So are we getting Electroplankton?

moiety

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I've been waiting so long to hear word of a US release, especially since it was featured at E3. I really want it, but I want to hold off for a domestic release rather than import it. I'm just really surprised that nothing's been said about it. What's the deal?

I'd like to know this also. I'm just about ready to import it. It looks so neat. But I'd rather save the cash and get it here...

Why do people keep doubting it? GameFAQs, Gamespot, EB, and Gamestop all have a US release date listed for it. I don't see why they wouldn't bring it over.

it's definitely not coming out on 11/14... that's just a placeholder date. you'll notice that EB has a lot of games listed as coming out on 11/14 and 11/15 but few of them actually will. hell, they have some games listed twice, once with the actual date and once with this old placeholder date. gamestop lists it as coming 11/1. you can't believe some of these retailer dates.

personally, i don't think electroplankton will see an american release. nothing has been said of it since E3, and american audiences just won't understand the game at all. even reggie once said that if electroplankton sees a domestic release, it would have to undergo major changes, and perhaps become a totally new game with hip-hop music and something other than plankton.

when the DS was first announced, we were promised an american release of daigasso band brothers (aka jam with the band) and we've still not seen anything more about it. i think the same will happen with electroplankton. it was shown and hyped at E3 as a way to get people (retailers and press) excited about the DS. i don't think it was ever actually intended to be a released title, over-zealous fans just took it's E3 appearance too far.

on the off chance that it DOES find a way here, it won't be until early 2006, when game releases are usually slow. but with metroid prime hunters and a few other titles promised to be released then, and nintendo's desire to build a solid online community for the DS in 2006, i doubt they'll waste their time and efforts with a game like electroplankton.

so import away, i say... just don't blame me if i'm wrong.

I think this game has a better chance of finding the US than Daigasso. In March-ish, they're gonna want to have some decent games, and after the hype of AC and Mario Kart die down, what's left besides Hunters?

Electroplankton, that's what.

what's left?

metroid prime hunters for a january/february release
new super mario bros for a march/april release

and there's still the possibility of "touch golf" which could make for a cool new online title for nintendo's brand new online service, so as not to leave people feeling like nintendo started online games, but didn't follow through. seems that golf would cater to this online strategy a lot better than electroplankton...

and you never know what nintendo's gonna whip out on us, or when they'll decide to unveil it. when do the pokemon DS games release? spring would be a great time for that puzzle one, leading up to a summer release for the pokemon ranger games, and a holiday 2006 release of pearl/diamond. i'd expect to see super princess peach coming over here at some point... that would make a good springtime release.

given everything we know (and don't know), i think it's almost ridiculous to assume that electroplankton is still coming out here. there's still a chance, i'm not denying that, but i think it's pretty small at this point.

just because it's not been announced of any news in forever for this game dosn't mean it won't release. Animal crossing has barel had any news ever and we all know it's comming to the US for sure. Plus, nintendo would be almost too stupid to not port it since they made such a huge deal out of it at E3 and the fact that there is relitivly nothing much needed to translate... only one of the plankton react to what you say in japanese, so that's probably the biggest deal with it.

IMHO The box art and earphones kick the US package. I imported this about a week after its release and it's really nice. Don't expect to play for long periods, it's more like soemthing you'll play with between games and later down the road. It's a timeless thing, so you won't get imediate enjoyment out of it. I love it though.

Are the headphones just regular earbuds with a Nintendo logo on them or are they high-quality/special that we should import Electroplankton for?

[quote name='snipegod']Are the headphones just regular earbuds with a Nintendo logo on them or are they high-quality/special that we should import Electroplankton for?[/QUOTE]

No, they're just standard crappy ear buds. I dunno, maybe their nice, but not as nice as my Apple in-ear ones. Those things rock.

I kept the EP ones in their baggy, unused. Collectior's item you know!!! :roll:

Seriously, though, EP was awesome. Everyone should get it. I dare say it'll be 1/2 a year before we get it here as is stated above. There's just an unending stream of quality titles coming till then.

daroga

I want to import the game just for the satisfaction of knowing I got SOMETHING extra from Nintendo. The damn Japanese get all the cool styluses and stuff. Finally Nintendo decides to give us a pink stylus. I want the Pac Pix Pencil!!

Also, if all goes well and I get my last paycheck from my summer job soon, I think I may end up getting this from YesAsia

not at all... almost all the text is written in both japanese and english.

the only thing you won't be able to read is the manual to learn all the little tricks with each plankton, but most of those are available somewhere online if you want to find them. i think it's more fun to just experiment on your own with it and discover those tricks yourself.

there's a part of me that thinks the american release (if there is one) should be an exact duplicate of the japanese one... no translation, japanese manual, etc... because (i feel at least) that part of the game's fun and part of the game's art is in that personal discovery process. it lets you appreciate the uniqueness more if you don't have a clue how to play at first.

but we all know that's not going to happen...

FWIW, I picked up one of those free Nintendo 2005 catalogs at Target yesterday and it listed Elecroplankton as one of the games coming soon to the DS. No mention of a date, but it did have a little blurb about it.

the manual is no biggy since almost everything in it explains itself through some cool little artsy pictures (i think done by Toshio himself). It's more of an experimental application than a game... but really sweet.

I'd be really bummed if Nintendo didn't bring this out stateside.

They've got a quirky system and there are already a bunch of quirky games like FTM, WW:Touched, Nintendogs, etc., that are selling pretty well. I can't see why Electroplankton wouldn't be a no-brainer to further distinguish the DS as a totally unique gaming experience.

i read somewhere that atlus was trying to purchase the localization rights for Ouendan, similar to how they released Cubivore...

could have been just a rumor, i'm not sure... don't remember where i read it... and if it's true, i'm not sure how that negotiation turned out... but i could definitely see it happening...

[quote name='praystation']i don't get it. Elektroplankton? it's not even a game. Are you guys really desperate for a good DS game?[/QUOTE]

From what i've heard, it's the type of game that you either love or hate. If they do release here, I think they should do it when the DS goes through another dry period (if it ever does). I'd like to try it out, but not at full price.

[quote name='praystation']i don't get it. Elektroplankton? it's not even a game. Are you guys really desperate for a good DS game?[/QUOTE]

um, is nintendogs really a game? i could see this coming out here just because nintendogs is such a hit. non-games are the new games.
i still can't believe people play nintendogs. i'd rather have jackie chan kick my head off than play nintendogs. i'd rather play fuck!

[quote name='praystation']I tried it. It feels like playing fantavision on ps2.[/QUOTE]

If you're not into music, EP can be a snorefest. But for those of us who really dig music and/or have heavy music education backgrounds, the sheer genius of most of the sets are amazing.

Are we desperate for a good DS game? That question seems to imply that there are no good DS games on the horizon, so that really should've answered itself.

daroga

[quote name='DocRamon']i read somewhere that atlus was trying to purchase the localization rights for Ouendan, similar to how they released Cubivore...

could have been just a rumor, i'm not sure... don't remember where i read it... and if it's true, i'm not sure how that negotiation turned out... but i could definitely see it happening...[/QUOTE]

I imported it a while ago and it's an awesome game, but I think they'd somehow mutilate it when bringing here....they'd Americanize it.

I like music too. My dad is a composer, arranger, translator, my mom sings both soprano and alto in church choir, my sister has her piano CDs for in Sf Bay area (she also teaches church choir and sings all SATB since some old guys at church dunno music). My Bro plays piano and used to be a drummer for SJSU band. and me.. well I play drumset too (just the worst in the family). But I just dont see the point of buying something like that to play on my DS. and yeah, I mean, Good games like castlevania is coming. why this? and about ouendan, it would be a nightmare if they americanized it (it would make us look super silly tapping the screen with the stylus while the background music is playing Britney spears crap).

If they did bring Ouendan here, I'm sure they'd still keep the J-Pop thing going.

I'd love to play something like that on my DS. It would be a great stress reliever or thing to sit down with.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Ouendon would be awsome if it was brought here... I would import it, but I heard it's semi-japanese text heavy... so... errr... I want it so bad :([/QUOTE]

Actually, Ouendan is probably one of the most import friendly games there is.

I do not know one lick of Japanese, and I only used an online FAQ to navigate the three menu screens. All you do is tap little circles and stuff. Japanese knowledge is needed to read the mocic panels, but the story is pretty drawn out and undertsandable to use illiterate in the Japanese language. Import it, you'll be a happy camper.

Brought the DS to work tonight and just let the Nanocarp do their own thing... it's like a windchime. Hands-off games. Gotta love that. ;)

daroga

I doubt they'd bring it over during holiday, only becuase it would be shadowed by Mario Kart and Animal Crossing, as well as Mario and Luigi 2, if that come shere by then, as well as New Mario, though that won't be here by then.

I played a demo of this the other day and I must be stupid because I just didn't "Get" it. I'd hardly consider it a game, more like a uh...Past time...as in to pass the time. heh. The thing is that I love different games like this that try to do something out of the ordinary.
Its one of the reasons I am excited about owning a DS in the first place, however once again.....I'm at a loss on this one.

I'd be really shocked to see it over here myself but stranger things have happened and I'd be open to seeing it released here even if I don't have interest in it.

Not as desperate a PSP owner is for games, period.

Love them or not, at least the DS has and for the future as well, a growing viable library of games.

If anything my WALLET is desperate for relief, it can't keep up with the influx of great games! :drool:

[quote name='Womp']If anything my WALLET is desperate for relief, it can't keep up with the influx of great games! :drool:[/QUOTE]

Seriously... my biggest problem is a lack of time and gamer fatigue. :) Must be strange to own a video game system where the new release list is mostly movies on a b.s. format and rehashes of games you just played a year ago on another system.

You often hear whining about Nintendo systems not getting support and lacking games, but damn... even when I was in college I didn't have the amount of free time I would need to be able to play everything I want to on the GCN/DS/GBA.

[quote name='Womp']I'd be really shocked to see it over here myself but stranger things have happened and I'd be open to seeing it released here even if I don't have interest in it.[/QUOTE]

They brought Katamari Damacy over here, didn't they? :D

[quote name='sixersballernum3']They brought Katamari Damacy over here, didn't they? :D[/QUOTE]

Never played it, but point taken since that game takes the weirdness factor to the near limit (Seaman holds the top honor IMO).

I sold my PS2 a couple years ago so I never had a chance to try Katamari, seems pretty cool and its a shame a DS port isn't coming since the stylus would probably be a damn cool way to control the game.

Anyway, I'm all for supporting "Different" types of games coming to the USA even if I have no interest in ALL of them. The more the merrier...and its good for the industry as a whole.

Yea, I just recently got sucked into the Katamari deal. But if I knew about it before it hit our shores, I would never have guessed it would come here. It is a WEIRD game.

On the flip side, I've never played Seaman, but seen videos and shots of it. Looks......odd. =\

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember hearing reports of a possible DS Katamri.

[quote name='sixersballernum3']Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I remember hearing reports of a possible DS Katamri.[/QUOTE]

you're right, they did report it...

but it's since been canned. forget where i read it... ign maybe? for whatever reason, they decided to drop DS and focus katamari on PSP, probably since that's where (sony fans) the original became a hit.

[quote name='DocRamon']you're right, they did report it...

but it's since been canned. forget where i read it... ign maybe? for whatever reason, they decided to drop DS and focus katamari on PSP, probably since that's where (sony fans) the original became a hit.[/QUOTE]

Thats what I read as well and supposedly the control on it is very hit or miss. I heard some complain and others say its not so bad, but seriously the original used dual analog (Like I said, I never played it but I've seen how it works) and playing games with 1 analog and 4 buttons to circumvent what is essentially dual analog looks a bit ehh. Those Dreamcast games (Such as Quake and Unreal) were a BITCH with that control scheme.

It is a shame the DS port was canned as the graphics were never really the best on PS2 as it is and the 3D probably would have transferred over nicely, as would the control.

Official release date: January 9, 2006.

icon7.gif

Damn, that seems so far far away. I don't think I'll be able to hold out much longer. Looks like I'll have to import it =/

[quote name='evilmax17']Official release date: January 9, 2006.

icon7.gif
[/QUOTE]

This is smart to me... Nintendo had a HUGE post-holiday lull on the DS last year. With this and Hunters already scheduled for the first quater, it's clear that the onslaught of quality DS titles will not end come Christmas.

something interesting...

after seeing this, i decided to check a few other places to see if anywhere else mentioned this new date... the nintendo press site did not, but the regular nintendo website (nintendo.com) did on the game page for electroplankton.

i logged on to the nintendo boards to see if anyone had mentioned it. nobody had. so i created a new topic about it... "electroplankton gets dated" and told everyone the release date and linked to the game page that had the date.

about 10 minutes later, i returned and refreshed to see if anyone had commented on it. the topic was missing. i checked my "recent posts" and it was gone from there too. someone had deleted the topic. i went back to check the electroplankton game page, and it's now back to saying just "announced" like before.

so... either this date was a total mistake, or just announced earlier than nintendo had planned. i don't understand though. if it WAS a mistake, why wouldn't they just change the date on the game page and leave my topic. sure, i'd look like an ass, but really... why bother deleting my topic unless this information was meant to be classified or something. and if it's NOT a mistake, why not just leave it all posted and have the date announced?

regardless... i'm confused and something wacky is definitely going on here.

[quote name='DocRamon']something interesting...

after seeing this, i decided to check a few other places to see if anywhere else mentioned this new date... the nintendo press site did not, but the regular nintendo website (nintendo.com) did on the game page for electroplankton.

i logged on to the nintendo boards to see if anyone had mentioned it. nobody had. so i created a new topic about it... "electroplankton gets dated" and told everyone the release date and linked to the game page that had the date.

about 10 minutes later, i returned and refreshed to see if anyone had commented on it. the topic was missing. i checked my "recent posts" and it was gone from there too. someone had deleted the topic. i went back to check the electroplankton game page, and it's now back to saying just "announced" like before.

so... either this date was a total mistake, or just announced earlier than nintendo had planned. i don't understand though. if it WAS a mistake, why wouldn't they just change the date on the game page and leave my topic. sure, i'd look like an ass, but really... why bother deleting my topic unless this information was meant to be classified or something. and if it's NOT a mistake, why not just leave it all posted and have the date announced?

regardless... i'm confused and something wacky is definitely going on here.[/QUOTE]

That is very, very odd.

bread's done
Back