SNES Classic Discussion Thread

If you liked EBA, importing Ouendan 2 is really a good idea.  DS game, so region-locking wasn't a thing, yet.  If you know the gameplay of EBA, then the language barrier won't overly hamper you to understand what's going on.  Songs are obviously in Japanese (except for one), but if the gameplay is what you crave, Ouendan 2 is a great purchase!

There have been a number of times that Nintendo overproduced. They took a pretty big hit on the Wii U. They're not the rich company they were in the Wii era and my guess is that they just can't afford to ramp things up till they knew demand was still there. 

There have been a number of times that Nintendo overproduced. They took a pretty big hit on the Wii U. They're not the rich company they were in the Wii era and my guess is that they just can't afford to ramp things up till they knew demand was still there.
Nintendo has billions and billions in the bank dude, they're gonna be fine. They just reduce supply to create chaos and free advertising.

Because of the lack of supply on the snes classic, I've been hitting up this thread and this website more in general. All of a sudden, all the talk of the NES classic makes me want one now. I subscribed to a twitter account that tweets about deals, all of a sudden I'm seeing deals for the switch and other Nintendo games. It's all a marketing ploy that Nintendo has been doing for ages

snes1.jpg

Nintendo doesn't run a business poorly just because you don't get what you want.  In fact those two things have nothing to do with each other.  

I get so tired reading the same comments over and over about Nintendo's "terrible business".  If all these dumb-dumbs thought Nintendo was terrible they wouldn't be buying their stuff, or spending time in Nintendo threads discussing Nintendo products.  It's nothing more than adult men throwing tantrums. 

I am glad I was able to nab a UK Amazon preorder. I am a little bummed that I wasn't able to grab an NES classic. I still don't have one and can't find one, but I will prob buy a US SNES to trade for one. Whoever came up with that made me happy, so kudos to you!

Would be nice if they did take preorders here, but I am sure I will get a message about it going for sale at some retailer. I did with the NES classic, but was strapped for cash when I got those messages, so no one is to blame but myself.

My UK preorder hasn't been cancelled yet, but I got my preorder in during the first wave. Did anyone's preorder from the first wave get cancelled?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't know the demand how are you supposed to determine the supply? Saying that it is purposefully done is silly. They said themselves demand for the NES Classic took them by surprise.
Not sure if you've ever heard of something called a pre-order but that's a pretty good way to determine demand that is utilized by roughly 100% of all other companies in the industry. If Nintendo had opened up pre-orders and used that as the basis for their supply and then been taken by surprise at least they would have an excuse.

No luck with the NES Classic today. After hearing some of you got them the past couple days at TRU, I called my local store. He checked the system using the "R" Web Number and said there were 2 in Alpharetta, GA, 1 in Rome, GA, and 3 in Knoxville, TN.

I called all 3 stores, stayed on hold while they checked the back, and all three said they didn't have any and that it must've been an inventory issue. If that's true, there are no NES Classics in Georgia or Tennessee. :(

I'm going to troll post and ambiguously say I got a snes mini preorder but not right now. I'll wait a couple hundred posts in this thread to see if anyone remembers me saying this before I do it.

Not sure if you've ever heard of something called a pre-order but that's a pretty good way to determine demand that is utilized by roughly 100% of all other companies in the industry. If Nintendo had opened up pre-orders and used that as the basis for their supply and then been taken by surprise at least they would have an excuse.
Nintendo does pre-orders. The NES Classic was the exception.

Pre-orders didn't help predict demand of the Wii U. It sold quite well at launch and then tailed off completely shortly thereafter. Internets even talked about scalpers returning unsold Wii Us to retailers in the months that followed.

Pre-orders didn't keep Disney Infinity from over-producing figures.

And when you talk about pre-orders the list of companies making the type of product that the NES Classic is pretty short. There's Nintendo and ... who else?

Sega? They released a mini-Genesis last year. Anyone talk about that? You can buy it any day of the week for $45. Does anyone care?

Nintendo doesn't run a business poorly just because you don't get what you want. In fact those two things have nothing to do with each other.
We're not asking for the moon, just to be treated fairly as paying customers. I have no interest in Nintendo today, but the Nintendo of yesterday was awesome and for most of us these collectibles are invaluable. This is where the issue is because Nintendo is very much an old school Japanese company where collectibles are expected to be rare. Western culture expects to be able to purchase collectibles without a hassle and that's where the disconnect is. Their refusal to accommodate the West comes off as rude when they're sticking to their roots.

Then again, they are just old men.

Not sure if you understand this, but preorders don't actually work the way you think they do. Even with the innovations in Chinese electronic manufacturing in the past 20 years, the supply chain for consumer electronics is long and complex. Nintendo likely had to place their orders for the SNES Classic nine months or more before release. As such, all preorders really do for something like this is suck up supply that otherwise would be available to retail walk-in customers. Preorders are not a valid means of gauging the appropriate manufacturing quantity as using them for such purposes would require such preorders to occur almost a year in advance and also require that the customers actually pay for them in full to avoid cancellations.

Sega? They released a mini-Genesis last year. Anyone talk about that? You can buy it any day of the week for $45. Does anyone care?

Sega doesn't actually make those which is why they suck, they just license the stuff out.

Those infared controllers they have been using suck donkey scrote so if the new ones are an improvement I may finally pony up for one.
The new one is actually 2.4ghz wireless and it also has two standard Genesis ports for wired ones. The wired capability will be great if the wireless still sucks lol.

If you liked EBA, importing Ouendan 2 is really a good idea. DS game, so region-locking wasn't a thing, yet. If you know the gameplay of EBA, then the language barrier won't overly hamper you to understand what's going on. Songs are obviously in Japanese (except for one), but if the gameplay is what you crave, Ouendan 2 is a great purchase!
Yeah, I have Quendan 1 & 2 actually, along with many fan translated offerings as well. I'm the last person to sit around on my hands, waiting for what many of these companies could care less about. When you have fans translating games, and offering features to games and systems, it really shows me what is possible, and what's not.

As for the SNES Mini, I wish anyone wanting one the best of luck, as I personally threw in the towel with "N" years ago, as I have no plans or desires to stand in lines, or call hundreds of stores, drive around town or God only knows what else to get one of their products. If it's around, and easy to get, and I actually want an item, I'll get it. But the work ends there, as I refuse to spend any extra time "working" to actually spend funds, that's "insanity" of the highest order.

That's like driving around town and spending hundreds of hours for a box of frosted flakes, people would look at someone and think they lost their minds, but when it comes to "N" products, for some reason it's very much the norm.

Yeah, I have Quendan 1 & 2 actually, along with many fan translated offerings as well. I'm the last person to sit around on my hands, waiting for what many of these companies could care less about. When you have fans translating games, and offering features to games and systems, it really shows me what is possible, and what's not.

As for the SNES Mini, I wish anyone wanting one the best of luck, as I personally threw in the towel with "N" years ago, as I have no plans or desires to stand in lines, or call hundreds of stores, drive around town or God only knows what else to get one of their products. If it's around, and easy to get, and I actually want an item, I'll get it. But the work ends there, as I refuse to spend any extra time "working" to actually spend funds, that's "insanity" of the highest order.

That's like driving around town and spending hundreds of hours for a box of frosted flakes, people would look at someone and think they lost their minds, but when it comes to "N" products, for some reason it's very much the norm.
Frosted Flakes aren't worth hundreds of dollars more than you're paying for them. People can do some leg work, Nintendo essentially gives people (whoever actually gets one) free money no matter how you look at it. All the people getting lucky with those NES Classics at Toys'R'Us for example are paying $65 out the door for $250~ with no effort.

Anything branded Nintendo will sell well honestly. I don't understand why Nintendo doesn't start making food, home cookwares, non gaming electronics, furniture, etc. They'd give other major companies a run for their money.
12.jpg

Bring it back N. Bring it baaaaccckkk.... that and the cheese wiz in a Mario jar.

Why do people assume Nintendo purposefully creates a shortage with production? There's two sides to supply and demand, and it doesn't profit them to not sell as much. It just makes no sense.
With the release of the SNES, there should be no shortages. They know they underproduced for the NES, so now they should be able to adjust and produce the right amount. If it happens twice, then we have to assume that they limit stock on purpose. Because there is more than enough information to give a better estimate of demand now than their was before.

One thing that I noticed was that with the NES there were a lot of third party companies who produced accessories, however they could never sell them due to Nintendo not having enough supply.

Sega doesn't actually make those which is why they suck, they just license the stuff out.
Exactly, the classics are made by N themselves and in terms are pretty good high quality all around. Those mini Genesis/Mega Drives are not made by Sega and are 3rd party licensed pieces of crap. They are the same low quality, badly programed, plug & play emulation machines that have been around for years that you find in a Sky Mall.

With the release of the SNES, there should be no shortages. They know they underproduced for the NES, so now they should be able to adjust and produce the right amount. If it happens twice, then we have to assume that they limit stock on purpose. Because there is more than enough information to give a better estimate of demand now than their was before.

One thing that I noticed was that with the NES there were a lot of third party companies who produced accessories, however they could never sell them due to Nintendo not having enough supply.
SNES is THE most revered game console of all time. It's the gold standard icon of a golden age in gaming at a time when quality JRPGs with some of the best games and stories and music in gaming history dropped out the sky the same way shitty cookie cutter military shooters do today.

Look at most top 10 or 20 games of all time lists, 75% of them are or should be SNES RPGs. It was the peak of video games before it went mainstream with Playstation/XBox and for many the pinnacle of video gaming before everything became about 3D and graphics and realism and machismo and attitude.

They will still grossly underestimate demand even with trying to overcompensate based on NES classic results. They could make 10x more than NES classic and they will still vanish instantly, and unlike NES these will be on douchebay for $500+

Frosted Flakes aren't worth hundreds of dollars more than you're paying for them. People can do some leg work, Nintendo essentially gives people (whoever actually gets one) free money no matter how you look at it. All the people getting lucky with those NES Classics at Toys'R'Us for example are paying $65 out the door for $250~ with no effort.
My Frosted Flakes comparison was in relation to someone who actually wants one to use this, and not flip for profit. As then it is a completely different situation. Standing in lines, hunting all over town, becomes a financial improvement depending on if that is your goal.

My normal hourly rate when I'm working is $25-30 dollars an hour, so if I'm loosing hours at work to wait on this device, it needs to have a return that makes it worth my time. I'm not currently making that selling online, but I do OK. So flipping for some effort is an option, but for those who just want to play this, there are just so many other gaming options out there, so why spend time devoted to getting this box of "frosted flakes", when there are other gaming options just as good at retailers when this will be impossible to find. Just buy some lucky charms, and be done with it. LOL

I really loved it when a shift supervisor and assistant store manager tried to start an argument with me when I made the simple request to do an inventory check in their system. Yes, I know that it was discontinued and that the SNES mini is coming out in a couple months. No, looking on the website is not how you check for a discontinued item and raising your voices only to turn your backs and walkaway at a polite customer that just made a purchase is beyond bad customer service.

I used to work retail and it's far easier, not to mention faster, to do the check and send the customer on their way. Arguing with a customer only makes you look bad in front of other customers. Not only did I call corporate, but I'm going to fill out a couple surveys. Maybe they'll get retrained on how to give proper customer service and on how to use the systems...or at least get better at pretending.

Alright this thread has gone down the crapper now. Before it was about SCORING something, whether it be an NES or news about SNES... now people are discussing random crap and what Nintendo means. Stahpit.

I just want to score a preorder for this SNES and Corrin Player 2 amiibo, if only so I can take a vacation from this stuff for awhile. 

Y'know and play some games or something lol

Here's a great excuse -

Not everyone has the ability to a) check repeatedly through the day and/or b)drop what they are doing and go to a store in the middle of the day to get one.

Believe it or not, some people work 40 or more hours a week, Monday to Friday, and cannot leave to go to a store in the middle of the day to buy a game system.

Nintendo massively dropped the ball on the NES classic, plain and simple.
Ever heard of having friends or family? Team work makes the dream work.

I really loved it when a shift supervisor and assistant store manager tried to start an argument with me when I made the simple request to do an inventory check in their system. Yes, I know that it was discontinued and that the SNES mini is coming out in a couple months. No, looking on the website is not how you check for a discontinued item and raising your voices only to turn your backs and walkaway at a polite customer that just made a purchase is beyond bad customer service.

I used to work retail and it's far easier, not to mention faster, to do the check and send the customer on their way. Arguing with a customer only makes you look bad in front of other customers. Not only did I call corporate, but I'm going to fill out a couple surveys. Maybe they'll get retrained on how to give proper customer service and on how to use the systems...or at least get better at pretending.
I worked at a store for years too and you are right, it takes at most a couple minutes to look something up but it's pretty meaningless to look up something that old. I assume you are talking about now and not in the past that is anyway. Retail employees may not give a shit, and I can't blame them but it's pretty asinine to march into a store and demand they look up an oop item like this. Retail chains aren't exactly oblivious to these relaunched retro consoles - they know they sell well and will make sure if any are out there then they're displayed for sale. If I was still working in a store and you bothered me about it I'd do it just to get you to leave or pretend to in regards to something ancient like this. Should they do it if you request? Probably. If you're not snobby or rude about it. Is it practical to? Not really. Not something this old. I know I'm coming across as blunt but I used to work the electronics side of a store at night back when Wii's and Wii Fits were the rage and the amount of assholes that I had to deal with asking about those was unreal. Worse that they thought because I worked retail that somehow made me unintelligent or dirt to them. As far as your plight goes, good luck. You can outright name the people involved and I can guarantee corporate won't even look at it.

12.jpg

Bring it back N. Bring it baaaaccckkk.... that and the cheese wiz in a Mario jar.
For those that don't know, this was a super unique cereal in that it had not one, but two bags inside to divide them. Zelda also tasted like Berry Kix with the same texture. I loved this as a kid.

All signs point to the SNES Classic using the same guts as the NES Classic.  Most of us had assumed as much from the announcement.  I think the NES was discontinued so they could start allocating all production to the SNES release since the only difference is the shell.  If that is the case then they've been producing these things for months on end.  IMO they will quickly sell out upon release due to scalping but prices will quickly fall because the market will be flooded.  I wouldn't be surprised to see near-retail pricing on Craigslist as we've seen with the Switch.

All signs point to the SNES Classic using the same guts as the NES Classic. Most of us had assumed as much from the announcement. I think the NES was discontinued so they could start allocating all production to the SNES release since the only difference is the shell. If that is the case then they've been producing these things for months on end. IMO they will quickly sell out upon release due to scalping but prices will quickly fall because the market will be flooded. I wouldn't be surprised to see near-retail pricing on Craigslist as we've seen with the Switch.
Just like how prices were supposed to go down for the Nes classic when they did a restock in December and then January and then they were all gone pretty much. I don't see this being much different. The demand is going to outweigh the supply unless Nintendo puts out like 10 million of these things in 3 months.

the gamestops near hear aren't doing any pre-orders at all, and you should hear the employees go off on nintendo

they are all getting increasingly frustrated, as it seems most people here as well, with nintendo's artificial demand business practices

the gamestops near hear aren't doing any pre-orders at all, and you should hear the employees go off on nintendo
they are all getting increasingly frustrated, as it seems most people here as well, with nintendo's artificial demand business practices
Yeah the retail employees may hate them but corporate loves them. And at the end of the day that's what really matters to GameStop since it drives traffic into the store.

That's a trap. They just want your personal information to spam you with useless newsletters and other crap. I guarantee they wont even send info about SNES Classic. If you're thinking they will alert you with actual SNES updates or when to pre-order, they're lying. The only update they will give you is the release date info which we already know. That's it. I wouldn't bother putting my info.

That's a trap. They just want your personal information to spam you with useless newsletters and other crap. I guarantee they wont even send info about SNES Classic. If you're thinking they will alert you with actual SNES updates or when to pre-order, they're lying. The only update they will give you is the release date info which we already know. That's it. I wouldn't bother putting my info.
Not sure if trying to tell us legit information, or prevent people from signing up to increase your own chances of scoring a SNES...

hqdefault.jpg

Not sure if trying to tell us legit information, or prevent people from signing up to increase your own chances of scoring a SNES...
It is legit information, people have confirmed that Gamestop tried the same thing with the Nintendo Switch and people who signed up for it never got any info at all regarding the Switch it was all BS. They just got signed up for their mailing list which sends you junk all the time. But hey if you don't believe it, go ahead and use a throw away e-mail address that you don't care about and sign up. And watch how much garbage Gamestop sends you that has nothing do to with SNES Classic.

bread's done
Back