Sly Cooper Collection for PS3. Playable in HD and in 3D.

[quote name='8bitArtist']the move mini games arent included to get the platinum in any of the 3 sly games. it has its own trophy set like a psn game.[/QUOTE]

Nice, so there are 3 sets of platinums and an additional set of trophies? I had completely forgotten about the Move stuff - maybe I'll actually have a use for it now ;).

Does anybody happen to know what firmware version this needs? (I think you can find it under game information if you press Triangle on the disc.) The reason I ask is that my PS3 is still on 3.41 for the jailbreak. I want to buy the game, but I don't want to buy the game and open it up only to find out that I can't play it or return it. :/

gamestop does have them, but it seems like they arent out on the shelves yet. just ask the guy working. i just got mine but havent popped it in yet.

[quote name='Access_Denied']Does anybody happen to know what firmware version this needs? (I think you can find it under game information if you press Triangle on the disc.) The reason I ask is that my PS3 is still on 3.41 for the jailbreak. I want to buy the game, but I don't want to buy the game and open it up only to find out that I can't play it or return it. :/[/QUOTE]

upgrade your firmware loser

[quote name='ssjmichael']upgrade your firmware loser[/QUOTE]

Right. And why would I do that? So I can lose all of the homebrew I want to play? So I can no longer work on the game that I've been developing for the past several weeks? So I can completely block all access that I have to my own hardware? Sounds good to me. :roll:

Don't be a dick about it. I have 2 PS3s, both on 3.41, and neither of them are going to get updated. I just want to know if I can play the games that I buy. If nobody wants to tell me what firmware it requires, that's fine. I'll just assume it requires 3.50, and rather than paying for the game, I'll just download it and use a patched EBOOT to play it. Fine by me.

Man, a lot of these trophies are so easy... and it really helps that the game isn't that at all challenging (at least, not yet). Love the art style as well... I can't believe I slept on the Sly Cooper games. ;)

the 1st sly is a super easy plat (took about 8-10 hours to get). prob a 2 outta 10. sly cooper 2 is about a 3 outta 10 difficulty wise. never played sly 3 but i dont see those trophies being challenging really. so long as you get all the bottles, youll 100% it in 1 play through and IGN has old ass bottle walkthroughs on their FAQs.

Yeah, the bottles sometimes gives me trouble, because some are hidden so well, but I generally find that most bottles can be collected in one run of the level. I'll have to look up that bottles guide if I ever have trouble locating the missing ones. ;)

sly 3 was no more challenging than 2, but i found it the least enjoyable game in the series by far. Also a shame they changed the voice actress for carmelito to someone irritating to listen to.
Wonder if they will eventually release the collection on the psn.

Got shipping conf from Gamefly on this today.. says keep it price is $32.99.. debating whether to s do that so i can get The Fight or Assassins Creed Brotherhood right away..

I heard that in order to Platinum the game you need to play mini games with the MOVE. Anyone know if this is true? I don't want to buy MOVE, but I do want to Platinum!

[quote name='BennyWii']I heard that in order to Platinum the game you need to play mini games with the MOVE. Anyone know if this is true? I don't want to buy MOVE, but I do want to Platinum![/QUOTE]

you heard wrong

Just got my copy today and I'm liking it so far.. i remember the ps2 versions as well :)
With the trophies, are any of them missable in the story or can you go back?

[quote name='CaptainJoel']It'll be Sucker Punch.[/QUOTE]

you cant say for sure. nothing has been announced. infamous 2 is still quite a ways away.

So question for those of you that have this. How do the graphics look? If you are not a trophy whore and you own and deeply love this series is it worth buying for the upgraded graphics and ability to play on an HDTV? Most of the videos I have seen posted really do not look that different from playing on my PS2 on a standard def TV.

[quote name='MSI Magus']So question for those of you that have this. How do the graphics look? If you are not a trophy whore and you own and deeply love this series is it worth buying for the upgraded graphics and ability to play on an HDTV? Most of the videos I have seen posted really do not look that different from playing on my PS2 on a standard def TV.[/QUOTE]

I just started playing last night and it definitely seems improved to me. One thing for sure - the text is sharp and unlike if I was playing on the PS2 via component cables, it is not a jaggy-fest. It is pretty clear they upped the resolution but, on the other hand, the textures/etc are not really changed. And the cutscene movies are not changed - they are just windowed into a smaller rectangle in the HD display. The gameplay itself is full widescreen though (a definite improvement). So at first glance, perhaps, from a distance, it doesn't appear too different but the sharper edges/widescreen make it much easier to look at. I'd love to do a side-by-side comparison but that would require moving my PS2 and finding my original copy of Sly ;).

[quote name='MSI Magus']So question for those of you that have this. How do the graphics look? If you are not a trophy whore and you own and deeply love this series is it worth buying for the upgraded graphics and ability to play on an HDTV? Most of the videos I have seen posted really do not look that different from playing on my PS2 on a standard def TV.[/QUOTE]

I /hate/ trophies and achievements. I don't go out of my way to get them.

I own copies of the original three games, and I have played them on a backwards compatible 60 gig PS3.

I can honestly say the graphics are greatly improved in this version. Everything is very crisp, especially in Sly 2.

I'm convinced that the following is just my impression: the game also seems more responsive. It /feels/ like there is less input lag, at least compared to playing the PS2 games on a backwards compatible ps3.

The only issue I have with this re-release is that there seem to be some sound glitches in Sly 1. For example, the 'sneaking around' sound that one normally gets when near an enemy can sometimes glitch and remain on at all times. This isn't a huge issue, but I like using that as an additional hint that someone may be right behind me. Additionally the music for Mz Ruby's rhythm based boss fight is out of sync; in the original Sly 1 you would tap the needed keys right when the bass line would OOmph. This threw me off until I turned the music off altogether for that fight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you both! I just kept watching trailers and what not where they were bragging about the new HD graphics, but I could not really see a difference! Nice to hear that even if this is not as huge of a leap as the GoW collection made that it is note worthy!

Yeah I just inverted my controls.. i wish there was on option to adjust the screen framing. A lot of my games have it where the HUD bleeds over the edge of the screen so you can't see stuff. Not too bad in sly but its annoying. :)

Anyone have an issue with inverted controls in Sly 2. I can't separate the x and y invert... is this normal? Like i like invert y but not x having both invert is annoying :(

[quote name='Gourd']Additionally the music for Mz Ruby's rhythm based boss fight is out of sync; in the original Sly 1 you would tap the needed keys right when the bass line would OOmph. This threw me off until I turned the music off altogether for that fight.[/QUOTE]

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who had that problem. Having already played the first one I was like WTF?

[quote name='Sinistar']Anyone have an issue with inverted controls in Sly 2. I can't separate the x and y invert... is this normal? Like i like invert y but not x having both invert is annoying :([/QUOTE]

Unforunately, that is both normal and annoying.

Anyone know if the whole collection is playable in 3d? I know I read mini games are.. my buddy just got 3d support on his hdtv & ps3.. so I was gonna bring the collection over there to play in 3d :)

[quote name='Hell Monkey']I swear this is the only game no one is discounting for Black Friday.[/QUOTE]

Sadly enough. Although, we all know it'll be bargain bin material shortly.

[quote name='dragonjud']Sadly enough. Although, we all know it'll be bargain bin material shortly.[/QUOTE]

Where have you heard this?

Really not feeling the love for the Pirate Ship Minigame in Sly 3.

Very slow paced, and I can never quite line up the instant kill shots.

[quote name='Gourd']Really not feeling the love for the Pirate Ship Minigame in Sly 3.

Very slow paced, and I can never quite line up the instant kill shots.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that was one of the few parts of the game that I found boring/dull.

All of the trophies are story, bottle or other mission related right? Just want to make sure before I start that just playing through the game normally that I can always go back and get the trophies.

youll get most/all the trophies just by playing through the game. every trophy is either A) story related and cant be missed B) bottle related (sly 1 only) or C) buy specific ability from thief net.

The game is great! It doesn't look like a PS2 game at all. It's $29.99 on Amazon now, a great buy IMO. Or get it from K-mart for $39.99 and get $15 gaming coupon back.

Does anyone know a good Sly 2 video for collecting all the hint bottles? Everything I seem to find is a general walk through where the person takes care of both the story missions and bottles at the same time.

bread's done
Back