SNES Classic Discussion Thread

It seemed more difficult for me to get a SNES pre-order than it was for me to get a Neon Nintendo Switch pre-order.

I never knew people could get this crazy over 20 - 30 year old games. I still play my SNES, NES, Atari, etc, but I didn't realize so many people cared. It makes me wonder if Nintendo is going to do a NES/SNES compilation cart for the Switch, a N64 classic or a NES Classic 2 for next year.

At this point they'd be crazy not to make this an annual thing.
Well I believe it was Forbes who discovered a code for a Mini n64 listing already for next season. Where they go from there no idea; but yes I believe because the span of the nintendo fan base on a product like this is so wide; demand is just unlike what we see for most gaming collector items. Where its usually one specific audience like destiny 2 ok the only people paying 250 or above retail are gonna be die hard destiny folks but this system so youve got the middle aged adults 35 and up grew up with this system or probably owned one at some point so theirs that crowd; then you have the folks who really grew up when Yoshis popularity grew in the group below them say 21-34, and then the below 21 year olds who love all the cute characters and like my daughter yesterday saw a Mario game and Yoshi game on the box in the ad and was like well now I want one too. And lets not forget hardcore collectors who want one to play and one to keep unopened.

So the demand is so far reaching on this its pretty incredible to think the staying power NES/SNES has had based on the last two years and as you mention for games 30 years old I know my main interest is Star Fox 2; I'm sure Ill dabble with the other titles but between missing the mini nes and wanting to play a new OLD game in starfox 2 that made it worth it for me. If they do the Mini 64 it better have WCW/NWO revenge that game made for good times in the college dorms lol.

I was talking to a friend about this yesterday. Where I'm very interested in the SNES Classic, I would have little to no interest in a N64 classic. I feel, IMO, those games haven't aged as well. The ones that are worthwhile to ME, have seen re-releases and remakes (Mario, Zeldas) that are equally as good if not superior to the originals. In the end, to each their own, but I'm curious who craves to hold a classic N64 controller? I mean... its nostalgic, but I don't want to play with that damn thing lol.

I was talking to a friend about this yesterday. Where I'm very interested in the SNES Classic, I would have little to no interest in a N64 classic. I feel, IMO, those games haven't aged as well. The ones that are worthwhile to ME, have seen re-releases and remakes (Mario, Zeldas) that are equally as good if not superior to the originals. In the end, to each their own, but I'm curious who craves to hold a classic N64 controller? I mean... its nostalgic, but I don't want to play with that damn thing lol.
You're not the only person to have these feelings about the N64. The transition from 2D to 3D overall went well, though the early 3D titles have certainly aged less gracefully than late-generation 2D sprite titles. In many ways, the SNES remains the pinnacle of 2D sprite gaming, though more recent 'retro' entries have continued this tradition beyond the lifespan of the SNES. Shovel knight and Undertale come to mind in this regard.

I also believe that an N64 mini would have less positive reception relative to the SNES Classic - time will tell if/when it ever is released. In the present, we're dealing with the SNES situation which is more likely to create headaches and supply issues for consumers during the next 6 months (or so, until production ends). The fact that they're already announced that it will have limited production, unlike the NES Classic which was less transparent in its intentions, is only likely to further exacerbate the situation.

Here's a CRAZY idea! Maybe make the damn thing for longer than 4 months? Wow! That's so out there!
I dont think thats the point of these consoles though Nintendo is basically putting it out as a HOT PRODUCT For this holiday season; I dont think they have any intention in meeting TRUE DEMAND because then the Mini NES last year and the Mini SNES this year wouldnt be the most talked about holiday product; and when you have that groundwork the next year that you put out another product youve already created a market that craves it. Think about it this way the Mini NES sold 2.3 Million Id like to know how many of that 2.3 shifted on the secondary market after the initial sale obv that number will be hard to gather but id venture a guess to say over half a million made their way to the secondary market leaving only 1.8 million consumers at retail and it could have been even more that hit the secondary market. I think they are also hoping to turn this success into a massive digital library for there virtual console that has been more then a little underwhelming in my opinion.

I think some of my favorite games on the N64 would come into licensing issues such as Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Harvest Moon, Killer Instint Gold, WWE no Mercy, and/or Bomberman

And also the fun part about Goldeneye and Smash was playing with four people....there is no way they are gonna make 4 controllers for that right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nintendo found yet another money-printing scheme, and you best bet your cheap a$$ they will milk the profits until it no longer serves their interests. Sorry, that's just how Nintendo rolls these days. As a consumer, it sickens me, but as a businessman, I can see why it has to be that way. As soon as Modder XYZ breaks the SNES open, management will cut their losses as fast as possible.

Preorders-wise, I'm sitting on top of two ThinkGeek bundles ($169 & $249) that is most def gonna make it hard for me to pay my credit card bills next month.

Huh. So I saw my SNES Classic pre-order listed on my account page on the GS website yesterday but today it's gone. That's fun.

EDIT: Nevermind. I see it now. For some weird reason it changed from the actual product name, photo, and release date to "Available SKU," "Coming Soon," for "$999." At least it's on there.

I dont think thats the point of these consoles though Nintendo is basically putting it out as a HOT PRODUCT For this holiday season;
Yeah, heaven forbid Nintendo makes more products and more money. It's not like the stockholders want the company to make more money or anything.

There are no excuses to be made about why Nintendo won't just make more. None.

Im more nervous on the fact that i preordered one in store and then preordered 2 different bundles on the GS app. But in my preorders it only shows my instore one (mine also says available sku and shows $914.40) which is odd. I have a confirmation email from both paypal and Gamestop. I need 3 total. We shall see.

Yeah, heaven forbid Nintendo makes more products and more money. It's not like the stockholders want the company to make more money or anything.

There are no excuses to be made about why Nintendo won't just make more. None.
I'm not disagreeing with you; simply making an observation, and what I think is a solid GUESS at what is actually going on in there brain trust. Obv none of us will ever know but then it wouldnt make speculating so fun if we did lol. I think the hampered success of the Wii U, made nintendo decide we need to get people talking about us more positively. I think these Mini Consoles maybe have not turned all the talk positive but during the last two holiday seasons have made nintendo the most popular/trending brand of the three at least during the holidays. Outside of the holidays its still been X1 P4

I'm not disagreeing with you; simply making an observation, and what I think is a solid GUESS at what is actually going on in there brain trust. Obv none of us will ever know but then it wouldnt make speculating so fun if we did lol. I think the hampered success of the Wii U, made nintendo decide we need to get people talking about us more positively. I think these Mini Consoles maybe have not turned all the talk positive but during the last two holiday seasons have made nintendo the most popular/trending brand of the three at least during the holidays. Outside of the holidays its still been X1 P4
Perhaps, though the Switch has certainly seemed to be faring better than the WiiU. I can't say it will top the PS4 in terms of sales/buzz this holiday, but its not a non-factor like the WiiU was for several years. Good game support and a portable product go a long way towards improving console sales - go figure!

2.3 Million in 4 months is going to be hard to top. Especially based on yesterday I believe the demand is even higher due to last years craze,.
I agree, that it will be hard to top. I still think they will produce more SNES Classics than the NES, but I agree that the demand is higher for the SNES and ultimately Nintendo will not be able to make enough of these to meet the demands.

It seemed more difficult for me to get a SNES pre-order than it was for me to get a Neon Nintendo Switch pre-order.

I never knew people could get this crazy over 20 - 30 year old games. I still play my SNES, NES, Atari, etc, but I didn't realize so many people cared. It makes me wonder if Nintendo is going to do a NES/SNES compilation cart for the Switch, a N64 classic or a NES Classic 2 for next year.

At this point they'd be crazy not to make this an annual thing.
The N64 Classic Edition I believe will absolutely happen next year. I don't see any type of compilation carts for Switch being released though. Nintendo knows they can release these Classic systems or sell these games digitally and make a lot more money. It's rare that Nintendo ever does compilations to begin with because they know they can sell us the same games over and over again.

Well I believe it was Forbes who discovered a code for a Mini n64 listing already for next season. Where they go from there no idea; but yes I believe because the span of the nintendo fan base on a product like this is so wide; demand is just unlike what we see for most gaming collector items. Where its usually one specific audience like destiny 2 ok the only people paying 250 or above retail are gonna be die hard destiny folks but this system so youve got the middle aged adults 35 and up grew up with this system or probably owned one at some point so theirs that crowd; then you have the folks who really grew up when Yoshis popularity grew in the group below them say 21-34, and then the below 21 year olds who love all the cute characters and like my daughter yesterday saw a Mario game and Yoshi game on the box in the ad and was like well now I want one too. And lets not forget hardcore collectors who want one to play and one to keep unopened.

So the demand is so far reaching on this its pretty incredible to think the staying power NES/SNES has had based on the last two years and as you mention for games 30 years old I know my main interest is Star Fox 2; I'm sure Ill dabble with the other titles but between missing the mini nes and wanting to play a new OLD game in starfox 2 that made it worth it for me. If they do the Mini 64 it better have WCW/NWO revenge that game made for good times in the college dorms lol.
I can safely say that an N64 Classic will not include any licensed wrestling games. If they were to go through the trouble to licenses anything like that it would probably be GoldenEye since that was such a huge game for N64. I agree though I'd love to get No Mercy or Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 with the Japanese system. Those are my favorite games from the N64, I still break them out every now and again.

Your definition of demand is myopic and short-sighted. A reseller can certainly contribute to the hype and INITIAL interest in a product. However, without a buyer, a reseller is not going to sit on their product and will return it to vendors. The key here is that a reseller has no interest in actually keeping the product for their own use, which is what will factor into the ultimate demand for a product. Demand is determined by the consumers that permanently remove it from the market, reducing the total supply in retail channels.

The definition of demand is "the quantity of a commodity or a service that people are willing or able to buy at a certain price." It is clear that the demand for the product at MSRP is greater when resellers are factored into the equation, there are simply more people involved. However, the very inclusion of a reseller will increase the market price for a product. Increasing the price decreases the demand, a basic tenet of the law of supply and demand. So long as the total quantity of a commodity or service (SNES Classic) are being purchased by consumers, at either MSRP or after-market value, the demand has not changed.

If left to their own devices, resellers could always try to drive the market price up...beyond the point which (some) consumers are willing to pay. In this case, the economic demand for the product would actually decrease, since the total quantity of a commodity/service that people are willing/able to buy at this price would become lower. This is unlikely to happen, since the reseller price point will naturally tend to gravitate toward the price which people are willing to pay. So long as retailer inventory is moving to buyers, the demand for the product remains constant (and above the level of supply).

This all goes back to my initial point - a reseller has absolutely no bearing on the long-term demand for a product, since they do not intend to keep the product. Collectors, on the other hand, DO factor into the demand since their purchase effectively removes the product from available supply. Of course, a collector may eventually sell their product (there is a grey area between what we define as a short-term collector and a reseller), but this eventual sale will generally occur at the price point defined by the current market for the product (the demand).

EDIT: fuck it, this isn't getting anywhere. Just answer this question:

Reselling is illegal. How difficult does it become to get a preorder? Does it stay the same, get harder or get easier?

It really annoys me that this thread isn't in videogame deals. 

But besides that, I did get an I n store preorder from Gamestop and the cheapest think geek bundle. Did not get a thinkgeek confirmation email though, no paypal charge but was preapproved for the charge. Not sure what's going on there but hopefully it's good.

snes is dead and buried, no more for ever....  so let's speculate:

N64 classic will have 

ocarina of time **

majora's mask **

wave race

mario kart

mario 64

f-zero x

star fox

kirby

yoshi's story

rogue squadron

paper mario

mario golf (licensing?)

mario tennis (licensing?)

cruisin?

maybe not due to licensing from rare?:

donkey kong 64

diddy kong 

banjo 1 ,2  

conker !!!!  (probably not)

goldeneye

perfect dark

jet force gemini

So although I wasn't too excited for one, now looking at these games makes me think this will be super popular if made.  If they could get some of the off-beat games like space station silicon valley and others as fillers, it would be even better. They could just put the 2 zeldas and paint it gold and sell out like crazy.  If they include multiple controllers or make them easier to find separately, they could also add mario party, super smash bros, and it would become the party system of the season.  My guess will be 10-15 games and 2-4 controllers for $100.

It really annoys me that this thread isn't in videogame deals.

But besides that, I did get an I n store preorder from Gamestop and the cheapest think geek bundle. Did not get a thinkgeek confirmation email though, no paypal charge but was preapproved for the charge. Not sure what's going on there but hopefully it's good.
If you don't actually need two, I'd be willing to buy the ThinkGeek bundle from you. I'm desperate. I'd trade my Scorpio Edition pre-order if I could!

Reselling is illegal. How difficult does it become to get a preorder? Does it stay the same, get harder or get easier?
Exactly. While there probably still wouldn't be enough to fulfill the overall demand, most of those that truly wanted one would in all likelihood be able to get one with only some extra effort.

Reselling/scalping is a scourge, but retailers don't give a shit as long as their on hand stock keeps selling. Amazon and eBay care even less, as they probably profit more on the secondary sales via fees than they do on the first sale.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

snes is dead and buried, no more for ever.... so let's speculate:

N64 classic will have
ocarina of time **
majora's mask **
wave race
mario kart
mario 64
f-zero x
star fox
kirby
yoshi's story
rogue squadron
paper mario
donkey kong 64 (was this by rare?)
mario golf (licensing?)
mario tennis (licensing?)

diddy kong
banjo 1 ,2
conker !!!! (probably not)
perfect dark
jet force gemini

So although I wasn't too excited for one, now looking at these games makes me think this will be super popular if made. If they could get some of the off-beat games like space station silicon valley and others as fillers, it would be even better. They could just put the 2 zeldas and paint it gold and sell out like crazy. If they include multiple controllers or make them easier to find separately, they could also add mario party, super smash bros, and it would become the party system of the season. My guess will be 10-15 games and 2-4 controllers for $100.
DK64 is Rare, yes. I don't know what kind of licensing we'd be dealing with. Has any of those games been offered on the VC or eshop at any point.

Imo, the nostalgia falls off a cliff after snes. A GB Classic or even GBA Classic would be a better option.

Amazon and eBay care even less, as they probably profit more on the secondary sales via fees than they do on the first sale.
Probably why amazon didn't limit quantity on the preorders. They want return business from the same people as sellers with multiples to make another $20+ in fees per unit.

N64 classic will have

ocarina of time **

majora's mask **

wave race

mario kart

mario 64

f-zero x

star fox

kirby

yoshi's story

rogue squadron

paper mario

donkey kong 64 (was this by rare?)

mario golf (licensing?)

cruisin?

diddy kong

banjo 1 ,2

goldeneye

perfect dark

jet force gemini

So although I wasn't too excited for one, now looking at these games makes me think this will be super popular if made. If they could get some of the off-beat games like space station silicon valley and others as fillers, it would be even better. They could just put the 2 zeldas and paint it gold and sell out like crazy. If they include multiple controllers or make them easier to find separately, they could also add mario party, super smash bros, and it would become the party system of the season. My guess will be 10-15 games and 2-4 controllers for $100.
Goldeneye and Perfect Dark is most fun with 4 players...so unless they make 4 controllers or have multi-player online it probably will not happen.

Or they just make you buy 2 more controllers...

I'm not disagreeing with you either. To be fair I never really hear anyone actively take about video games anymore. People play them of course but it's not "Let's go play Halo / Mario / whatever". But the NES Classic never even came close to meeting demand which just made Nintendo look more out of touch with gaming in 2016. They should make them until the demand / buzz dies down. If a company wants to make money they shouldn't make their fans go out of their way for a product. More so when you can just play emulators.

N64 classic will have
ocarina of time **
majora's mask **
wave race
mario kart
mario 64
f-zero x
star fox
kirby
yoshi's story
rogue squadron
paper mario
mario golf (licensing?)
cruisin?

donkey kong 64
diddy kong
banjo 1 ,2
goldeneye
perfect dark
jet force gemini

No Pokemon? Pokemon Stadium and Pokemon Snap would be shoo-ins for an N64 classic.

Like the NES and SNES Classics, they would probably want a few third-party games to round out the system. Too bad there aren't many on the N64, but I think cases could be made for StarCraft 64, Quest 64, and Harvest Moon 64 (though I hear the latter never showed up on VC because it's that hard to properly emulate).

However, I agree with portnoyd in that Game Boy and/or GBA Classics would be much better uses of Nintendo's time. Though now that I think about it, the Tetris license would be a problem when it comes to the former...

And no, I do not have a degree in economics. :) I have always found economics to be a very logical discipline, greatly complimented by an understanding of models and dynamic response. It's become something akin to a hobby in the past decade, though slightly more beneficial to (1) feed my interests as a gamer and (2) assist in our household financial arena.
Complemented

I have a degree in journalism, with a minor in English. 😉

Count me among those uninterested in an N64 classic. Early 3d games on the ps1 and N64 haven't aged nearly as well as the SNES generation. Plus, as others have mentioned, most of the true classics have been rereleased in some form since. Plus the controller sucked (opinion).

After the many sleepless hours yesterday, I thought that I read somewhere that the snes will have a rewind feature? Is this true?
You read right. The SNES Classic will have a rewind feature.

I stole this from Wario's Twitter

[attachment=27719:IMG_4303.JPG]

I look at it this way, now that this bot is widely available or will be soon, it evens the playing field for everyone. You know longer need to be a computer whiz to create your own bot or how to program it. Retailers don't care as long as they sell 100% of their inventory. Nintendo won't do anything about it because they like this artificial shortage as it creates demand for their products. If everyone used bots, there would be not clear advantage for anyone. I think this guy has just found a niche market and is capitalizing on it. Gotta pay to play!

My in-store pre-order is showing up in the GS app now, but weird like I've seen other people mention. Can't wait to pick up my Available SKU on 12/31/17 after I pay off the remaining balance of $974.99.

I look at it this way, now that this bot is widely available or will be soon, it evens the playing field for everyone. You know longer need to be a computer whiz to create your own bot or how to program it. Retailers don't care as long as they sell 100% of their inventory. Nintendo won't do anything about it because they like this artificial shortage as it creates demand for their products. If everyone used bots, there would be not clear advantage for anyone. I think this guy has just found a niche market and is capitalizing on it. Gotta pay to play!
What are you talking about? I have no clue how to run bots let alone where to get one of these.

I built my own computer and know the LG OLED is the best tv mankind has ever made, but I don't know how to code. This un levels the playing field if anything

GRUMBLE GRUMBLE GRUMBLE .... this is why Walmart sold out in ONE minute. How is that level?

EDIT: I'm not a disgruntled anything; I got my PO at GS yesterday. But this bot business is not cool.

What are you talking about? I have no clue how to run bots let alone where to get one of these.

I built my own computer and know the LG OLED is the best tv mankind has ever made, but I don't know how to code. This un levels the playing field if anything

GRUMBLE GRUMBLE GRUMBLE .... this is why Walmart sold out in ONE minute. How is that level?

EDIT: I'm not a disgruntled anything; I got my PO at GS yesterday. But this bot business is not cool.
That's why I say or "will be soon". I am sure he is working to find a way the average joe can run his bot, maybe not for the SNES classic, but I am sure by the time the N64 classic comes out. I don't like it as much as you, but it seems he is creating a business around Nintendo's shortcoming of under producing everything they release.

Judgement Day.
terminator-2-crushed-skull-o.gif

Actually, reselling items that you legally bought as an individual (not a corporation or business) is perfectly legal in the USA. Its gets sticky if someone is turning this into a business venture, not an isolated case of "I'm selling my one item." There are tax and warranty implications that may need to be considered when dealing with an electronic device (such as a SNES Classic), but nothing that can't be overcome with careful consideration.

Make no mistake, I have no intention to encourage, enable, or advocate the practice of reselling through any of my discussions. I'm being practical and analyzing the situation for what it is: a legal reality.

From your perspective, reselling will most certainly make it more challenging for you to secure a preorder, and likely the final product at release. However, that distinction is only valid in the short term - over time, either the resellers will find another purchaser (at an inflated price) or the product will be returned to retail channels.

Remember - nobody is entitled to anything. Just because a good of trade is provided by the manufacturer does not give you (or anyone) the right to purchase it. Availability can and always will be an issue...for anything of sale. It's been said many times before: the best way to combat reselling (if it gets under your skin) is to not support it. Its existence is fueled by enablers.

Whatever.  I got classic pre-orders without having to pay for a $110 bot.   That's uhh kinda what this site is for. 

bread's done
Back