Slim Xbox 360 in the future? I hope so...

seen

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Saw this article on Cnet "Forget the PS3 Slim. How about a slim Xbox 360?" Click the
Over the past few months, much of the talk in the video game industry has surrounded Sony and its rumored PlayStation 3 Slim. The product, if it exists, promises to be smaller and, more importantly, cheaper.
This console needs to slim down, too.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm excited about the possibility of the Slim hitting store shelves. I've called on Sony multiple times to drop the price of the PlayStation 3. I believe that it's the key to Sony staying relevant during this generation of game consoles.

But as the PS3 Slim kept us guessing, a report hit the Web on WednesdayXbox 360 models--the Arcade and the Elite. Great. But what about a refresh?

The Xbox 360 is a beast. It's huge. Its DVD drive is extremely loud. And its power supply is both big and heavy.

The Xbox 360 is also not nearly as reliable as competing products. Since its release, we've been inundated with story after story about the "red ring of death"--an issue that occurs when three red rings around the Xbox 360's power buttons start flashing, indicating that the console is inoperable and will need to be shipped back to Microsoft to have it fixed.

The number of reported RROD instances has dropped in recent months, but it has left Microsoft with a black eye from which it has yet to recover.
So as Sony improves its hardware offerings, I think that it's clear that Microsoft needs to do the same. It needs a slim Xbox 360.

Why it's necessary
I think that a slim Xbox 360 would help solve almost all of Microsoft's problems. It would potentially fit nicely into existing home theater set-ups. If it lived up to its name, the Slim would also ditch the power brick. Its new power supply would be smaller and much more manageable. Those two updates alone would make many current Xbox 360 owners happy.

But it goes beyond that. A slim Xbox 360 can be Microsoft's "do-over." It will address the issues the console has experienced, like that awfully loud DVD drive. It will also fix the Xbox 360's failure issues that just don't seem to go away. More importantly, it could address one of the console's biggest shortcomings: a lack of an HD drive.

Yes, I believe that a slim Xbox 360 should feature a Blu-ray drive. I know that it would be like giving money to the enemy, format backer Sony, but given Blu-ray's rise in popularity this year, I don't think that Microsoft has much of a choice. Until streaming HD content has reached critical mass and entered millions of homes, Blu-ray is still the leading, next-gen home entertainment format.

Although we can currently access streaming content through the Xbox 360, it's not enough. A Blu-ray drive allows Microsoft to fend off Sony's core argument, which states that because the PlayStation 3 has a Blu-ray drive, it's worth its $400 price tag. It's a valid argument. It's also an argument to which Microsoft, without a Blu-ray drive in its Xbox 360, doesn't have an answer. That's unacceptable.

Looking ahead
At this point, I have no doubt that Sony will be releasing the PS3 Slim sometime in the near future. It makes perfect sense for the company, since it's trying desperately to regain lost market share.

Microsoft should follow suit. The Xbox 360 is a great console. I enjoy playing games on it. But it's not perfect. It's in desperate need of a refresh. And a slim Xbox 360 might just be the way to make more consumers happy. More importantly, it could help Microsoft fend off Sony's rise in the market if a PS3 Slim is released.
claiming that Microsoft might be planning to ditch the Xbox 360 Pro in favor of offering just two
link to see the full article in text format. This picture could be a fake but looks good if it isn't.

xbox360slim.jpg

[quote name='Cnet.com']The Xbox 360 is a beast. It's huge. Its DVD drive is extremely loud. And its power supply is both big and heavy.
[/quote]
This alone makes me hope one is in the works.

[quote name='mtxbass1']You actually think that picture looks good?

Seriously?[/QUOTE]
No I do not, but think the idea of a slim 360 is awesome. If this is already created, great because that means it will be released sooner.

SleepDebt; all the old 360 stuff won't be supported like HD-DVD.

[quote name='seen']No I do not, but think the idea of a slim 360 is awesome. If this is already created, great because that means it will be released sooner.
[/QUOTE]

It's pretty obvious that picture is fake FYI.

[quote name='westbank1']i can only imagine the overheating or general problems that a slim 360 will bring.[/QUOTE]
Exactly. Imagine cramming all of the shit inside a 360 into a space half the size.

Bad call.

That looks painfully fake and unnecessary to me. I don't think the Xbox 360 needs a slim model, personally.

wtf is up with console re-designs? no one cares how the console looks, they only care about the games and price. atleast thats me

Why do people want Bluray in the 360? It would cause a big issue for devs. They were already pissed when the 360 first came out and had 2 skus one with a HDD and the other without. Hell I would have rather had Toshiba bite the bullet and spend the extra for M$ to put a HD-DVD drive in the 360 when HD-DVDs first came out. Sure devs would have not liked it because then they would have to make games on HD and DVD or just DVD so not single out one market. Hell M$ could have made some sort of deal for the ones that already had a 360 and bought the new one with a built in HD-DVD drive or they could have sold the ad on and found a way to make it so games could have been played on it.

wheres the harddrive , since a hardrive is designed for the current 360 would a slim need
a slim hd?

and with all the problems 360 have with rrod i could see a slim actually raising the rate of
failure

Will this one come with a BIG power button? I need to know when my box red rings. Can't see it if it's so small. :p

I'm not too crazy for new slimmer stuff, especially if the bigger design was pretty faulty to begin with.

Bah forget 360 slim. Might as well make a 360 that has proper airflow + cooling so it doesn't have to sound like a tornado. I don't know why they like using small fans @ high rpms. They could use another bigger fan on the top when it sits horizontally adjacent to the power button near the heatsinks and run it as low rpms. There's nothing there if I recall correctly. Also, might as well throw out the 360 specific HD and just use 2.5 inch like the PS3.

If I were the asshole who designed this thing that's what I would have done.

Uh oh... somebody better shut this thread down before we have another kotaku/CAG faux pas... lol

[quote name='seen']It probably is fake, but I thought it made the OP look nicer ;)[/QUOTE]

As I said, without the pic it would have been a wall-of text

That's really ugly.

The biggest problem facing a 360 redesign is the following: Swappable hard drive and Memory card slot placement.

ya i thought about 360 redesignm and would be curious how they would handle the hdd. They are pretty damn big. Maybe go internal hdd and develop a transfer kit?

Slim Xbox 360?? well maybe not mainly because How Will they design something to universally fit the Hard drive??

unless they make it "only" lay flat so its thin and the HDD fits on top in the center.

I know the Next Chipset after Jasper is called Valhalla which will shrink from 65nm Jasper to 45nm Valhalla, and will possibly combine both CPU and GPU on one chip making it smaller still.

The PS3 Slim will definitely get here soon. Mainly because Sony is already making the 45nm CPU and GPU, also the PS3 Slim, will take the Power Supply External making it smaller, the 360 already has its PS external and it as big as a PS3.

The PS3 slim, will also have a smaller Mainboard and smaller Heat Sink and cooler because of the small 45nm CPU and 45nm GPU which stay very cool and use very little power.

The Size and Cooling fan of the current PS3 is that Big because of the Heat sink and cooling needed to keep the launch 90nm CPU and 90nm GPU cool enough.

I think it'd be a bad move on Microsoft's part. It will piss off a good deal of 360 owners. The only reason for a slim Xbox would be more the next generation console.

[quote name='evyrew']Uh oh... somebody better shut this thread down before we have another kotaku/CAG faux pas... lol[/QUOTE]

I remember that hahaha.

If that was real I would think that Microsoft had completely given up on themselves. Like a fat girl who tries to wear short skirts and belly shirts.

However, if it was RROD proof and didn't sound like a Wind tunnel, I would buy it.

This is retarded to even consider. MS doesn't need to compete with Sony because they are destroying the PS3 in console sales. The Xbox 360 is already small enough. Why would anyone with half a brain even consider this is going to happen much less think that HORRIBLY done fake ass picture is anything even close to real?

^Yo hater, yes Malik112099; I'm talking to you. If you actually read through the thread I acknowledge it probably is fake. Also some of your comments are borderline ignorant, so I won't get into it further.

Also if it were to be re-designed I would expect the memory cards and hard drives to have a special migration kit included with the console.

Last edited by a moderator:
Incorporating the power supply into the console itself would be great, and hopefully MS can continue to make the 360 quieter and less failure-prone with future revisions. But a completely new design, I seriously doubt it. There's just no need for it and it would only introduce a bunch of compatibility problems.

And yeah, I'm real sure that devs are just chomping at the bit to release Blu-ray 360 games that 99% of the user base wouldn't be able to play. :roll: Where do they find the people who write these articles?

They eventually going to release a version of the console that Natal built in. I don't know if you would consider that a redesign or not.

if youve ever opened up a 360 youd see that if they took the exact same components and just swapped out for smaller pieces(dvd drive cover, fan cover) the 360 model could be smaller but only really by a little bit. And i dont need a slim 360 and to be honest i dont want one either because of both my memories of the ps2 slim and because i hate that sony stripped the things from the ps3 to cut the price and if MS does the same thing to make the 360 smaller i would be angry enough to shoot up MS headquarters with a bunch of hobos with water-guns .

bread's done
Back