Skyrim: Pre-Order or Wait for Black Friday?

leeloo1977

CAGiversary!
So I am buying this as a present from my husband to myself, only he will insist I don't open it till Christmas. I did have the game pre-ordered for $54 at Amazon but I cancelled a while back like an idiot .

My question is, should I pre order it again for the $10 credit, or will I find a better deal if I just wait considering I won't be able to play it till Christmas anyway? Are there any rumors of good Black Friday deals? TIA

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']Make your husband pay for it. If you can't play it until Christmas, why should you be responsible for acquiring it?[/QUOTE]

Not the most helpful reply ;p

We share funds, and my husband is not a gamer or a shopper, and I want to make sure I get the right game for the right price.

Not going to really go down in price for Black Friday IMO. Buy it at TRU on the 11th and get a $15GC, buy another $59.99 game to go with it and get a $40 GC. First wave copies get a "premium map" which is a little better/clothier material than the normal maps that will come with the game after the first wave.

Link,
I thought about the TRU deal, but I don't really buy anything from there. I have Amazon Prime, and even buy some regular groceries from them, so the $10 credit is a true discount.

62t,
I never actually thought about just returning it if something cheaper turns up, I am leaning in that direction now, thanks for the advice.

[quote name='62t']well since you got 30 days to return it, just return it if a better deal shows up[/QUOTE]
Except that you'll have to pay for return shipping unless you stomp on the game and say it arrived damaged.

Sorry didn't know if you were buying it for console or for PC. There are a ton of Xbox/PS3 deals for Skyrim, but its slim pickins for PC deals.

Someone already mentioned the TRU deal. Honestly if I were getting in on console, going for Skyrim and MW3 with a $40 gift card, then selling MW3 on craigslist would net you Skyrim for about $20-$25 - if you'd use the TRU gift card.

If you shop at Wal-Mart, they have the $10 card preorder deal for consoles (but not for PC - so lame). However, Wal-Mart is offering price guarantees on in-ad deals from now until Dec. 25th. Since you aren't playing it from now until then, it does give you some price protection in case anyone does advertise it for a lower price before Christmas. That's the route I'm going since the PC deals on Skyrim are so terrible ($10 Target card is the best deal currently for PC). Fingers crossed for someone to put Skyrim for PC on sale by then!

I am waiting for the steam christmas sale. It should be around 29.99 (a man can wish) but probably 39.99.

With Arkham City and Saint's row 3 coming out; I think I can wait a few!

I plan on buying the PS3 version, I use a laptop so PC games aren't really an option for me at this time.

I have never had to pay return shipping for Amazon, there is the option to say the item wasn't as expected, or something to that effect, that allows the item to be returned postage paid. I have never returned a video game to them before though, are video game returns only free if the item is damaged?

I try to avoid Walmart if at all possible but that price guarantee sounds like a pretty good deal.

I have a gut feeling you are not going to find many deals for this game on black Friday. Maybe $10 difference. I would go ahead and buy it.

[quote name='ephermal']I am waiting for the steam christmas sale. It should be around 29.99 (a man can wish) but probably 39.99.

With Arkham City and Saint's row 3 coming out; I think I can wait a few![/QUOTE]

Good luck with that ... Steam has never dropped prices on games that came out a month before the holiday sale. You might save $10 on it ... most likely it will be excluded from this year's sale ... $39.99 is 'a man can wish' territory and $29.99 is 'no way in hell' territory. Just being honest, having seen what Steam does with new releases that hit right before the holidays.

Unless there's a "buy multiple games, get one at discount/free" discount, you'll be unlikely to see many discounts on Skyrim for at least the rest of the year.

If you want it for Christmas, take what you can get. KMart? Good deal, especially if you're buying two games. Otherwise, it's Amazon.

I just got back from the Skyrim Launch Party here in Los Angeles and all I can say is...you're going to have fun, no matter how you get it - or how much you saved buying it.

I am really thinking I might order from Amazon today. I have been trying to get my husband to agree to let me "try" it before Christmas. I think he is beginning to fold as long as I am willing to "open" it again on Christmas morning. =)

[quote name='GogetaSS4']If you buy 2 copies can you just buy them from TRU for the $40 gc and then return them both and keep the giftcard?[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure the $40 will be subtracted from your refund. Otherwise, everyone would do this and TRU would go out of business.

bread's done
Back