Skate 2 - Gen. Discussion & Info - Game is out right now!

I caved in and got the DLC. There's nothing too fancy but I like the park regardless. It has some nice drops from the roof, tons of movable items, 5 new spots to own, 5 or 6 Challenges and a Jam session to finish it off. From what I've noticed the DLC area is not connected to the city. The only way to get in & out is by spawning.

I've been busy playing other games so I kinda forgot about Skate 2. But now I'm back into it thanks to the DLC. I had so much fun I think I'll end up buying all the DLC areas.

[quote name='Rodimus']I caved in and got the DLC. There's nothing too fancy but I like the park regardless. It has some nice drops from the roof, tons of movable items, 5 new spots to own, 5 or 6 Challenges and a Jam session to finish it off. From what I've noticed the DLC area is not connected to the city. The only way to get in & out is by spawning.

I've been busy playing other games so I kinda forgot about Skate 2. But now I'm back into it thanks to the DLC. I had so much fun I think I'll end up buying all the DLC areas.[/quote]

good to know... might get it soon then.

The DLC really got me back into the game. I was playing all last night and this morning trying to kill all the spots. I got em' all except one.

BTW ReRo I owned all your spots, thanks ;)

Classic pack is up for download. Haven't had a chance to play much since I had to jet off to work. Just like the previous DLC the only way to get to each area is to spawn there. They're totally seperate from the rest of the town. This pack is a much better value than the fantasy park. There seem to be more challenges and spots to own.

The Parkade has some extra street level areas. So that's a nice little bonus.

Okay i played for a while, and they are pretty cool. I dont think ill get 2 of the achievements for completing all film and photo missions because 2 of the 3 levels involve a hard manual challenge.

There are 2 "win trick contest" and 1 "win jam contest" achievements, but i cant seem to find out how to start the events.

EDIT: I guess you have to complete all the photo/film challenges for the events to show up. Lame!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have only played the demo. it was fun but i could see it getting repetitive and bland. do you guys think i should dish out the cash for the game?

[quote name='cutsman32']I have only played the demo. it was fun but i could see it getting repetitive and bland. do you guys think i should dish out the cash for the game?[/quote]

I played the first Skate up until Skate 2 came out. that's a year and 3 months, granted it wasn't every day, and there would be weeks between sessions while I was playing other games, but it always found its way back into my 360. Skate 2 has been the same way so far.

the city is huge, and if you just cruise around you'll find new cool spots to session for 20 minutes and then move on and find another one.

thing is though, I used to skate, so it might be more fun for me than someone who never, or never really, did.

Why does Skate 2 have the majority of pot related gamertags? I have seen so many instances of "pot" "smoke" "420" "kush" "blaze" and whatnot. Unsurprisingly, the only people who talk have mentioned weed. Skaters are gonna get a bad rap.

Anyway, I have every achievement (+ both DLCs), so you can find me playing online Spot Battle for Legend - just need like 2400 more EXP.

[quote name='cutsman32']I have only played the demo. it was fun but i could see it getting repetitive and bland. do you guys think i should dish out the cash for the game?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. The demo doesn't represent the game enough. I love the Skate series more that the Tony Hawk series because Skate is some much more realistic. I would rather do a kickflip to a grind down a set of stairs then do a 1080 over a house then land on a rail and grind it for a million points. I've given up on THPS series.

There are so many spots through out the city that you will ride by and see a rail or jump and turn around to go hit it a couple times. And the areas are so varied. There will be town settings, city settings, mountain settings, beach settings, etc. It never gets old.

[quote name='PenguinoMF']Absolutely. The demo doesn't represent the game enough. I love the Skate series more that the Tony Hawk series because Skate is some much more realistic. I would rather do a kickflip to a grind down a set of stairs then do a 1080 over a house then land on a rail and grind it for a million points. I've given up on THPS series.

There are so many spots through out the city that you will ride by and see a rail or jump and turn around to go hit it a couple times. And the areas are so varied. There will be town settings, city settings, mountain settings, beach settings, etc. It never gets old.[/quote]
Agreed, something to be said for the simpler trick system with a realism base. I was a huge THPS fan for a long time but Skate has won me over. just got Skate 2 last week.

After Tony Hawk 2 I stopped playing skating games. It always annoyed me how crazy they were getting. The Hawk games never seemed to change yet people kept buying them and reviews kept on praising them, I didn't understand it.

I've gotten other people into playing Skate that previously never played skating games and aren't into skating at all. The game is simply satisfying from the first spot you kill to the first time you discover a cool place and decide to trick off it for the next hour.

How do you move the camera around in replay mode? On the "info" screen it says you can zoom in and move the camera but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']How do you move the camera around in replay mode? On the "info" screen it says you can zoom in and move the camera but I can't for the life of me figure it out.[/quote]

Pick follow or the tripod camera. one of the cameras doesnt allow you to move it.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Pick follow or the tripod camera. one of the cameras doesnt allow you to move it.[/quote]
Where do you do that? I can't even figure out how to change the camera mode.

If I never got around to buying the first one, should I pick that up for now and just wait for the price to come down on this? I've enjoyed the demos aside from the difficulty, but still kind of skeptical.

Last night i bought the Rob D factory pack and its pretty cool. I had a hard time beating the 2nd part of the jam contest. Luckily i tied in the end, which is as good as a win in this game. I also got those achievements i didnt think i would have completed in the classic pack. I was able to complete the Nollie>nose manual>manual>nose manual>gap the bench challenge on my first attempt. But the Manual pad jumps were harder. All in all, way better 10 dollars spent on these 2 DLC packs than Tomb Raider underworlds beneath the ashes DLC. LOL.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Last night i bought the Rob D factory pack and its pretty cool. I had a hard time beating the 2nd part of the jam contest. Luckily i tied in the end, which is as good as a win in this game. I also got those achievements i didnt think i would have completed in the classic pack. I was able to complete the Nollie>nose manual>manual>nose manual>gap the bench challenge on my first attempt. But the Manual pad jumps were harder. All in all, way better 10 dollars spent on these 2 DLC packs than Tomb Raider underworlds beneath the ashes DLC. LOL.[/QUOTE]

I really want to pick these packs up, but I can't justify buying the points cards right now since my friggin' 360 refuses to connect to XBL. :bomb:

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']I really want to pick these packs up, but I can't justify buying the points cards right now since my friggin' 360 refuses to connect to XBL. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

I don't know if you are going to see the Watchmen movie but if you are, you can get 2 free tickets with an XBL product from Best Buy. That includes a 1600 point card.

[quote name='PenguinoMF']I don't know if you are going to see the Watchmen movie but if you are, you can get 2 free tickets with an XBL product from Best Buy. That includes a 1600 point card.[/QUOTE]

Nice, I might just go ahead and utilize this deal. Thanks for the heads up.

Having a problem on one of the missions in the DLC of the school.. In the begining it requires me to nollie up on a very high ledge the nose manual. It seems like I can't get on ledge unassisted, so I drag over a ramp. But it never registers. The ledge is just so high it doesn't seem like I can simply nollie up on it. Anyone do this?

[quote name='Rodimus']Having a problem on one of the missions in the DLC of the school.. In the begining it requires me to nollie up on a very high ledge the nose manual. It seems like I can't get on ledge unassisted, so I drag over a ramp. But it never registers. The ledge is just so high it doesn't seem like I can simply nollie up on it. Anyone do this?[/quote]

I did it last night on my first try. However the first day i tried it i couldnt nollie up the ledge like you are saying. Its possible. Maybe try to jump from further away than you are trying?

Whew I managed to complete Lucas's Transition last night after about 50 tries. It was TOUGH! Although it looks like I'va already completed 2 of the harder challenges in the game, Lucas's Transtition and Creativity Rules (and Vert With a Vampire to some extent).. Have'n't tried SPELL GIRL yet though and I've heard it's the hardest one yet.

One thing that's I learned from these harder challenges is that you don't really need to flow your right thumstick moves together. They can all be a flick then pause then next move. Something I wasn't relly doing before. Helps a lot for getting the game to recognize what move you are trying to do.

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']Whew I managed to complete Lucas's Transition last night after about 50 tries. It was TOUGH! Although it looks like I'va already completed 2 of the harder challenges in the game, Lucas's Transtition and Creativity Rules (and Vert With a Vampire to some extent).. Have'n't tried SPELL GIRL yet though and I've heard it's the hardest one yet.

One thing that's I learned from these harder challenges is that you don't really need to flow your right thumstick moves together. They can all be a flick then pause then next move. Something I wasn't relly doing before. Helps a lot for getting the game to recognize what move you are trying to do.[/QUOTE]
If you don't mind bending the rules to beat Spell Girl you can do this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzz4KZVh_EY

It took me about 50 tries as well to get lucas transition I ended up getting the tailslide and then jumping and switching my grind as I was going to get the noseslide after I landed on the other ledge.

I havent played the game in weeks, but i bought the DLC got all those missions. Last night i was going back through all own the spots trying to kill them all. I got all but 2 killed through main game and DLC. Is there a leaderboard for own the spots though? I thought there was, or at least a way to see a list of your friends scores. if not, that is major stupid.

Has anyone bought the Advancef Filmer DLC? Is it worth it. Looks like you can do some neat things. The standard replay editor SUCKS but is it realy worth they extra $7 for the advanced version?

I killed all the spots a few days ago. I was having the most trouble with the bus stop and another one called "Getting Technical". People kept getting in my way at the bus stop. Frustrating to no end.

[quote name='Rodimus']I killed all the spots a few days ago. I was having the most trouble with the bus stop and another one called "Getting Technical". People kept getting in my way at the bus stop. Frustrating to no end.[/quote]

Getting Technical is one i havent done yet, the other is the wall. Any tips for those?

Some of the spots i was able to get simply by using object to do tricks on and then landing on the object i was supposed to do the trick on. So there are ways around them, but not always easy.

Is "The Wall" the one that has a high slope and above it an overhanging wall with a hole in it? If so I don't remember exactly what I did but I remember there's a edge you can grind before reaching it. I think I might've used that.

In Getting Technical you're gonna have to find some objects to trick off of. Theres a spot at the bottom that has a long grind. Move some tables and rails over there, get some speed and just grind as much as you can.

[quote name='The 7th Number']I havent played the game in weeks, but i bought the DLC got all those missions. Last night i was going back through all own the spots trying to kill them all. I got all but 2 killed through main game and DLC. Is there a leaderboard for own the spots though? I thought there was, or at least a way to see a list of your friends scores. if not, that is major stupid.[/quote]

The OTS locations in the game will display the highest score out of your friends list, if you have beaten the 'Kill It' score.

For spots you download, it has a leaderboard you can look at.

I still cant beat Getting Technical. I just dont know the right set up. I try to use those rails, the ramp picnic table, and its just some bullshit random number that pops out. I swear i get more points for less moves sometimes, and its annoying.

It took a while for me too. It's pretty much just luck. I'd grind from the ledge to a picnic table back to the ledge and off the ledge. All the while doing flip tricks and spinning as much as I can.

Yeah but its damn annoying when people get in the way, or worse, you bail and the table/rail falls over and moves and you have to put it back. Its a damn shame these objects have no weight to them. They should stick peroid, and not be able to move unless you grab them and move them.

[quote name='The 7th Number']Yeah but its damn annoying when people get in the way, or worse, you bail and the table/rail falls over and moves and you have to put it back. Its a damn shame these objects have no weight to them. They should stick peroid, and not be able to move unless you grab them and move them.[/quote]

After you set a session marker, move objects around. When you get them where you want push right on the D-pad to 'add to session'. Then whenever you reset to your session marker, the objects go back the way you put them.

This is super helpful for hitting tough created lines over and over.

[quote name='Puffa469']After you set a session marker, move objects around. When you get them where you want push right on the D-pad to 'add to session'. Then whenever you reset to your session marker, the objects go back the way you put them.

This is super helpful for hitting tough created lines over and over.[/quote]

Wow.... thats great. I never knew that and was actually wondering what Add to session would do. LOL. But still, its annoying how light the picnic tables or even dumpsters are.

I swear, that manual film challenge in the School DLC was a motherfucker. hardest in the game (with no glitch available that I know of).

HA, finished "Can you spell Girl" last night with the glitch. Really weird, but yeah I tried it without the glicth first and it would have taken forever to beat them. Just too many tricks availible on the RS.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']is fantasy factory worth it? I know the old school pack is.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't have nearly as much content as the classic pack, but I like it. The ditch by the warehouse is pretty sweet, and you can air into it from the roof. I couldn't allow myself to only get one pack, but honestly, if you can wait for a deal on the FF (however it may come), do it.

[quote name='kromekoran']I swear, that manual film challenge in the School DLC was a motherfucker. hardest in the game (with no glitch available that I know of).[/QUOTE]

A couple things that helped me (for anyone who has yet to complete this):

* Nollie in from an angle. Don't jump at the ledge straight on, otherwise you will fall and cry.
* The goals don't need to be completed in sequence. So if you get the nollie and lose your manual after the first ledge, you can still complete the challenge.

I got lucky and finished the this one on my tenth try or so.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']is fantasy factory worth it? I know the old school pack is.[/quote]

I thought it was, the achievements aren't much and the challenges/contests will take you a whole 7 minutes to complete, but with a game like Skate 2 it's usually the replay value that matters. Online matches are fun with this spot, so I'd suggest picking it up.

I think the factory is worth it. It took me more than 7 minutes to beat all the challenges and kill all the own the spots. There isnt that many challenges, but a couple i had troubles with completing the first 10 times. But after you are done there is still stuff to skate on and things to set up.

bread's done
Back