Slims = More sensitive to scratches?

Sweetbabyjezuz

CAGiversary!
I just bought my first ever PS2 since i figured i won't get a 3 until wayyyy later.

Anyway I bought all the essentials with it (it's a silver slim ps2) such as

GTA:SA
Jak 3
FFX
MGS2
MGS3: Subsistence
Gran Turismo 4
God of War

I bought 'em all used from EBGames, which I've bought about 17/20 of my gamecube games from and have never had a problem until this purchase.

Well the FFX game I got i don't know what's wrong but it doesn't even play, there's some brown gunk in the very center of the CD where it snaps into the case but i didn't think that mattered. Same goes for Jak 3, that doesn't play on their either.

As for God of War it plays up until you get to the very 1st save point, and if i try to save, it just sits frozen on the glowing God of War symbol after you hit "yes" save.

:( So that's 3 out of 7, that's not very good prospects. I think I have up to 7 days to return (it's been 4) so i'm going to go tomorrow to the mall and see if I can get replacements for all of them.

But I was just wondering are the Slim ps2's any worse when it comes to reading scratched discs because I would assume EBGames would "test" the games beforehand.

I was wondering about that too. My copy of Resident Evil 3(PS1) seems to be skipping some CG cutscenes in the middle of the game. But when I pop it in the Playstation, it works like a charm. The disc only has a couple of light scratches, so it should be working fine.

[quote name='Sweetbabyjezuz']I just bought my first ever PS2 since i figured i won't get a 3 until wayyyy later.

Anyway I bought all the essentials with it (it's a silver slim ps2) such as

GTA:SA
Jak 3
FFX
MGS2
MGS3: Subsistence
Gran Turismo 4
God of War

I bought 'em all used from EBGames, which I've bought about 17/20 of my gamecube games from and have never had a problem until this purchase.

Well the FFX game I got i don't know what's wrong but it doesn't even play, there's some brown gunk in the very center of the CD where it snaps into the case but i didn't think that mattered. Same goes for Jak 3, that doesn't play on their either.

As for God of War it plays up until you get to the very 1st save point, and if i try to save, it just sits frozen on the glowing God of War symbol after you hit "yes" save.

:( So that's 3 out of 7, that's not very good prospects. I think I have up to 7 days to return (it's been 4) so i'm going to go tomorrow to the mall and see if I can get replacements for all of them.

But I was just wondering are the Slim ps2's any worse when it comes to reading scratched discs because I would assume EBGames would "test" the games beforehand.[/quote]

As far as that brown gunk, they come back that way after getting refurbished. I'd assume its the stuff that they put on the games to do the resurfacing.

I've never had a problem with my Slim PS2 reading any games, but I don't really have any scratched ones. Also, none of the game stores test the games before selling them. They are supposed to check them before they take them in trade (I'd like to assume they check them before they sell too).

I also have the silver slim PS2. I just tried a couple of very scratched rental games and they all worked fine. Perhaps the discs you received were refurbished improperly?

Yeah they probably were, that might be it, the others that do work don't seem to have that. The only other game that gave me any hint of trouble was Metal Gear Solid 2, and it was just chopping during the intro movie (the pre-menu intro movie not the in-game intro movie) otherwise it worked fine.

Then again i haven't gotten to far in my other games :\

Ah well guess i'll go back to the mall tomorrow and return those 3 and hope they have replacements.

I just got one too, I usually stay a generation or two behind the current gen. Before I picked it up I only had an N64 lol.

god of war froze up on alot of people ps2's mine included. alot of peopel said it only happened with older ps2's but since you have a slim one that obviously debunks that. ive had my ps2 for roughly 6 or 5 years so its probably the game not your system as far as God of war goes. id try picking up a gh version of God of war maybe it has that bug fixed in it.

since youre new to the ps2 id suggest you pick up the first 3 games in the ratchet and clank series theyre the best platformers ever.

I think it's most likely a problem with the discs since the slim PS2s are suppose to work even better than the fat ones. Also I've had quite a few experiences with defective discs where the game would just completely freeze, not save or not play the cutscene when it was suppose to (weirdest glitch ever) but when I popped in a new version the game played perfectly fine.

Yeah it was definately the games, I brought 'em all back to EB Games and got them replaced, they had other copies of Jak 3 and God of War (both of which have worked so far) but didn't have FF X

so I got Dragon Quest VIII instead, and then went to Rhino and picked up an FF X they had there as well as Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga (not complete but i'm not a collecter i just want to play heh)

Glad you got it resolved! Everything is working fine now, I assume?

[quote name='Sweetbabyjezuz']Yeah it was definately the games, I brought 'em all back to EB Games and got them replaced, they had other copies of Jak 3 and God of War (both of which have worked so far) but didn't have FF X

so I got Dragon Quest VIII instead, and then went to Rhino and picked up an FF X they had there as well as Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga (not complete but i'm not a collecter i just want to play heh)[/quote]

bread's done
Back