Smartphone Upgrade.....

aleraiders

CAGiversary!
So i'm finally tired of using the old traditional flip open "unmodern" phones and i've decided to switch over to a 4G network.

Which carrier has the best deal? for phones and plans??

im somewhat leaning towards T-Mobile only because most of my friends have T-Mobile.

Any suggestions??

First you need to decide what kind of plan you want and how much money you're looking to spend. Do you talk a lot on the phone? What about texting? And then if you're going to get a smartphone, you have to get a data plan as well. Also, are you trying to get a deal on a phone that involves a contract?

Next, decide what kind of operating system or OS, you want. iOS(iPhone), Android and Blackberry are really all there is to choose from. Now if you wanted T-Mobile, I'm pretty sure they don't carry the iPhone, so that leaves you with the Android or Blackberry. I would strongly suggest going with Android. There are different versions of Android out there, the newest being 4.0 I believe, with the newer versions correlating with the newer and more expensive phones.

I need some more details before I could recommend you a plan or a phone.

I just bought an unlocked GSM Galaxy Nexus from Google Play and hooked it up to Straight Talk prepaid with an ATT SIM to test it out. $46.95 taxes included per month for unlimited Talk, Texts, and Data(they say you should stay under 2GB per month, I'm a no tethering light data user). The service is great so far for everywhere I travel. Going to port my main mobile number to Google Voice. I'm really happy to be paying half of what I was to Verizon.

This helped my decision and as Cheapasses I recommend you give it a quick read.
http://androidandme.com/2012/05/opi...our-wireless-contract-and-switch-to-pre-paid/

[quote name='aleraiders']i just seen t mobile has a B1G1 free on some smart phones....

http://deals.t-mobile.com/bogo

what do you guys think???

im really thinking about jumping on this deal tomorrow morning[/QUOTE]Well are you trying to sign up for a family plan? Cause that's what the deal is for. You have to purchase and activate both phones at the same time and then send in a mail-in rebate form to get your money back for the 2nd phone.

[quote name='PimpLimp']Well are you trying to sign up for a family plan? Cause that's what the deal is for. You have to purchase and activate both phones at the same time and then send in a mail-in rebate form to get your money back for the 2nd phone.[/QUOTE]

yea basically.....at least 2 maybe 3 phones

what im trying to ask is........is this the best deal out right now? besides the google nexus/pre paid plan that TC was talking about

[quote name='aleraiders']yea basically.....at least 2 maybe 3 phones

what im trying to ask is........is this the best deal out right now? besides the google nexus/pre paid plan that TC was talking about[/QUOTE]Well if you're looking to get the Galaxy S II like shrike mentioned, then yeah I'd say it's a pretty good deal. At least when it comes to the price of the phones and if you don't mind dealing with the rebate. And then picking a plan is really up to you. Make sure to read the fine print though. You do have to sign up for a 2-year contract and they charge you a "standard" $35/line activation fee.

Like many of the users are saying...

If you have been on a flip phone on a while, changing to a smartphone will be a major change to your bill

Smartphones require you to have a data plan (most cost $30+)

I wouldnt worry to much about the phone, but the plan to make the phone work 100%

is there anyway to buy android apps without using a credit card?? ive seen the apple pre paid cards and ive seen some android game cards for $10 but that just buys you 10 games....

[quote name='aleraiders']is there anyway to buy android apps without using a credit card?? ive seen the apple pre paid cards and ive seen some android game cards for $10 but that just buys you 10 games....[/QUOTE]

Right now, no. But very soon, the apps that you buy can be put on your bill.

[quote name='aleraiders']is there anyway to buy android apps without using a credit card?? ive seen the apple pre paid cards and ive seen some android game cards for $10 but that just buys you 10 games....[/QUOTE]
You can always buy apps through Amazon.

Who actually pays for apps? There are plenty of free ones that are perfectly sufficent compared to apps with a cost.

I hope OP goes with an Android phone like he is thinking.

android-eating-apple.png

[quote name='dohdough']You can always buy apps through Amazon.[/QUOTE]

I forgot about Amazons appstore. You can use amazon credit for that.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']I forgot about Amazons appstore. You can use amazon credit for that.[/QUOTE]
Yup. And they have a free app everyday. Sometimes really good ones.

bread's done
Back