Skyrim Collectors Ed. (PS3) for $95!

[quote name='rpnguyen']ps3 version has huge problems with no fix in sight. do not buy. would recommend xbox/pc version strongly though.[/QUOTE]

That's why i've been putting off the regular version for PS3. Want to play it, if they ever do fix it though.

The PS3's issues don't seem all that bad since they patched it, and only really manifest after a 50+ hour save file and can be fixed by saving and reloading after 30 minutes of play or so. Not really that huge of a deal considering all the other technical issues the game has.

Still, it's really hard to recommend anything but the PC version for this game. Console versions of Bethesda games are a...messy affair.

This is not ! Worthy, got me excited for nothing. Thanks for looking out anyway, others might like the $5 savings, but this is goin much cheaper soon

[quote name='Xenogears']This is not ! Worthy, got me excited for nothing. Thanks for looking out anyway, others might like the $5 savings, but this is goin much cheaper soon[/QUOTE]

It's twice as good as $5 off! It's "two fives" off! \\:D/

I'm curious if any of the people complaining about the PS3 version are speaking from first hand knowledge? Because I remember all the brouhaha about other games (securom comes to mind) that turned out to be a lot of noise about nothing.

As someone who has put 100 hours into Skyrim on his PS3 (slim model), I've only had the slightest of stutters, and even then it's only when I've been playing for about 4 hours straight. And I haven't even applied any of the patches. The number of people complaining on their forums is mighty small compared to the hundreds of thousands (or millions?) of copies sold on PS3. A lot of the talk is coming from people who heard complaints second hand and are repeating them.

I'm certain that a percentage of PS3 owners are having legitimate problems. And it may hit me soon (though there is still hope of better patches). But so far I've had 100 glorious hours in this game. I can't say that about a whole lot of other games I've played.

A little advice for anyone who does decide to pick this up. Nobody knows the exact reason for the slowdown, but one hypothesis is that the game continues to track everything you interact with in the world. So if you are the type to act like a fool and run across every banquet table you see, just to see plates, glasses, and food scatter everywhere, you could be adding to the memory bloat. I play like I would in real life. I only grab things I want to examine or take. I try to retrieve spent arrows. Etc. And my save file has stayed around 7MB. Others reporting problems have saves two or three times that size with the same number of hours played.

why all the hate on the PS3 version, you just have to take extra precautions like saving often and keeping tons of games saves in case the game glitches/freezes. I have put 100+ hours on Skyrim on my PS3 and it only has frozen once and that was before they patched the game.

Totally agree with the 2 posts above, I'm 157 in and had only a few problems. Bethesda suggested turning off auto save and upgrading to a faster hard drive and I did both and had no slow down problems.

As for the collectors edition, I was disappointed in the quality of the dragon statue as it is really light and made of cheap plastic. The art book on the other hand was really well made and one of best I've seen for a video game. I got this for $75 as part of the BestBuy.com Buy1Get1 glitch a few weeks ago and that's about what I think the CE is worth.

don't buy this. i had to trade in my regular ps3 copy b/c this game is unplayable. i gave up after the last patch. screw bethesda. this garbage is unplayable.

Game goes for 55$, book 55$, and Dragon 50$ - 70$ on ebay if sold seperate ... hint hint.

Have 180$ of amazon credit I got for about 90$ a bit ago ... maybe buy 2 and flip them into some more?

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']remember the ps3 version is f'd up[/QUOTE]

Unfortuantly this isnt the only multiplatform this way

[quote name='nddave']Waiting for cheaper.

Looking at buy price at 69.99 or lower.

The lower the better of course[/QUOTE]

Agreed and I think they will go lower. I was in my local Gamestop today and they had a whole bunch of these all stacked up with a sign that they've been permanently marked down to $99. Even with the mark down, it didn't exactly look like they were flying off the shelves.

After Christmas when game sales taper off and retailers are stuck with these things still they will go even lower.

[quote name='Edge']The PS3's issues don't seem all that bad since they patched it, and only really manifest after a 50+ hour save file and can be fixed by saving and reloading after 30 minutes of play or so. Not really that huge of a deal considering all the other technical issues the game has.

Still, it's really hard to recommend anything but the PC version for this game. Console versions of Bethesda games are a...messy affair.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='AcidRain25']Totally agree with the 2 posts above, I'm 157 in and had only a few problems. Bethesda suggested turning off auto save and upgrading to a faster hard drive and I did both and had no slow down problems.

As for the collectors edition, I was disappointed in the quality of the dragon statue as it is really light and made of cheap plastic. The art book on the other hand was really well made and one of best I've seen for a video game. I got this for $75 as part of the BestBuy.com Buy1Get1 glitch a few weeks ago and that's about what I think the CE is worth.[/QUOTE]
While it might have worked for you, the core issue at the heart that caused the infinite lag and the issues on the PS3 has not been fixed; it is an engine-wide issue. See DigitalFoundry's extensive analysis of the problem here. The patch does not solve the problem for the majority of users and Joshua Sawyer, the designer of Fallout: New Vegas, who has an intimate knowledge of Bethesda's engine, has said it is a serious issue with Bethesda's engine that hasn't been fixed yet and will take a lot of time and effort to correct; auto-saving and saves have absolutely nothing to do with it.

[quote name='midnightexpress']While it might have worked for you, the core issue at the heart that caused the infinite lag and the issues on the PS3 has not been fixed; it is an engine-wide issue. See DigitalFoundry's extensive analysis of the problem here. The patch does not solve the problem for the majority of users and Joshua Sawyer, the designer of Fallout: New Vegas, who has an intimate knowledge of Bethesda's engine, has said it is a serious issue with Bethesda's engine that hasn't been fixed yet and will take a lot of time and effort to correct; auto-saving and saves have absolutely nothing to do with it.[/QUOTE]

In the interest of balance, I wouldn't call DF's analysis "extensive" or conclusive. They merely point out some basic aspects of the problem and offer a hypothesis. Also, I don't see any evidence to support the assumption that this fails to solve the problem for the "majority of users". Based on the volume of complaints, I'd say the majority of users aren't having any problems at all. And if you mean the majority of users having a problem, there still isn't much evidence. Results from Betheseda's own forums are mixed. Some did see improvement, others did not. All we can say for sure is that some people are definitely having problems, it's not an easy fix, and existing patches haven't solved it for every user.

As for Joshua Sawyer's comments, he may be on to something, but he didn't work on this game or with this engine, as Bethesda has pointed out. The specific issue he mentioned was supposedly fixed in this engine already:
https://twitter.com/#!/DCDeacon/status/144223529892712449
https://twitter.com/#!/DCDeacon/status/144241729577553920

I do think this CE will go lower in price. I can see a frantic post about someone finding this for $40 at Gamestop before too long. ;) And the game definitely has issues. But it isn't "completely f'ed" or broken for everyone with a PS3. Gamers love to parrot complaints, and it only serves to muddy the real issues. Sticking to the facts is best for everyone involved.

I really wonder how many of the problems this broken ass game is having are linked to the ps3's 4.0 update. Ive heard its caused a lot of freezing and games chugging for people. *sigh* Sony and its excessive updates

Anyway. With lucky this thing will be like 30 bucks soon enough. Its no secret how borked the ps3 version is. The question is whether it will ever get working right

I have the PS3 version and haven't had issues and I'm 74 hrs in. YMMV tho.

[quote name='Kenshindono']I really wonder how many of the problems this broken ass game is having are linked to the ps3's 4.0 update. Ive heard its caused a lot of freezing and games chugging for people. *sigh* Sony and its excessive updates

Anyway. With lucky this thing will be like 30 bucks soon enough. Its no secret how borked the ps3 version is. The question is whether it will ever get working right[/QUOTE]

I have put in 73 hours on the ps3 version as well and the only time it froze was after i downloaded patch 1.3. It froze 4 times since then. Also I'm curious are people with serious problems using a slim or fat ps3?

Based on browsing their forums, people with problems use both the slim and fat. It's entirely unscientific, but it seems like more reports are coming from the fat models.

I'm more of a PC gamer at heart, and Skyrim strikes me as another Crysis. It's a game that pushed a bit beyond the current hardware. At least with PCs you can upgrade to a new generation video card down the road when the tech catches up. But the affected PS3 owners are stuck--kind of.

I guess I should mention that there is one upgrade people can try if they really want this to run well. You can install a SSD. It doesn't fix the underlying problem, but reads from the solid state drive are almost as fast as memory, so the lag basically disappears. There are a bunch of threads on their forums from people who tried it with great success. Of course all your games will benefit to some degree, particularly with load times, but results won't blow you away.

FYI, Gamestop has also lowered their price on all 3 platforms to $100.
http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-The+Elder+Scrolls+V+Skyrim+Collector+s+Edition

[quote name='n4styn4t3']Game is awesome but issues like this make me glad I have a 360 as well.[/QUOTE]

The 360 isn't immune. ;) If this truly is some sort of memory leak, the 360's unified memory architecture simply gives it more time before the lag kicks in. Some users have already reported identical problems to the PS3. (There are Youtube videos as well.)

The 360 also suffers from stuttering, tearing, and texture issues, but some of those may have been fixed by the recent patches. I think the texture problem was licked, right? At least that had an easy workaround--don't install the game to your hard drive. Playing off the disc doesn't cause the textures to disappear.

I'm not a platform snob, since I own several, but this is yet another game were only the PC crowd is enjoying the full experience. The consoles are fighting over distant second and third place. Videos of the PC version are gorgeous (and don't require expensive hardware--before anyone throws that old false chestnut out there, LOL).

I had to hunt 4 store before I can find one with the pc version. First store refuse to sell it because the manager claim it is on preorder. Second and third store were sold out the same day. And fourth i find open box version, the manager sell it to me for 90 since the dragon was on display but other wise mint. Pay 90 gamestop credit crafted from cheap best buy "coal". And proceed to sell the dragon to my friend for 30.

I would love to get the CE for this, but I would want it for 360 and probably $75 at the most. I can see it getting there within a month.

As someone who spent 100+ hours in Fallout 3 and Fallout 3 GOTY Ps3...and New Vegas PS3, I urge you all to seriously rethink about the buying this.

Bethesda products just don't have any type of quality assurance, on any platform. The bugs that plague on the PS3 are COMPLETELY IGNORING the other versions, the PC community just released a patch that improves performance by 40% alone by cleaning up Bethesda's shoddy coding. The 360 version had or might still have some texture streaming issues and do not be fooled, the same basic save coding that destroyed the PS3 version of Skyrim is also present on the 360 and PC.

Obviously given the powerhouse that is the PC you will never see that slowdown, but once you hit that magic point in gameplay for the 360, get ready for a treat.

I'm trying my best here not to play up the PC version, but if you give an unequivocal vouch of approval for the 360 version you are sadly mistaken. You will be on the same boat sooner or later.

EDIT: Also I play all Bethesda games on my PC now, do not give yourself the headache on consoles. Regardless of how better perceived the 360 version is compared to it's PS3 brethren.

Thanks for the insight MrBubbles, although my PC is powerful, I refrain from using it for I'm constantly running work-related simulations. But seems like I have to change that for Skyrim.

bread's done
Back