Smallest TV for Gaming?

nootch

CAG Veteran
I posted a topic earlier today asking for advice on TV's to game on in my dorm room and size is an issue. Having little experience about gaming on smaller TV's I was wondering what is the smallest TV anyone out there is comftorable gaming on? Personally I think like 15" would be fine as that is the rough size of my computer monitor. Any responses would be useful for my quest for a TV.

Depends on the game. Some things are fine on a very small screen while others lose quite a lot. For instance, the early seen in FF X where Sin attaks the ship. Without a big screen to let the massive enemy loom over the player's perspective it just isn't what the developer had in mind.

You can go for middle ground by using a headset that simulates a large screen TV. Be warned, though, a lot of them use low resolution LCDs and completely fail to give the desired effect. Instead of creating the impression of watching a big screen they instead create the impression of watching a tiny screen very close up, which is exactly what is happening.

if u do have a descent computer monitor, than i'd just go with that. u can get adapters which will let u play ur consoles on that.

maybe a 17"? i game on a 18 inch LCD for my pc games, and a 34 HDTV widescreen on my tv, so i'm spoiled when it comes to size. if you've got the money, you could try out one of those LCD tv?pc montor in one. it's got a pc connection for your comp, and connections so you can also use it for a tv. that would dut down on space. otherwise, i'd go for either a 17" LCD TV, or maybe a 13" crt TV, you could snag one for less than $100 with no problem

I use a 20" panasonic tv that I picked up on sale at Walmart a little over a year ago for about $130. Nice picture and two composite imputs make it good for dorm room gaming, and we've had no real problems playing 4 player spilt screen games like mario kart or halo on it. 19" or 20" is fine for the 4 player because your room is probably so small that you won't be that far from the tv. you can pick up a decent 19" tv pretty cheap if you watch the weekly ads

I actually played my PS2 on my black and white portable TV once, but that's probably not what you're looking for. You could probably play it on one of those 5 in. color tvs

The first TV I played games on was a 9" b&w television monitor that I took from my old Commodore64 (my parents gave everything away except the monitor). I played Shining Force 2 in black and white, and it was awesome. When I first went to college, I had a 13" TV/VCR, now I have a 20" TV, and I'm getting upgraded to a 27" next week (I hope).
In short, there's no smallest TV that you can play games on, however I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than 20".

I've got a 25' RCA, and that's about as small as I would go if you plan on playing any split screen games. 15" should be more than adequate for single player though.

[quote name='epobirs']Depends on the game. Some things are fine on a very small screen while others lose quite a lot. For instance, the early seen in FF X where Sin attaks the ship. Without a big screen to let the massive enemy loom over the player's perspective it just isn't what the developer had in mind.[/quote]

Yes, but that's just opinion. I'd say 13" tvs are still big enough to enjoy a gaming experience.

I use a 13" RCA TV in my bedroom for gaming, and while it isn't exactly the best experience ever, it does its job. I even watch movies on it. :)

i use a 13 inch toshiba tv in my dorm room.......it works fine with gaming......though i wouldn't use it for more than two player split-screen........i bought it at best buy last year for 80 bucks

13"= smallest for single player
19/20"= smallest for four-player split screen

Of course, as large as possible always seems to be optimal.

19 is the smallest I could deal with. but as a rule for every foot you are going to be away from the tv the screen should get bigger 3 inches so

10 feet away 30 inch screen
20 feet away 60 inch screen
5 " " 15 inch screen
etc. i know i worded it wrong.

I have a 27 inch rca flat screen and I am 6 feet away but I had to go all out and get a nice tv my old one blew after 8 years of great service.

Got 10" right here, but as for TV's, I played through DWVII and FFX on a 13" TV-VCR without much incident. I wouldn't recommend it though.

bread's done
Back