SMT: Devil Summoner 2 w/ Plush Doll Available For Pre-order - $39.99

earvcunanan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
300 (100%)
Atlus just recently announced that Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abbadon will be hitting US shores on May 12, 2009 for $39.99.

Gamefly has the game listed in their database:
http://www.gamefly.com/products/detail.asp?pid=135590

Pre-order here:

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=73846
http://www.amazon.com/Shin-Megami-T..._2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1233367192&sr=8-2

54893.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sliknik27']Looks like we've pushed it into the top ten for video game sales. Nice work CAGs.[/quote]

Wow, do CAGs love their Atlus games or what? This is my first time posting a topic about an Atlus title, and it's getting lots of feedback - and the game isn't even coming out for another 3 months!

First off for the folks asking how good the game is look here. (Jekki posted this link as well, but I saw it elsewhere before I saw his post) It's as good a recommendation as you'll see for this game.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=343684

Secondly, for those wanting a SMT game on the 360, I have something to say to you....SMT: Nine. (on the original Xbox)

Atlus made it their exclusive Xbox game (and it was to be their foray into online gaming, however due to the major lack of sales, and no Japanese gamers having an Xbox, they scrapped the online version of it that was in development, and basically swore off any support for the Xbox from Atlus JPN from then on)

The rumor is the next SMT game is coming to the PS3, and judging by its sales in JPN and Atlus JPN's major support of the PS2 last gen I am pretty confident this will be the case as well that they'll find one system to develop for and stick with it, since they don't have unlimited pockets like some companies and can't take too many development losses before they start hurting financially.

Can't wait to play Raidou 2, loved the first one, preordered the day they had it up. Cheers.

[quote name='uncle5555']First off for the folks asking how good the game is look here. (Jekki posted this link as well, but I saw it elsewhere before I saw his post) It's as good a recommendation as you'll see for this game.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=343684

Secondly, for those wanting a SMT game on the 360, I have something to say to you....SMT: Nine. (on the original Xbox)

Atlus made it their exclusive Xbox game (and it was to be their foray into online gaming, however due to the major lack of sales, and no Japanese gamers having an Xbox, they scrapped the online version of it that was in development, and basically swore off any support for the Xbox from Atlus JPN from then on)

The rumor is the next SMT game is coming to the PS3, and judging by its sales in JPN and Atlus JPN's major support of the PS2 last gen I am pretty confident this will be the case as well that they'll find one system to develop for and stick with it, since they don't have unlimited pockets like some companies and can't take too many development losses before they start hurting financially.

Can't wait to play Raidou 2, loved the first one, preordered the day they had it up. Cheers.[/QUOTE]
Atlus used to develop for PSOne and Saturn, and Atlus is pretty big in Japan so they can afford to develop for 2 system.

[quote name='62t']Atlus used to develop for PSOne and Saturn, and Atlus is pretty big in Japan so they can afford to develop for 2 system.[/quote]

Well, while I know they'd make a bit more money multiplat than otherwise, you can't really compare development then to now. Development costs are notoriously outrageous for the HD consoles. I mean, look at the companies that have taken huge hits just because of one bad game. Free Radical with Haze, and Factor 5 with Lair come to mind. I mean, multiplat is most certainly not out of the question, but to dev on the PS1/Saturn probably only cost a fraction of what it cost for just the 360, and especially the PS3.

[quote name='meerkatgamer']Looks like Amazon is not taking anymore pre-orders right now everyone wants a Raiho doll.. =)[/quote]

*Mario coin sound* *Mario coin sound* :)

Can someone 'splain to me why everyone wants to preorder at Amazon vs Gamestop? It is the same price and comes with the same bonus (which isn't even available at Amazon any more), right?

I'd just way rather go with GS to use my credit there over real monies at Amazon (tax is not an issue either way).

I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything here ;).

I guess with how hard the first game is getting to find I better preorder this - though I did wait on the first one and got it for just $19.99. Compared to most Atlus games it was pretty common for a while (really until the second one was imminent). I'd hate to preorder this and see it shelf-sitting at $19.99 this fall since there's no way I'm playing it before then :whistle2:k...

Amazon = free shipping, no tax
and you don't have to worry about GS workers stealing your bonus!

and I heard this game is going to be limited print, but I'm not sure if thats true or not

I hate dealing with Gamestop, especially after they screwed up my pre-order for Twilight Princess years ago. Since then, I've sworn to never give them business. I'd much rather come home after work and find my game in the mailbox instead of wasting time and gas to go to the mall and pay tax for the exact same thing. I'm also not one to usually NEED a game as soon as it comes out, so I can wait most times.

Most of ATLUS's games tend to be limited in some way, shape, or form. Usually after a year or so after it's released, it becomes a bit harder to find them depending on their popularity. I don't think the first Devil Summoner was too popular; it was the only SMT title I saw on shelves, and this was well over a year after it was released.

I also can't believe some of you guys managed to sell your P4 S.Link sets for over $100. People must really have money to burn.

[quote name='matthewhsh2002']Amazon = free shipping, no tax
and you don't have to worry about GS workers stealing your bonus!

and I heard this game is going to be limited print, but I'm not sure if thats true or not[/quote]
Some states will charge tax, like NY. Goddamn David Patterson...

& Gamestop stealing your preorder bonuses then claming they never got them is a big reason for me also.

Well, yeah, tax is not an issue either way for me like I said (no sales tax here). The preorder bonus theft is certainly something to consider, though I've had decent luck with GS preorders so far. Since I can't even get the bonus any more from Amazon I'll just go with GS. However, you could order online with GS and get the bonus, right? It seems they have it on there still. And you can get free shipping, too, I believe (using SAVER). I'd be somewhat hesitant to order online because if they simply forget to send you the bonus I don't imagine there's much you could do - though I'd have the same hesitation with Amazon.

I do have a couple of preorders at GS that I don't want, though, and could switch one of those to this game (along with another Atlus title - Dark Spire for the DS). I figure with the Atlus more than any other it is better to preorder (the one recent exception being the first Devil Summoner, however).

Hmm, getting a copy that's already been open and having to pay sales tax and having a chance of your pre-order being stolen sounds like more than enough reason to me to not get a copy from gamestop. Also, amazon's customer service >>>>> gamestop's. AFAIK amazon is atlus's official retailer since they closed down their own store so maybe they get a larger cut as well?

The Raiho doll is packaged with the game, it's not really something that GS workers could steal. I'm sure they could, but that would be tough to explain away. For me, I'd just rather save tax at Amazon since I have plenty of other games coming out in the next 5 months to spend $40 in credit on.

To my understanding I thought the plush was actually 'bundled' with the game? OR am I wrong? Because if that is so, how can gamestop employees steal the preorder?

Is the bonus just separate like how all other GS preorder do it, hold it in their drawers? Shed some light for me you guys.

EDIT: I think botticus just answered my question before i posted it. Ahah.

Well How does it go about being bundled? will the plush and the game be sealed in a bigger box, like how the resistance 2 collectors is made? Has atlus ever added a plush with a game?

Why buy at Amazon over GameStop? Well, besides the free shipping/no sales tax, there's the fact that GameStop is the cesspool of the gaming retail industry.

Ordering online from Gamestop doesn't ensure the bonus either. Years ago I preordered both Viewtiful Joe and Four Swords Adventures online the day they became available, and I received neither of the bonuses.

I especially wanted that VJ bobblehead, but I guess I'll have to scour eBay for it at this point.

Quite a few times I've preordered from Gamestop, only to walk in on release day and have employees claim that the preorder bonus never came through. Amazon has yet to fail me on that.

There's always the chance Amazon will lower the price by a few bucks before it releases, but with GS you can be damn sure it will be $39.99 or higher.

With Amazon being sold out I highly doubt they're going to lower the price this time...and I was really hoping to getting the game at $36.99.

[quote name='mlisette23']With Amazon being sold out I highly doubt they're going to lower the price this time...and I was really hoping to getting the game at $36.99.[/QUOTE]

Meh, what's $3 in the end? I understand $10 but $3? It probably won't drop in any case.

[quote name='opportunity777']DDS2 had multiple print runs. The first run has a white cover to match the Deluxe version of DDS1. The second print run (I suspect there was at least one other subsequent run of this edition) had a different cover, which is the variation most people have seen on the net or in store. I can take photos of both covers if you want.

Here is a stock photo / website scan comparison:

DDS2 1st Print

dds2b_front.jpg

DDS2 2nd Print w/back cover (and any subsequent prints)

Digital_Devil_Saga_2_Dvd_custom-front.jpg
[/quote]

The first print was a mix of both, I got it the first week and received the orange cover.

Guess I should be glad I preordered this...

Now if I could only find a copy of Devil Summoner (the first). They've all disappeared since this was announced and eBay is not a pretty sight.

No longer taking pre-orders? Glad I got my order in as soon as they sent the email. I skipped on the social pack for some reason and regret that decision...

Damn, I missed out on the pre-order at amazon
Looks like I'm going to have to buy this at one of my local retailers once it's released if I want to get the plush which I do

This is shaping nicely for the scalpers. Good thing I have my copy pre-ordered. I wonder if Gamestop or Gamecrazy also have a preorder allotment like Amazon did (or what looks like Amazon did).

I can totally see this game going for at least $80 the week it's released on the secondary market.

I still can't believe the Japanese P4 artbook that Amazon US managed to get still goes for crazy money.

Really with the game not coming out for months there is more than enough time for Atlus to make more plushie if they want.

[quote name='62t']Really with the game not coming out for months there is more than enough time for Atlus to make more plushie if they want.[/QUOTE]

Which would be bull shit since they said this would be a very limited release. If they release more and the market gets flooded with these then I am done trusting Atlus since they keep doing this shit.

[quote name='superdry']I still can't believe the Japanese P4 artbook that Amazon US managed to get still goes for crazy money.[/quote]

I hope no one is buying those ridiculously priced P4 JPN art books on Amazon. They're on the Japanese Amazon site for around 20 bucks.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Which would be bull shit since they said this would be a very limited release. If they release more and the market gets flooded with these then I am done trusting Atlus since they keep doing this shit.[/QUOTE]

They said limited but they never gave out a number. It make no sense for people not to be able to get the game on release date and the plushie cost very little to make in China

[quote name='WhiteLens']Whoa, the priced for used went up to $14.99!

And I still can't find a copy, all the stores they have available around me is too far. Also the "new" copies aren't always accurate because I called one of the stores that the store locator showed for "new" and they said that they didn't have any copies.[/quote]

I stopped by one of the stores that had it listed as "new". I was going to flip it gutted or not but they couldn't find the disc/manual. All they had was an open "new" case/insert.

If they didn't gut games, they wouldn't have to keep track of loose discs...

[quote name='willardhaven']I stopped by one of the stores that had it listed as "new". I was going to flip it gutted or not but they couldn't find the disc/manual. All they had was an open "new" case/insert.

If they didn't gut games, they wouldn't have to keep track of loose discs...[/QUOTE]

It would still be a good flip at $10 for a disc only

bread's done
Back