So Contact is out right now!

[quote name='botticus']I assume the Mochi decal is restored to you when you talk to the Professor again, like the ship decal?[/QUOTE]

Yep, all your decals get refilled when you talk to the professor.

[quote name='yukine']I don't know whether or not to get Contact, Okami, or Bully.

Which game would you guys choose? :D[/QUOTE]

Why choose just one?

[quote name='botticus']I just got to Ft. Eagle, gonna start running around there tomorrow. Had to seriously stock up on potions on the last island, there's some badass people in that base.

Only thing I'm lacking in terms of weapons is a good hand-to-hand one. The best one I have is the claw, and that has an offense of 10, compared to the striking and slashing weapons with offense of 18-22.

I'm really starting to love this one; it takes a while to start figuring out the intricacies, and really the decal system still escapes me a little bit (as far as what I should really be doing tactically with all the ? decals), but it's really an enjoyable game.

I do wish the reviews had been a little less harsh on the combat system. It's been said a few times, but it's not very different from a number of real-time combat systems. You can call down special attacks, run, whatever, you just don't hit A every time to pound someone.[/QUOTE]

Man, you guys have gotten WAY ahead of me - you're talkin' gibberish now :D. I used a '?' decal to turn some enemy into a cow the other day. What do you mean "check them" RF? I thought they just transformed enemies - you mean what they transform them into? I keep finding '?' decals when I fight - had no idea the professor would give you more. I had been hesitant to use them because it warns you early on that they disappear once used. Maybe I'll bring Mochi out for the next big fight.

[quote name='LancerEvoX']Bleh... I was hoping to pricematch the Fry's ad at circuit city or bestbuy. I hope my local bestbuy still carries the gamer giftcards (since the ad expires tuesday).[/QUOTE]

Note, you cannot pricematch and use GGC at the same time [their system doesn't allow it]. The only exception would be if you get an override... or have someone new working the register. So this method is entirely YMMV and most likely not going to work.

[quote name='io']Man, you guys have gotten WAY ahead of me - you're talkin' gibberish now :D. I used a '?' decal to turn some enemy into a cow the other day. What do you mean "check them" RF? I thought they just transformed enemies - you mean what they transform them into? I keep finding '?' decals when I fight - had no idea the professor would give you more. I had been hesitant to use them because it warns you early on that they disappear once used. Maybe I'll bring Mochi out for the next big fight.[/quote]There are two kinds of ? decals. The one the professor gives you, and the ones that show up on your menu screen under the "?" tab. They have all sorts of stat boosts, and you can have 4 decals applied at any time. All I've been doing is putting the first 4 I get on, and then every time I get a new one, I see if it seems more useful than one of the others, and replace it if so. Otherwise it gets trashed.

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']Just picked this game up from BB for $25. I think I love this game.[/quote]
None of my BBs have it. Will check around this week.

-HM

I checked two TRUs in southeast Mass.--no luck there, either. I believe someone said in the TRU B2G1 thread that they typically get new games on Tuesday or Wednesday, although I'm sure that varies from store to store.

[quote name='io']Man, you guys have gotten WAY ahead of me - you're talkin' gibberish now :D. I used a '?' decal to turn some enemy into a cow the other day. What do you mean "check them" RF? I thought they just transformed enemies - you mean what they transform them into? I keep finding '?' decals when I fight - had no idea the professor would give you more. I had been hesitant to use them because it warns you early on that they disappear once used. Maybe I'll bring Mochi out for the next big fight.[/QUOTE]

Botticus is right. The option is under the '?' tab in your menus. Each time you pick up a ? decal you can check it for stat boosts. Additionally, I strongly advise you to level up Mochi if you're going to use him, less he do only 1HP per use. I have him doing upwards of a 1,000HP now in addition to stunning the target, and I just left Ft Eagle.

I am now at the next island which has
ancient pyramids and a desert town
. Be advised that the island is where you can get a new outfit:
the race care driver a.ka. NITRO BOOST. It's a fire elemental suit.
And get the two items you need to get the Shadow Thief and Fishing King outfits. If you need that info, let me know.

This game is, thus far, quite awesome. Oldschool feel with an entertaining setting/story.

Now that you guys have had it for a few days, buy or no buy? I'm pressed for cash, with the Wii coming out and all, but I might be able to slip in one DS purchase.

[quote name='Z-Saber']Now that you guys have had it for a few days, buy or no buy? I'm pressed for cash, with the Wii coming out and all, but I might be able to slip in one DS purchase.[/QUOTE]

I'd buy it. I paid $12 out of pocket for it thanks to GS, and I feel like it would've been worth full price. Especially if you can get it sub $30 with google checkout, or something.

It's very old-school, hence it has my buy endorsement.

And I have a Flyboy costume, which is always super. Too bad I didn't get it until after beating the level during which it would have been most useful.

[quote name='halu102']Note, you cannot pricematch and use GGC at the same time [their system doesn't allow it]. The only exception would be if you get an override... or have someone new working the register. So this method is entirely YMMV and most likely not going to work.[/quote]

Oh I know about that. I was trying to say if I cant get the game for $25 via pricematching, I'll use the gamer gift card to get it for $25 at bestbuy (since bestbuy's regular price is $30 for Contact). My biggest problem is I'm impatient, I want contact now.

I'm liking the game quite a bit. It's a little slow paced in the beginning, and the battle system isn't anything real innovative, but it's got a lot of personality and that makes up for some gameplay shortcomings.

I always look forward to saving so I can play with mochi(or machi or something), the space dog that wants to be a space cat.. lol

I am getting more and more addicted to this game. I actually like the battle system. Definitely like it more than random turnbased battles.

This game also seems to gives off a Cave Story like vibe. The whole not knowing what the backstory is and being led by a professor that knows much more than you.

Also, this game seems to be getting a sequel. The team that made it is forming their own develoment studio apart from Grasshopper. I didn't know that the director also did the Shining Soul series, which explains some of the similarities.

[quote name='jer7583']I'm liking the game quite a bit. It's a little slow paced in the beginning, and the battle system isn't anything real innovative, but it's got a lot of personality and that makes up for some gameplay shortcomings.

I always look forward to saving so I can play with mochi(or machi or something), the space dog that wants to be a space cat.. lol[/quote]

You get play with the dog everytime u save the game? Is it just for fun or does it have meaning? Sounds fun...Hoping I get it today!

[quote name='Tyvan']You get play with the dog everytime u save the game? Is it just for fun or does it have meaning? Sounds fun...Hoping I get it today![/QUOTE]

Supposedly it makes him stronger for when you call him to "fight" for you. However, I've called him twice: once he did nothing, and the other time he hit the 8 guys surrounding me for a whopping 1 point damage each. So I'm not sure how the hell I'm supposed to play with him - I click on all his spots (food, computer, scratching board, bed) and get lots of happy faces, but it doesn't seem to matter. It is possible that both of those times I skipped playing with him (and hit the alarm clock instead just to cut it short). Maybe you need to play with him the right way for that exact time you are out and call him? I had thought it was a cumulative thing and was surprised he did nothing. Note that it is nothing like Nintendogs-style playing. It is simply (as far as I can tell) clicking on the 4 or 5 "hot spots" in the ship to direct him to various activities. Sometimes when I click on him he barkmeows at me and sometimes he makes happy faces.

I finally got the frying pan (from the middle-of-nowhere vending maching at Ft. Eagle). Then I got a sticker that upped my cooking skills. Then I cooked a bunch and was finally able to make 2 ingredient recipes. I had no idea you needed to practice a bunch before you are able to do that as the game never really lets you know about such things. But, that's kind of what makes the game so fun - there's a lot to discover on your own. And now I get what the '?' decals are (the ones you find, anyway, as opposed to the "?" decal the professor gives you). You can paste up to 4 of them on yourself and increase specific stats. When you want to add another, though, you have to toss one of the 4.

To the guy who asked - yes, if you are at all into RPG/Adventuring type gaming (and this is sort of a hybrid of the 2) then YES. To someone that hates RPGs, I'm not sure I'd recommend it though.

[quote name='io']Supposedly it makes him stronger for when you call him to "fight" for you. However, I've called him twice: once he did nothing, and the other time he hit the 8 guys surrounding me for a whopping 1 point damage each. So I'm not sure how the hell I'm supposed to play with him - I click on all his spots (food, computer, scratching board, bed) and get lots of happy faces, but it doesn't seem to matter. It is possible that both of those times I skipped playing with him (and hit the alarm clock instead just to cut it short). Maybe you need to play with him the right way for that exact time you are out and call him? I had thought it was a cumulative thing and was surprised he did nothing.

[/QUOTE]

Mochi is a powerhouse. You just have to know how to level him up, and it IS cummulative. I can't hold it in any longer, here's what you do:

When you get to play with Mochi, tap a part of the screen below where he is sitting. Then, gently drag the stylus across Mochi. This should make him roll onto his back (if it doesn't work from the bottom, try from the left or the right. IT IS VITAL THAT YOU DO NOT TAP MOCHI FIRST, tap a spot AWAY from him and drag the stylus towards him). At anyrate, once Mochi is on his back, rapidly tap his body(this can be hard as mochi fidgets around, so if he stops responding to your taps, try tapping a slightly different spot on his body). You should be able to get 30-40 smiley faces before he gets back on his feet. You should be able to repeat this 3 or 4 times before the alarm goes off. If you see a Big smiley face, that means Mochi has gone up a level. After about 4 "nights", I had Mochi dealing about 800 HP of damage per enemy.

Enjoy.

Good lord - thanks for posting that, as I would NEVER have figured that out. I thought it was all "hot spot" based. And I couldn't get him to more than about 7 or 8 little happy faces before the alarm went off. I have done that several times though and never got the level-up.

I have gotten him to roll over a few times (by accident I guess :D). And I think I tapped once or twice to get happy faces - but then he got back up. I'll try your method out this evening - thanks!

One more question RF - have you been able to get the Shadow Thief outfit? I don't want to know where or how - I only want to know if it is something you get as part of the regular game or something you have to search around in an old area (or do something special) to find. If it simply comes later that's fine - but I'm getting annoyed at finding all these chests I can't open. I've just started the Ft Eagle place (well, I'm in the fort anyway and just fought Snake).

[quote name='io']Good lord - thanks for posting that, as I would NEVER have figured that out. I thought it was all "hot spot" based. And I couldn't get him to more than about 7 or 8 little happy faces before the alarm went off. I have done that several times though and never got the level-up.

I have gotten him to roll over a few times (by accident I guess :D). And I think I tapped once or twice to get happy faces - but then he got back up. I'll try your method out this evening - thanks!

One more question RF - have you been able to get the Shadow Thief outfit? I don't want to know where or how - I only want to know if it is something you get as part of the regular game or something you have to search around in an old area (or do something special) to find. If it simply comes later that's fine - but I'm getting annoyed at finding all these chests I can't open. I've just started the Ft Eagle place (well, I'm in the fort anyway and just fought Snake).[/QUOTE]

I know where to get the Shadow theif, but I want to beat Aegis first. You can get info on where the shadow theif costume is, as well as the item needed to get the Fishing outift in the Aegis pyramids (after Ft Eagle). Finding the info on the Shadow thief outfit is a little tough, as is getting that item.

:lol: I ponder how many hours RF has spent in Contact to get to the same point I have (well, we were at the same point, when you first got to Aegis), but also discover that silliness with Mochi.

Reality's Fringe;2302182 said:
I know where to get the Shadow theif, but I want to beat Aegis first. You can get info on where the shadow theif costume is, as well as the item needed to get the Fishing outift in the Aegis pyramids (after Ft Eagle). Finding the info on the Shadow thief outfit is a little tough, as is getting that item.

Ah, yes, fishing, I figured that would come along soon too (what with the Professor babbling about good fishing spots near Ft Eagle). OK, well, then I can 'relax' for now and finish up Ft Eagle and not worry about the other outfits. Then I'll keep an eye out for stuff in these pyramids - thanks!

[quote name='io']Ah, yes, fishing, I figured that would come along soon too (what with the Professor babbling about good fishing spots near Ft Eagle). OK, well, then I can 'relax' for now and finish up Ft Eagle and not worry about the other outfits. Then I'll keep an eye out for stuff in these pyramids - thanks![/quote]Don't leave without the Flyboy costume!

[quote name='botticus']Don't leave without the Flyboy costume![/QUOTE]

Have no idea what you are talking about but I'll keep an eye out for it ;).

[quote name='botticus']:lol: I ponder how many hours RF has spent in Contact to get to the same point I have (well, we were at the same point, when you first got to Aegis), but also discover that silliness with Mochi.[/QUOTE]

It's a lot easier to spend time with the game when you blow off whatever obligations you have. Logic class or Contact....I think we know what wins out.

Oh yes, we certainily do.

[quote name='io']Have no idea what you are talking about but I'll keep an eye out for it ;).[/quote]
Recall the sleeping guard outside the entrance to the fort. Go north of the tree, and you'll run into a group of four pilots running around on the runway. Take them out and you get the Flyboy costume. Get ready to use a lot of Power Strikes cause they come at you pretty fast at the same time (for about 20 damage per attack). I would advise doing this before you tear through the fort, cause I don't know if they'll still be there afterwards.

OK, thanks Botticus - I will check that out tonight. I definitely would have missed that.

I don't know, though, I might have to set Contact aside to delve into this masterpiece:

http://ds.ign.com/articles/741/741239p1.html

OK, back to reality. I was able to do the Wi-Fi "contact" with another CAG tonight (drake0727). This is what happens - you see the name, click on it, wait a minute, and it says something like "congratulations - you made contact" (I'm paraphrasing). That's it. BUT, then it opens up a new island for you - "Wi-Fi Island" which has a wishing well and a dungeon. Inside the dungeon I found the guy I traded codes with (this is not online any more so it is just my game showing him in there). After talking to him I got a stat boost. Since the icon just flashed really quickly I'm not sure what it was. However, I didn't save, so I'm hoping I can go back in and do it again (and see if I get a different stat boost this time). He also PM'd me and said he didn't like my favorite food - so THAT's what happens to that info. I wonder when the "secret" comes into play? Anyway, I didn't see his favorite food, so I'm not sure how he found that out. I did see his wish on a sign next to the wishing well, but since I hadn't done mine yet maybe it showed him my favorite food instead? I dunno...

Anyway, the Wi-Fi thing is fairly limited but does add another little element to the game. However, it seems like something you want to do NOW while still playing as it adds stat boosts to your character. He also claims you get special decals too, but I didn't get one yet. The more people you "contact" the better stuff you get, I guess. We're not sure if multiple contacts with the same person do anything (or are even possible).

Botticus - since it seems to be working now, let's definitely give it a shot tomorrow.

Found a stack of these at BB on my lunch break and got it with a GGC (TRU be damned). Looking forward to getting started, but probably not tonight as we'll be going out. Drat!

Any tips for starting out?

Yeah, BB's web site is now showing it as being it in stock near me. Going out to dinner tonight, but may try to pick it up after.

-HM

[quote name='Tybee']Found a stack of these at BB on my lunch break and got it with a GGC (TRU be damned). Looking forward to getting started, but probably not tonight as we'll be going out. Drat!

Any tips for starting out?[/QUOTE]

Not really other than make sure you get the message in a bottle from the beach on the first island. I'm sure you can go back and get it later, but you might as well get it at first.

I'm on to the Pyramids now... I stopped last night after coming up with nothing to do to proceed. I'll have to think about that a bit more tonight when I play (before I bug RF or Botticus for the solution :lol:).

EB and BB now have it in my area. EB is $35 though, BB $30.

About GGCs, I've NEVER seen one in my store. I was in there today and looked very hard. Couldn't find a single one, or else I probably would have gotten Contact today.

[quote name='Z-Saber']EB and BB now have it in my area. EB is $35 though, BB $30.

About GGCs, I've NEVER seen one in my store. I was in there today and looked very hard. Couldn't find a single one, or else I probably would have gotten Contact today.[/QUOTE]

It seems to be hit and miss for people. There were a few more out at my location when I went this time. Best place to look is checkout (actually on the counter next to the register, not on the endcaps) or up by customer service. They're almost never in the game section anymore.

Don't be afraid to ask an employee if they have any. They may not know, but they also might have some in back or can direct you to some. You can even explain to them why you are looking for that specific card (because of the coupon). I got a guy to help me that way once.

In my store they're at the end of the CD aisle, facing outward. Near the checkout registers, but not right next to them, if it helps.

Gives you another place to look, anyway.

Got mine tonight with the GGC. They didn't even have Contact out yet - dude had to fetch it from the back.

I love this Best Buy - they have an entrance/set of registers that comes from the mall side, and one from the outside, so it's easy to buy the GGC, go out one exit, cut out the coupon, then come back in and go to the other exit to buy a game.

-HM

[quote name='Lan_Zer0']Is it just me, or does Ft. Eagle poke a little fun at mgs? The base infiltration, and the whole snake bit...[/quote]Yep.

I preferred the "massive damage" jab though.

[quote name='Hollow Man']
I love this Best Buy - they have an entrance/set of registers that comes from the mall side, and one from the outside, so it's easy to buy the GGC, go out one exit, cut out the coupon, then come back in and go to the other exit to buy a game.
[/QUOTE]

Hell, I don't even go through that effort. I just split the thing into two transactions. Just buy the GGC and put the exact amount for the game - coupon on the Gift Card and then buy the game with the coupon right after that.

I've never had an employee stop me from tearing the coupon out of the package right in front of them.

I'm really wavering on picking up Contact though. I'm debating having my BB price match the TRU deal though to pick up this and a few other DS games that I've been holding off on.

[quote name='psunami']Hell, I don't even go through that effort. I just split the thing into two transactions. Just buy the GGC and put the exact amount for the game - coupon on the Gift Card and then buy the game with the coupon right after that.

I've never had an employee stop me from tearing the coupon out of the package right in front of them.[/QUOTE]

I used to do this, too. And the cashiers, while a little confused, never gave me any problems. But one time I noticed the cashier went over and talked to her manager after finishing with me. Sure enough, the next time I went in that store all the GGCs were gone and they haven't been back since.

So now I make sure to put at least $5 on each card and never use them in the same trip.

if i get home early enough tonight i might run out to best buy and pick it up for 30 bucks using my Best buy mcdondald bucks

got around 160 of them and really nothing that i can think of buying

i probally should of sent out more and picked up a camcorder or something

right now thinking

contact 30
FF 3 30

would still have around 100 best buy bucks left with nothing to buy?

maybe FF12 but im thinking so many people will buy FF12 it will show up used very quickly

maybe children of mana but i heard it was lame

[quote name='Tybee']So now I make sure to put at least $5 on each card and never use them in the same trip.[/quote]
I just see little point in making it obvious that I'm wasting their paper and plastic to get $5 off. Granted it's their promotion, but still, the whole idea is that you buy the thing as a gift for someone, and they use the coupon. Color me weird, but I don't need to be blatent about how I use the card and coupon.

Since I used two different cashiers, they were none the wiser, and hopefully the cards will be around for a while.

BTW, the ones I use are newer and blue, not green (the "The Best Buy Gamer Gift Card Explained" thread says it's green).

-HM

I understand what you guys are saying about the cards. I try not to use them right when I buy them, but there are times when I'm just too lazy to walk to another cashier. Thankfully it hasn't cost us CAG's yet.

[quote name='RollingSkull']My BB doesn't care. Every cashier understands the GGC.[/quote]

The first time I used one of these things (a few weeks back) the cashier was perplexed, saying he'd never seen the coupon.

-HM

bread's done
Back