it, get the flashpass. You can ride every major coaster in the park at least twice. Maybe more if you're quick on your feet.

Once you've got the experience of all the coasters in your back pocket, never go back.

MTXbass1: all the coasters were up and running the weekend they reopened... I went the following weekend. I have to hand it to the crew there, other than the visible waterline on some trees and acouple coasters, you wouldn't be able to tell it was flooded. There were parts of lickskillet closed, Thomastown was closed off, and a couple rides like the skycoaster and wheelie.

Best part is there were no lines, Sunday morning I got in ten rides in a row on Goliath. Rode the Scream Machine (the coaster prominently featured as being flooded on the news) and you wouldn't be able to tell it was half underwater ten days or so earlier.

I'm gonna go back next year as I love thrill rides, and will try to hit a couple other locations this next year as well. I've been pretty lucky with the park being uncrowded the few times I've been this year, which to me are the only times they are worth visiting. Gonna try Cedar Point next year and try out the new 305' gigacoaster at Kings Dominion

[quote name='zman73']MTXbass1: all the coasters were up and running the weekend they reopened... I went the following weekend. I have to hand it to the crew there, other than the visible waterline on some trees and acouple coasters, you wouldn't be able to tell it was flooded. There were parts of lickskillet closed, Thomastown was closed off, and a couple rides like the skycoaster and wheelie.

Best part is there were no lines, Sunday morning I got in ten rides in a row on Goliath. Rode the Scream Machine (the coaster prominently featured as being flooded on the news) and you wouldn't be able to tell it was half underwater ten days or so earlier.
[/QUOTE]

I really wonder how that flood affected the Scream Machine's structural integrity. All of that water for a prolonged period of time can't be good for the wood. Interesting that everything was open for the most part though.

They have to recertify everything before they could run them again. What I've read on sfog's forums was they are prepared for these instances, most stations are well above ground. Scream machine and the other coasters are built to withstand such conditions. I'm sure the fact they use treated wood combined with layers and layers of paint helps too. They only had one train running, but probably because there was nobody there. If all theme park visits were this hassle free, I'd go alot more often.

[quote name='manthing']Here's an experience I had at Cedar Point a few years back...

This was the policy 3 years ago at Cedar Point for the larger rides: Millenium Force and Top Speed.

I was getting into line for Millenium when the kid checking rider height told me that my big souvenir cup *FULL OF SODA* wasn't allowed in the queue and it was park policy.

I was a bit stunned, and after 5 minutes of trying to get him to let me slide I exploded into the typical 'consumer rage'(long time customer, go out of my way to go to this park, blah, blah, blah)

I haven't been back to Cedar Point since, nor am I planning to go back at any time in the future, all for the want of a dollar...(well more like $8: $1 for the locker and $7 to replace my Diet Pepsi with a coupla 20 oz bottles in line:bomb:)

The real problem I see with this policy for Six Flags is the timed lockers. So many of the rides that this will be enforced at have >2 hour waits at peak times, that people will *REVOLT* if they have to leave lines to 'feed the meters'.

Maybe this will end up like the 'no readmission' thing Six Flags had a few years ago.

Overall, this won't affect me. After the ridiculous locker policy of the Six Flags Great America water park I experienced last year, I won't be going to any Six Flags parks anymore either.

Even though I've been enjoying riding the biggest/best roller coasters my whole life, I don't think I will be going back to any amusement parks for quite a while:cry:[/QUOTE]

I have to disagree with you as I was on the millenium last year and just as we dropped over the first hill my ex and I were drenched in some kind of liquid and it basically soured the ride for me thinking someone threw up and all I could think about was getting off and washing up. Turns out at the end of the ride, the girls in front of us had one of those huge ass tower cups full of sprite and the top burst off. Either way it was a pain to clean up and it sucked being drenched in something sticky.

[quote name='QiG']I have to disagree with you as I was on the millenium last year and just as we dropped over the first hill my ex and I were drenched in some kind of liquid and it basically soured the ride for me thinking someone threw up and all I could think about was getting off and washing up. Turns out at the end of the ride, the girls in front of us had one of those huge ass tower cups full of sprite and the top burst off. Either way it was a pain to clean up and it sucked being drenched in something sticky.[/QUOTE]

I was in no way endorsing bringing the large cup on the ride.

My problem lies with separate loading /unloading stations and the only option of storing forbidden items being before you get in line.

Even a place to put similar items before the train, while still allowing access during the lines would be an improvement over the 'nothing in line' policy they had then.

I personally think this locker thing is stupid. I live about 5 miles from Six Flags Great America, so I generally get a season pass. For years, they've been trying to squeeze money from customers. But I think I can finally say that it's coming to an end. This locker thing was dumb, but by me, it's not enforced as much as they say. Also, ever since Six Flags filed for bankruptcy, prices have been dropping. I got an email the other day saying I can buy a season pass for just $65, versus the old $100. Food prices also haven't been going up as much anymore. I think Six Flags has finally realized that they screwed their customers so hard that they're losing the customers. For next year, I expect even better prices and deals than last year. I also expect the lockers to be removed within 5 years. But I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

[quote name='JJSP']The best value at Disney is the $28 wheelchair rental. It's a front-of-the-line pass on just about every ride there, and $20 comes back to you when you return the chair. Am I a heartless bastard? Probably.

[/QUOTE]

While I wouldn't rent a wheelchair just to do this, I've always told myself, if I ever get sick or injured so I have to use a wheelchair, the first place I'm going to is Disneyland.

But as for Six Flags...

I'm glad this topic has come up.

I'm going to Six Flags Magic Mountain (southern California) in a couple weeks. I'm taking my husband there as an anniversary present. I'm of mixed feelings about this.

My personal opinion...Six Flags has some great rides, but other than that, the park sucks. Last time I went to Six Flags, the park was filthy, parking was expensive, and the food...if you think the food is bad, imagine having a medical condition where you have to watch what you eat. On my last visit we had to leave the park to find food because there was nothing I could eat at the time. It was in the off season and the only restaurants open in the park were fast food type of places...even if I could eat the food they served, I absolutely refuse to pay $10 for a McDonald's "value meal". I also would have killed...excuse me, PAID for a Flashpass back then, but they didnt offer them.

And the pay for lockers...what a shitty idea. That park used to have free cubbyholes next to each ride loading area. I'll keep this in mind before I go. I'm probably going to get a pair of cargo pants with closeable pockets to put my stuff in just so I don't have to deal with the locker situation. As for Flashpass...I might just buy them so we can get through that park as quickly as possible. Six Flags in southern Cali is only open on the weekends during the off season, so there are ALWAYS crowds with long lines, and I'm only going to have one day to visit the park.

[quote name='Spacepest']While I wouldn't rent a wheelchair just to do this, I've always told myself, if I ever get sick or injured so I have to use a wheelchair, the first place I'm going to is Disneyland.

But as for Six Flags...

I'm glad this topic has come up.

I'm going to Six Flags Magic Mountain (southern California) in a couple weeks. I'm taking my husband there as an anniversary present. I'm of mixed feelings about this.

My personal opinion...Six Flags has some great rides, but other than that, the park sucks. Last time I went to Six Flags, the park was filthy, parking was expensive, and the food...if you think the food is bad, imagine having a medical condition where you have to watch what you eat. On my last visit we had to leave the park to find food because there was nothing I could eat at the time. It was in the off season and the only restaurants open in the park were fast food type of places...even if I could eat the food they served, I absolutely refuse to pay $10 for a McDonald's "value meal". I also would have killed...excuse me, PAID for a Flashpass back then, but they didnt offer them.

And the pay for lockers...what a shitty idea. That park used to have free cubbyholes next to each ride loading area. I'll keep this in mind before I go. I'm probably going to get a pair of cargo pants with closeable pockets to put my stuff in just so I don't have to deal with the locker situation. As for Flashpass...I might just buy them so we can get through that park as quickly as possible. Six Flags in southern Cali is only open on the weekends during the off season, so there are ALWAYS crowds with long lines, and I'm only going to have one day to visit the park.[/QUOTE]

The best way to get the most out of the flash pass is to take 6 people along and split the cost of a gold flash pass 6 ways.

If you only get one gold flash pass, first that mean only one can use it at a time right?... If that's the case, and it's busy, wouldn't two be better?

[quote name='manthing']I was in no way endorsing bringing the large cup on the ride.

My problem lies with separate loading /unloading stations and the only option of storing forbidden items being before you get in line.

Even a place to put similar items before the train, while still allowing access during the lines would be an improvement over the 'nothing in line' policy they had then.[/QUOTE]

I know you weren't, and I didn't realize this thread was old, but I just wanted to share my story of the side effects of people taking stuff they aren't supposed to on the line and how it affects other people. I don't even know why they let her take it even if she said it was empty, but it goes to show that people will find a way to do dumb shit and ruin freedoms for others.

bread's done
Back