Skyrim on PC?

yester

CAGiversary!
Hi, i wonder if its worth to play Skyrim on a pc. The reviews are kind of confusing. Some stating that its down ported very badly other are happy.
I don't care much about mods, but i know that i like to play on the pc. Console is nice too for the bigger tv but some games are better on a pc.
Anyway, i would like to hear from you all what you think about playing this game on a pc or rather have it for a console.

I did play Oblivion on the Xbox and it was overall a good experience. But it is somewhat different to play on a console. Not sure if thats nostalgia or something else.

Ported badly? Dude, Bethesda's games are always PC first. Yes, the PC version is better, you also have the option of installing mods. If you have a capable PC, go for the PC version.

I think the biggest complaint about the PC version was the UI. It was very much designed with a controller in mind. I installed the SkyUI mod and haven't looked back. Makes browsing the inventory so much faster.

And I know you said you don't care about mods that much, but you should reconsider. Just take a look at the few available in the Steam Workshop for starters. There are quite a few that make the game look much better, add convenience, add weapons/armor/quests, etc.

This is a real issue for me too. I can't decide if I should play Skyrim on PC or 360. I just built a new gaming PC in the fall, so my PC is plenty capable to run Skyrim on the PC, but at the same time the convenience and comfort of playing on my big TV with surround sound, from the couch is a big draw for the 360.

I'm pretty sure no matter what system I choose to play on it will be a great experience, but I guess the question is should I go for the better "technical" experience (graphics, mods, UI), or the better "playing" experience (TV, couch, sound).

My problem with mods is that for games that I do install mods, I typically end up spending more time installing and fiddling with mods than I actually play the game :). So maybe it's not actually a good thing to have that ability.

Well, i am not against mods. What was mentioned is not a mod the way i understand it like modding with some new props and such.

I think i will give it a shot on the pc. I played FO3 on the pc and it was quite nice. Although i had some crashes on the pc, but then again i had them also on the Xbox.

I have to say honestly that tv is great (from the view) but on the pc i sit just closer and it is more fun that way.
Controls are a issue but since there is a mod, it may be worth it. Not sure about my hardware, but i think a E8500 and a GT8800 should still do it.

You can easily play the PC version with an xbox usb controller on a big screen tv. And if you have a good enough PC it looks way better than consoles, specially with everything maxed and at 1080p resolutions. Don't be fooled though, this isn't like Oblivion were the game engine put people's machines to their knees. It can be easily played on a budget card like the gtx 460 or 6870 in the $100-150 price range with all the goodies on.

And what do you mean "used copy"? On PC? You can't buy used since its tied with Steam accounts. Until Steam opens up their platform to allow used game trading.

I play it on the PS3, but I'm convinced that its best on PC.

All the mods they have bring new life to a game thats already huge.

[quote name='JBaz']You can easily play the PC version with an xbox usb controller on a big screen tv. And if you have a good enough PC it looks way better than consoles, specially with everything maxed and at 1080p resolutions. Don't be fooled though, this isn't like Oblivion were the game engine put people's machines to their knees. It can be easily played on a budget card like the gtx 460 or 6870 in the $100-150 price range with all the goodies on.

And what do you mean "used copy"? On PC? You can't buy used since its tied with Steam accounts. Until Steam opens up their platform to allow used game trading.[/QUOTE]

You mean i 'have' to use steam? Oh wow.. but i have seen used copies on Amazon.
Mm.. so then new i'll guess.
From the specs, i think mine should handle that. (hope)

skyrim has full xbox 360 wired controller support

you plug in the controller and even get the xbox ui and if you want you can press f5 to quick save still too

i play it on my bigscreen this way :)

[quote name='yester']You mean i 'have' to use steam? Oh wow.. but i have seen used copies on Amazon.
Mm.. so then new i'll guess.
From the specs, i think mine should handle that. (hope)[/QUOTE]
The engine is very adaptive, it can actually be played on intel's HD 3000 chip on low settings that still looks pretty good; about the same as the consoles IMHO. You really don't need a lot of power to play Skyrim. Even with a cheap 6770 $60 card, it plays great.

Thanks for the link. My cpu passed but closer to the required side.

Soon i will order it and see how it plays. Its funny, but i did not realize that my cpu type is not even anymore existent. Now its only i3,5,7. At least what i checked on newegg. Need to build a new computer soon.

The E8500 isn't too fargone, still decent. I'd say drop in a new nvidia video card, throw the 8800 as your physix and hold out another year or so before your build a new system if you want to get more value out of the CD2. Don't exactly "need" to build a new PC if all you do is casually play games.

Now that the 680 is out and the 660, 670 are soon to follow; prices on the 500 series gpu's should fall in the next few weeks (580 dropped to $330 last week). Honestly, if your GT8800 is EVGA and have a lifetime warranty, I'd try to see if you can RMA it. My buddy did this to his GTS880 320 last month and got back a refurbed 550 ti for free.

[quote name='JBaz']The E8500 isn't too fargone, still decent. I'd say drop in a new nvidia video card, throw the 8800 as your physix and hold out another year or so before your build a new system if you want to get more value out of the CD2. Don't exactly "need" to build a new PC if all you do is casually play games.

Now that the 680 is out and the 660, 670 are soon to follow; prices on the 500 series gpu's should fall in the next few weeks (580 dropped to $330 last week). Honestly, if your GT8800 is EVGA and have a lifetime warranty, I'd try to see if you can RMA it. My buddy did this to his GTS880 320 last month and got back a refurbed 550 ti for free.[/QUOTE]

Gee, how would i rma this card. Nothing wrong with it really. I bought it at fry's years back as Cod MW was out. So its been awhile.

Regarding the cpu, well i just was surprised to see nothing of this kind of cpu anymore. If this breaks i am in trouble. It would mean to buy a new board. So far everything works fine and yes, i haven't played a lot lately. If i would do it would require me to invest something in the pc. (looking at Diablo 3)

The speedtest was ok, i mean i can play it. Thats all that matters so far. I will order it on friday via Amazon. The only things that bugs me is the Steam (you need steam). I just hate that. That makes buying it somewhere else almost useless. But Steam is more expensive right now. Cheaper on Amazon.

If its EVGA, you can do an RMA directly with them on their website or call their support number. You just make some excuse that it doesn't work on your machine anymore.

As for regarding your cpu, its the older 775 lga socket so its already 2 generations behind (1156/1366; 1155/2011). I wouldn't worry about the chip going bad, they rarely go bad unless its the user's fault; mostly if you have heat issues, over volting or over clocking; sometimes it can be a bad PSU, faulty mobo, or even a lightning strike, but again, those are easily preventable by using good name PSU and run a proper surge protector (not the shitty kinds).

As for D3, I highly doubt it's going to be crazy gpu intensive. I'd say if you can run WOW, its going to run D3 as that's the core target market that they plan to sell to. And most wow players don't exactly have high end machines. Even during the beta, my friends 5770 card ran smooth.

Skyrim? Don't matter where you buy it, they all activate on steam. Amazon... you get a steam code. Direct2Drive... you get a steam code. Bestbuy... you get CD and the steam code.

Thanks for the helpful respond. I'll appreciate it.

Don't worry about the cpu. Even the gfx card is not on my list really, but its an option. :)
Not sure how much faster the other one is. This is one is a 1gb version.

Sadly yes, everything goes trough some sort of service nowadays. Isn't a pain.

p.s. was ur friends card broken? I got to check if mine has a lifetime warranty.

The 550 ti is about double the performance, uses 1/3 less power and has directx 11. I want to say my friend's 8800gts was in working condition; it was when we pulled it from the machine a few years ago, but it sat on a shelf and we just sent it in. We only did it because others had said they got 460's as replacements.

I think SKYRIM on PC is the better than console. I used to play SKYRIM on PC and really enjoyed it. The fact that you just need a PC to go on playing with skyrim is the best. I loved the mods on PC and also the familiarity of controls compared to console gaming. Graphics also runs smoothly on PC than in console. But of course on a good gaming PC. Also the ability to use mouse on driving and shooting is better rather than console. :)

I am coming to the conclusion that i am better off on the pc than on the console.
As a matter of fact i switch more and more titles to the pc.
Right now i re-ordered me Oblivion for the pc (sounds crazy) but i haven't played all the add-ons anyway.
It is nice to play something on a big screen, but i always felt better to play it on a pc where i sit closer to the screen (which is not so big).
Mods is the only thing that i did not do. Not sure if they alter the gameplay to more like cheating.
I am waiting right now on a sale perhaps for Skyrim. Once i see one i will get it.
But before that i think i might play Diablo 3. :)

All in all i think it was good to ask. Now i know where to play it.

[quote name='War Machine']Ported badly? Dude, Bethesda's games are always PC first.[/QUOTE]

Incorrect! Bethesda's games used to be built for PC then ported to consoles but they [like almost every other developer] now port to PC. Skyrim was made for the XBox 360 then ported to the PS3 and PC. You can see a clear example for this by looking at the UI. And notice how Skyrim has built in X360 controller support?

I believe you are an avid Elder Scrolls fan such as myself so you should know of PlanetElderScrolls, a highly trusted Elder Scrolls fan made website for hosting mods and discussing the games.

As you can see in this article [check out the interview for full details] the news came out January of 2011 that the game was built for consoles.

http://planetelderscrolls.ign.com/a...rim-to-be-developed-for-consoles-ported-to-pc

--------------------------

Now back to the topic at hand. Yes, I recommend getting it for the PC. You have built in controller support for the Xbox 360 so controls are just like they would be on the console (so the UI is no longer a hassle if you have a wired X360 controller or a wireless controller and an adapter).

Not to mention that patches are always released on the PC first, and they have a texture pack [free] with higher definition textures for it which Bethesda released a little while ago.

And I know you said you don't care for mods, but in 3 years when you have absolutely nothing else to do on the console version what are you going to do? With the PC version there is endless content since it will be created for many many years to come. Just look at Elder Scrolls II: Morrowind's modding community. It's still going strong and new mods are made daily, this is 10 years after the game released. Not to mention how some of these mods are no longer considered mods but expansion packs for the game, adding entire continents to Morrowind. I'm positive the same will happen for Skyrim as it also happened for Oblivion.

+1 For good first post? :)

Just another question. If i buy another gfx card for skyrim, would a radeon hd 6850 ok? I think my Gt8800 is a little dated, meaning i am on the minimum requirements.

[quote name='chesbak001']I think SKYRIM on PC is the better than console. I used to play SKYRIM on PC and really enjoyed it. The fact that you just need a PC to go on playing with skyrim is the best. I loved the mods on PC and also the familiarity of controls compared to console gaming. Graphics also runs smoothly on PC than in console. But of course on a good gaming PC. Also the ability to use mouse on driving and shooting is better rather than console. :)[/QUOTE]
I can'r disagree the mods are awesome 8D

my computer:
p5q pro
msi r4850 512mb
e8400 (air o/c)
4gbs mushkin
I'm running skyrim fine (22" screen 1680x1050) mouse/kb
mods are strongly recommended- the follower mod that lets you have up to 15 followers, see their stats, etc is great. My computer can take 5-6 without hiccups
also the faster horse mod is great, and a better map mod helps

I ordered the game last friday. Should be arriving soon and i will surely fire it up and see how it runs on my older computer.
Still playing Oblivion (too much to do) but i am really yearning for a new game.

bread's done
Back