So how are you negotiating the economic freefall?

Capitalizt

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Gas heading to double digits, yeah, I'm predicting $10 by 2010.

Food prices going through the roof.

How will you keep money in your pocket?

How are you going to keep the roof you got over your head?

A few things I've been doing:
- Shop for clothes/shoes and FOOD at Wal-Mart. Always low prices...Always ;)
- Buy generic brands whenever possible. They taste 95% as good as name brands but cost 30% less.
- Drive a maximum of 60mph on the highway. Doing this gives you much lower RPMs and can give you 20-25% better gas mileage.
- I also bought a big tub of chocolate protein powder for the first time last month, and have been making chocolate milkshakes for breakfast 3-4 days a week. It's not as good as Mcdonalds, but it's fills you up for just pennies per shake.

What's your advice?
[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica] Any cheap ass living tips?
[/FONT]

It's not really affecting me yet, and I'm on a grad student budget--kind of. I make a good bit more than most grad students in my field though since I have a faculty research position and get paid extra for teaching etc.

I should be fine for the foreseeable future as well as I'll make pretty decent money when I graduate and I don't live particularly extravagantly, have kids to pay for etc. The latter could change obviously, but if I stay with my current girlfriend we should be fine as she doesn't have expensive tastes and makes good money as well.

Also, both of us love what we do (we're in the same field) so neither of us is in any rush to save up a nest egg to retire early--you don't get a Ph D and not start your real career until around age 30 if that's your goal.

So I'm not all that worried about it. I'll just make cut backs where needed if certain things like gas and food keep skyrocketing in price and start to affect my budget. Eat out less, spend less on the expensive micro brew and imported beer I love to drink, by fewer games (Goozex already helping vastly their), go to the movies less and just wait to rent on Netflix. etc. etc.

But I'm just not that worried about it yet. Eventually gas prices will fall, or we'll eventually see viable hydrogen cars or electric cars etc. Food prices will get straightened out, eventually it will be realized than ethanol isn't viable--just a question of how long that will take.

But eventually high prices will force change, be it new options or the market crashing and prices coming back down.

I keep money in my pocket and a roof over my head by working a good job...

I haven't cut back on much of anything, nor do I really plan to. I've got plenty in investments, savings, equity, etc that I'm fine no matter what "downturn" we face.

Not everything is as bad as the news wants you to believe. Not every part of the country is the same as well.

ok you rich bastards, lol...pretend your rent/mortgage tripled tomorrow. What would you do to cut back and make ends meet? I'm a broke mofo and need some tips. I already work and going to school part time so another job is out of the question ;)

I haven't cut back much. Not doing much traveling, but that's about the only change. Luckily, my job is switching to a 3-day work week. Result: I only have to drive back and forth to work 3 times a week, and I have 4 days off :D

[quote name='Capitalizt']ok you rich bastards, lol...pretend your rent/mortgage tripled tomorrow. What would you do to cut back and make ends meet? I'm a broke mofo and need some tips. Already working and going to school part time so another job is out of the question ;)[/quote]

I'd pay the bill anyway?

Hmm, cutting back. Let me think...

I'd reduce any and all shopping trips to maybe one day a week. Try to hit up everywhere you need to go then, or do it if it's on your way home from work, etc.

Food coupons. You would be amazed how much money you can save by using coupons at grocery stores, especially at those places that double/triple coupons.

If you aren't able to make ends meet, either reduce your expenses or increase your income. It's that simple really.

I haven't changed all too much. I haven't been buying too many games lately. The MGS 4 Bundle will put a dent in my pockets though.

I do all my grocery shopping at warehouse discount type stores. Winco, for example in this town. Every city has these types of food places. Mega Foods is another one, though I think they went out of business years ago. For $85 dollars or so I get food for 2 weeks and it's all the same as the stuff at Albertsons or Safeway but literally half the price. I get the same roast beef lunch meat at Winco for $2.49 that is $5.99 at Albertsons. Gatoraide is .75 at Winco and is 1.99 at Safeway. Insane.

Sometimes I run into Albertsons because it's more convenient on my way home from work if I need something and I walk out spending $30 on basically nothing. It's insane how expensive they are compared to Winco. WalMart is even more expensive then Winco. Especially with meat. The only downside is you have to bag your own groceries (no big deal, kinda fun) and the people that shop there are sometimes less then classy.

That's all I'm doing, and I've been doing that since I started buying my own food 15 years ago when I moved out on my own.

[quote name='Capitalizt']ok you rich bastards, lol...pretend your rent/mortgage tripled tomorrow. What would you do to cut back and make ends meet? I'm a broke mofo and need some tips. I already work and going to school part time so another job is out of the question ;)[/QUOTE]

The essentials are obviously food, shelter and clothing--and we all probably have more than we need of the latter.

You make cut backs everywhere else. If you don't have disposable income, you don't spend money on anything but rent, food and necessary utilities.

Stop buying games, dvds, cds etc. Quit eating out, it's cheaper to buy food and cook for yourself. Stop buying alcohol. Get rid of cable TV/satellite. Get rid of high speed internet if you have to. Use coupons as the other person suggested.

Manage other costs, turn up the thermostat, keep lights off, reduce amount of driving (consolidate errands etc.), pick up a roomate if you have space (and if not look to moving in with a roommate when lease is up if you rent) etc.

It's not rocket science. Just get on a budget and don't spend money on non-necessary stuff if you can't afford it. If you have some disposable income, then look at what you've been spending it on and prioritize what stuff you most want to keep--eating out? internet? cable? etc. and cut out enough stuff to not be spending more money than you're making.

Basically just do anything you can to cut expense and increase income (you can't get a 2nd job, but you can look for a better paying part time job, or work more hours. I've worked 30-40 hours, and often more, through grad school).

wal-mart is the reason we're in an economic crisis - always low prices, always undercutting and employing at the minimum wage - save 10 cents and cut out your local economy!

as for the freefall?
i moved to another country :D

[quote name='Capitalizt']ok you rich bastards, lol...pretend your rent/mortgage tripled tomorrow. What would you do to cut back and make ends meet? I'm a broke mofo and need some tips. I already work and going to school part time so another job is out of the question ;)[/QUOTE]

Here's some ideas
* = thinking of doing, ** = am doing

*carpool
*Cut off cable - almost anything shown on cable can be found on the internet for free
**food - buy generic brand foods/sale items/use coupons (most stores double coupons up tp $1)
**If you don't need a landline phone, get rid of it as well.
**clothes - you can go to a second hand shop/Goodwill/Walmart
**Keep your electronics/unnecessary appliances (meaning not your fridge) unplugged/serge protector turned off when they're not in use
**I think for A/C they say to keep it at 78. I usually turn it down at night to about 72.
**buying in bulk can be cheaper in the long run, but you have to be price savvy
**don't eat out as much

The area I'm in isn't doing so bad right now so now too much, but I am driving noticeably less and am eating at fewer restaurants.

As another grad student paid by my school, I'm doing alright. I am glad I got a normal job for the summer though. Technically I would have been fine without it, but it should cover most of my living expenses for the summer, allowing me to put some extra money away and not feel bad about buying a ps3.

In general I don't eat out often and buy generic brands anyway (for most things). I also don't have cable, but I'm almost never home when the few shows I would want to watch are on anyway. And I don't have a car, free public transportation is awesome.

Hasn't affected me yet. While the cost of gas/food has gone up quite a bit, my income is dramatically higher thus far this year thanks to the increased volitility of the financial markets.

But just as a matter of sound financial management, I buy whatever I can in bulk. I stock up on meats and other forzen food items that can be easily stored when there are good sales.

I work from home so the only real driving that I do is for pleasure, outside of the less than 2 mile trips to the local grocery store.

I am in the market for a new car and while I really don't care about MPG, the tremendous downward pressure on the auto market, specifically the sports car market, is making me wait for better deals later this year.

The problem with buying cheaper foods is that they're cheaper for a reason. They're very high in sodium, sugars and HFCS. I think the 10 cents you save on that box of X is probably going to cost you 12 cents in health care for your bigger ass and harder arteries.

I haven't really had to start cutting back yet. We' lucky in Tucson as we have the lowest gas prices in the nation. Not that it's that much lower, but I think the economy as a whole hasn't been hit as hard here as other places.

I am going to have to rethink my budget soon though, as my first child is due to be born in 12 days.

[quote name='Sleepkyng']wal-mart is the reason we're in an economic crisis - always low prices, always undercutting and employing at the minimum wage - save 10 cents and cut out your local economy!

as for the freefall?
i moved to another country :D[/quote]Uh, full time Wal Mart employees average over $10.00 an hour.

What a complete moron you are. I would like to know how a company that saves millions of Americans millions of dollars (which those Americans then in turn spend at OTHER places, helping the economy), while employing thousands of people who otherwise wouldn't be able to find work, is bad for the economy.

[quote name='Capitalizt']ok you rich bastards, lol...pretend your rent/mortgage tripled tomorrow. What would you do to cut back and make ends meet? I'm a broke mofo and need some tips. I already work and going to school part time so another job is out of the question ;)[/quote]

Hey! I resemble that remark! :cool: In seriousness though, it's the simplest and at the same time, most difficult thing to learn - live within your means and stay under your budget. Really. It's that simple... and that difficult. Simple because it's a case of money in, money out. Difficult because it means learning new habits and shedding old ones. First, start a business and learn about itemized deductions. This forces you to learn how to budget and manage which are also skills that translate well on a resume. Second, learn the art of timing. As for the specifics:

[quote name='SmartMoney.com']
Airplane Tickets
When to Buy: Wednesday morning.
Why: "Most airfare sales are thrown out there on the weekend," says travel expert Peter Greenberg, a.k.a. The Travel Detective. Other airlines then jump into the game, discounting their own fares and prompting further changes by the first airline. The fares reach their lowest prices late Tuesday or early Wednesday.

Books
When to Buy: Thursday.
Why: Price compare between major chains Borders and Barnes & Noble. The former releases its weekly sales and coupons on every Thursday; the latter, every Tuesday.

Cars
When to Buy: Monday.
Why: "Car dealers live for the weekend, which is when they make most of their sales," says Phil Reed, consumer advice editor for Edmunds.com. "On Mondays, the low foot traffic makes it seem like the weekend will never come." That dealer desperation, paired with fewer consumers on the lot, give you more negotiating power.

Clothing
When to Buy: Thursday evening.
Why: That's the day when stores stock their shelves for the weekend, and when many retailers — including Ann Taylor, Banana Republic and Express — start their weekend promotions, says Kathryn Finney, author of "How to Be a Budget Fashionista." You'll find great prices and the best selection. "It's an effort to get people to shop in the middle of the week," she says.

Department-Store Wares
When to Buy: Saturday evening.
Why: Department stores have a lot to mark down for their Sunday circulars, so they frequently start the process on Saturday evenings before store closing, says Finney. "They're preparing for the big rush," she says. Bonus: Even if the markdowns haven't been made, many employees will honor the sale price if you ask. Print out the circular preview from the store's web site, and bring it with you when you head to the mall.

Dinner Out
When to Buy: Tuesday.
Why: Most restaurants do not receive food deliveries over the weekend. "Sunday is the garbage-can day of the week," says Kate Krader, senior editor at Food & Wine magazine. "No doubt, they're cleaning out their fridges. Tuesdays, they're starting fresh." Dining out on that day offers the best odds you'll get a meal worth paying for, no matter your price point, she says.

Entertainment
When to Buy: Wednesday.
Why: Plenty of movie theaters, amusement parks and museums offer extra discounts to consumers who visit midweek. Six Flags theme parks offer a $12 discount to AAA members — three times its usual discount of $4. AMC Theatres offers members in its free AMC Movie Watcher reward program a free small popcorn on Wednesdays. (This summer, it's also the day select theaters offer free Summer Movie Camp screenings.)

Gas
When to Buy: Thursday, before 10 a.m.
Why: The price of oil isn't the only factor influencing costs at your local pump. Consumer usage plays a role, too — and weekend demand is high, says Jason Toews, co-founder of GasBuddy.com, a price-monitoring site. Prices usually swing upward on Thursdays as travelers fuel up to head out the following day. By hitting the pump before 10 a.m. (when many station owners change their prices), you'll beat the rush and the price jump.

Groceries
When to Buy: Sunday — or Tuesday.
Why: Maximize savings by combining store sales, which run from Wednesday to Tuesday, with the latest round of coupons from your Sunday paper, says Mary Hunt, publisher of Debt-Proof Living, a money-saving newsletter. "It's a smart idea to wait until you have those in hand to match up with the week's sale items," she says.

To snag savings on items you don't need just yet, shop on Tuesday, advises Hunt. Chances are, the store will have run out of the sale items. "That means you can pick up rain checks, which allow you to buy those items later when you need them, and at the sale price," she says.

Hotel Rooms
When to Buy: Sunday.
Why: There are two kinds of hotel managers, and the kind that won't give you a discount on your room rate has Sundays off, says Greenberg. Call the hotel directly, and ask to speak with the manager on duty or the director of sales. These employees are open to negotiation, he says. They'd rather have a booked room at a discounted rate than an empty room. (The rest of the week, your call would get you a so-called revenue manager, who monitors profits — and is rarely willing to lower rates.)
[/QUOTE]

Lastly, the best piece of advice I can give you is to learn the concept of the 'me' tax. It's a tax on yourself for the privilege of existing. This is not money to be invested or to be spent on frivolous, impulse buys. This is money towards a specific goal. It's a micro version of reverse budgeting (aka envelope budgeting). It's like using a credit card in reverse.

If something is worth $600 like say, oh, I dunno a PS3, then, instead of buying it w/ a credit card, every paycheck, you set aside $50. In a year's time, you'll have enough to buy it. But the point of this exercise is not to save money (that's only a nice side effect). This is to teach you (subconsciously) the concept of delayed gratification. You have that whole year to reflect on that impending purchase and you may find that when the day comes, you don't feel the need to buy the PS3 and put it towards something else that you may need/want to do like a vacation or hookers.

Even better, the guy from the other thread about making a mistake on buying a car can learn a thing or two on the right way to get things.

Also:

Don't Buy Stuff You Can't Afford

^Nice post. Yes, impulse buying can be a problem. I guess I didn't realize it, but I've been doing that concept for awhile. Been working pretty well. I don't do the "buy stuff I can't afford" all that well, but the stuff I've gotten has been insignificantly cheaper than full price. With that said getting something just because it's a good deal is not a reason to get it sometimes.

I'm doing ok I guess... Need to chuck my 4 jobs and get one big "real" one though... xD

One big thing to cut costs is any subscription based stuff. (I have to have a cell phone and internet though...)

During the Winter don't turn on the heater, get a room heater... Put on some clothes. If you're a hot chick I can provide warmth too. xD

During the summer don't turn on the A/c, get a portable A/c and aim it at yourself. Take off your clothes if ur an attractive chick. xD

In the Transportation arena if you are driving be more conscious about your habits. Don't brake so much or gas it so much.

-Fill up slowly when it's cold.

I'm trying to implement what UPS is doing by only making right turns. (It's not going all that well...)

-Plan out your trips and do them all in one shot then going back and forth.

These will hopefully save you money.

That's all I can think of at them moment.

My wife just started a full-time unpaid internship for the next 6 months and I have to do a half-time unpaid internship for 9 months starting in August. I'll keep my current job at half time to cover insurance costs and little else. Here's what we are currently doing to cut back:

1. Thermostat on 78 all day/night.
2. Not using the dryer, using a rack instead.
3. Not buying anymore games/dvds/electronics/etc.
4. No cable (we haven't had this for about 5 years now)
5. Keep all computers/electronics off when not in use.
6. We've decided to get rid of the internet connection on Monday (tomorrow). This will save us $500 a year and we can get free wifi from the library (only a 10 minute walk from here).
7. We run all our errands once a week on the way back from church to save on gas.
8. My wife is taking the bus to her internship (I have to have a car for work though).
9. We have a strict budget put together.
10. If we need to get somewhere during the week (other than work) we walk.
11. We shop at Aldi for groceries and we are on a diet (eating less food=buying less food).
12. My wife discovered something called The Grocery Game where she can track uber sale prices at stores like Walgreens.
edit: 13. It's been so long since we had a land line phone that I forgot that we don't have one. We use a cell phone instead.

Even with all these measures in place, we'll have to take out quite a large amount of student loans. I'm thinking about trying to fit in an evening job so I can bring in a little more cash. When all this is over, we plan to move closer to where we work too.

Shop at local farmers' markets for produce--less than the stores.
Teach online courses, so I only go into work one day per week
Shop online to save gas
Get clothes at Goodwill/for the kids at kid resale shops
Eat out less
No real way to save on my kids' activities, unfortunately

Wal-Mart is NOT always cheaper, not at all. We found stuff at the supermarket for lower than Wal-Mart's prices, and we didn't have to deal with the 45 minute lines to check out, disgusting aisles, and trash that shop there (at least at our location).

It's all part of their marketing scheme. If you make people THINK your prices are lower, then they don't have to be lower in reality. Wal-Mart has brilliantly fooled millions with this. Plus, at least at the Wal-Marts I've been to, you're wasting hours shopping in a cluttered store with incredibly long lines to check out. Even if you save a few cents, you're still wasting more of your time since you're not shopping in a store with kempt aisles and a reasonable number of checkout lines.

What's gas like in the states right now. I just did the conversion on our price here so it's in gallons and it came out at $5.16/gallon

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']it costs more money to go to work. thats about it so far.[/QUOTE]

QFT. And to visit friends.

I'm alleviating that by riding a bike to work and by ditching all my real-life friends.

[quote name='magiic']What's gas like in the states right now. I just did the conversion on our price here so it's in gallons and it came out at $5.16/gallon[/QUOTE]

Ouch. In Albany, it's anywhere from $4.07 to $4.30, depending on what station you go to.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Wal-Mart is NOT always cheaper, not at all. We found stuff at the supermarket for lower than Wal-Mart's prices, and we didn't have to deal with the 45 minute lines to check out, disgusting aisles, and trash that shop there (at least at our location).

It's all part of their marketing scheme. If you make people THINK your prices are lower, then they don't have to be lower in reality. Wal-Mart has brilliantly fooled millions with this. Plus, at least at the Wal-Marts I've been to, you're wasting hours shopping in a cluttered store with incredibly long lines to check out. Even if you save a few cents, you're still wasting more of your time since you're not shopping in a store with kempt aisles and a reasonable number of checkout lines.[/QUOTE]

Very true. No matter time of day you go to Walmart, you are waiting in a slow line. If you go on the weekends there are a million people there with just enough checkouts open to make the wait slightly less unbearable then being at the DMV. If you try to avoid the crowd and go during the work week or late at night, the actual store traffic is very light but they only have 2 registers open, each with huge lines. No matter what, Walmart sucks up a lot of time and because of that they are always pretty much my store of last resort.

Well a few things

1) Buying everything possible at discount grocery stores and Wal-Mart. I buy most of my products at Wal-Mart, and most of my food at Price Rite which is a food store that basically sells surplus. Yes i can't get those luxury frozen meals I always want, but times are rough friend.

2) Only driving to and from work and places along the way home. No more road trips/long trips to get some "video game" deal or to site see. Not at $4.20 a gallon anyway.

3) Cut my "personal expense" budget by 25%. Less games to buy at full price, so I am waiting for game sales and/or more Amazon gift certificates.

4) NO AC!!!! Yeah I am taking a bit of heat and it sucks, but my electricity bill is a good $100 or so cheaper a month without AC. Fans do the job in all weather under 85 imho. It's when it hits 90 (like now) I really feel the heat.

5) Never ever buy expensive clothing. I haven't shopped for expensive clothing in years, and when me and my wife went to the Phillipeans we stocked up on cheap clothing.

The economy will hurt regardless because we are spending less money on luxuries and more on gas. If gas was $2 a gallon again I would be buying so much more shit right now. I guess the gas price doesn't effect the upper class cause those idiots are still driving around in their hummers and gas guzzling SUVs and pickup trucks. Way to support the high gas prices you tools.

I don't have a car (and it fucks up your dating life).

That's my biggest cutback. Aside from that, I will be completely debt free next month and I will have extra spending money the months afterwards. That extra spending money is due to the fact that I don't have a car though...

[quote name='Xevious']I don't have a car (and it fucks up your dating life).

That's my biggest cutback. Aside from that, I will be completely debt free next month and I will have extra spending money the months afterwards. That extra spending money is due to the fact that I don't have a car though...[/quote]

A car doesn't necessarily kill your dating life. It just means you've got to find more creative means of transportation. My friends in New York city get by quite well w/o a car. Even as a teen on the North side of Chicago, I'd always find a way to get to a girl's house in the suburbs (and sometimes Indianapolis).

Yeah, but keep in mind a lot of people have little or no public transit options. It's easy to do in a lot of big cities, harder in some others, and nearly impossible in small cities or rural areas.

I could never get by without a car as I hate public transit and like the freedom of driving. I just don't buy gas guzzlers and try to cut back else where to deal with gas prices. Though, like I said, the gas prices aren't killing me yet. Just a mild annoyance.

Moving closer to work, is really the only thing I'll be doing. Just went over $1,000 mark for the year (in gas that I've bought).

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Wal-Mart is NOT always cheaper, not at all. We found stuff at the supermarket for lower than Wal-Mart's prices, and we didn't have to deal with the 45 minute lines to check out, disgusting aisles, and trash that shop there (at least at our location).

It's all part of their marketing scheme. If you make people THINK your prices are lower, then they don't have to be lower in reality. Wal-Mart has brilliantly fooled millions with this. Plus, at least at the Wal-Marts I've been to, you're wasting hours shopping in a cluttered store with incredibly long lines to check out. Even if you save a few cents, you're still wasting more of your time since you're not shopping in a store with kempt aisles and a reasonable number of checkout lines.[/quote]

Exactly, I still live with my parents in the summer since I live in a dorm in college. Whenever they say we are going to Wal-Mart I say fuck no. Every time I step into a Wal-Mart I get the feeling that this store has been made for trash. Most of the people there are either of a foreign nature or are redneck or trashy people. There is 20 checkout lines and 3 are only open, and I see no difference in prices than other stores except for the electronics because my Wal-Marts never have any good deals. Hell I would rather step into a K-mart that a Wal-Mart.

What do I do about the economy?
Well basically I don't drive except for my summer job at A&W or I need to go to the mall (which is rare because all my cash is going towards a new PC).

My god you people must either think so highly of yourselves that your shit doesn't stink, or go to Wal Marts in the most ghetto cities in the country. There are 2 Wal Mart Supercenters in the town I work at, and they are perfectly clean stores, and I almost never have to wait in line as long as some of you people are claiming you have to.

Also, as far as groceries go, Wal Mart is a hell of a lot cheaper than local grocery stores around here like Cub Foods, Rainbow, or the ritzy swank places like Lunds and Byerlys.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']I guess the gas price doesn't effect the upper class cause those idiots are still driving around in their hummers and gas guzzling SUVs and pickup trucks. Way to support the high gas prices you tools.[/QUOTE]

So...gas goes up, and people are expected to sell their vehicles to get new ones? I somehow don't see that as being cost effective.

I bought a new pickup back in December; yeah, it sucks when I have to fill the tank, but it's about being smart with your traveling.

Pretty much not falling for the overblown hype about how grave everything is helps a lot. When you realize the problem is minor most places in the country, and you just realize that you just need to budget a little bit more for gas, it's all ok. :)

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']My god you people must either think so highly of yourselves that your shit doesn't stink, or go to Wal Marts in the most ghetto cities in the country. There are 2 Wal Mart Supercenters in the town I work at, and they are perfectly clean stores, and I almost never have to wait in line as long as some of you people are claiming you have to.

Also, as far as groceries go, Wal Mart is a hell of a lot cheaper than local grocery stores around here like Cub Foods, Rainbow, or the ritzy swank places like Lunds and Byerlys.[/QUOTE]

Columbus, OH is definitely not the most ghetto city in the country, and I am NOT exaggerating in my posts. You must just have decent Wal-Marts nearby. Some are better than others, but it boggles the fucking mind that people shop at the local one when the store is disgusting, the lines are ridiculous, and the prices aren't even cheaper than anywhere else. There's a Target across the street, and several supermarkets just a couple miles away.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']My god you people must either think so highly of yourselves that your shit doesn't stink, or go to Wal Marts in the most ghetto cities in the country.[/QUOTE]

You, sir, have most likely never been in a Northern California Wal-Mart store. They are exactly as people are describing, and then some. Horrendous lines day and night, cluttered aisles, and the lowest class of morbidly obese mouth-breathers that ever waddled out of their double wides. I will go out of my way to patronize any other store besides Wal-Mart.

This thread rocks, thanks for that link jaykrue. My contribution is don't blow 600 bucks on drugs in two weeks time. I've sold almost all of my Xbox 360 shit for coke, and it does not feel good.

What the hell is a luxury TV dinner? Aren't those terms mutually exclusive? :lol:

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Well a few things

1) Buying everything possible at discount grocery stores and Wal-Mart. I buy most of my products at Wal-Mart, and most of my food at Price Rite which is a food store that basically sells surplus. Yes i can't get those luxury frozen meals I always want, but times are rough friend.

2) Only driving to and from work and places along the way home. No more road trips/long trips to get some "video game" deal or to site see. Not at $4.20 a gallon anyway.

3) Cut my "personal expense" budget by 25%. Less games to buy at full price, so I am waiting for game sales and/or more Amazon gift certificates.

4) NO AC!!!! Yeah I am taking a bit of heat and it sucks, but my electricity bill is a good $100 or so cheaper a month without AC. Fans do the job in all weather under 85 imho. It's when it hits 90 (like now) I really feel the heat.

5) Never ever buy expensive clothing. I haven't shopped for expensive clothing in years, and when me and my wife went to the Phillipeans we stocked up on cheap clothing.

The economy will hurt regardless because we are spending less money on luxuries and more on gas. If gas was $2 a gallon again I would be buying so much more shit right now. I guess the gas price doesn't effect the upper class cause those idiots are still driving around in their hummers and gas guzzling SUVs and pickup trucks. Way to support the high gas prices you tools.[/quote]

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Columbus, OH is definitely not the most ghetto city in the country, and I am NOT exaggerating in my posts. You must just have decent Wal-Marts nearby. Some are better than others, but it boggles the fucking mind that people shop at the local one when the store is disgusting, the lines are ridiculous, and the prices aren't even cheaper than anywhere else. There's a Target across the street, and several supermarkets just a couple miles away.[/QUOTE]

DoK, anytime I'm in Columbus I never see a reason to go to Wal-Mart. You have to be just wanting to avoid the drive/bus ride with all of the specialty shops around the area. :lol: For food I usually hit up something like the North Market or Whole Foods Market, and for other dry items it's usually a Target or Giant Eagle.

The Walmart where I live is a real travesty and it's rarely cheaper than any other store. Even if an item is, it's not by enough to make up the opportunity cost of my time.

Reality's Fringe;4461345]DoK said:
have[/B] to be just wanting to avoid the drive/bus ride with all of the specialty shops around the area. :lol: For food I usually hit up something like the North Market or Whole Foods Market, and for other dry items it's usually a Target or Giant Eagle.

The Walmart where I live is a real travesty and it's rarely cheaper than any other store. Even if an item is, it's not by enough to make up the opportunity cost of my time.

The only reason we were in Walmart anyway was cause I got a PS3 with a $100 gift card there and we were looking to spend it. We ended up leaving after getting in line to pay for 3 small things and the line was going nowhere after 10 minutes. The next day we found the same items for much cheaper at Kroger.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']My god you people must either think so highly of yourselves that your shit doesn't stink, or go to Wal Marts in the most ghetto cities in the country. There are 2 Wal Mart Supercenters in the town I work at, and they are perfectly clean stores, and I almost never have to wait in line as long as some of you people are claiming you have to.

Also, as far as groceries go, Wal Mart is a hell of a lot cheaper than local grocery stores around here like Cub Foods, Rainbow, or the ritzy swank places like Lunds and Byerlys.[/QUOTE]

Ok, Lund's is a bit overpriced ($26 for maraschino cherries in a Dutch-style painted ceramic jar? Really?), but Rainbow is the fuckin' jam, man. They have tons of whole/bulk foods, raw foods, loose teas and coffees. They aren't cheap, but they aren't expensive for what they offer.

If you cook your food, a place like Rainbow is phenomenal. If you microwave your "Hungry-Man" dinners, then, perhaps Wally World works for you. To be fair, though, I have seen somewhat reasonable-looking produce in Wal-Mart before.

And Columbus is swank - Detroit, OTOH, is the filthiest place I've ever fucking been to. It's like living in "Robocop." But, hey, I'm goin' rural here in a month or so, moving to Athens, OH. Guess I'll be going to C-bus for fun whether I like it or not.

bread's done
Back