So.. best deal on 360? And Premium vs Elite and why?

Sartori

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
So I think I'm finally about to cave.

Mostly because I'll be getting broadband again and it's getting about time to pick one up. Unlike XBX, 360 actually has some decent games.

So my question is as follows:

What's the best deal right now? Is Elite really worth bothering for over Premium? What are the differences primarily? The one I'm primarily aware of is the HDMI out cable that comes with it.

Does that imply that the standard 360 ("standard" being premium in the case of this post) does not support HDMI out?

If that's the case, wouldn't that be a non-factor in owning the Elite for that reason? I have HDMI capable tv, but... is it worth it? IS there a difference compared to the best HD cables? Also, what are the best HD cables? Does the premium come packaged with the best I can get for the Premium version?

Also, does anyone know if any current deals? IE: Buy at Comp USA with a Comp USA card = no interest for 6 months, but ... any other thoughts?

And 100 USD for a wireless adapter? WTF.
\

I've been feeling like I'm about to cave and get one myself for a while now, too. Too many other expenses have kept me from pulling the trigger so far.

I think the main difference between the Premium and the Elite, besides the HDMI, is the 120 gig HD. Unless you plan on downloading lots of movies and TV shows from XBox Live, that may be excessive for your needs.

I can't really speak to the technical questions with any authority since the TV in my living room was manufactured sometime in the early 80's, but this article might help: http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/26/xbox-360-elite-vs-classic-the-test/

I don't know of any deals right now on either version. Occasionally there will be a deal where you get a free controller or game or store gift card when you buy the system, but I'm not sure if any of the big chains have anything like that going on right now.

Wish I could have been more help.

Yes the only huge differences are the 120gb HD and the HDMI output. It does come with a HDMI cable which is a nice throw in. From what I have been hearing there is nothing that different about the Elite other than those 2 things. The Elites do not have the upgraded chips in them and other than some cosmetic changes there are no huge differences between the Pro and Elite. Also, I have read that it is very difficult to see any real difference in the picture quality using the HDMI cable unless you have a very large high quality HDTV.

Microsoft has been saying that the Elite shoudl be an option for those who do not currently have a 360 and that current owners should just get the new HD. One thing tied to that is that there is no data transfer cable to move your data from your current HD to the new HD included. Although you can get one for free from Microsoft through their website. Regardless the transfer process erases your old HD when it moves the data over to the new drive. Due to digital rights management, any games you downloaded can only be played while you are connected to XBL if you migrate it over, which stinks for some that dont have their system connected 24/7.

I actually caved and bought one when it came out even though I have a Pro model and no HDMI port on my TV. I have never even opened it up and think I will end up returning it. Oh well.

If you don't have either one, and are considering it, get an Elite.

It has a lot bigger drive, which may or may not be useful to you, but consider an episode of CSI in HD downloaded is 2 gig. That's 10% of the drive for the Premium right there.

The HDMI will be nice to have. Even if you don't use it now, you may upgrade a TV over the life of the console. Its better to be prepared than have to trade up later.

As far as component vs. HDMI, I'm not sure how much better it will look in HDMI. You won't know until you try it. Games in HD look fantastic...

TBW

If I were buying, I'd get the elite because of the HDMI (i need the connector) and while the 120 gigs are unecessary now... I think IPTV will utilize it and/or require it, and IPTV sounds like something I'm going to want. If I change my mind- if MS doesnt implement IPTV in a good way, then it's no big deal, I'm "out" $80. But if I get the premium, I'd need to spend another $180 to upgrade the HD (and I'd not get HDMI) so I'd be "out" $100.

bread's done
Back