Slim or Elite

I'd jump all over the Elite Spring bundle if I were you. It's $299 and comes with Forza 3 and Halo 3: ODST. Best Buy has been offering a $50 gift card in addition to those. Can't beat that. Whenever a slim model comes about, it'll be unknown hardware. A bit risky to drop money on immediately.

On the other hand, it's difficult to imagine hardware being any more faulty or prone to failure than every iteration of the Xbox 360 in its current form, so if it were me, I'd wait for the Slim, hope for a slot drive and wireless built in, and skip even the possibility of joining the, RROD Brigade.

I've personally had both of my 360's fail twice and everyone I've known who owns a 360 has had it fail at least once, some many times.

I'm thinking that with the Slim a redesign will probably have been tested a bit more. At the very least, they may well have removed the Ring off the console so there'll be no ring on the surface to go red...

the slim will use smaller parts, which means it will produce less heat and less likely to fail. So I would wait.

Do we really think Microsoft has made a failproof 360? Get an Elite now, enjoy the 120gb HD (which likely won't fit on the "slim"), enjoy the free ODST (with Halo Reach beta) and Forza 3, and enjoy the $50 giftcard that many stores are giving (a free year of Live? Another game?).

RROD's suck, but the repair process is painless and free if you're within warranty.

Nothing about Slim has even been totally confirmed yet. Kinda quick to be jumping the gun based on speculation isn't it?

If it was me, I would definitely get the Elite bundle that includes both Forza and ODST or the Final Fantasy bundle. It really depends on what type of genre you're after. Seeing as slim has not even been confirmed yet, it may not be wise waiting for it...

Get the elite. My Elite RROD'd this week and I picked up a new bundle. Probably just donate the repaired one to my brother. Who knows if the slim will actually become a reality. For all we know the pictures are from the next gen of 360 (not that I think they are).

[quote name='62t']the slim will use smaller parts, which means it will produce less heat and less likely to fail. So I would wait.[/QUOTE]

1 - Parts could also be closer together, which could cause more overheating

2 - Smaller box, less room to control airflow, which could be a problem

Both can be remedied by the overall design & parts of the machine.

The point?

We have no idea until the slim comes out.

I'd say wait. But it's not true yet.

- It seems Microsoft is opening up the way in which you save games (via USB for now), so it might include HDD's later since the leaked images show it possibly going the PS3 route for HDD's

- It's probably going to be more reliable than current 360's

- Power Brick will also probably be smaller

just get the ps3 slim

dont worry about your achievements or any of that useless stuff, youll be able to play online for free and if you miss the xbox controller there is an adaptor that allows it's use on the ps3

[quote name='kyleboller']just get the ps3 slim

dont worry about your achievements or any of that useless stuff, youll be able to play online for free and if you miss the xbox controller there is an adaptor that allows it's use on the ps3[/QUOTE]

OP is asking about 360 not PS3... I guess the only main concern here is the reliability.

PS3 slim is only been out for about 6 months. and I can't vouch for reliability just yet. all i know it gets alot hotter then my phat PS3.

Jasper been out over a year. and RROD is pretty much gone, everyone i know in RL that has a jasper has not run into any problem of RROD.

to the OP i would get the elite now. new model for now is uncertain.

[quote name='bardockkun']Nothing about Slim has even been totally confirmed yet. Kinda quick to be jumping the gun based on speculation isn't it?[/QUOTE]

Nothing has been confirmed AT ALL about the slim, yet people consistently talk on here as if it's coming tomorrow. There has been no word except a single post on a Chinese forum in regards to "slim" motherboard pics.

OP, if you want to play the system NOW, buy an elite. If you have something else to occupy your time and can wait, then wait.

If MS releases a slim model that is more attractive to the eye and makes less noise that would be awesome. I don't see it happening, it would be too complicated with the removable hard drives (lol @ MS). Plus I believe they are going to release a new console for the holiday season in 2011 (or 2012), and you have to assume they'll be cutting the X360 support within a few years of that.

I just don't see MS going through the trouble of branding a new X360 console when they are so close to releasing a new one. Is there even any legitimacy to this rumor?

edit: Somebody linked me to think on a different site, it was just posted today I think

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2010/03/slim_xbox_360_spotted.html

Soooo...sooo....obviously an HD DVD player add-on.......

Last edited by a moderator:
a slim line 360 could also be barebones, where you'd need to buy more adapters to have added features function. I'm just hoping they make it so if someone bumps the table your xbox is on it won't skip the CD and scratch your disc beyond repair as well as the cooling issue.

when GS is selling "new" items that normally only appear during Christmas, something must be up. MS said they'r next xbox incarnation should have natal built into...so like i said bare bones functionality before, but the same price as a fully loaded elite (with less HDD). idk, can you wait til Christmas? Otherwise, the GS bundle is the best deal i've seen on the elite since never.

You know this exact same thing happened with the original Xbox, rumors of a slim caused people to wait and of course we know now that never materialized . Worry about what is here right now and if the system ever does get officially announced sell your old one and move on.

bread's done
Back