Sleeper Hits?: Let's Tap, Dokapon Kingdom

Strell

CAGiversary!
Feedback
288 (100%)
Surprised no one has talked about Let's Tap yet. It comes from Prope Studios, which is headed up by Yuji Naka. His site originally had a picture of a penguin, and apparently alluded to the idea that Naka wanted to make a game "that even a penguin could play." Naka later said, "Now I've made a game where you don't even hold the controller."

Let's Tap seems to take cues from Nintendo's own bongo controller for its own unconventional interface. You lay the Wiimote upside down on a surface, and then tap that surface. While I'm not sure what is going on here, but most speculate that the controller is able to pick up the vibrations, which can then be translated into input. This does bring up a LOT of questions for me on just how accurate it could be and whether or not any sort of honest precision can be expected, but I'd need more impressions before that could be decided.

Here's the original trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGnwL0ganu0

I'm holding out judgment on this one. I like how Wired News called it "not entirely stupid." Right now it is priced at roughly fiddy bones, and half of the game appears to be little more than tech demos and "visualizations," so I'm not sure that there's an honest amount of depth to warrant the price.

Oh, and the title song is extremely catchy too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogsDELXEPfA&feature=related

The video is dumb, but the song is delicious.

Next up, Dokapon Kingdom.

I'd ignored this until someone commented that IGN really liked it. Not a high pedigree, no, but I checked it out anyway. Apparently it is essentially Mario Party RPG from Atlus, so there's a decent amount of hope based on the developer alone.

Games can be short one-hour affairs or much longer, and the intended effect is that you and up to three friends play out a long campaign sort of thing. You start out as a typical RPG adventurer - warrior, mage, thief, etc. You travel out much like in Mario Party and can do things like fight enemies, buy items, equip weapons, gain experience, etc.

It goes further in that you can also apparently do a lot of Munchkin-y things. (Side note: Munchkin is essentially card-based D&D but hugely simplified, where you are encouraged to be a bastard and backstab friends and steal treasure and that sort of thing. Hopefully someone here knows what I am talking about - it makes for great gaming with friends, and even better gaming with friends and alcohol.) For example, you can go into an item shop and rob it, and then you become wanted, and if someone hunts you down soon enough they can get a bounty. But you can also buy a disguise kit, and then rob it disguised as another player, and then THEY get the hit put out on them.

Other options apparently include hiring a futuristic robot to assassinate other players, or getting a thief to pilfer their equipment. Other actions you can do include taking over towns to get quick revenue if you liberate them from monsters. If you fight someone and win, you can change their name or give them a stupid haircut. Apparently this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Now I won't lie - the game could suck. The graphics are very simple, bright affairs. This game is basically a port from a PS2 version that will release alongside it, with only 480p/16x9 being the differences. Additionally, due to the nature of this game, it lends itself PERFECTLY to online play, but it doesn't look like that is going to be a feature. Sadly this hugely gimps the multiplayer-friendly nature of the game, since one of the bulletpoints is to play a game with your friends over the span of, say, a few weeks (much like an extended D&D session).

This is the main reason this game might prove fun - it's meant to be played with others and actively encourages you to be a jerk. Sure you can team up and have alliance and all that sort of thing, but it's another thing entirely to try and be as underhanded as possible. Since the game is essentially an RPG, more time spent in a campaign helps you out - you'll get stronger, so maybe you'll want to attack everyone. Or you might get a lot of revenue and buy nefarious means to hurt others.

Finally, I don't know how much the PS2 version will cost, but it might be a good alternative.

Again, this thread is for sleeper hits, so I'm withholding judgment on these titles until we get more information. If this thread proves to be useful, I might make it a semi-regular thing, and include games as I see fit in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had been hoping for a while now that Amazon would offer a pre-order deal on the PS2 version of Dokapon Kingdom since they did for both Persona 4 and Eternal Poison, but since it's almost released I don't see it happening now. I probably would have bit if it were closer to $30. At this point, I'm probably going to wait and see if I can catch a deal on it.

Fiddy dollars? You've got to be kidding me.

I was totally interested in Let's Tap until I read that , now it's like whatevez.
After watching the trailer and seeing how it works, I was thinking "Alright cool, definitely pick this up when it releases for $20.00".

Strell....I am ALL ABOUT Dokapon Kingdom. CAN'T WAIT!! My buds and I are have already stacked the Mountain Dew for an all nighter starting Thursday afternoon!!:bouncy:

[quote name='Strell']Dude, you need to get some Munchkin up ins. (Adds link to original post.)

Really, everyone need to get some Munchkin up ins.[/quote]

That actually looks pretty cool. I would have LOVED that back in high school when people had more time to do shit like that.:cry:

One day I'm going to record the things people say when they play that game. It's the most ridiculous shit you ever heard. I'll have to think up good examples.

[quote name='Strell']One day I'm going to record the things people say when they play that game. It's the most ridiculous shit you ever heard. I'll have to think up good examples.[/quote]

Maybe Dokapon will give me some of that atmosphere. Just a sliver will suffice.;)

Definitely looking forward to Dokapon. Even though Munchkin almost ended a friend's marriage (pro tip: don't play Munchkin w/ your wife).

I'm actually looking forward to Let's Tap. Looks interesting enough for me.

Let's tap Let's tap, finger tapping game~

That, and Dokapon Kingdom looks like it just oozes awesomeness.

I never knew about Dokapon Kingdom, but since Atlus is behind it, seems awesome.

Lets tap looks like world class track meet for the NES but without the mat :lol:

I'll pick it up simply because it allows for gamecube controllers too. Four player mayhem, woot!

Waiting for it to drop in price though.

Dokapon Kingdom must be really awesome.

I haven't played it myself, but my girlfriend played it with her brother and his girlfriend and they played for like 6 hours straight and she insisted on buying it today.

Wow! I'll check it out later, I'm a bit busy today unfortunately.

Played Dokapon with my buddies from like 8 to 12 last night. I met up with one of them at 930 this morning to vote early and we found that we both dreamed about it last night lol! Matter of fact, while we were playing, he was making calls to Hollywood Videos to see if any of them had Dokapon to rent, cause he didn't wanna stop playing it!

Seriously, this game is fan-fucking-tastic!

Man. I traded a couple games at Gamestop today and wound up getting Izuna 2 and Space Invaders Extreme with the credit. Maybe I should take them back and get Dokapon Kingdom instead...

Waiting for a drop would be reasonable but there's a part of me that remembers a time when Atlus games would appear on shelves for two weeks and then vanish to eBay forever.

Well Dokapon Kingdom seems to be getting hard to find, at least in my area. I had to call a few stores to find it, the big box stores don't seem to carry it only Gamecrazy/GameStop.

So is Dokapon Kingdom something that my friends who aren't "gamerzzz" but like lighter stuff like Mario Kart, etc? A little more exposition, these are friends who mocked Tales of Symphonia as "that gay elf fantasy game." And two of them are gay, go figure. So are they going to like it or will they be like "RPG BOOOOORING."

[quote name='tsmvengy']So is Dokapon Kingdom something that my friends who aren't "gamerzzz" but like lighter stuff like Mario Kart, etc? A little more exposition, these are friends who mocked Tales of Symphonia as "that gay elf fantasy game." And two of them are gay, go figure. So are they going to like it or will they be like "RPG BOOOOORING."[/quote]
Well it's a very light RPG, with tons of humor and a little Monopoly thrown in. If your friends don't like silly, light hearted humor and gags then I wouldn't recommend it. It's the funny things you can do to one another, like turning their hair into a poo swirl that makes this really enjoyable with other people. And no sore losers need apply, sometimes you can get utterly screwed by random events that are out of your control and I can see someone being a bitch about it.

And yeah, you need friends to play this. At the very least, one other person.

How is Dokapon on the Wii? I've been debating which platform to get it on... my main concern is that I don't want tacked on motion controls... are there any?

Edit: Also, just to be clear, is there some kind of campaign mode that you can play through in multiplayer? With bots as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Snake2715']One player can play with Computer players.. figure I need to do that a few times to get the game down to explain to my wife.[/quote]
well that's almost perfect. that was going to be my question.

I was listening to a internet radio stream earlier and they played that LETZ TAP song for like 12 minutes. Its gonna be stuck in my head for a few weeks. -_-

LETS TAP LETS TAP FUTURE TAPPING GAME OH YEAH

Ok so Dokapon is not a huge hit with the people I thought it would be.. Thank God for the extended return period and the "new" opened copy Gamestop sold me as its going back...

I thought I would mention a lot more of my local GS got this in and its had a price drop to 29.99 now..

[quote name='Snake2715']Ok so Dokapon is not a huge hit with the people I thought it would be.. Thank God for the extended return period and the "new" opened copy Gamestop sold me as its going back...

I thought I would mention a lot more of my local GS got this in and its had a price drop to 29.99 now..[/quote]

Amazon had an Atlus sale, and it was 20... maybe is still 20.

Anyone else playing DK solo? I'm going up against two computer and first off no way a thief should be out shining me the warrior so badly and second the two of them are ganging up on me. boo to that i say. boo to that. Boo to Darklings as well. That was a scary few rounds.. really scary.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Let's Tap is amazing. Works surprisingly well. That is all.[/QUOTE]

Haha, really?

I'm kinda jealous.

[quote name='yukine']Yeah it does work well, it surprised me as well.[/quote]
I've had it sitting there for a few days now, kind of afraid to try it in case it was terrible. Two votes for "good" is enough for me - I'm going to tap tonight!

the computer is bloody cheating at Dokapon. That much I'm telling you right now. I maybe put this game away until i get some live opponents. 2 freaking computers. one has like 3 times my networth and the other just became a darkling and is targeting me.

Dokapon Kingdom is not very fun on your own, it definitely is a more multiplayer oriented game.

Get a few friends together and some drinks and you'll be up until 5:00 AM the next day!

bread's done
Back