SMT: Devil Summoner 2 w/ Plush Doll Available For Pre-order - $39.99

earvcunanan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
300 (100%)
Atlus just recently announced that Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abbadon will be hitting US shores on May 12, 2009 for $39.99.

Gamefly has the game listed in their database:
http://www.gamefly.com/products/detail.asp?pid=135590

Pre-order here:

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=73846
http://www.amazon.com/Shin-Megami-T..._2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1233367192&sr=8-2

54893.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='62t']They said limited but they never gave out a number. It make no sense for people not to be able to get the game on release date and the plushie cost very little to make in China[/QUOTE]

Exactly, Atlus is not going to just lock in the quantity some three months before the game even comes out with demand as strong as it is. I guarantee they will be doing more plushies to take advantage of demand and that pre-orders on Amazon will open up again before the release date.

[quote name='62t']It would still be a good flip at $10 for a disc only[/quote]

I don't think I explained correctly, they had the case but no game to put inside of it.

Either they lost it or an employee stole it, the gutted case was on the shelf but they looked all over for the "guts" and found nothing.

[quote name='bojay1997']Exactly, Atlus is not going to just lock in the quantity some three months before the game even comes out with demand as strong as it is. I guarantee they will be doing more plushies to take advantage of demand and that pre-orders on Amazon will open up again before the release date.[/quote]

The P4 social link expansion pack never got a reprint once it sold out a few weeks to a month before release date. Once Amazon hit some allotment number...people couldn't preorder those anymore unless people canceled.

Anywho...Atlus did say in their newsletter that subsequent prints of the game, if any, will not come with the plushie. So, there is still a chance Atlus does a second print run of the game so people still have a chance to buy it.

[quote name='willardhaven']I don't think I explained correctly, they had the case but no game to put inside of it.

Either they lost it or an employee stole it, the gutted case was on the shelf but they looked all over for the "guts" and found nothing.[/quote]

Or they realized that they could make some money when they saw that they still had Devil Summoner in stock and lied to you. I had that happen to me on more than one occasion when coming across rarer games at GameStop in the past.

[quote name='superdry']The P4 social link expansion pack never got a reprint once it sold out a few weeks to a month before release date. Once Amazon hit some allotment number...people couldn't preorder those anymore unless people canceled.

Anywho...Atlus did say in their newsletter that subsequent prints of the game, if any, will not come with the plushie. So, there is still a chance Atlus does a second print run of the game so people still have a chance to buy it.[/QUOTE]

First, the social link pack sold out much closer to actual release and depended on items that could not easily be manufactured on short notice. It also came into stock again right after it came out. This package is over three months away from launch and all it requires is Atlus to have an additional 5,000 plushies manufactured which is very, very easy to do. You are being naive if you think Atlus is going to miss out on some serious additional revenue and leave it to the speculators to turn huge profits at their expense.

[quote name='bojay1997']First, the social link pack sold out much closer to actual release and depended on items that could not easily be manufactured on short notice. It also came into stock again right after it came out. This package is over three months away from launch and all it requires is Atlus to have an additional 5,000 plushies manufactured which is very, very easy to do. You are being naive if you think Atlus is going to miss out on some serious additional revenue and leave it to the speculators to turn huge profits at their expense.[/quote]

I think it would be naive to think that Atlus would make more copies than they think will sell. Atlus isn't a publisher that can afford to have its titles sit on the shelf for months/years after release and slowly lose money on titles that aren't selling.

The first Devil Summoner didn't do exceptionally well, so why assume that the second will sell millions?

Atlus' gameplans for overseas sales has always been low print numbers followed by reprints if deemed necessary. P3, even with it's success in Japan, could have gone either way in other territories. With P3's success P4 was a much safer bet and so they printed more general copies but the social link expansion was probably never meant to be a giant seller as the XL-only shirt attests to. Kuma plushies were salvageable from any remaining Konamistyle edition stock (and you could even pick what size shirt you wanted with that edition).

[quote name='thelonepig']I think it would be naive to think that Atlus would make more copies than they think will sell. Atlus isn't a publisher that can afford to have its titles sit on the shelf for months/years after release and slowly lose money on titles that aren't selling.

The first Devil Summoner didn't do exceptionally well, so why assume that the second will sell millions?[/QUOTE]

Nobody is talking about doing millions of these. The genius of the Amazon distribution deal with Atlus is that they can closely craft press runs to actual pre-orders. I think they will probably increase their print run on the game and plush by another 5K or so to cover the next few months of pre-orders. Also, in case you haven't noticed, Atlus has been doing much larger runs of games recently and hasn't really sold out on anything in the past year or two.

[quote name='thelonepig']I think it would be naive to think that Atlus would make more copies than they think will sell. Atlus isn't a publisher that can afford to have its titles sit on the shelf for months/years after release and slowly lose money on titles that aren't selling.

The first Devil Summoner didn't do exceptionally well, so why assume that the second will sell millions?[/QUOTE]

At the same time why make less copy than they can sell? Base on the preorder demand they can know if they need to print more copies.

[quote name='62t']At the same time why make less copy than they can sell? Base on the preorder demand they can know if they need to print more copies.[/quote]

People, including me, said the exact same thing about the Persona 4 Social Link Expansion.

EDIT: Whoops, I totally missed the entire conversation above.

Anywho, until Atlus actually lies to us about the limited nature of an item, I'm inclined to believe them. They've held up their end of the bargain thus far. When they say something's rare, it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bojay1997']Nobody is talking about doing millions of these. The genius of the Amazon distribution deal with Atlus is that they can closely craft press runs to actual pre-orders. I think they will probably increase their print run on the game and plush by another 5K or so to cover the next few months of pre-orders. Also, in case you haven't noticed, Atlus has been doing much larger runs of games recently and hasn't really sold out on anything in the past year or two.[/quote]

The plush was part of the Konami style package for DS2...I wouldn't be surprised if Atlus USA is just using excess stock from that to bundle with the game. Of course, I don't know for sure.

Yea, it does seem that Atlus USA is printing larger amounts of games they've been recently releasing (always surprised to see price drops for Atlus titles a few months after release). But, the games do slowly sell out. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the titles are out of print and retailers have what's left.

Well...no one will know about the stock situation for the game until pre-orders from Amazon open up again. One does have to wonder if Gamestop will stop preorders for the game...I highly doubt it though.

[quote name='bojay1997']Nobody is talking about doing millions of these. The genius of the Amazon distribution deal with Atlus is that they can closely craft press runs to actual pre-orders. I think they will probably increase their print run on the game and plush by another 5K or so to cover the next few months of pre-orders. Also, in case you haven't noticed, Atlus has been doing much larger runs of games recently and hasn't really sold out on anything in the past year or two.[/quote]

[quote name='62t']At the same time why make less copy than they can sell? Base on the preorder demand they can know if they need to print more copies.[/quote]

And perhaps they will, knowing that Amazon blew through their allocation so quickly (EDIT: as attested to the post above). They may also realize that some people jumped on the bandwagon early and will be canceling their preorders. At some point, Atlus will have to give a solid answer to the quantity as the game has to be printed, bundled, and shipped to retailers.

The case I was making was simply that Devil Summoner didn't sell well, so it would make sense that its sequel would not move a lot of units. There are big budget games that can prove this wrong, I'm sure, but we're talking about what is still a niche game for a niche market. Ultimately, as I stated before, Atlus is a company that can't afford to lose money by oversupplying product.

I foresee Devil Summoner 2 being much closer to the Persona 2 reprint that was up on Amazon for all of a few hours. Gamestop is still taking preorders - if you haven't reserved your copy yet, I'd suggest getting on that rather than complaining that Amazon has stopped.

[quote name='thelonepig']
The case I was making was simply that Devil Summoner didn't sell well, so it would make sense that its sequel would not move a lot of units. There are big budget games that can prove this wrong, I'm sure, but we're talking about what is still a niche game for a niche market. Ultimately, as I stated before, Atlus is a company that can't afford to lose money by oversupplying product.
[/quote]

The difference between 2006 and 2009 is two blockbuster Persona games. I think the success of P3 and 4 will help DS2 push way more units.

[quote name='willardhaven']The difference between 2006 and 2009 is two blockbuster Persona games. I think the success of P3 and 4 will help DS2 push way more units.[/quote]

Most likely, but why count on it? Why not do a proper reprint of P2 as opposed to the extremely limited release that Amazon saw? Atlus has proven that they're not going to bank on a game selling more copies just because of the recent success of the (US) SMT franchise.

Well I bit since Amazon availability is back up (screw Gameslop). Damn this just means I'll have to finish the first one before May/June.

[quote name='thelonepig']Most likely, but why count on it? Why not do a proper reprint of P2 as opposed to the extremely limited release that Amazon saw? Atlus has proven that they're not going to bank on a game selling more copies just because of the recent success of the (US) SMT franchise.[/QUOTE]

I think the "reprint" from Persona 2 is more likely some leftover stock from the previous GQD reprint. I mean Persona 3 FES already proved that Atlus is ready to overstock a SMT game.

I was about to put in a pre-order, but then changed my mind. I've never even played the first one. I don't know if I'd like it and the game is $40. Too much money to risk on an unknown. Maybe I'll regret it some day, but I'm looking at the first game and it's $10 new now. Surely this one will end up $10 some day too.

[quote name='crunchewy']I was about to put in a pre-order, but then changed my mind. I've never even played the first one. I don't know if I'd like it and the game is $40. Too much money to risk on an unknown. Maybe I'll regret it some day, but I'm looking at the first game and it's $10 new now. Surely this one will end up $10 some day too.[/quote]

dropping to $10 and finding it at $10 is not the same thing.

I can't find this for 100s of miles anywhere for that price.

Cancled my order. I didn't care for the first game but figured I could probally buy this then flip it for a fast profit. I think a lot of people are thinking that......and I think this time its going to bite a lot of people on the ass.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Cancled my order. I didn't care for the first game but figured I could probally buy this then flip it for a fast profit. I think a lot of people are thinking that......and I think this time its going to bite a lot of people on the ass.[/quote]

Good, these should go to people that want them.

[quote name='GuardianE']To be fair, that jump in demand only occurred once DS2 was announced, right? I've seen Devil Summoner all over the place.[/quote]

That's only the 3rd party used market. $10 new at GS is not the same, since one can never find it. Not like you'll see it at BB or WM for $10.

Just basing the point on not getting this because it will hit $10 too.

But I haven't watched the market on this and would agree that the price jumping is because of this sequel on the used markets.

[quote name='xycury']dropping to $10 and finding it at $10 is not the same thing.

I can't find this for 100s of miles anywhere for that price.[/QUOTE]

It (the first game) is available at that price at 4 Gamestops within 10 miles of me, one of which is only 5 minutes away. Or at least so claims the stock status on their web page, which has tended to be pretty accurate for me in the past. I'm sure they are gutted (I mean, pre-opened) copies, but that's OK. It's, bizarrely, lower then the used price. Obviously I should go pick it up at that price and see if I like it, then decide on the sequel. So, I might do that. However, can anyone tell me if it is like Rogue Galaxy? The game is described as an "action RPG" and what I first thought of when it said that was "Paper Mario", not that I was expecting that style/humor, but the infusion of some action elements into an RPG game, but then I realized that probably what they really meant is something more like "Rogue Galaxy". I really didn't like Rogue Galaxy at all (yes, I know, I must be crazy), so if this game is like that, I'll skip it.

[quote name='crunchewy']It (the first game) is available at that price at 4 Gamestops within 10 miles of me, one of which is only 5 minutes away. Or at least so claims the stock status on their web page, which has tended to be pretty accurate for me in the past. I'm sure they are gutted (I mean, pre-opened) copies, but that's OK. It's, bizarrely, lower then the used price. Obviously I should go pick it up at that price and see if I like it, then decide on the sequel. So, I might do that. However, can anyone tell me if it is like Rogue Galaxy? The game is described as an "action RPG" and what I first thought of when it said that was "Paper Mario", not that I was expecting that style/humor, but the infusion of some action elements into an RPG game, but then I realized that probably what they really meant is something more like "Rogue Galaxy". I really didn't like Rogue Galaxy at all (yes, I know, I must be crazy), so if this game is like that, I'll skip it.[/quote]

Serious? 5 mins away, 4 GS?

damnit... I'll give you 20 if you want to ship it to me. Serious here.. hell 25.

I've been looking just to play it... and haven't found a copy anywhere.

[quote name='jacknicklson']Good, these should go to people that want them.[/QUOTE]

There are people buying this because they actually want it? I mean most games I am against buying several copies to sell...but I didnt think anyone would actually want this game after the first ;)

[quote name='crunchewy']It (the first game) is available at that price at 4 Gamestops within 10 miles of me, one of which is only 5 minutes away. Or at least so claims the stock status on their web page, which has tended to be pretty accurate for me in the past. I'm sure they are gutted (I mean, pre-opened) copies, but that's OK. It's, bizarrely, lower then the used price. Obviously I should go pick it up at that price and see if I like it, then decide on the sequel. So, I might do that. However, can anyone tell me if it is like Rogue Galaxy? The game is described as an "action RPG" and what I first thought of when it said that was "Paper Mario", not that I was expecting that style/humor, but the infusion of some action elements into an RPG game, but then I realized that probably what they really meant is something more like "Rogue Galaxy". I really didn't like Rogue Galaxy at all (yes, I know, I must be crazy), so if this game is like that, I'll skip it.[/QUOTE]

I don't remember how Rogue Galaxy played, but I can't say I liked the setting or any of the characters, and that certainly contributed to my not liking the game. Devil Summoner takes place in 1920s Japan, so if that sounds interesting to you, definitely pick it up. It's a steal at $10, and easily goes for $28-40 on eBay if you want to get rid of it.

[quote name='mlisette23']Pre-orders are back up on Amazon! So I guess now the question is do these still come with the Raiho plushie?[/QUOTE]

The bonus is still part of the pre-order page, so I would say yes, particularly when game release is still two and a half months away.

Just pre-ordered mine yesterday at my local gamestop. That plush is pretty cool looking. I liked the original Devil Summoner so I am pretty excited for this one.

I want to pick up the original, but the few gamestops that I called that are near me say they have it new, but not the original case or manual....WTF!!!

bread's done
Back