Skullgirls: New 2D fighting game OUT NOW!

joe2187

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
I've been following this game since I heard about it announced around almost a year ago, and it's pretty close to being finished. I'm always excited about fighting games in general and lurking around NeoGaf and reading the interviews and blogs about this game have given me a whole new appreciation on how difficult a process it is to create these fighting games I love so much. It's a really interesting to learn all the labor and process that goes into creating the characters, moves, and mechanics in the game and Skullgirls is looking to please fighting game fans of all genres.

Info:

Skullgirls is a fast-paced 2D fighting game that puts players in control of fierce female warriors in an extraordinary Dark Deco world. From Autumn Games and Reverge Labs, Skullgirls uses advanced graphical technology to feature the unique art of Alex Ahad, whose work has appeared in Lava Punch, UDON’s Tribute books, and Scott Pilgrim; in collaboration with renowned tournament champion Mike "Mike Z" Zaimont. Calling to mind old-school arcade fighters – with a high-definition twist – it’s a one-of-a-kind, action-packed competition complete with awesome combos and an intriguing backstory.

Set in the fictional Canopy Kingdom, Skullgirls pits players against ranks of deadly but beautiful opponents in an attempt to control the enigmatic Skull Heart, a mysterious artifact with the power to bestow wishes – but not without a substantial price. Should the soul be less than pure, both the victor's wish and her being shall be corrupted into a living nightmare that haunts humanity. She will be known as the Skullgirl, a monstrous entity of immense power.
NOTE: The game is still in it's early stages everything you see in the videos is not all the polished and finished product, they still have a long way to go. If you want to know more about the game, here is the developer website RevergeLabs

Trailer:

NEW: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/02/03/dev-diary-skullgirls-is-a-feature-rich-psn-fighter/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovOPfC33Irw

Interviews & Developer commentary:

Giantbomb EX Quick look: Commentary and game mechanics
Peacock character walkthrough

Skullgirls Developer blog
Mike Z Interview

Animating the game
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VkDXBsIXso

Gameplay:

Skullgirls' primary design goal is to be a great competitive fighting game, mostly be addressing design and balance issues that plague other games in the genre.

GGPO Netcode
Skullgirls' online experience is built upon the Good Game, Peace Out (GGPO) networking library, a favorite of the hardcore fighting game community.

Infinite Detection
Central to Skullgirls’ design is a unique infinite detection system, designed to make the game somewhat “self-balancing.” If the game detects that a player is looping a combo, the hit-sparks will change color and the opponent can break out of it with a single button press. However, as long as the player is changing up their combo and improvising, the combo can continue.

Combo Gameplay
Infinite Walkthrough
Crushing gameplay 1
Crushing gameplay 2

“Ratio System” Tag Battles
At the start of battle, players can pick one powered-up character or two weaker characters. Single characters do more damage and have more HP, but lose the strategic advantages of character assists and the ability to regenerate health while off-screen. The player can choose to play a two on two tag battle or a three on three tag battle.

Tag team walkthrough

Custom Assists
While each character comes with a few preset assists, Skullgirls also offers support for custom assists, allowing you to choose an assist move by inputting its motion during character selection. Aside from super moves, any ground action can be chosen - this includes throws, normal attacks, dashes, and any special move.

Easier Inputs
In order to shift the game’s focus from executing difficult moves to fighting strategically, the game features simplified inputs.

For example, if a character has any 360 moves, the game will be able to tell if the player completes a 360 even if the player didn’t execute it at speeds that would be required in a Capcom fighting game. Not only does this make it easier to execute these moves and make grappler characters more accessible, it also prevents the character from hopping at the apex of the 360 movement.

Building Super Meter
Players can build their super meter by whiffing normal attacks (attacking without hitting the opponent), but only if they stay in place or are moving forward - moving backwards and attacking will not build meter. Additionally, only one level can be built this way - if the player already has a super stocked, normal attacks must make contact with an opponent to build any more meter.

High/Low Unblockables
High/low unblockables exist in many fighting games, and are an extremely strong tactic when discovered. In Skullgirls, however, after a character blocks a high or low hit, they are protected for a period of time from being hit by the other type. The protection is short enough to not affect regular gameplay, but long enough that a player can successfully defend against the first attack and still be protected from what might otherwise be an unblockable second attack.

Soundtrack
Reverge Labs announced that Skullgirls' soundtrack will be composed by Michiru Yamane, a composer on numerous Castlevania games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV8uYpvMYWQ&feature=player_embedded

GAMEPLAY Videos

Screens:
5792294599_ee9978c2ef_z.jpg
5792857886_4a84769d6f_z.jpg
5792856582_902582868e_z.jpg
5792296105_84670a64fd_z.jpg

5632638883_1006bafdff.jpg

1723715-filia_01_large.jpg

1700098-cerebella_portrait_large.jpg

Upcoming characters:
060509_umbrella01d.jpg

060508_mfortune01d.jpg

060430_squigly_01.jpg

060430_parasoul_01b.jpg

060506_painwheel_01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I will most likely be picking this up. I love these obscure fighting games ;)

GGPO is a big plus. Also glad to hear who is doing the music for this game. We should be in store for some awesome tunes :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Even the guys at their booth knew an insane amount about fighting games, it was like a clinic of fighting game design. I loved to hear about what they've done to balance the game.

The game has received some controversy recently so this is going to be good for people who want to see the game do well.

The controversy definitely put the game on my radar because of how ridiculous it is.

Figured I should bump this thread in case anybody hasnt heard anything about it.

I dont have time to update, but it seems adequate enough.

Game is out now, it's amazing enjoy!

bread's done
Back