SNES Classic Discussion Thread

It really is fascinating that so many of you are assuming there will be U.S preorders. I really hope you're right but you have absolutely zero evidence to base this on. I'm hoping to get one as much as the next guy, but there's no way I'm expecting it to be via preorder at a major retailer.
Stores took preorders last time, and multiple European preorders have taken place this time, so I'd say there's a fair bit of evidence that at least some preorders will occur.

Best Buy's description for the snes classic is "Just plug it in...and play"  

Can anyone confirm this is how they work?

It really is fascinating that so many of you are assuming there will be U.S preorders. I really hope you're right but you have absolutely zero evidence to base this on. I'm hoping to get one as much as the next guy, but there's no way I'm expecting it to be via preorder at a major retailer.
To be fair, I'm not assuming anything--thanks to this thread though (not even the Discord!) I already nabbed a UK SNES Classic for the brief duration when it was available. The US model may never come up for preorder, but we already know for sure they are opening preorders in some European regions.

Best Buy's description for the snes classic is "Just plug it in...and play"

Can anyone confirm this is how they work?
Assuming it works like the NES mini, that's exactly how it works.

HDMI to the TV, USB cable to a power adapter, and that's it. All the games are pre-installed.

Let's do a poll:

Which game will you be playing first?

For me, it will probably be Metroid
Probably none since I doubt I'll get one in time and I won't be paying a scalper. But in the off chance I score one. I'm playing Starfox first level so I can play Starfox 2

Let's do a poll:

Kirby Superstar with a friend. We used to play it all the time when we were kids. His cart of the game had a dead battery in it so every time we'd come back, the save files would be gone. This worked out well because every time we'd run through the entire thing again. I have a lot of great memories about that game.

At this point I don't see US pre orders being a thing. Every site has the listing ready to go, but still nothing. I have a feeling it will be something that goes live the week of release or that day.

I have the NES Classic and the Famicom mini and I can tell you that the Famicom is trash compared to the NES. As others have said, the controllers are hard wired and tiny

Let's do a poll:

1.Super Punch-Out

2. Metroid or FF6

3. Which ever one I didn't pick as #2

4. Earthbound

5. Zelda

And I might squeeze some Starfox 2 in there somewhere just to try it.

I think it would have been fun if you had to unlock more games. I know you have to unlock Star Fox 2 by beating the first level of Star Fox.

But why not do something similar for Yoshi's Island?

I think it would have been fun if you had to unlock more games. I know you have to unlock Star Fox 2 by beating the first level of Star Fox.

But why not do something similar for Yoshi's Island?
That actually sounds appealing, like a rogue-lite game unlocking mechanism.

The downside is being forced to play games you don't want to in hopes of unlocking games you want to play.

It's too bad they'll probably only end up making 11 and a half of 'em... good selection of games, though. Not as good as my laptop, or Wii, but really good, nevertheless. 

Super Mario World would be my first game to play, for sure. True classic that I play regularly, but with a genuine SNES controller? Rarely. Secret of Mana would be my first game to play finish, though. Some say they didn't include the best RPG on the system with this Classic Edition, but with Secret of Mana, I beg to differ. 

That actually sounds appealing, like a rogue-lite game unlocking mechanism.

The downside is being forced to play games you don't want to in hopes of unlocking games you want to play.
True. But in this collection, every game is absolutely worth playing. I look at Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection as a recent example of unlockables. You had to do all sorts of fun stuff in various games to unlock other additional games, interviews, etc.

It's too bad they'll probably only end up making 11 and a half of 'em... good selection of games, though. Not as good as my laptop, or Wii, but really good, nevertheless.

Super Mario World would be my first game to play, for sure. True classic that I play regularly, but with a genuine SNES controller? Rarely. Secret of Mana would be my first game to play finish, though. Some say they didn't include the best RPG on the system with this Classic Edition, but with Secret of Mana, I beg to differ.
Which one do they say that is? Cause final fantasy 3 and super mario rpg are like the best in my opinion with Lufia II as a follow up.

I'm off for my 2 and 1/2 hours of daily sleep which is all I've gotten since this blasted thing was announced.  I've set things so my alarm blares this so loud it vibrates the whole room.  Good times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UchY4JR9elE

Super Mario RPG, I've never had a chance to play it ever.
One of the all time greats. If you manage to get a hold of one of these things, I highly recommend you give it a try. And for an RPG, it really isn't all that long. Maybe 20 - 40 hours for 100% completion?

Let's do a poll:

I will beat the first level of Star Fox, which unlocks Star Fox 2 (weird) and play Star Fox 2 until I beat it.

Then I'll probably fire up Final Fantasy.

I'd imagine Crono Trigger, and I'd honestly have to agree
Pfft. Thats funny. Chrono trigger falls far down on my list of best rpgs on any system. Still though, I do respect other peoples opinions.

However that being said Nintendo would never release chrono on something like this. They still make buckets of money on that game by putting it in the virtual console lists of other systems. As a matter of fact I think I can buy it on my phome.

However not including it shouldnt be a problem right. This thing will be hackable and you can just add it then.

bread's done
Back