SNES not responding to controllers?

Backlash

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
I've recently been having problems where the input from my controllers does not seem to reach my SNES correctly. They sort of work, but sometimes there's lag or the button press just doesn't register. I thought it was my controller at first, but all 3 of my controllers seem to have this problem, so now I'm thinking it's the console itself.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Is there anything I can do other than buying another (obviously used) console and hoping for the best?

No, a regular tv. Would the connection to the TV matter? I assumed only the connection between the controller and the console would matter. I am switching the RF connector between the 8-bit NES and Super NES, depending on which one I'm playing (i.e. I leave it hooked up to the TV and just plug it into whichever console I want to play).

[quote name='Backlash']I've recently been having problems where the input from my controllers does not seem to reach my SNES correctly. They sort of work, but sometimes there's lag or the button press just doesn't register. I thought it was my controller at first, but all 3 of my controllers seem to have this problem, so now I'm thinking it's the console itself.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Is there anything I can do other than buying another (obviously used) console and hoping for the best?[/QUOTE]

I have heard of the cables connecting the controller ports to the mainboard going bad (inside the console). I guess that it is not a difficult fix if you are comfortable taking the thing apart. But more often it is the controllers going bad - It is not outside the realm of possibility that all 3 controllers have gone bad. I would start by buying a 3rd party new controller (usually between $5-$10) and if that has the same problem - then I would consider sending the console out for repair or getting a new one.

I think you'd be better off taking the controller apart and cleaning it with a contact cleaner, then reassembling it. I've done it multiple times for my snes controllers. It does wonders. Third party controllers seem somewhat hit or miss to me. I bought a couple of "brand new" ones off of ebay and the controls had missed inputs right off the bat. The seller gave me a refund and I threw them away rather than work with them.

[quote name='Backlash']No, a regular tv. Would the connection to the TV matter? [/QUOTE]

The TV could cause lag, but it would be consistent and wouldn't appear as a missed button press. I had an issue with the snes and my hdtv. There are some mods you can do, but I found it easiest to just use rf cable. When I used the AV cable the TV tried to upscale the image to look better. The rf cable it just blows it up and there was no lag. But you already said you're using the rf cable so even if it was an hdtv, I doubt that'd be your issue.

Thanks guys. I'll look into taking apart the controllers and cleaning them. At least one of them. Never tried that before so it will be an adventure.

bread's done
Back