SMT: Devil Summoner 2 w/ Plush Doll Available For Pre-order - $39.99

earvcunanan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
300 (100%)
Atlus just recently announced that Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abbadon will be hitting US shores on May 12, 2009 for $39.99.

Gamefly has the game listed in their database:
http://www.gamefly.com/products/detail.asp?pid=135590

Pre-order here:

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=73846
http://www.amazon.com/Shin-Megami-T..._2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1233367192&sr=8-2

54893.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mkelehan']Atlus is saying this is "extremely limited." So, if you want it, get it quick.[/QUOTE]

Is it going to be extremely limited before or after the 8th reprint?

The Atlus PR said that the first print run which will be limited will include the plushie and all subsequent print runs(if there are any) will not include the plushie.

[quote name='cycophuk']Can someone elabortate on this or post a link where I can read the details?[/quote]

It's not really an "expanded" version of Nocturne. It's essentially the same game as the one released here a few years ago, except with Raidou taking Dante's place in the game.

[quote name='flames_of_chaos']The Atlus PR said that the first print run which will be limited will include the plushie and all subsequent print runs(if there are any) will not include the plushie.[/QUOTE]

Ah. Well then, whatever.

Just wehn I though Atlus would finally take the jump into current gen & bring Persona + SMT to 360 (I honestly pray every night. Srsly), they rope us back in with Devil Summoner 2 for PS2 :whistle2:(

Why would Atlus want to spend more money coding on a harder system when the PS2 has more of a userbase then 360 and PS3 combined?

I'm tempted to flip as well but that plushie is damn cute.

I still can't be too excited for this title after paying $12 for the first Devil Summoner that wasn't too hot. I tried to play it throughly but ended up getting bored and putting it in my backlog after a good 10+ hours playing it.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']Just wehn I though Atlus would finally take the jump into current gen & bring Persona + SMT to 360 (I honestly pray every night. Srsly), they rope us back in with Devil Summoner 2 for PS2 :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

Personally, I'd rather that they stick to the older systems unless they have a jaw-dropping new engine or something. Last thing I want is something like Disgaea 3, which seems like it could have been a PS2 game...

[quote name='fujishig']Personally, I'd rather that they stick to the older systems unless they have a jaw-dropping new engine or something. Last thing I want is something like Disgaea 3, which seems like it could have been a PS2 game...[/QUOTE]

Even if they came up with some jaw dropping new engine I would rather them put it on the PS2 and be able to get it for $35 off Amazon then to have purty graphics but it cost $60.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Even if they came up with some jaw dropping new engine I would rather them put it on the PS2 and be able to get it for $35 off Amazon then to have purty graphics but it cost $60.[/quote]

I shall echo this sentiment. The games are great, and the price is incredible, considering all the extra goodies included. Plus, with development costs as low as they are, they can afford to crank them out on the PS2 at such a low price.

I don't know how many people bought Persona 4 (I know it's a hell of a lot more than those who bought Devil Summoner or Nocturne) but I'd wager heavily that SMT games would sell a lot less on the 360 or PS3. I know Namco said they were "satisfied" with the sales for ToV, but then again, that's a fairly big franchise. You say Tales of in America, and you'll get a lot more recognition than if you said Shin Megami Tensei. /rant off

[quote name='Nirron']I don't know how many people bought Persona 4 (I know it's a hell of a lot more than those who bought Devil Summoner or Nocturne) but I'd wager heavily that SMT games would sell a lot less on the 360 or PS3. I know Namco said they were "satisfied" with the sales for ToV, but then again, that's a fairly big franchise. You say Tales of in America, and you'll get a lot more recognition than if you said Shin Megami Tensei. /rant off[/quote]

That's an interesting point actually. SMT may not be as widely recognised as the Tales series (that's debatable though, I personally think otherwise), but right now, I believe the Persona offshoots definitely are more "mainstream" than Tales, especially after the breakout success of P3 and the "hype" P4 got.
When was the last non-Square/FF JRPG you can recall that got that much attention to it before its release?

Not to say they're undeserving, cause I like the SMT games more than Tales anyway, but ask the average non JRPG gamer which series is more familiar to him, and I'll bet Persona would be ahead of Tales.

A new SMT/Persona on current gen consoles would surely sell more than something like ToV did, no doubt. Tales hasn't "broken out" into mainstream appeal just yet.

[quote name='Brian9824']FYI reviews i have seen place this game in the 9.4 range citing vast improvements with the battle system, persona capture/summon system, using multiple persona's at once in a battle, fusion spells, etc.[/quote]

Sorry to nitpick, but they're only called personas in the Persona series.

[quote name='kazunori']A new SMT/Persona on current gen consoles would surely sell more than something like ToV did, no doubt.[/quote]

Persona, probably, SMT, no way. Most of the people who've recently gotten into Persona couldn't care less about the rest of the SMT line.

[quote name='kazunori']That's an interesting point actually. SMT may not be as widely recognised as the Tales series (that's debatable though, I personally think otherwise), but right now, I believe the Persona offshoots definitely are more "mainstream" than Tales, especially after the breakout success of P3 and the "hype" P4 got.
When was the last non-Square/FF JRPG you can recall that got that much attention to it before its release?

Not to say they're undeserving, cause I like the SMT games more than Tales anyway, but ask the average non JRPG gamer which series is more familiar to him, and I'll bet Persona would be ahead of Tales.

A new SMT/Persona on current gen consoles would surely sell more than something like ToV did, no doubt. Tales hasn't "broken out" into mainstream appeal just yet.[/quote]

There's two main reasons I don't see Persona becoming really mainstream (though I did acquiesce that P3 and, subsequently Persona 4 were quite popular) and those are the art and the difficulty. Well, maybe not. Those points are more pros for Tales than negatives for SMT. Tales games are ridiculously easy (for me at least) or at least easier than Persona 3 or 4 on Easy. To get mainstream, the game has to get popular, and it seems like it's way too difficult for most people, at least Stateside, to sell great. I think the cartoony look of most Tales games gives it more mass appeal too.

That's not to say that a SMT game wouldn't do well on the 360 or PS3, but I'm willing to bet that it would sell quite a bit less than a PS2 counterpart. Oh, and unfortunately, for your last point, JRPGs seem to be diminishing more and more. People seem to be going toward WRPGs now, where they tend to be more mixtures of shooter/RPG (as ME and Fallout 3 are, though both being great games) and JRPGs as story-driven games with traditional types of combat seem to be getting fewer and fewer. I barely even see any JRPGs from companies other than Atlus or Nippon Ichi, and I try to keep my eye out for any unique JRPGs out there.

Edit: Oh, and I just remembered something. I think last check, the 360 had 850k units in Japan, and the PS3 has something like 2.7 mil. They would probably have to make it multiplat to turn a profit and even then, the development costs for both systems might be fairly high. Though I will admit, Atlus needs to put out some good games for the HD consoles. Their two games released thus far have gotten pretty mediocre reviews. I'm surprised though that Atlus and Namco have been giving so much attention to the 360. Namco hasn't done jack in terms of PS3 RPGs other than porting Eternal Sonata, and Atlus hasn't touched it.

And on topic, the day they put this on Amazon, I will be pre-ordering it. I enjoyed the first one. I'd rank the original below Nocturne and Persona 3 & 4, but that's like saying I like chocolate and strawberry ice cream better than vanilla; they're all tasty.

[quote name='Nirron']There's two main reasons I don't see Persona becoming really mainstream (though I did acquiesce that P3 and, subsequently Persona 4 were quite popular) and those are the art and the difficulty. Well, maybe not. Those points are more pros for Tales than negatives for SMT. Tales games are ridiculously easy (for me at least) or at least easier than Persona 3 or 4 on Easy. To get mainstream, the game has to get popular, and it seems like it's way too difficult for most people, at least Stateside, to sell great. I think the cartoony look of most Tales games gives it more mass appeal too.

That's not to say that a SMT game wouldn't do well on the 360 or PS3, but I'm willing to bet that it would sell quite a bit less than a PS2 counterpart. Oh, and unfortunately, for your last point, JRPGs seem to be diminishing more and more. People seem to be going toward WRPGs now, where they tend to be more mixtures of shooter/RPG (as ME and Fallout 3 are, though both being great games) and JRPGs as story-driven games with traditional types of combat seem to be getting fewer and fewer. I barely even see any JRPGs from companies other than Atlus or Nippon Ichi, and I try to keep my eye out for any unique JRPGs out there.[/quote]

I don't disagree that the SMT games in general are more difficult than most JRPGs, and involve quite a bit of tedious leveling, but by "popular" I meant like, how much the average gamer knows about it, even if they've never even played it.

Ask a non-JRPG gamer if they know about the Persona series, and you'll likely get a rough description that it's this RPG about high school kids and demons. Ask him about the Tales series, and you'll likely get at best, a guess that it's some long running RPG series.
I'm fairly certain even some other JRPG series like Suikoden, which hasn't had a new release in a few years, is more popular in that sense than Tales is over here.

And with Persona's recent increase in recognition, I'm willing to bet many gamers who weren't really big on JRPGs before gave P4 a shot, as opposed to ToV, which was released to relatively little fanfare.

Longtime JRPG fans (the kind who know about SMT games and their difficulty, and of Tales as well) would've likely gotten both anyway if they were fans, so it's the non-JRPGer (the kind who doesn't really know much about SMT games, but has read good things about Persona and seen the awesome art style) who would've likely boosted Persona's sales and popularity beyond that of Tales.

The difficulty of the games would've played little part in their popularity, IMHO. Maybe the non-JRPGer would've gotten turned off from it after a while cause it was too hard and sold it used or whatever, but that's besides the point.

About it selling more on PS2 than the current gen systems, well it IS the highest selling console of all time, most titles that aren't blockbuster current gen hits like MGS4, GoW, etc are likely to sell better on the PS2 than those systems.

Still, you make good points and I enjoyed reading them. Just my 2 cents on this. :)

@Nirron

You bring up a good point. It'd be interesting to know how well Persona 4 sold, and how much fo a profit Atlus made.

It is also an amazing game, so i wish more people knew about it. My only problems so far is, after 63 hours, i'm stuck on a boss and afraid i might not beat it after all the hours i put into it =/. If you've beaten the game and want to help me, PM me ;).

Anyway, can anyone compare Persona and this? I don't know what to expect (and it's still a must-buy).

[quote name='mythus']when will this be on amazon? atlus and amazon are usually buddy buddy.[/quote]

I'd think not too long given the deal with EBgames and the fact that Atlus is partnered with Amazon.

I remember P3 FES showed up on Gamestop/EBGames.com first but Amazon had it listed soon after.

[quote name='the_punisher']Anyway, can anyone compare Persona and this? I don't know what to expect (and it's still a must-buy).[/QUOTE]

It's another game trying to jump into the whole Pokemon bandwagon. Games like Tales of Symphonia 2, Elebits: The Adventures of Zero and Kai, Digimon, or Spectrobes.

In the first Devil Summoner you play as detective trying to solve the mysterious events at Japan. The combat is like an action game with your traditional hack and slash with one range weapon. During the course of battle, you can capture monsters with these neon glow stick (which is also similar to Pokemon with Pokeballs). Unlike Pokemon, you need to hit the monsters weakness and rapidly press the face buttons in order to capture these monsters. You can use these monsters as allies during combat or use their abilities to progress further game such as strength to move a car or fire to burn a tree.

The problem is they didn't do anything exceptional well to distinguish itself from the competition. The hack and slash was mediocre at best. It was very slow pace with no combos unlike the modern counterparts of Tales Series, Hack GU or Devil May Cry. Since your main protagonist is human, you only limited to physical attacks. All the magical attacks must come from monsters. Thus, making your character very one dimension - physical brawler.

I never read the previews for this game, so I have no idea if it's good or not. I heard people say it's a vast improvement over original and they refine it's combat tremendously.

I'll probably order myself two copies...one to keep sealed and one opened to play (gotta keep my SMT PS2 collection going...sealed and open). But, I do wonder how much the game will cost once the first print run is OOP. Yay for scalper! haha....

Anywho...since people are discussing Atlus and SMT...I'll chime in. People, I've noticed, confuse Atlus USA with Atlus Japan (which is totally understandable though). Atlus USA is just a publisher...they don't develop games, just localizing and touching up stuff before releasing it in the US. No one really knows what Atlus Japan is producing for the next-gen systems. Someone on siliconera pointed out that they might be concentrating on 360 development. Considering the time inbetween SMT II and Nocturne (nine years)...I wouldn't be surprised if SMT IV is going to take a while and another spinoff of the series is going to be released on either hte 360 or PS3 (maybe Persona 5 considering how immensely popular the series has become)

[quote name='the_punisher']
Anyway, can anyone compare Persona and this? I don't know what to expect (and it's still a must-buy).[/quote]

As people have pointed out, Devil Summoner (well, the two PS2 titles as there were two previous Devil Summoner titles released that never got here in the US) is an action-rpg. Different from the other SMT games...you pretty much do the same stuff in battle (attack, summon, use items), but you attack in real time. At least the game pauses when you bring up menus. Also, instead of choosing new Persona through tarot cards, you have to capture demons in the game to help you out. Just like the Persona series, you can fuse the demons to gain new/stronger ones. One way to look at Devil Summoner is a real-time version of Persona, without the school-life stuff, but with demon capturing.

Also, I might be wrong here, but Devil Summoner did not jump on the whole Pokemon bandwagon...considering capturing (in any which way possible) demons has been a staple of the SMT series.

I remember reading somewhere that SMT use to be the 3rd most popular RPG series in Japan, but that has now be supplanted by the Tales of series.

[quote name='superdry']I'll probably order myself two copies...one to keep sealed and one opened to play (gotta keep my SMT PS2 collection going...sealed and open). But, I do wonder how much the game will cost once the first print run is OOP. Yay for scalper! haha....

Anywho...since people are discussing Atlus and SMT...I'll chime in. People, I've noticed, confuse Atlus USA with Atlus Japan (which is totally understandable though). Atlus USA is just a publisher...they don't develop games, just localizing and touching up stuff before releasing it in the US. No one really knows what Atlus Japan is producing for the next-gen systems. Someone on siliconera pointed out that they might be concentrating on 360 development. Considering the time inbetween SMT II and Nocturne (nine years)...I wouldn't be surprised if SMT IV is going to take a while and another spinoff of the series is going to be released on either hte 360 or PS3 (maybe Persona 5 considering how immensely popular the series has become)

As people have pointed out, Devil Summoner (well, the two PS2 titles as there were two previous Devil Summoner titles released that never got here in the US) is an action-rpg. Different from the other SMT games...you pretty much do the same stuff in battle (attack, summon, use items), but you attack in real time. At least the game pauses when you bring up menus. Also, instead of choosing new Persona through tarot cards, you have to capture demons in the game to help you out. Just like the Persona series, you can fuse the demons to gain new/stronger ones. One way to look at Devil Summoner is a real-time version of Persona, without the school-life stuff, but with demon capturing.

Also, I might be wrong here, but Devil Summoner did not jump on the whole Pokemon bandwagon...considering capturing (in any which way possible) demons has been a staple of the SMT series.

I remember reading somewhere that SMT use to be the 3rd most popular RPG series in Japan, but that has now be supplanted by the Tales of series.[/QUOTE]

See I would love to see the Persona series go action based too and preferably have less grinding too. I find the older I get the less love I have for turn based games and for grinding. I LOVE the Persona series humor, setting, s.links and summoning of Persona's....but I am finding it hard despite LOVING Persona 4 for those reasons to finish the game because of the hours and hours you have to spend in every dungeon.

[quote name='superdry']Also, I might be wrong here, but Devil Summoner did not jump on the whole Pokemon bandwagon...considering capturing (in any which way possible) demons has been a staple of the SMT series.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, the first SMT game came out in '92/'93 (can't remember the year right now) and capturing/collecting demons for use in battle was one of the key points of the game. Pokemon was, what? 1995?

[quote name='superdry']Also, I might be wrong here, but Devil Summoner did not jump on the whole Pokemon bandwagon...considering capturing (in any which way possible) demons has been a staple of the SMT series.[/quote]

Indeed, but that's not to say SMT never did try doing the whole Pokemon thing. Anyone ever heard of DemiKids for the GBA? It was exactly that - Pokemon crossed with the demons of SMT.

Heck, it even came in two "different" releases - Light and Dark.

I'm a huge SMT fan who's got a crapload of their stuff (even some obscure imports releases from the 90s), so I bought those anyway but never even opened them.

Hi, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to getting promos like this. Any suggestions what to do to be 100% sure get them?

The last promo I wanted this badly was the Castlevania box for the DS and I had to fight tooth and nail to get it as they did not want to give it up. That was a horrible experience. I got other promos without trouble like the Lego Indy shirt and Castlevania CD, but honestly I did not care if I got those or not. I must get two of these plush...

An online England friend of mine (who wants the second plush) suggested that I put in a few reserves in a few stores and if they won't give me the plush then don't buy it and get my $5.00 back. He used to work at the UK version of Gamestop "Game" and he said the deposit is fully refundable for any reason. I swore this is NOT the policy for the USA. Can any one clarify on the deposit policy?

Basically, unless I get the plush, it's not really going to be something I would buy right away and definitely not at full price. I got half way with the first one and while it was ok, it's not ranked at the top of my fav RPG list to justify this to be a must buy without the cute plush.

[quote name='MSI Magus']See I would love to see the Persona series go action based too and preferably have less grinding too. I find the older I get the less love I have for turn based games and for grinding. I LOVE the Persona series humor, setting, s.links and summoning of Persona's....but I am finding it hard despite LOVING Persona 4 for those reasons to finish the game because of the hours and hours you have to spend in every dungeon.[/QUOTE]

My feelings exactly.

Also, thanks to everyone for the update on the game. Sounds like it could be a really good game if it had improvements. Heck, it worked from P3 to P4. *flameshield*

[quote name='62t']It is not a bonus, every copy will come with the plushie.[/quote]

Only the first print. Subsequent prints (if any)won't include it.

[quote name='62t']It is not a bonus, every copy will come with the plushie.[/quote]

Yeah right. I would love to here where you got that information from.

Think... have you ever heard of a Plushie coming with every single copy of a game? Unless I missed something, that has never happened.

[quote name='VWarrior']Only the first print. Subsequent prints (if any)won't include it.[/quote]

This is Atlus. They've been reprinting like MAD for the past year.

[quote name='VWarrior']Only the first print. Subsequent prints (if any)won't include it.[/QUOTE]

that is going to be later on. Chances are if you get it in the first month or so you will get the bonus

[quote name='punkmaggit']This is Atlus. They've been reprinting like MAD for the past year.[/quote]

Yeah, just about every SMT game from last gen (and even beyond, as proven by Persona 2 EP and a couple others) has been reprinted by Atlus. Ironically the only one that didn't get reprinted was the first Devil Summoner.
If DS2 sells out, rest assured you'll be seeing reprints of it soon enough.

Then again, most of the people here don't really seem to know or care about the game itself and are just in this for the plushie, or rather, its certain increase in value.

[quote name='62t']that is going to be later on. Chances are if you get it in the first month or so you will get the bonus[/quote]

Oh I'm not saying there won't be ample to go around for early adopters (though at the same time I don't know how "limited" Atlus is planning on making the plushies), I'm just saying in case some people may read what you said incorrectly that not every new copy that will ever be made will include the plushie.

[quote name='VWarrior']Oh I'm not saying there won't be ample to go around for early adopters (though at the same time I don't know how "limited" Atlus is planning on making the plushies), I'm just saying in case some people may read what you said incorrectly that not every new copy that will ever be made will include the plushie.[/QUOTE]

right but there are people who are afraid they wont get the plushie even if they preorder

[quote name='punkmaggit']This is Atlus. They've been reprinting like MAD for the past year.[/quote]

Even if this game has only one limited print run (numbered too so one know how many were printed), just like the "limited" Growlanser: Heritage of War, copies might still linger on over the course of the year. Depending on the sales, Atlus might do a 2nd print run.

[quote name='kazunori']Yeah, just about every SMT game from last gen (and even beyond, as proven by Persona 2 EP and a couple others) has been reprinted by Atlus. Ironically the only one that didn't get reprinted was the first Devil Summoner.
If DS2 sells out, rest assured you'll be seeing reprints of it soon enough.

Then again, most of the people here don't really seem to know or care about the game itself and are just in this for the plushie, or rather, its certain increase in value.[/quote]

Digital Devil Saga 2 did not receive a reprint...the price of that game has jumped considerably. The first PS2 Devil Summoner probably didn't sell well...so lots of copies were floating around and Atlus did not need to do a reprint.

Even if people buy the game just for the plushie or to resell...that's still a sale and money for Atlus.

[quote name='superdry']Digital Devil Saga 2 did not receive a reprint...the price of that game has jumped considerably. The first PS2 Devil Summoner probably didn't sell well...so lots of copies were floating around and Atlus did not need to do a reprint.

Even if people buy the game just for the plushie or to resell...that's still a sale and money for Atlus.[/QUOTE]

DDS2 had multiple print runs. The first run has a white cover to match the Deluxe version of DDS1. The second print run (I suspect there was at least one other subsequent run of this edition) had a different cover, which is the variation most people have seen on the net or in store. I can take photos of both covers if you want.

Here is a stock photo / website scan comparison:

DDS2 1st Print

dds2b_front.jpg

DDS2 2nd Print w/back cover (and any subsequent prints)

Digital_Devil_Saga_2_Dvd_custom-front.jpg

[quote name='opportunity777']DDS2 had multiple print runs. The first run has a white cover to match the Deluxe version of DDS1. The second print run (I suspect there was at least one other subsequent run of this edition) had a different cover, which is the variation most people have seen on the net or in store. I can take photos of both covers if you want.

Here is a stock photo / website scan comparison:

DDS2 1st Print

dds2b_front.jpg

DDS2 2nd Print w/back cover (and any subsequent prints)

Digital_Devil_Saga_2_Dvd_custom-front.jpg
[/quote]
dds2 had interchangable covers. I still have a sealed one i picked up from gamestop for 15$ a few months ago. My friend got one too and he opened his. You can just flip the cover to either of those 2. so far i have every shin megami release in ntsc except persona 1, and rumors say that that may get a reprint in the next few months as well as a psn release.

^^Actually, it seems that the first Persona is being ported/remade on the PSP. Who knows if it'll actually come stateside though, since the old Persona is drastically different from P3/Fes/4. It might turn off some recent fans.

[quote name='mythus']dds2 had interchangable covers. I still have a sealed one i picked up from gamestop for 15$ a few months ago. My friend got one too and he opened his. You can just flip the cover to either of those 2. so far i have every shin megami release in ntsc except persona 1, and rumors say that that may get a reprint in the next few months as well as a psn release.[/QUOTE]

PSP version coming to japan. I wish i had gotten P2 sealed from Amazon though =/

[quote name='mythus']dds2 had interchangable covers. I still have a sealed one i picked up from gamestop for 15$ a few months ago. My friend got one too and he opened his. You can just flip the cover to either of those 2. so far i have every shin megami release in ntsc except persona 1, and rumors say that that may get a reprint in the next few months as well as a psn release.[/QUOTE]

Even so, the first runs still had the white showing on the outside.

In for one. I love atlus games so much. I've never been disappointed by one yet. I haven't played Devil Summoner one but I plan on having it played before DS2 comes out.

[quote name='Darknuke']In for one. I love atlus games so much. I've never been disappointed by one yet.[/quote]

You've obviously been lucky enough to avoid Atlus' many localization blunders. XD

bread's done
Back