Skylanders Starter Packs 50% off at Toys R Us!

o0achilles0o

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Title says it all. Brings the starter packs down to $34.98

Great deal for those wanting to get sucked into the best marketing scheme in the history of video games.

This sale started today and I haven't seen it pasted. Don't shoot me if it was posted already, I'm on my iPhone and the mobile site doesn't have a search function.

http://www.toysrus.com/search/index...ylanders+starter&f=Taxonomy/TRUS/2254197&sr=1

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post op.
bkdhsod
Gonna get down to my local TRU ASAP!!!

How is shipping on the TRU site? I may have to use gift cards, could I sneak in under $40? Do TRU gift cards even sell in $20s or do I have to get $25s? Is this in-store also?

I picked up the Xbox and 3DS versions last time they were $40 at TRU. Surprisingly good games, the figures are very well made.

And seriously, don't overlook the 3DS version. It's just as good, if not better, than the console versions.

Idk how people get sucked into the figures. I bought the starter pack, 1000'd the game and had no desire to get any more figures.

[quote name='KtMack23']Idk how people get sucked into the figures. I bought the starter pack, 1000'd the game and had no desire to get any more figures.[/QUOTE]
You must not have any kids?

[quote name='Brother Daz']You must not have any kids?[/QUOTE]

Yup, my daughter and my nephews LOVE the game. I dig it too, really is a pretty fun game for all ages.

[quote name='Brother Daz']You must not have any kids?[/QUOTE]

I understand kids getting sucked into it (My much younger brother is obssesed with the figures) but it seems like some adults are really into it.

[quote name='KtMack23']I understand kids getting sucked into it (My much younger brother is obssesed with the figures) but it seems like some adults are really into it.[/QUOTE]

so what? it's fun.

Exactly. I tried to play Battle Fantasia and it sucked for me but I'm sure others love it.

I sold my 3DS starter set for $30 and then realized I don't have a life figure at all. Bah. I do have a gift card to TRU so maybe I should just buy another. Dumb me.

[quote name='KtMack23']I understand kids getting sucked into it (My much younger brother is obssesed with the figures) but it seems like some adults are really into it.[/QUOTE]

Some adults are really OCD (myself included). A lot of action figure/Hot Wheels collectors are adults. Speaking as a parent, finding a co-op game you can play with your kids without wanting to light yourself on fire is a rare thing indeed. I think Skylanders was just the right game at the right time.
This is a great deal for the starter kits. Thinking about picking up the 3DS version just for the figures. I don't even have a 3DS.

[quote name='brianace']Some adults are really OCD (myself included). A lot of action figure/Hot Wheels collectors are adults. Speaking as a parent, finding a co-op game you can play with your kids without wanting to light yourself on fire is a rare thing indeed. I think Skylanders was just the right game at the right time.
This is a great deal for the starter kits. Thinking about picking up the 3DS version just for the figures. I don't even have a 3DS.[/QUOTE]

You mean co-op Over The Hedge doesn't do it for you? :)

Spyro is useless but ignitor and stealth elf are fantastic. Don't think you'll be able to sell the game and portal without the figures though. That goes for like $10 on ebay. After fees, not worth the effort.

[quote name='confoosious']You mean co-op Over The Hedge doesn't do it for you? :)

Spyro is useless but ignitor and stealth elf are fantastic. Don't think you'll be able to sell the game and portal without the figures though. That goes for like $10 on ebay. After fees, not worth the effort.[/QUOTE]

Stealth elf is awesome, one of my favorites. I got lucky and had a CAG offer me one for a great price!

I just came back from TRU, make sure you check behind the glass case just in case the 3DS starter set are not with the rest of the Skylanders products.

If anyone is at TRU while reading this, can you ask them whether they still take trade-ins?

[quote name='Brother Daz']Stealth elf is awesome, one of my favorites. I got lucky and had a CAG offer me one for a great price![/QUOTE]

You know who else is great? Cynder. I thought everyone was just hyping her(?) up but she is awesome. With Cynder and Prism Break, I can do anything.

[quote name='confoosious']You mean co-op Over The Hedge doesn't do it for you? :)

Spyro is useless but ignitor and stealth elf are fantastic. Don't think you'll be able to sell the game and portal without the figures though. That goes for like $10 on ebay. After fees, not worth the effort.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I would probably just eat the cost of portal and game, or slip it to some CAG in need. I have had a terribly difficult time finding a Stealth Elf in stores, even after they've restocked. Ignitor seems cool, but I heard that he'll be available as a single after 4/2. And Dark Spyro is cool because of his rarity, but it doesn't seem like he does much different than regular-ass Spyro. So I'm still on the fence.
But for those that haven't taken the Skylanders plunge yet, this is a great deal.

[quote name='Brother Daz']Stealth elf is awesome, one of my favorites. I got lucky and had a CAG offer me one for a great price![/QUOTE]

;)

[quote name='confoosious']Not a single character at my tRu. I think they think they're not supposed to sell anything until 3/21[/QUOTE]

I had the same message at mine. The clerk said that of course the sale will be over by the 21st when they get their stock in.

[quote name='confoosious']You know who else is great? Cynder. I thought everyone was just hyping her(?) up but she is awesome. With Cynder and Prism Break, I can do anything.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Cynder is my favorite character by far.

This is great cause I have 2 buddies of mine that have been waiting for a price drop on the console starter for quite a while now. Thanks OP!

Bought the 3DS vesion this morning - saw the flyer in the paper. Was hoping for a $25 price on the 3DS version but this was close enough. How do they justify the 3DS, PS3 and Wii versions all being the same price anyway, even with the portal and figures the 3DS version should be at least $10 cheaper than PS3, no? Well anyway we paid $35 for the 3DS version b/c I heard the game was good and different, and we needed 3 more elements for our PS3 version - fire, life and wind. Now we have 10 characters equaling 7 elements, after I find wind we're done. Until Giants.

Also, NO 3 packs, just a big sign saying - "All your favorite 3 packs will be back on March 21". That's 3 days after the sale ends in case anybody is thinking of waiting.

Anybody else look at the 3 Spyros and think - gold, silver, bronze?

We've spent $118 so far, the typical price for 2 new PS3 games - $50 PS3 starter, $35 3DS starter, $25 Legendary and $8 Voodood (back when they were still $7.99). So yes, it's on the expensive side to collect a bunch of them, but video games are expensive. And my kid has a collection of toys he likes to play with - Pokemon toys this size run about $7 each as well. IF the 650 Pokemon toys come out in a video game then my bank will break.

I just picked this up today at Sears. Not only do they price match, but they will beat the price by 10%! This dropped the price of the Skylanders starter pack for XBOX 360 to $31.49. Definitely not a bad deal.

Came this close to buying the 360 version, that "Everything will be in-stock on 3/21" sign reminded me if I wanted to see various parts of the game I'll have to hunt around for these damn things and I never see them in-stock anywhere.

Decided against it.

It somehow didn't even occur to me while I was at Fry's this morning to see what they had. Oh well. I picked up the Wii starter pack at TRU as a gift, and yeah, the racks are barren.

[quote name='Velo214']confoo, yeah tru isnt taking trade ins here anymore, they say their system is down.
and i can't get a www.toysrustradeincenter.com anymore either. damn[/QUOTE]

It's not really dead, here is a thread of what's going on. From what I gathered the company that was handling the trade ins isn't doing it anymore and TRU is looking for somebody else to do it.

Man, people are like vultures with the normal figures, at least at my local store. I went for something else and saw the employees come out with boxes full of new stock. The employee was opening the boxes, not even taking the items out, and people were just straight up buying the boxes. The shelves were never even stocked because of this.

[quote name='Gosha']Man, people are like vultures with the normal figures, at least at my local store. I went for something else and saw the employees come out with boxes full of new stock. The employee was opening the boxes, not even taking the items out, and people were just straight up buying the boxes. The shelves were never even stocked because of this.[/QUOTE]

lmao... are you sure it wasn't a box of hot wheels?!?! Those people are nuts!!!! When I went to TRU in the morning the shelves were still stocked but it's always the older waves that are in stock. First Wave and the current Wave are hardly ever in stock.

[quote name='spydey']Thanks OP. Picked up the 360 version and got the 3DS portal and game for $10 on Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Just ordered the $10 3DS version, didn't even notice that. With already owning the Wii version, I'm set!

[quote name='Gosha']Man, people are like vultures with the normal figures, at least at my local store. I went for something else and saw the employees come out with boxes full of new stock. The employee was opening the boxes, not even taking the items out, and people were just straight up buying the boxes. The shelves were never even stocked because of this.[/QUOTE]

Because people are assholes and are buying them just to flip. I hope they all get stuck with them.

[quote name='Survivalism']Because people are assholes and are buying them just to flip. I hope they all get stuck with them.[/QUOTE]

I know people are buying more than one when they go to the store for friends and family members, I've seen it a few times.

[quote name='skiizim']I know people are buying more than one when they go to the store for friends and family members, I've seen it a few times.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that must have been what the guy putting 10 Legendary 3 packs into his cart must have been doing a few weeks ago ;-p

[quote name='skiizim']I know people are buying more than one when they go to the store for friends and family members, I've seen it a few times.[/QUOTE]

It is possible, but more likely that it is an a-hole reseller.

I informed my GM at my BB about the resellers and he actually told our cashiers and salespeople to not let more than 2 of the same Skylander sell to a single person. That made me feel kind of cool to make at least a small difference. :)

damn sold out at all tru's and bestbuys all around me. argh!
i wish amazon would price match this!
i want stealth elf and ignitor and i havnt seen them solo anywhere ever

I bought some NCAA basketball 10 at TRU last week and was told a story by the cashier about some guys who clears out the skylanders. He said he has bought as much as $9000+ worth of gaming stuff on his paypal credit/debit card at once and sells them in the middle east.This is the second time around here, tha I've heard of some guy selling gaming stuff in or to the middle east market. Last time it was at target about a year and a half ago regarding 360s. Gotta be the same guy.

There's been a little discussion on this already, but what's the best system to get these for? After some of the praise in the thread for the 3DS, I'm leaning that way as I play handhelds more than any other system. Is there a particular down or up side to any of the others?

SI

[quote name='sterlingice']There's been a little discussion on this already, but what's the best system to get these for? After some of the praise in the thread for the 3DS, I'm leaning that way as I play handhelds more than any other system. Is there a particular down or up side to any of the others?

SI[/QUOTE]

I was debating 3DS vs console also. I ended up getting the 3DS game/portal for $15 shipped on Amazon that was mentioned earlier and I'll grab the starter pack with figurines for PS3 or Xbox today.

The 'real' game is mostly for the consoles. The 3DS game is a very, very generic platformer. If you want a complete set, then by all means get it, but do not get just the 3ds version.

What an awesome find, OP! I needed this for one of my kids' birthday. Woohoo! The local TRUs have closed, so I'll have it shipped. Even with high shipping it's still an awesome deal. Thanks OP! EDIT: $44.49 shipped with tax and (high) shipping for the Wii version.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Toss']I bought some NCAA basketball 10 at TRU last week and was told a story by the cashier about some guys who clears out the skylanders. He said he has bought as much as $9000+ worth of gaming stuff on his paypal credit/debit card at once and sells them in the middle east.This is the second time around here, tha I've heard of some guy selling gaming stuff in or to the middle east market. Last time it was at target about a year and a half ago regarding 360s. Gotta be the same guy.[/QUOTE]

On the plus side, he is improving US-ME relations. I always knew video games were the path to world peace. :)

bread's done
Back