Skate 2 - Gen. Discussion & Info - Game is out right now!

Is it just me or is there something wrong with the framerate?

I can't exactly explain it, but it just doesn't look smooth at some times. It is quite jarring.

I messed around with the video editor. Pretty good stuff, but I never messed with the first SKATE editor, so I'm not sure how improved it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Razzuel']Is it just me or is there something wrong with the framerate?

I can't exactly explain it, but it just doesn't look smooth at some times. It is quite jarring.[/quote]

it does jump a bit. I think the blame is the 60fps. I also know that the PS3 was the lead system it was being developed on so it might be smoother on there.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']it does jump a bit. I think the blame is the 60fps. I also know that the PS3 was the lead system it was being developed on so it might be smoother on there.[/quote]

Hmm, I guess I will try the demo on the PS3 when they release it.

Other than that and the walking, the game seems great.

Yeah I realized you couldn't walk backwards, and that was pretty goofy. Otherwise I have no complaints, the additions to the movelist are quite excellent!

Plants!!!!

Plants, and more plants!

So how good is this game? Like what is the story mode about? I might actually pick this up.

I got tired of the goofiness of Tony Hawk a long time ago and this just might be up my alley.

The first game didn't have a story. You just skated and did challenges, eventually appearing in the X-Games. The second one looks to have more of a story, but not as goofy as Tony Hawk's.

fuck. I loved skate. But this... this is Skate 2??? The demo is awful. I hate the graphical changes. It does not feel like actual skating anymore. It feels a bit cartoony. Going up ramps in too easy. I dunno. This demo is a HUGE disappointment for me. Maybe I'll change if I play it again, but my first impression is saddening. Something a bit off with the camera too.

[quote name='pop311']fuck. I loved skate. But this... this is Skate 2??? The demo is awful. I hate the graphical changes. It does not feel like actual skating anymore. It feels a bit cartoony. Going up ramps in too easy. I dunno. This demo is a HUGE disappointment for me. Maybe I'll change if I play it again, but my first impression is saddening. Something a bit off with the camera too.[/quote]

I have a hard time going up ramps, but i havent played skate in like 6 months. As for the camera, Skate 2 was supposed to have other angles. But this demo doesnt seem to have any.

Did they take out the move where you lay down on the board with your back? I remember it being LT+RT+B. In skate 2 if i try that he just neals down. If i do it in the air he lifts the board over his head.

[quote name='Soodmeg']So how good is this game? Like what is the story mode about? I might actually pick this up.

I got tired of the goofiness of Tony Hawk a long time ago and this just might be up my alley.[/QUOTE]

From what I heard, the story goes like this. There was an earthquake in Skate It (for Wii/DS) and the city needs to be built. It was rebuilt bigger and better but a company called Mongo Co. increase security and added those skate blockers to ledges and rails. You just got out of jail (I'm guessing for skating) and you are raising money to create a skate center for the city.

Thats all I've heard. I'm sure there is more to it.

I seen those skate blockers on the steps and stuff around the town in the video on the demo. Im going to guess that those will be somewhat of a hidden package type thing. You need to knock them all off around the city.

[quote name='pop311']fuck. I loved skate. But this... this is Skate 2??? The demo is awful. I hate the graphical changes. It does not feel like actual skating anymore. It feels a bit cartoony. Going up ramps in too easy. I dunno. This demo is a HUGE disappointment for me. Maybe I'll change if I play it again, but my first impression is saddening. Something a bit off with the camera too.[/quote]
You pretty much summed up my thoughts on the demo. I hate the movement while off the board too.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I seen those skate blockers on the steps and stuff around the town in the video on the demo. Im going to guess that those will be somewhat of a hidden package type thing. You need to knock them all off around the city.[/quote]

It better not be like that...that will just be Tony Hawk's all over again! Lol.

[quote name='DJHVIDAL']Well I am getting it.And it is comming out on my birthday[/QUOTE]

It's also released the week of LOST Season 5 premier

[quote name='PenguinoMF']I was thinking about the demo and the size of it. The demo is was 1.5-2 GB, what is it going to take to install the game onto the hard drive?[/quote]

they put a lot more of the city in the demo than just Slappy's skatepark. check out this video to see how to glitch out of the park and skate more of the area.

yeah the first several times I tried it I wasn't able to get out. but the last two times I was able to get it. skated around a bunch of the city, found the ABC Spot thing, ollied down into the street and skitched around pretty far, got to the Snake Pit park where you do the Hall of Meat thing, and skated that for a while before the timer ran out.

I hate that damn timer.

I was able to do the glitch to get out. Make sure you use the little ramp, dont seem to work with the big ramp. Man i hate walking off the board. Anyway, from what i saw it looked cool. But im just not as excited as i used to be for this game. Ill probably buy it, but i dunno if it will be day 1.

I've been having a blast with the demo. It's one of the few that I've played more than once. Definitely a day 1 for me.

I just played it again today....well not really. I spend all my time just trying to get out of the park. Pissed me off cos i couldnt get out. The walking really turns me off. Its so primitive for a game. I dont know how they made it so terrible. Its really frustrating. Why didnt they just allow you to move forward, back, left, and right? No you have to turn in the direction you want to walk, then press forward. Then i try to grab a ramp, and he ends up walking on it. Then i have to turn all the way around, walk forward, then turn all the way around, and try to grab it before he walks up it again.

I would have been just peachy (happy) if Black Box had just upped the grafix a tad, added walking, and new locations. Don't mess with my skate.!!!!...... i miss u.

I did the glitch but it took me like 6 minutes so I was only left with 2 minutes of skating. Damn timer :bomb: Anyways I saw the big black pit with people skating and walking in mid air over it. Kinda funny.

I guess bottom line is that both systems are pretty much the same?

The 360 seems to have slightly sharper textures, or at least more contrast in the textures (I wonder why this often seems to be the case?). I don't know if I saw the 360 stutter slightly in frame rate? I also don't know if the hoodie used was the same (the PS3 version was just a solid color while the 360 had horizontal stripes)?

I'll prolly go 360, but I don't think PS3-only owners should feel bad at all...

PS3 looked a bit sharper and better with shadows. But not much of a difference really. I played skate on 360, but i wonder how it feels to use 2 analog sticks that are right next to each other, like the ps3 has. Seems like that would be even more realistic in a way.

I got the glitch to work right away!

Theres a giant black hole where alot of the level is missing, but if you skate past that I found a swimming pool area, and outside the pool that bald dude with the blue shirt from the cutscenes was skating around. I followed him around but I couldn't talk to him. Then he fell into a brick wall and dissapeared, lol.

Anyone else think that the voice really doesnt match the guy who films you? He looks like he would talk deep, like some NY cab driver. Not some skinny ass kid.

I loved the first skate so I am deviantly going to pick this up. The demo did make me feel slightly disappointed as getting of the board does suck. I do really like the idea of moving around the ramps though.

Can't wait for this to come out. I can't stop playing the demo and For some reason I love adding two rails after that one rail to just keep grinding them. So for sure a Buy for me If I have the money.

No way! There was something about the demo that just seemed so completely wrong, but I had no idea why. I finally figured it out. It was because the default setting was goofy, when I remembered skate as being regular. So I changed the footing and everything is awesome. I feel like a dumbass.

So far demo is pretty cool, but man, I can't get over how bad the off board is. :( I wish the offboard controlled like tony hawk's. I still can't do that out of the gate glitch lol. I always get stuck in the gate and it breaks all my bones.

[quote name='orbit18']So far demo is pretty cool, but man, I can't get over how bad the off board is. :( I wish the offboard controlled like tony hawk's. I still can't do that out of the gate glitch lol. I always get stuck in the gate and it breaks all my bones.[/quote]

The first time i tried it i got out right away. Since then ive tried over 20 minutes and cant get out. Its really annoying.

[quote name='chocoblock']I loved the first skate so I am deviantly going to pick this up.[/quote]

you're going to steal it? that's not very nice.

and yeah, I hate the goddamn walking controls. it's a real pain while trying to do the glitch, which I could forgive because I don't plan on doing much on that in the full game, but it's also a pain sometimes when trying to set up/move obstacles. everything else though, I pretty much dig. except you still can't do a proper frontside flip, it still looks like a kickflip 180.

Agreed with everyone on the walking aspects. Hell, you can't even walk backwards. And its easier to move around whiledragging a heavy ass picnic table or ramp than when you are just walking. :wall:

Its weird how they left so much of the "outside" in the demo too. And it's funny how both demo's have glitches that let you outside.

And man, the demo is so much better once you glitch out. At first, I was like meh, feels more like more of the same. As soon as I got out, the game became a definite buy.

[/a.d.d ridden post.]

[quote name='Chase']I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but the walking controls-- Yeah, they are a bit bothersome. :whistle2:#[/quote]

You being serious? lol...thats what everyone has been talking about :D haha.

Yeh i downloaded the demo again (was testing my new, very fast broadband) and i tried the glitch to get out of the park...but i couldnt do it :cry:. He just got stuck and started twitching about and breaking all of his bones!

[quote name='markingsmart']Skate 2 Throwback Pack Code:

CCCYYGEY3JDGYJG

Code is entered in the Extras section on the Main Menu.[/quote]

Where did you get this and what does it give you?

[quote name='KongaKing']Does this game have a street date? Or when it shows up stores will start selling? I'm hoping to find it earlier in the week[/quote]

From the ads on this page it looks like it comes out thursday afternoon. Jan. 22nd.

Eh, this game feels more like a poorly done Tony Hawk (although still probably better than THPG...which is utter garbage). The 1st Skate was better than this one. The off the board feels awkward and is poorly implemented and the animation for the tricks doesn't seem to be very smooth.

bread's done
Back